PDA

View Full Version : ALB & TCS lights coming on

scafwell
18-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Any advice please?

I've just noticed that the Anti Lock Brakes (ALB) and Traction Control System (TCS) amber cautionary light(s) have started to come on when driving any more that 10mph on my 91 NSX. Also, the engine retards slightly in 1st gear (from about 4000rpm) then seems to clear itself and doesn't happen again until the engine is re-started. This symptom occured at the same time the ALB & TCS lights started to come on.

I rarely use the car, and wondered if anyone had any ideas? Do the ALB & TCS systems share any fuses? Could the retard in 1st gear be connected to the TCS?

I look forward to any comments.

Thank you.

trackdemon
18-07-2006, 11:20 AM
I'm no expert, but it does sound sensor related....

kowalski
18-07-2006, 11:24 AM
Ok, I know this will sound stupid, but if not fuses, check the brake light bulbs!

Mine did this about 3 years ago, took it into Brighton Honda (non NSX dealer) who spent an hour or so looking for the fault with no joy. They phoned a Honda UK NSX dealer and were told to check brake lights and hey presto, the passenger side had failed, once replaced fault gone. No charge from Honda, only cost of new bulb.

It has happened to me again since then with the same fix!

Hope this works for you!

leigh

kevinpsw
18-07-2006, 11:35 AM
He's probably right. Mine did the same the day after I bought it - instant heart attack.

I understand that the ALB system does a self check the first time the brakes are pressed, which is probably about when they came on. The ALB's know when to check when the lights come on. Presumably, with a dead bulb the self check fails. Not sure why the TCS comes on at the same time, maybe it has a similar test sequence.

kowalski
18-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Glad someone else can confirm it, thought it an odd fix.

I think the rear wheel ALB speed sensors are used by the TCS system, so if you get ALB failure then TCS fails as well.

leigh

NSXGB
18-07-2006, 12:54 PM
....blimey....you've had a bulb blow!!! :shock: That's so unlucky.

kowalski
18-07-2006, 04:05 PM
It might still be something expensive, like a speed sensor, but best to check the lights & fuses first before Honda has a look.

And ive also been unluckier in blowing the engine as well! but thats a different topic!

leigh

scafwell
19-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks to you all.

I'll try the bulbs and keep you all informed.

Thanks.

Papalazarou
20-07-2006, 07:49 AM
It might still be something expensive, like a speed sensor, but best to check the lights & fuses first before Honda has a look.

And ive also been unluckier in blowing the engine as well! but thats a different topic!

leigh

I had the same problem with mine and it was a nearside front ABS sensor. Aparently if it is a sensor this is the most common one to go first.

Cheers,

James.

scafwell
23-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I've now checked the bulbs and they're all fine. Next on the supect list I suspose is a faulty ABS sensor. Question is, which one? Has anyone checked these before? Is there a procedure for checking them, or is "back-to-Honda" job? Once again, any input would be greatly appreciated.