PDA

View Full Version : Engine Rebuild

kowalski
08-06-2004, 08:45 PM
Just got the car back after the engine blow up after Castle Combe! :cry:

The engine had a head gasket failure from the front bank due to a corrosion crack in the cylinder head, the water pump had also failed. Had to have the engine out, stripped down and both heads sent off for crack testing / warp checked etc. The damaged head was repaired and both heads were skimmed to match. Had to have a new water pump and end casing. I decided to take the opportunity to change all the seals / belts and carry out the major service whilst it was all in bits. Also had the valve covers resprayed red so it looks nice!

So total cost was 4500 pounds after discount. Work was carried out by Yeomans Honda (ex Coopers of Worthing).

The car has to be run in for a 1000 miles but is running smoothly and seems to be up on power! maybe slightly higher compression on the skimmed heads. :P so far have down 600 miles since rebuild

I might take it to Le Mans this weekend, should be a nice run down!

The car is a 91, 3.0 manual, had 110,000 miles at time of failure.

Leigh

modarr
10-06-2004, 06:55 PM
Hi Leigh

Glad to see you up and running.

That sounds like a fairly good deal, I spent similar money on an engine re-build on a Caterham. As you're probably thinking, I was fleeced. In fact that's why I sold it.

Mo