PDA

View Full Version : New Wheels & Tyres

NSX 2000
11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Bought a new set of wheels yesterday :) see below

http://www.rarerims.co.uk/alloys.php?product_id=e379ac25f19934aae4f8709e5535 2b63&startrow=0

They are a copy of the Works wheels (see OPT car for sale)

Anyway went with 17" up front and 18" at the rear and asked to have Toyo Proxes T1-R's fitted. They have just called to let me know they can't get the Toyo's and that they are on back order so may have to wait a week or two if I want this tyre :cry:
They have however offered to fit Goodyear F1's instead at no extra cost :? .

So do I wait for the Toyo's or go with Goodyear and get my wheels this week :?

Lankstarr
11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Matt and I have Goodyear Eagle F1s and are both happy - that said I have heard a lot of good things about the Toyos.

Q really is - is your car off the road at the mo whilst you are waiting? - If not then you have waited long enough for your rims (probably) and what's an extra week or two when your tyres will be on there at least 1800 miles!!!

Also... if you dont mind me asking - How much were they all in (did you wangle a deal!?) and are they any lighter than std rims?

NSX 2000
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
Also... if you dont mind me asking - How much were they all in (did you wangle a deal!?) and are they any lighter than std rims?

All the stuff that I could find on Rota wheels would suggest that they are in general lighter than OEM's. Rota wheels are popular on the Japanese driffit circuit because they make small sizes as well as big.

All four wheels with tyers fitted £857.00 incl VAT, I think the price for the wheels on their own was about £490.

Senninha
11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
This is one of the 3 designs I like on the NSX, the others being OEM 02+ or the rare as rocking horse poo, Advan 5's.

Have you gone for silver or gunmetal finish?

Look forward to photo's on the car soon.

NSX 2000
11-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Senninha Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:50 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the 3 designs I like on the NSX, the others being OEM 02+ or the rare as rocking horse poo, Advan 5's.

Have you gone for silver or gunmetal finish?

As I wanted to go up an inch, it meant that I could have any colour as long as it was bronze.

Lankstarr
11-07-2006, 04:49 PM
As I wanted to go up an inch

Don't we all!?

I'll be interested to hear about clearance and ride issues if any once you have them on - I need to go up 2 inches and would like to have 19/18 on the NSX as I've seen pics and think they look fantastic. Dreaming a bit for a while but when I am in wheel mode I'll be doing a lot of research to find the best all round compromised package.

Maybe you have it there :D - I'll be interested to see and hear about the difference 8)

DAVEMAT
11-07-2006, 05:49 PM
I decided to add a couple of inches, but now i've caught one one the curb.
I'm currently running 18x8.5/19x10 IForged alloys, after initial problems with clearance at the front, I contacted Mark at Dali who suggested 215/35/18 front which now works perfectly well, and I remained with the 275/35/19 rears.

Dave

Papalazarou
11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow, everyone's buying new wheels. Well at least two of us. Mine turned up today from Japan. This is a very useful thread because I was contemplating which tyres to put on myself.
Mine are 17x8 and 17 x 9's.

Cheers,

James.

britlude
11-07-2006, 06:07 PM
i'm still looking for 17/18 combo I like! serves me right for being picky!

Senninha
11-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Wow :shock:

That's an impressive few inches you've got there James! :wink:

They should fill your arches! Look forward to seeing them on your X soon.

:arrow: Like you I'm interested in the 17" tyre debate. May be running Dunlop while the debate continues. I hope to be running OEM sizes, so keen to hear from any 02+ owners experience of different brands, performance wet n dry, wear etc.

Regards

jaytip
11-07-2006, 06:46 PM
Iv'e still got these if anybody wants to make me an offer on them.They were on the car for a few days.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=321

Papalazarou
11-07-2006, 09:15 PM
I have two questions which I should probably know the answer to;

1. what are the wheel/tyre sizes for a 02+ NSX.
2. Could I get away with 215/17/40's or should I go 225's?

Cheers,

James.

kowalski
11-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Nice wheels James! was thinking of getting my centres sprayed gold when i refurbed them, thought the car would look a bit too JPS though on a black!

Think it will look good on Red!

I've been running 17/18's for a few years with no problems, even with the lowered type R suspension, (think the offsets on mine are +39) Still swear by Bridgestone S03 as the best tyre i've ever had on a car!

Have you got any pics of your wheels Dave?

leigh

Senninha
11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
1. what are the wheel/tyre sizes for a 02+ NSX.
2. Could I get away with 215/17/40's or should I go 225's?

02+ are 7" front and 9" rears with 215/40 and 245/40 respectively.

As you've gone wider on the front I would expect you will need to run wider tyres. I think there's a guide either here or on Prime for min/max tyre to rim ratios.

regards

Papalazarou
12-07-2006, 07:46 AM
I guessed as much but wasn't sure. Thanks for that.

Cheers,

James.

Lankstarr
12-07-2006, 08:38 AM
lovely wheels mate - i approve ;o)

NSX 2000
12-07-2006, 11:19 AM
Just to let you know I went with Goodyear Eagle F1's as I would like my wheels sooner rather than later :D .

TheQuietOne
12-07-2006, 02:29 PM
Good choice in my opinion...post some pics when they're on!

Matt.

Ciaran
15-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Sorry this is a bit late in this tread, but I could not take photos when the car was dirty :oops: :oops:

Anyway, as a Christmas present I was "permitted" to be silly and get "bling" wheels, so I got these from Mark in Dali. They are Enki 17 x8 with a +45 offset in front, and 18 x9.5 with +38 offset at the rear. The rear caused us some fun, as a slight "adjustment" to the calliper carrier was required. Not everyone's cup of tea, but neither was a spacer to me, so we opted to apply a nail file to the carrier. Anyway very happy with results. Using Kumho MX all around. 215/40/17, and 265/35/18. I was very concerned that the ride might be a lot harder as a result of lowering the profile, but I am assured from she who would notice these things that this is not the case :roll:

But the bit I like most is the "stance" from behind, IMO it is much more aggressive, only as the car is entitled to be 8)

ctrlaltdelboy
16-07-2006, 09:27 AM
nice 8)

any idea what the weights of these wheels are?

Ciaran
16-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Mark is quoting 15.21 and 18.5 lbs (yes I know thats in old money).
Details are here

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1771

ctrlaltdelboy
16-07-2006, 09:13 PM
you mean 15.66 and 18.5 lbs on your sizes (the others above are for 7.5" fronts)

http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1951

a bit lardy compared to my 13.5 and 16.35lb Volks, but still an improvement over the 16.75 and 20.85lb oem's

:wink:

Martin
16-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Hello Ciaran

Nice wheels. Maybe when I am next in Ireland visiting the folks we can catch up...

By the way, do you know of any other NSXs in Southern Ireland?

I'll never forget the reaction mine got in Ireland when I brought it over in Sep 2004!! :shock:

You just dont see cars like that over there really do you? Where I grew up in Ireland everyone has a Nissan Primera :) Not a bad car, but, you see them everywhere :|

Ciaran
17-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi Martin, yes it still turns a few heads over here, my local friendly Mr. Plod reckons there are only 6 registered in the country 8) 8)

If you ferry it over here, let me know & we can have a "group meet" :lol: on the greener side...

Darren, sorry to miss lead you, but I posted the wheel size I went looking for , but Mark talked me into 7.5" fronts as the 8" with 235's tend to rub when turned in, so I went for the 7.5", also he had them in stock... also the set were $920, and the dollar to weight ratio seemed pretty good to me. The best weight saving plan on my car involves the large round bit that attaches to the top of the drivers seat....

:roll:

Martin
17-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Ciaran,

I'm up for bringing "Panther" over some time this year and like you say have a group meet :lol:

Is that 6 in Northern + Southern Ireland combined, or just Southern Ireland?

And do you know where in Ireland the other 5 are dotted around?

Cheers
Martin

gsuds
18-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Ciaran,

:lol: Quite right mate, one can save a fortune on carbon-fibre bells & whistles simply by not raiding the fridge routinely for midnight snacks (maybe just me then.. :oops: ). The reason we buy these things is because they're cool. Ditto trying to justify them to "she who must be obeyed"...

Wheels are different though - unsprung weight is the enemy of handling/ride/balance, and I really do wonder about the current trend for ever-bigger (and much heavier) "bling" wheels. EVO mag are scratching their heads as to why (they think) the new MX5 doesn't handle as well as it ought...in a small, lowish-powered car the 18" wheels are completely inappropriate. The original had Minilite-alikes and just danced along perfectly.

For track use, outright grip becomes the issue, and big wheels/tyres more appropriate, but they still need to be light, therefore usually more expensive.

I will now admit though that my car's got the later (1" larger all round) wheels. They look cool!

Senninha
18-07-2006, 10:08 AM
I will now admit though that my car's got the later (1" larger all round) wheels. They look cool!

So are you on 16/17 combo or later? I'm close to going the route of 17" OEM wheels and would be interested in your comments re the handling/ride over the original set up. Have you made any other chassis mods or did you simply bolt on the new rims?

Also, what tyres are you running? I'm being offered MIchelin Pilot Sport 2 or the Goodyear F1's. Both have good wet weather performance and good wear rates and I beleive are quieter than the Bridgestones.

regards

gsuds
18-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Think I'm as much use as a handbrake in a canoe on this one :oops:

Have had the car just 2 months so down to the previous owner(s) really. Tyres are P7000 front, PZero rear - fronts getting near to the wear indicators so hoping the rears "catch up" in wear terms then I can change all at once. It's the 16/17 set up as you say. No complaints (and recoloured anthracite so look good too!), but grip not all it could be (not surprising) and I think I'll go with Toyo option next. They don't make a 215/45 16" - can I go to 225 happily enough?

Senninha
18-07-2006, 11:47 AM
With 225 you may experience some rubbing to the inner arch and I'm sure I'm right that this is the max you would want to go to on std rims.
If you did have this problem, then a small spacer would help by pushing the wheels out by 3 or 5mm.
I'm not sure if would need to do the rears to keep balance/handling true?

Sounds like a question to Darren....or a bit more research here or on Prime.

HTH

jaytip
18-07-2006, 02:59 PM
I think I'll go with Toyo option next.
Flinty who i bought my car off had toyo's on his(don't know which ones though) and he took them off pretty soon because he said the car felt awful on them.I believe he still has them if you want to get in touch with him.I think they are rear's

NSXGB
18-07-2006, 03:24 PM
Think I'm as much use as a handbrake in a canoe on this one :oops:

Have had the car just 2 months so down to the previous owner(s) really. Tyres are P7000 front, PZero rear - fronts getting near to the wear indicators so hoping the rears "catch up" in wear terms then I can change all at once. It's the 16/17 set up as you say. No complaints (and recoloured anthracite so look good too!), but grip not all it could be (not surprising) and I think I'll go with Toyo option next. They don't make a 215/45 16" - can I go to 225 happily enough?

I bought my car with PZero's on the rear (rear tracking at less aggressive setting), they were used up in 3000 miles, so I doubt you will have long to wait....
Since then I have done 3 sets of rear tyres to the one set of fronts at OEM settings....

NSXGB
18-07-2006, 03:27 PM
Ciaran, now you have the wheels, how about lowering your motor an inch or so, would finish the look IMHO?

gsuds
18-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Thanks all :)

I do remember the tyre thread(s) and Flinty being unhappy with T1-Rs, though some others find them OK.

Possibly then go with S-03s (had them on an MX5 before - v.g.) or if more skint the Kumhos - if they're good enough for Kevin...

Now recall that Mark at Dali and a couple of Honda dealers didn't think there'd be a problem with increasing widths by 10mm front & rear (but it does increase unsprung weight :wink: )

Graham

ctrlaltdelboy
18-07-2006, 05:00 PM
depends on your offset, but I found my Goodyear Eagle F1 225/45/16's rubbed on the inside fender with my TE37s (16x8" rim, +40 offset, no spacer) but were fine with the factory rims (16x7", +55 offset, with or without 5mm spacer)

however, my car sits on H&R Sport lowering springs (http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=419), which drop the car 1.5 inches, so stock height might differ from my experience.

more info on wheel weights etc in my (much) earlier post here
http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=216

Andy
19-07-2006, 08:45 AM
Darren

Are new springs all you need to lower an NSX - no changes to dampers etc?

ctrlaltdelboy
19-07-2006, 09:49 AM
shorter springs do the trick fine, provided that they are made for the job and you are happy with the spring rate.

alternatively you can go for replacement shocks with a lower spring perch than oem - a particularly good option if you have tired shocks anyway and also want a lower look.

you can of course combine both shorter springs and utilise a lower perch for a 'double-whammy' of lowering - the H&R + bilstein package (http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/suspension/suspension_warrior_tanker.cfm?focus=565&CFID=480948&CFTOKEN=58795666) from Dali will lower the car by 2.25" if set to the lower perch.

this is the setup I have, but I usually run on the upper perch - here is a pic with the car on the lower perch though

http://www.darrenferneyhough.com/images/nsx/coombe4a.jpg

Andy
19-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks Darren I think 2.25" will be too low (but yours looks good for the track!) :D
Andy

Ciaran
19-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Apologies for late replies, this work thing keeps getting in the way... :?

Martin, the 6 cars that are on the system are only in the South, I have no way of knowing how many are in the North. As far as I can tell, there are possibly three in Dublin, at least one in the West, Sligo, I think, and I'm unsure after that.

If you planning on travelling, The local Porsche club are running a track day in Mondello on August 4th, they kindly let me play with the other Porsches :twisted: :twisted: and welcome any exotica :wink: You should visit your folks......

Graham, your right, if I could stay away from either the bickie barrell, the Hagan Dass, or the miller, the car would be seconds faster per lap.......

And finally NSXGB (sorry I 'm sure I shold have a first name, but cannot recall seeing it..) I am trying desperately to stay away from mods, but looking at Darrens' lowered car is very tempting, yes it would finish the job properly, but I keep telling myself that a comb of poor roads, speed humps, and grabbing a bit to much kerb on the track days would only end in tears :x .. but I keep wondering.. :wink:

After Aug 4th I can report on the Kumho MX, on track, together with bigger wheels, - can't wait 8)

NSX 2000
09-12-2006, 11:03 PM
When I changed the wheels I did weigh both the orignal wheels and the new ones on the bathroom scales :) , but forgot to post the results :( , so better late than never,
Front origanl Honda wheel (16") with very worn tyre 16.6 kg.
New front wheel (17") with Goodyear eagle F1 tyre 17 kg.
Rear origanl Honda wheel (17") with worn tyre 18.8 kg.
New rear wheel (18") with Goodyear eagle F1 tyre 20.6 kg.
So not to bad at the front but not very good at the rear :( .