PDA

View Full Version : Slightly off the NSX track but, S2000 . . . .

Minch
09-07-2006, 12:19 PM
My girlfriend has been looking at S2000's for bl**dy ages but she is a bit of a tight wad (her dad is Scottish!!!). She has enough cash to buy the exact spec she wants i.e. Moonstone with Black and Red leather, 2004-06. However I just wanted some opinions about the 1999 spec S2000 from those of you who have had the pleasure of owning one. I have herad that the suspension set-up is a bit dodgy on the early models and obviously know about the 'facelift' of the later model but are there any REAL downsides to the earlier model?

I'd appreciate any info as I've been trying to get her out of the crappy 206 1.4LX for years. :?

ctrlaltdelboy
09-07-2006, 12:55 PM
early models (pre-02) had carpeted tunnel rather than leather - this looks a bit untidy even in well looked after examples, let alone tatty ones.

also, the button for the headlamp washers is on the tunnel and is very easy to hit by accident - you get a real shower from this when the roof is down. later version relocated this button to the dash

also the rear screen is plastic and gets into a right state as it folds when the roof is stowed - later models have a glass rear screen.

the suspension on early models is more aggressive, which is cool if you are used to rwd cars and how know how to push out and bring back the tail at will, but it;s a liability for those who are not experienced in this!

later versions have a tamer set-up but do not be fooled - plenty of inexperienced in rwd drivers still stuff them into hedges or worse.

I miss my S2000 terribly and vow to get another at some point in the near future.

hope this helps

Minch
09-07-2006, 01:01 PM
Thats great Darren. The one we're considering is a 1999 for £10,450. I think a set out Nitrons might be in order. Otherwise its spending about £20k on the spec she really wants.

How do you think it compares to your NSX pre-race spec?

ctrlaltdelboy
09-07-2006, 01:07 PM
in my opinion....

S2000 fun factor is higher than NSX
full convertible is much more satifying in the summer than NSX-T or coupe (used to go topless in mine all year round, rain or shine 8) )
performance is of course less than NSX but not a huge amount - with R compound tyres and the ability to drive them at the edge makes it a formidable beast - I was all over the bumper of a Tuscan 4.0 last summer on a cruise at every point except for long straights

for £11k it's a bargain summer car - you can just live with the carpeted tunnel and plastic screen for that price!

Minch
09-07-2006, 01:12 PM
My thoughts exactly!

Its quite funny actually because she never thrashes her car (not that you can actually thrash a 206!) and when I forced her to take an S2000 out for a test drive I thought she'd be scared senseless but she came back with a huge grin on her face and just said, "You'd love it, I'm getting one". So hopefully if this one I'm looking at isn't a complete dog and Lucy likes it I'll have two Hondas to play with this summer. :D

Greybloke
09-07-2006, 05:00 PM
As above, small changes over the last 6 years.
I had a 99 then a 03 which I still miss ( but not enough to change back :lol: ) and can confirm the rear end sensitivity of the early one. However I never felt intimidated by the handling, you just learn and adapt.

The best advice I can give you is to look at S2ki.com, a great resource for info. There is also a fantastic amount of aftermarket gear should you wish to tweek or customise 8) Oh they do use oil check every few days :shock:

Do it!

sportyking
09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
I agree with Darren on all of that, but I would go for the newer one for a couple of other reasons. I have owned an original (01) and an 04 but skipped the halfway house 02-03.
Many people have differing views on the S2000 setup through the various years. I never really had an issue with either and just drove them for what they were, though I do believe the 04 and RE050 tyres are much more suited to the road for normal drivers than the 01 with S02s. Also the 17 inch wheels are prettier and have better tyre options available.

But the reason I would go for the 04 is that more than a few S2000s out there have been ragged to death and if you don't know the history of a car, be aware that some of the older cars have been going pop recently.

Also, the price of the 04s dropped considerably over the winter and despite what some would have you believe has not recovered, so there are relatively new cars out there from just over 17k upwards with the benefit of a warranty and the option of an extended warranty. It will lose a bit more than an 00 over the years but not much more considering the better driving environment and peace of mind.

Case in point is Lloyd, a guy both Darren and I know :D has just traded in his nice looking average miles 99-00 silver S2000 for around the same money as every one else gets offered but his has had a very hard life and as the private plate stayed with Lloyd, who will ever know :(

Back to the original question though there is nothing wrong with or scary about an early S2000 (or any other car) when the driven within the abilities of the driver.

Minch
09-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Lucy is slowly taking all this info in. She might even get her wallet out soon . . . actually . . . :lol:

Senninha
09-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Nathan,

If Lucy's budget will stretch, def go for the 04 model year. Less intimidating for her with the revised set-up, better trim & alloys as mentioned, easier to drive as they upgraded gearbox internals to further improve one of the best shifts in the market.

They also addressed Greybloke's note ref oil consumption. I did 20k in a year in mine (roof of most of the time as the heating is great!!), and used less than half a litre oil between services.

Also, when mine went it still had 4mm on the fronts and a couple to go on the rears.

BTW, if you find one missing the tonneau cover I have a brand new one still in its wrapping.

A great car, always a pleasure. I wouldn't go back but I do miss it (that is until I fire up the NSX :D )

regards

Paul

Minch
09-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Might thoughts exactly . . . although she may lose a bit more on depriciation (but not that much) I think she would be best off spending about £18-19k to get an 04. I've already told her that should she need the money for something later down the line she will hardly lose much compared to my bl**dy Jag X-Type!

Thats for the words of wisdom Paul.

Cheers
Nathan

Nick Graves
10-07-2006, 09:43 AM
With the installation of some suspension braces, the correct tyres & NOT the HUK recommended geometry (use the OEM) the S2000 is has more feel and is a super handler.

The S-02s do not like the cold & the car has no traction control, which is why less able/not concentrating drivers keep reversing them into hedges.

I've had mine for over five years now, it's a superb car. So good in fact, that I am in no immediate hurry for an NSX! Ideally, I'd have both.

Some do suffer from a host of minor mechanical irritations, so check out S2Ki for those.

Nick Graves
10-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Might thoughts exactly . . . although she may lose a bit more on depriciation (but not that much) I think she would be best off spending about £18-19k to get an 04. I've already told her that should she need the money for something later down the line she will hardly lose much compared to my bl**dy Jag X-Type!

Thats for the words of wisdom Paul.

Cheers
Nathan

Trouble is, a new one (with VSA) is around £23K from an importer, with 3-yr warranty etc etc. Suddenly 19 large sounds a lot for an old car.

Minch
10-07-2006, 09:53 PM
Grantham Honda have offered me a fairly good PX on my Jag for a 53 plate Black with Black/Red leather S2000. First of the late shape apparently, although it does state Nighthawk Black and not Berlina Black. Do you think this is a mistake? It might well be the one we go for. Watch this space.

NSX 2000
10-07-2006, 10:01 PM
When my wife was looking for her first company car she said she wanted a 2 seater convertible, so off we went to the over priced mass produced complete rip off Porche garage and sat in a crapster, and she couldn't get comfortable. (At this point I should mention she is only 5ft). Any way some 45minutes later of being completley ignored we left. The next week I rang our local Honda dealer to see if they had an S2000 that she could have a go in, they said that they had just had a customer return his due to the wife being pregnant and was only 6 months old.
Went down to the dealership expecting that I would have to wait around while my wife was taken out, but no! The sales manager said here are the keys and could we be no longer than an hour :twisted: .
Wife was hooked and with in the week she had a 52 plate S2000 GT in Nubrugring blue :D (Being a *** car 5ft people have no problem getting comfortable)
During the summer we had some great drives, took it down Lyon in France, got about 140 on the autoroute :? , and then went on a weeks holiday upto Scotland and again had some great blasts over the mountains near Avimore :D .
Then at about 10 at night on a damp October night (she had the car six months and put an extra 10K on the clock) my phone goes and its the wife, when I answer all I can hear is the car alarm and my wife whimpering, She had gone to Bluewater so I think that shes gone back to the car to find it broken into. No what had happened is the car was front first in a brick wall :shock:
She had gone around a roundabout and when she applied left hand lock to exit the roundabout the back end broke to the right sending her up over the pavement and straight into a 6ft tall brick garden wall :shock:.
So the curse of the edgy S2000 handling had struk :evil: .
In my wifes defence we did know at the time that the drivers side rear wheel had a slow puncture, so this may have caused the car to loose control. She claims not have been speeding and the police who attended the scene didn't think so either and put it down to the road being damp and it was an S2000 :shock: .
The car got writen off by the insurance company and the wife went a got a very safe Audi TT to calm down in, then moaned like mad that it wasn't as quick as the S2000!
Anyway the time we had the car we loved it and my wife would have had another one but with me getting the NSX she decided that her next car should have four seats and bought Mini Copper S Works Convertible :shock: (you try fitting 4 adults in it!) But she does concede that the S2000 was the dogs! 8)
So to conclude you may not want to show your other half this post but both my wife and I would recommend one :? Post 02 I think is best :wink:

Minch
10-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Ouch!!!! Yes I have warned her. I've had a couple of STI Subaru's in the past and said that if she just wants to drive fast and safe then she should get one. However she has driven a later S2000 and loved it to my surprise. She doesn't drive fast and so I would hope she wouldn't lose control. I am however worried about her winter driving capabilities! I've already said that if she decides to go for an S2000 that I would insist she goes on an Advanced driving day/weekend to learn how to drive a rear wheel drive performance car.