PDA

View Full Version : Are the NC-1 sales slow or the market fickle?🤔

Pride
02-03-2017, 02:59 PM
An interesting editorial of the new NSX sales to date:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/acuras-nsx-hybrid-supercar-struggling-amidst-slow-early-sales/

Pride
03-03-2017, 10:29 AM
I think the market must be very fickle after watching this newly launched video as it always seems such fantastic good value for your money.

https://youtu.be/iTV5FGd_DWM

nobby
06-03-2017, 08:53 AM
i think what is killing the car is public perception ... again and again we see more commercial stuff talking about how 'slower' the x is to other marques
i/we all think the car is overpriced ... i appreciate the R&D etc that Honda did but marque is an issue here especially in todays world
people still dont realise that this is a 918 at a fraction of the price ... honda/acura need to market better and make this more focal in their marketing etc

Senninha
06-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Price and brand, poor or little Marketting other than a few magazine reports, and no finance packages through the supercar brokers, all areas Acura should focus on. Is the situation the same in the UK?

a quick tinternet surf reveals an R8 for £122k, the 570GT for £146 and the 458 for £167k, not to mention the 911 Turbo at £127k, and the NSX price, well, you can't get this from Honda UK as the website says PoA; seriously?

Personally, I'd love one, in grey with lots of carbon of course

havoc
06-03-2017, 09:18 PM
a quick tinternet surf reveals an R8 for £122k, the 570GT for £146 and the 458 for £167k, not to mention the 911 Turbo at £127k, and the NSX price, well, you can't get this from Honda UK as the website says PoA; seriously?

911 Turbo has never really done it for me, but the other 3 are all BIG draws. Similar power, similar/better looks, lower weight, but sacrificing the torque-vectoring and the fashionable hybrid-ness (do buyers in this market really care about fuel economy?).

As you and Andrew say Paul, I really do think Honda are making all the same mistakes again, as most of the driving reviews are very positive.

NoelWatson
07-03-2017, 04:13 PM
do buyers in this market really care about fuel economy?

Not sure the real world NSX economy differs from the rest of the class. I think the new NSX is a very commendable first attempt at a "new generation" supercar. The reviews of the 12C were by no means all positive, but McLaren constantly improved and now the current range (540 etc) is class leading. Honda will hopefully do likewise.

lotusolly
07-03-2017, 06:10 PM
Not sure the real world NSX economy differs from the rest of the class. I think the new NSX is a very commendable first attempt at a "new generation" supercar. The reviews of the 12C were by no means all positive, but McLaren constantly improved and now the current range (540 etc) is class leading. Honda will hopefully do likewise.
What would give you the slightest indication that Honda would make constant improvements?
Would it be the way that the original NSX was constantly updated to keep it with the rest of the market?
The only plus is if Honda keep up their marketing history then the true enthusiast may be able to afford one in the way we have with our cars. Buy a 10 year old supercar for the price of a family hatch and get to enjoy it with zero depreciation or even make money as a rare appreciating classic. :)

Olly

m33ufo
17-03-2017, 09:21 PM
My build slot has come through.....June 17 build with September delivery. Basic spec is circa £149K, I'm at about £165K with CCB's and "bits". Have to say it sounds a lot.

I'm completely torn! Any thoughts welcome?

havoc
17-03-2017, 09:29 PM
Most people on here will only be able to give you 2nd hand opinions.

Speak to Paul (NSX2000) - he's already got his, and will be able to give you a comparison vs his NA2.

My 2p (based on 2nd hand info and guesswork!) - it'll depreciate a lot quicker than your McLaren, will probably feel less 'sporty', but the hybrid system will give it a fairly different handling style (esp. the torque-vectoring), and the instant torque will make it feel as quick. From a brief sit in it last year, the driving position will feel very familiar to any NA1/2 owners...and it looks better in the flesh than the photos.

m33ufo
17-03-2017, 09:40 PM
I'm sure it's a deal given that it's potentially a very inexpensive 918/P1 option.....but as you say, there's a high risk of significant depreciation at its current list.

I'll have to sleep on it.

lotusolly
28-03-2017, 10:31 PM
Picked up a new daily at the weekend but happened to buy it from a Honda dealer who had an NC1 in the showroom. Got chatting with the salesman who was rather open with sales discussions. He claimed to have recently sourced an NC1 for a customer buying it in at £205K and selling on for £210K. Seems that people are paying the advertised premiums!

Olly

Pride
17-10-2017, 11:31 AM
An interesting video opinion about the NSX US sales at the moment.

https://youtu.be/S75IpjT1yoc

The King
17-10-2017, 11:48 AM

What a knob. He's right, the new NSXs aren't the same as his car. They haven't been hit hard and pieced back together.

flyingsniffer
17-10-2017, 12:20 PM
Whilst I'm opinion-free on the NC1 and it's price/value, The King has hit the nail right on the head. What a whiny knob-jockey that bloke is!

Pride
17-10-2017, 04:52 PM
What a knob. He's right, the new NSXs aren't the same as his car. They haven't been hit hard and pieced back together.

Maybe this guy's opinion might not annoy you too much, but then again....😎

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byor0xThYE0

The King
17-10-2017, 11:16 PM

Sorry, I lasted for about 60 seconds.

Nick Graves
18-10-2017, 01:53 PM
Apparently a $30K discount has pretty-much cleared all of the unsold 2017 Acura NSXs now.

Tends to support those who had the view that the car was perceived as overpriced in the first place.

NZNick
18-10-2017, 06:42 PM
All this was caused by the US Acura dealers insisting on floor stock, which goes against the built-to-order ethos of the NC1 - it was bound to happen, and will happen again if there are so many (100+) non-customer ordered cars floating around.
Some speculators managed to flip their early orders for a profit, but that very soon dried up, any many, including Acura dealers, were left holding a baby, that while very, very competent, was no longer the new in-thing, and thus got burnt in the fire sale. This demonstrates the fickle nature of (US in particular) high-end car buyers - they want the exclusivity of the new must-have, but when that same car has been out of few months, it can no longer be en-vogue, and thus is an overpriced dinosaur, and can only be redeemed by being picked up for a bargain basement price!
Madness!
Meanwhile, the rest of the world gets on with ordering and receiving individual customer specced cars (at numbers that will ensure exclusivity for years to come), without fuss or drama.

goldnsx
18-10-2017, 07:01 PM
Meanwhile, the rest of the world gets on with ordering and receiving individual customer specced cars (at numbers that will ensure exclusivity for years to come), without fuss or drama.
Not quite or it depends on the region. I see most of the cars in Switzerland and Germany sitting in the dealers showroom for a very long time...they just don't add to around 200 cars like in the US. I know the statistics of new sales and they are very low. So these cars in the showroom are not just demonstrators.

Maybe, I would have been better to limit production like Toyota did with the LFA.

NZNick
20-12-2017, 08:06 PM
^ Indeed, that was my point. If you build showroom cars that are not solely a demonstrator car, then it will sit for months, years until either 1 of 2 things happens:

1 - someone walks in off the street and hands over a suitcase of cash because they must have that particular car now (& can't be bothered to wait to get one built to their possibly unique specification), or
2 - the price of the showroom floor model is slashed to bring it down to another level.

2 is much more likely then 1, as witnessed in the USA.

Built to order should be just that - not some half & half compromise that is causing 2 markets - customer ordered cars, and ex-dealer stock cars, which cost the customer up to 35% less than those that had theirs built to order.....

goldnsx
20-12-2017, 09:29 PM
+1.
The dealers won't cut the asking price by a high amount, too many negative effects doing so. They've adjusted the prices a little bit (5-10k or so) while still asking 200k+. They still wait for "Mr. Wannahaveitrightnow" and will try to press out of it as much as they can, so does the buyer. If the dealer recognizes that the buyer is seriously interested he might offer a small discount. Some US guys had to go three times to a dealer until the deal was meeting the buyers expectation. Even among wealthy people I've never seen one (except the very first movers) that payed the asking price because noone wants to be the one who payed the highest price among the people at cars and coffee. The internet forums are quite hard for the dealers as people show-off with the best deals they've got.
The Germans might be the more aggressive buyers from what I've read on the CTR forum for example. They walk in the showroom and say: I'm be willing to pay $$$$$: deal or no deal? Being too aggressive, not seldomly the buyer is asked to leave the showroom immediately. :) Swiss people wouldn't dare to behave like that and AFAIK UK guys neither.

The new CTR is at 45k over here but some new cars are advertised to 40k. Not a bad deal for a lot of car.

I don't dare to imagine where we are by the end of 2018 or 2019. At least, someone who's deciding to buy one will have a very exclusive car and if it's built like Gen 1 he should have a problem-free supercar for the next 10 years or so.