PDA

View Full Version : POOR SALES??? Should this be a surprise???

Pride
03-02-2017, 07:31 PM
It appears that sales have slowed right up after the US dealers received their compulsory stock allocations.

Have a read of this interesting report, particularly the comments left at the bottom of the article, it seems a third pedal, even in the US of A is a major desirable feature.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/acuras-nsx-hybrid-supercar-struggling-amidst-slow-early-sales/

NSXGB
03-02-2017, 09:32 PM
History repeating itself??

exiges1
03-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Given the author points out the large number of other premium brands all fighting for a piece of the pie he could have established how many Macca's, Ferrari's, Lambo's and so on are also unsold in dealerships. At least that would provide some context and comparison. Lazy motoring journalism, probably worked for EVO at some point.

goldnsx
04-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Now as it's discussed here and there sales will drop even more. Given the fast speed of developement people might wait for version 2.1 (Type S, R or whatever). The whole supercars market is in the pork cycle, too much toy cars out there. Toyota wisely limited the quantity of their LFA. No wonder, Honda Japan didn't wanted to take over the responsability for this baby. But if it's not selling in the US, sales figures must be even lower outside of the US. Switzerland sold exactly one car last year and it went - oh wonder oh wonder - to the former president of Honda Switzerland.

Coops
04-02-2017, 11:01 AM
Been discussed before I know, but main reason in my opinion is it doesn't look like an nsx. Can't remember exactly the post but someone on here posted what the new nsx should have looked like and I couldn't have agreed more. This looks too much like a lamboMclaren. Lack of a third pedal also massive for me.

marknsx
05-02-2017, 03:16 PM
It is a Honda. It isn't a Ferrari Lamborghini or mclaren so why would anyone expect good sales. Its badge will ensure that remains at the bottom of the sales list and the top of the reliability and usability list. This is not what the super car owner is looking for. The badge is king. So it will follow our Nsx cars into semi obscurity. Will it return as a classic as ours have?

havoc
06-02-2017, 10:16 PM
How many NiSMO GT-Rs have Nissan sold? Similar price, similar performance, similar image (-problem?*).

As above, the market is a LOT more crowded now than 30 years ago, buyers expect more, and the NC1, regarless of ability, looks a little generic and doesn't have a USP beyond the hybrid bits..."budget 918" if you actually experience it probably means a great deal, but for someone with £150k to spend and not fussed about test-driving 6 different cars, it might not cut it.

Now the competition are many and NONE of them have been resting on any laurels this time around:-
- 488 has a pony on the front, which we all know is guaranteed to have pneumatic young blondes throwing themselves at you
- 570 has the F1 pedigree also and the low-volume-manufacturer cachet...it's about the coolest one on the list.
- Huracan has a n/asp V10 with a redline >8,000 (sound familiar?!?). And the bull on the front is guaranteed to have young boys and not-so-young blokes pestering you in pub car-parks.
- R8 has the same V10 and has clear lineage to the very good previous model - 1st gen is arguably the spiritual successor to the NA1.
- AMG GT-S has stunning looks and an engine that'll make God pause to enjoy the sound.
- GT-R is half the price, just as powerful and can be had with a manual 'box
- ...and then there's the elephant in the room - the 911 Turbo.

I've probably missed a couple out but that seems like enough for now. Tough room, the NC1 is sadly perhaps a little too like the NA1 in one way - very very worthy and great to drive, but doesn't have enough kerb/badge-appeal...

* Japanese car >£100k / $100k. I don't agree, but there's still a lot of snobbery around...