PDA

View Full Version : NC1 will be on "The Grand Tour" next month.👍

Pride
18-11-2016, 05:11 PM
There's not many programs I've waited so eagerly for to be launched as this one and was it worth the wait, you bet, it's brilliant.

I tuned in at midnight and went to bed just over an hour later with a big smile on my face even though the guys essentially used the same old tricks, lines and stunts albeit in a different setting which gave it a real fresh feel along with a "Hollywood" film style and supreme quality cinematography camera work, just awesome.

The NC1 even made a sneak preview guest appearance which was great to see.

No doubt there will be a lot of you forum boys who wouldn't give Clarkson a second look but I can assure you the Amazon Fire Stick is the best £39.99 I've spent for many a year.

And it's getting great reviews already from everyone except of course the BBC 😂

Chalk and cheese compared to Chris Evans poor attempt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3947848/Clarkson-hosts-Richard-Hammond-James-make-debut-wheel-midnight-launched-just-11-30pm.html

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/18/the-grand-tour-review-jeremy-clarkson-james-may-richard-hammond-leave-the-bbc-in-their-dust

Problem Child
18-11-2016, 09:59 PM
There's not many programs I've waited so eagerly for to be launched as this one and was it worth the wait, you bet, it's brilliant.

I tuned in at midnight and went to bed just over an hour later with a big smile on my face even though the guys essentially used the same old tricks, lines and stunts albeit in a different setting which gave it a real fresh feel along with a "Hollywood" film style and supreme quality cinematography camera work, just awesome.

The NC1 even made a sneak preview guest appearance which was great to see.

No doubt there will be a lot of you forum boys who wouldn't give Clarkson a second look but I can assure you the Amazon Fire Stick is the best £39.99 I've spent for many a year.

And it's getting great reviews already from everyone except of course the BBC 

Chalk and cheese compared to Chris Evans poor attempt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3947848/Clarkson-hosts-Richard-Hammond-James-make-debut-wheel-midnight-launched-just-11-30pm.html

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/nov/18/the-grand-tour-review-jeremy-clarkson-james-may-richard-hammond-leave-the-bbc-in-their-dust

Saw the 1/4 second view of the NC1. I think that's what I will call it from now on as its not really an NSX. Anyway watched the Grand Tour....same old bollocks!

Pride
18-11-2016, 10:07 PM
Saw the 1/4 second view of the NC1. I think that's what I will call it from now on as its not really an NSX. Anyway watched the Grand Tour....same old bollocks!

I take it that you don't like the car and didn't enjoy the program then Geof, nothing like sitting on the fence mate.😂

Problem Child
19-11-2016, 05:35 PM
I take it that you don't like the car and didn't enjoy the program then Geof, nothing like sitting on the fence mate.

You've got me wrong Pride. I do like the car but it (in my opinion) has absolutely nothing in common with the NSX that I fell in love with when I first saw a picture of it back in 1991. The NC1 is a beautiful car and I do like it but it is like every other modern sports car. They are all a bit samey and do not stir the emotions in the same way the original NSX did when it was launched. The NSX name is merely being used for marketing purposes

As for the Grand Tour, considering their budget, apparent free hand on scripting and content and the hype I thought the show was "OK", but I look forward to future episodes especially the one with the Honda NC1

Pride
19-11-2016, 10:10 PM
You've got me wrong Pride. I do like the car but it (in my opinion) has absolutely nothing in common with the NSX that I fell in love with when I first saw a picture of it back in 1991. The NC1 is a beautiful car and I do like it but it is like every other modern sports car. They are all a bit samey and do not stir the emotions in the same way the original NSX did when it was launched. The NSX name is merely being used for marketing purposes

As for the Grand Tour, considering their budget, apparent free hand on scripting and content and the hype I thought the show was "OK", but I look forward to future episodes especially the one with the Honda NC1

I totally agree about about our NSX when compared with the NC1, simply no comparison.

As for the Grand Tour, its just great to see that great shaved ape Clarkeson back in his element taking the rise out of everything motortrade related and beyond, I suppose that's what I enjoy most about the show to be honest.
It's such a shame he couldn't get Trump on the show, now those two together would be hilarious. 😂

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand/0/the-grand-tour-the-best-quotes-and-jokes-from-the-show-so-far/

NSX 2000
21-11-2016, 11:48 AM
I thought it was okish, and why didn't Clarkeson lay into Ferrari like he would do on any other manufacture! Is it because they all have a Ferrari and don't want to upset them?

WhyOne?
21-11-2016, 01:42 PM
Clarkson doesn't own a Ferrari (and has only ever owned an F355 Targa a good few years ago now).

I haven't seen GT yet, but why do you feel that JC should be giving Ferrari a hard time Paul?

Pride
21-11-2016, 01:58 PM
For everyone who doesn't want to subscribe to Amazon Prime in order to watch this program (of which I'm sure there's many) here is a link for you to view free.:)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3RGMVuqMXDY

Nick Graves
21-11-2016, 02:13 PM
It's great to see the programme back to what it ought to be, away from the over-weening political correctness/ignorance of the PeadBC.

We Honda anoraks have got quite used to using model codes for cars with the same name, so referring to NA or NC-cars seems perfectly logical to me - I always have. It's a bit presumptuous to refer to the Acura GT5000 as the 'NB' (that might have been assigned to the transverse-engined new NSX, but I doubt it got that far before going inline) but if it helps to avoid confusion...

Of course, Honda FKed us up by using the same code for two generations of Euro-Civic; UFO & Bagpuss...

I do regard the NC as being a Honda NSX, merely too much car & too much tech for my requirements - that might change after I drive it, of course.

I think I'd likely be more comfortable with an NA or an Evora or somesuch.

Hagasan
21-11-2016, 04:11 PM
For everyone who doesn't want to subscribe to Amazon Prime in order to watch this program (of which I'm sure there's many) here is a link for you to view free.:)

Seen it already but somehow I didn't think it would last long!! Messin wif da big boys neow.....

Pride
21-11-2016, 04:54 PM

Sorry chaps it now appears YouTube (probably under strict instruction from Amazon) have removed the link all together no sooner than it was put up.:(

britlude
21-11-2016, 05:11 PM
there were lots of uploads floating about on social media on friday that have disappeared, you can't blame Amazon for trying to protect their (substantial) investment!

Pride
21-11-2016, 05:38 PM
there were lots of uploads floating about on social media on friday that have disappeared, you can't blame Amazon for trying to protect their (substantial) investment!

Very true, it must be a logistical nightmare trying to monitor every single social media site though???

havoc
21-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Of course, Honda FKed us up by using the same code for two generations of Euro-Civic; UFO & Bagpuss...

I do regard the NC as being a Honda NSX, merely too much car & too much tech for my requirements - that might change after I drive it, of course.

I think I'd likely be more comfortable with an NA or an Evora or somesuch.
Civic - nah, the UFO is the FN.

NC1 is an NSX, in the same way that a 991 is a 911 and an R35 is a GTR. But (being unable to afford one aside) I agree that it's too much car / too much tech for me too...although having driven an Evora back when they were first launched, and thinking "very nice drive, but utterly crap visibility, crap packaging, and a lacklustre engine", and then enjoying the drive home in my NSX more, I think I'd be more likely to look at an Exige V6. Or maybe a 997 of some flavour (GTS, GT3?) before they properly skyrocket..

Nick Graves
22-11-2016, 06:42 PM
Civic - nah, the UFO is the FN.

NC1 is an NSX, in the same way that a 991 is a 911 and an R35 is a GTR. But (being unable to afford one aside) I agree that it's too much car / too much tech for me too...although having driven an Evora back when they were first launched, and thinking "very nice drive, but utterly crap visibility, crap packaging, and a lacklustre engine", and then enjoying the drive home in my NSX more, I think I'd be more likely to look at an Exige V6. Or maybe a 997 of some flavour (GTS, GT3?) before they properly skyrocket..

3-door was the FN.

Both 5-doors are the FK, which is why the same 'engine' code can mean a UFO 1.8 or a new Bagpuss Type-R...

At least with the last 'Ludes, they got BB1-4 and then 5-8 'engine' codes, which was slightly less confusing.

NZNick
22-11-2016, 09:43 PM
New NSX is called CAA-NC1 in full, just like there were many iterations of our NSX, from E-NA1 through E-NA2, GH-NA2, LA-NA2 to ABA-NA2 - (all MT cars).

The Civic codes are very confusing!

Pride
25-11-2016, 10:07 PM
There's not many programs I've waited so eagerly for to be launched as this one and was it worth the wait, you bet, it's brilliant

CORRECTION:

I've just watched the second episode and I take it all back, it was the biggest waste of an hours viewing I think I've ever spent, absolute garbage, even the meaningless testing of the great Vulcan was sh1t, not a single interesting fact was broadcast.

How can Amazon of allowed this to be passed fit for viewing in the first place???

The whole program was hinged around terrorism and ended having a bullet put into the back of the queens head and that's supposed to be comedy.

I'm sure there's going to be some seriously poor reviews about this dross of that I'm sure.

Pride
26-11-2016, 06:40 AM
I'm not surprised at these reviews::(

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-11-25/viewers-divided-over-difficult-second-episode-of-the-grand-tour

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/grand-tour-s01e02-review

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/25/the-grand-tour-episode-2-review/

britlude
26-11-2016, 03:37 PM
didn't think it was that bad.... pretty much following the formula they turned top gear into, some cars, some larking about.....without the bits the BBC/TG have banned them for using because it's too close to the TG formula!!

the celeb interviews, for example, have BBC legal eagles monitoring, hence why the celebs are killed off en-route... apparently

they will find there feet/audience, it is only the second episode for the new paymasters!

...that said 'the American' will get very annoying!

....and the Vulcan was awesome, especially having seen the car at the Blanc Pain supercar siege thing at Brands!

Pride
29-11-2016, 01:30 PM
For all those that don't want to subscribe to Amazon Prime to watch the "big shaved ape in clothes":) but still fancy hearing what the three wise men have to say in order to put the motoring world to right then click on this link, it's certainly different to the usual run of the mill motoring press or motoring shows.

https://drivetribe.com/welcome

britlude
29-11-2016, 04:47 PM
you mean you haven't found an nsx tribe yet??? i've found a honda one...

maybe you should start up an NSX tribe

....... and perhaps start an LED one too, so the NSXs don't get lost.... like..... :)

Pride
29-11-2016, 07:09 PM
you mean you haven't found an nsx tribe yet??? i've found a honda one...

....... and perhaps start an LED one too..... like..... :)

Haha 😂, I've managed to get an LED Lamborghini tribe together, just a shame I can't afford one to keep up with them.:(

Plans Performance
01-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Jethro Bovingdon's vid of the day at Anglesey will go live tomorrow on DriveTribe. Plans Performance were happy to help with the provision of the other car in this pic, and the result is.... you'll have to wait till tomorrow...

https://photos.smugmug.com/Plans-Motorsport/i-zwSpgv6/0/O/nsx%201%202%20-%201.jpg

drmikey
02-12-2016, 07:57 AM
I drove the sister car H7176 in October. I think they follow each other round by the destinations mine had in the Sat Nav!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/drmikey/NSX%20NC1/14502790_10208948779253922_1827748599687842885_n_z psedseqrfg.jpg (http://s35.photobucket.com/user/drmikey/media/NSX%20NC1/14502790_10208948779253922_1827748599687842885_n_z psedseqrfg.jpg.html)

Pride
02-12-2016, 09:29 PM
CORRECTION:

I've just watched the second episode and I take it all back, it was the biggest waste of an hours viewing I think I've ever spent, absolute garbage, even the meaningless testing of the great Vulcan was sh1t, not a single interesting fact was broadcast.

How can Amazon of allowed this to be passed fit for viewing in the first place???

The whole program was hinged around terrorism and ended having a bullet put into the back of the queens head and that's supposed to be comedy.

I'm sure there's going to be some seriously poor reviews about this dross of that I'm sure.

RE-CORRECTION:
Having now watched the 3rd episode I take it all back as the show is back on track.👍🏿

Back to plenty of the usual pointless car lunacy topped of with the big shaved ape inventing an eco friendly smart phone controlled city vehicle. 🚗 You've heard of the Tesla Ludicrous, well this was just ludicrous.
Anyway, enjoy.

marknsx
03-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Ha!
Well Ive only signed up to Amazon Prime on a trial basis.
Second episode was crap and a waste of time. Once again egos getting in the way of producing a great program. I have a notion that these three were bored with Top Gear (hence the engineering of the incident to terminate their involvement?). Unfortunately changing the packaging doesn't appear to have altered that fact.
Im bored of these super/hyper car trials too! I can't relate to them. Maybe if I drove them I might appreciate them.
After 3 episodes of GT Im rather hankering after watching some of the the old Top Gear episodes.
Hum

Pride
03-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Ha!
Well Ive only signed up to Amazon Prime on a trial basis.
Second episode was crap and a waste of time.
After 3 episodes of GT Im rather hankering after watching some of the the old Top Gear episodes.
Hum

Don't forget Mark you still can, in fact every day on "Dave" TV channel 📺

marknsx
06-12-2016, 01:31 PM
Oh so true

dcnsx
10-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Saw the Grand tour NC1 test last week, there was a red original NSX briefly with it. Anyone's on here?

Pride
10-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Saw the Grand tour NC1 test last week, there was a red original NSX briefly with it. Anyone's on here?

I believe that was the G reg Honda uk car.

Pride
10-01-2017, 06:33 PM
I should have posted this comment on here:

May's NSX NC1 bit was good but I cynically wonder if the lack of a dry lap was intentional, if you recall the same conditions occurred for the origanol NSX on TG.
I suspect Honda UK and their dealers are seething  about it, I know I was.
I reckon it would have been 4-5 seconds quicker but I feel sure they just couldn't bear the thought of a "Honda" being faster than the Supercar establishment.
Also letting captain slow of all presenters do the 0-60 sprint time was a joke. I would imagine that you're all thinking that with launch control, his time would be as quick as another but it's not so.

A few years ago I had the unique opportunity at Bruntingthorpe proving grounds to try and equal the 0-60 time of Derek Bell at the launch of the then new Bentley Super Sport with the 5 times Le Mans winner setting the initial time and allowing me 3 attempts to do so, but could I do it, no, and that was with launch control and automatic transmission.
I can't explain why but I do know through that experience that May's time is wrong.

And then to top it all, during the shows closing credits and music the NC1 is shown going around the same track in the dry, very weird indeed.

Clarkeson definitely does not like Honda.

WhyOne?
10-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Clarkeson definitely does not like Honda.

Why do you say that - it's not the impression I have got from various favourable pieces he has written about Honda's more interesting products over the years? (By way of a short example, see the quote in my signature)

Pride
10-01-2017, 10:11 PM
Why do you say that - it's not the impression I have got from various favourable pieces he has written about Honda's more interesting products over the years? (By way of a short example, see the quote in my signature)

I understand what you mean but that still doesn't explain why The Grand Tour team, led by Clarkson, allowed such a poor review of this technological tour de force of a car.
It certainly doesn't do the NC1's marketing profile any favours even though it was still relatively quick in the torrential rain.

dcnsx
11-01-2017, 06:57 AM
I've always got the impression from Clarkson that he didn't quite understand the NSX, almost like he didn't know what Honda wanted to achieve with it. He's all about bhp. If you watch the interview he did with Rowan Atkinson on the old Top Gear ( can't find it on youtube so have to wait for a repeat on Dave) from memory the first thing he asks him is " so then, the Honda NSX"? to which Rowan calmly educates him as to why it's so good.

Pride
11-01-2017, 09:12 AM
The NSX doesn't even make the TG top 50 all time top cars when clarkson was with TG in 2013.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/list/50-greatest-cars-past-20-years

Nor the top 100 in 2001 which was actually picked by Clarkson:

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-12/12-28-12page-Jeremy-Clarkson-Top-100-Cars-2001.htm

He obviously speaks with a forked tongue.

dcnsx
11-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Well personally speaking any list of top cars that has a Dacia Duster in it isn't worth taking seriously. One things for sure, Clarkson likes the NSX more than caravans! :)

NSX100
11-01-2017, 10:41 AM
Well personally speaking any list of top cars that has a Dacia Duster in it isn't worth taking seriously. One things for sure, Clarkson likes the NSX more than caravans! :)

I have an old TG video from the early 90s with a remarkably young and slim Clarkson, with hair, introducing a very fair NSX piece with Tiff Needell. Back in the days when it was a car show. There is also the video of him driving one around Laguna Seca. I would suggest that he is ambivalent at worst and favorably impressed at best - he opens the Needell piece by criticising it as "being too easy to drive for a supercar" which is, even then, his now legendary way of reverse complimenting something. Remember this is someone who raved about the new GT40 when it came out some years ago, bought one, and then discovered that he couldn't drive it because he was too tall.

As for The GT - my tuppence worth - I hated the first 2 episodes and gave up in disgust as puerile, schoolboy rubbish. However, I was encouraged to persevere by friends and I have to say that it improves dramatically (albeit from a very low level). Still the usual idiotic segments which I just fast-forward through but then it always had those even in the BBC days.

dcnsx
11-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Im not particularly enjoying the Grand Tour either

Pride
11-01-2017, 11:40 AM
Im not particularly enjoying the Grand Tour either

SNAP!
Put more car reviews in and it all could change, but having said that, maybe not.:)

Nick Graves
11-01-2017, 11:55 AM
The NSX doesn't even make the TG top 50 all time top cars when clarkson was with TG in 2013.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/list/50-greatest-cars-past-20-years

Nor the top 100 in 2001 which was actually picked by Clarkson:

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-12/12-28-12page-Jeremy-Clarkson-Top-100-Cars-2001.htm

He obviously speaks with a forked tongue.

Journalistic revisionism; it afflicts all of the greatest Hondas.

It seems as if only LJKS got it at the time - and he usually disagreed with everyone else.

I don't quite get the appeal of Bristols (the cars) but I feel I ought to try one...

NoelWatson
11-01-2017, 12:46 PM
I reckon it would have been 4-5 seconds quicker but I feel sure they just couldn't bear the thought of a "Honda" being faster than the Supercar establishment.]

It's been tested by numerous publications already, when on trick tyres it's was a par with Carrera S at Laguna, when on standard slightly slower than Cayman S (latest one with turbo which appears to be very rapid!) on UK track. Still pretty quick!

I can't explain why but I do know through that experience that May's time is wrong.

It's about right, Autocar did 3.3 in the dry

Pride
11-01-2017, 06:35 PM
A recent and more accurate test review here me thinks:😎

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mclaren/570/2016/2016-motor-trend-best-drivers-car/

WhyOne?
11-01-2017, 08:07 PM
A recent and more accurate test review here me thinks:

Why?

Pride
11-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Why?

Simples:
I just don't trust nor believe in the ex TG guys opinions or tests.:(

IT's ALL JUST FAKE NEWS.:)

WhyOne?
12-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Simples:
I just don't trust nor believe in the ex TG guys opinions or tests.:(

IT's ALL JUST FAKE NEWS.:)

Well thank heavens for that. I was worried that your reasoning (!) might be idiotic and spurious.

Tin foil hat fitting snugly this morning?

dcnsx
12-01-2017, 07:53 AM
I thought May's test was pretty fair, he seemed to genuinely like it. He's a well known Honda bike fan aswell, he owns an RC30 and CB400.

sorepaws
12-01-2017, 10:05 AM
I have come to the realisation (and it didn't take long!) that all car reviews are flawed, they are personal opinions based on what the driver thinks of that car at that time. Also 0-60 figures are in themselves meaning less, I drove a 1275 Mini that would do 0-60 in under 10 - it was geared so that maximum was 65 - it was a pain to drive. I do not have extensive car knowledge or driver skill, but in the end it is a personal choice. The best and only way is to go drive one. If the new NSX goes the same as the original then in 15 years I might be able to afford one, until then I can only sit and be pleased that others can buy and more over enjoy them as a supreme example of bringing F1 type technology within the reach of those that do not have to live in Monaco to avoid tax!

If the only reason to buy/own a car like this was to have the perfect mode of fast fun transport then there wouldn't be people out there spending £1,000,000 on a replica (sorry Continuation) Jag.

I think James Hunt once said that he had most fun driving an A35 van with skinny tyres, not much power but real fun to throw all over the place, I won't mention the type of car I have had most fun in.

So odd rant over, I would just love the opportunity to drive one ...

Nick Graves
12-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Generally, new cars have been homogenised by regulation and convergent evolution, such that there are not really many bad cars any more. And they are all a bit samey.

That's despite my lamenting the surprisingly questionable ergonomics in many of them.

It therefore is much more a question of personal preferences than ever it was.

I'd also like to try an NC1, even if it's probably far too much car for me. I might be wrong...

Pride
15-02-2017, 06:56 PM
"Clarke son definitely does not like Honda"

And as I suspected out would come the knives at the first chance of a written car review. 😡

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews/clarkson/clarkson-review-2017-honda-nsx/