PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on tyre choice please . . .

Minch
05-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Hi guys,

My NSX has Bridgstone RE040's on the front with quite a bit of life left in them still. My problem is when I bought it it had fairly new Faulken's on the rear (yuck!). I want to change these even though they still have tread. The dilemma is do I fit a pair of SO3's/SO4's or match what I have on the front? Both tyres are Bridgstone but I just wanted a few opinions.

Cheers chaps
Nathan

Minch
05-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Just been told by Plans Motorsport that the SO4's are not available in the correct size for the NSX? Is this right guys? I've got the later wheels fitted to mine (i.e. the 1998 wheels).

They are offering me the RE010's which are a direct replacement for the RE040's instead.

Opinions please . . . . .

sportyking
05-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Interesting that Plans have offered you 010s.

I have spent the past month chasing some of these down.
Lots of people said they could get them, no-one came up with them until...

I contacted Bridgestone UK direct and found a quite disturbing result

Seven sets of rears are (by coincidence) due in to Bridgestone UK today!
After some liaison my set are to be delivered to one of their preferred Southern dealerships tomorrow.

The story from Bridgestone is that these tyres are now out of production and this may be the last time they bring them into the country :shock:

6 sets left guys :wink:

Minch, I have not heard of 040s being a specified OE tyre for NSX, but could be wrong if it was for early cars or something.

If I am correct I would not put OE specific tyres (010s) on the NSX with non OE (040s) on the other axle, as I understand that the actual tyre construction is different on the OE tyres to just about anything else, and this could cause odd behaivour.

Personally I am not one of those who has any problem with mixing tyre brands as long as the same tyres are used on each axle.
I currently have the 010 front and Dunlop rear OE tyres, and have tried the Yokos as well

I would think you would be better off with just about any decent brand tyre that is not specified for the NSX to match the 040s

DamianW
05-07-2006, 01:05 PM
One of the things that disturbs me a little is the lack of performance tyre choices left for NSX owners. Last time around I noticed that all the new replacement tyres don't come in 16 inch. I'm on a mix of GSD2 and GSD3 Goodyear Eagles on my car, which are ok but I'm suspicious about the rears. Eagles are soft and don't stand abuse apparently.

Prior to the Goodyears I did manage to get some OEM Yoko A022s for the car, but I had to get them from Yokohama distributor via a contact in the industry. Rather a palarver, but next time around I might be tempted to do it again. Its either that or stump up for some 2002+ wheels to get some more choices.

Minch
05-07-2006, 03:21 PM
Damien,

What did you think of the Yoko A022's? You can get them through Black Circles for £171.34 ( :shock: ).

Likewise what do you think of the Goodyears? It seems that it might be worth wearing my odd set down for a while and investing is a complete new set once I've worn the others out ( :wink: ). I'm not too bothered about wear rates really its more a good REAL road performance/grip. This isn't a track car for me so it would be nice if they are not too noisy too.

Cheers chap

DamianW
05-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I think I'm off-message by saying I like the A022s. The only thing wrong with them is poor wet weather grip, and they wear very quickly too. Handling-wise I prefer them to the Goodyears, which seem to have induced a bit too much understeer and taken some of the turn-in bite away. All a bit subjective that, I'm no handling expert and no great driver.

Goodyears I'm not sure about. They seem a good option, and seem to be wearing well. Little bit more tyre noise I think, and as I say above I think they've taken away a bit of turn-in bite which is a shame. I'd probably investigate alternatives another time, in fact I may try getting A022s again.

Minch
05-07-2006, 04:10 PM
I know what you mean about the Yoko's in the wet. I used to have an Elise 135R with Yoko A048's. Jesus did they aquaplane! Saying that may have had a little do do with the fact that the car only weighed 700kg's.

Anyone with any other suggestions for fast road use tyres would be appreciated. I don't mind spending on a good set as long as they are GOOD!

Cheers

DamianW
05-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I'm an ex Elise man too, although I didn't have a 135R, just a standard S1 followed by S2.

The A022s won't be as bad as the near-slick A048s thats for sure. As Kevin pointed out a while back in a similar thread to this, tyre technology has moved on from the A022, so its not a great tyre relative to new stuff. But its still the tyre that was designed for our car, and I still think it has a lot of merit. Besides, I'd always happily trade a little grip for better balance.

sportyking
05-07-2006, 04:37 PM
I bought Yokohama A022H rears from mytyres.co.?
Just under £110 each delivered but not including fitting :) Try them before buying.
They advertise on Pistonheads. Delivery takes a bit longer than blackcircles, I have a feeling they came from a european depot as mytyres is essentially a German company?

As a general rule I like all Yokohama tyres but I did not like the A022
Wear was simply too fast for the grip which was not noticeably better than the OE Dunlops. Mine were spent in under 2000 miles (traction always on) and they wore evenly. They also overheated and became squirmy after some spirited driving, forcing me to ease off.
My Dunlops look good for well over 4000 but will probably be changed before that as I have just had a call to say the Bridgestones are at the tyre place, ready for fitting

TheQuietOne
05-07-2006, 04:38 PM
I have the same Goodyear F1's as Damian, but for what it's worth the scariest moment in my car was aquaplaning on a set of Yoko's on the front on a dual carriageway and nearly writing the car off...I suppose it depends if you drive it every day like me and if that includes wet weather or not!

Also the Goodyear's are wearing very well if that is a consideration (10,000 miles + on the back and still 4mm of tread :wink: )

Matt.

sportyking
05-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Just checked My tyres, they are now £120.60

Still too expensive in my mind, I wouldn't buy them again.

Lankstarr
05-07-2006, 05:12 PM
From Matts recommendation I also went for F1s and changed the crap that was on my car as soon as I got it. I have done just over 2000 miles and have about 6mm of tread left and I think most of that disappeared in the last week when the tarmac was bl00dy hot.

Saying that I would always expect my tyres to wear a bit quicker than Matts as he drives like a girl :lol:

Still If I can get 8 - 10000 mile out of them then I will be chuffed after hearing the horror 2000 mile stories.

Got a trade discount and ended up paying £310 + VAT for a set of four (only I didn't have to pay the VAT!).

Have been completely happy with the hanling so far , only wobbled the back end twice coming off roundabouts but then I have nothing to compare the tyres to.

NSXGB
05-07-2006, 06:20 PM
The story from Bridgestone is that these tyres are now out of production and this may be the last time they bring them into the country

They say that every year when I order mine, I suppose it's about time though....

DamianW
05-07-2006, 06:55 PM
I have the same Goodyear F1's as Damian ...
Also the Goodyear's are wearing very well if that is a consideration (10,000 miles + on the back and still 4mm of tread :wink: )

Matt.

Yeah they do seem to wear well, but the thing thats troubling me at the minute is a couple of times I've got out of the car and smelt burning rubber from the rears. Not sure if my geo is out, running wrong pressures, or if these tyres just don't suit the NSX. Both times its happened is just after I got off the motorway, so was doing a reasonable speed I suppose.

Currently have 38psi in the back, guess I need to have the wheel off sometime and check its nothing sinister.

Minch
05-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Anybody tried Michelin, Dunlop or Pirelli tyres? If so, whats the verdict?

TheQuietOne
05-07-2006, 07:40 PM
I have the same Goodyear F1's as Damian ...

Matt.

Yeah they do seem to wear well, but the thing thats troubling me at the minute is a couple of times I've got out of the car and smelt burning rubber from the rears. Not sure if my geo is out, running wrong pressures, or if these tyres just don't suit the NSX. Both times its happened is just after I got off the motorway, so was doing a reasonable speed I suppose.

Currently have 38psi in the back, guess I need to have the wheel off sometime and check its nothing sinister.

Well I have achieved that mileage driving in the main fairly sensibly, and despite Darren's much appreciated warning the insides would be shredded (if the NSX is driven like a pu$$ey I think he said to be precise) the wear is totally even! Not sure if that is of interest, but as I do 85 miles at least on the motorway four times a week I suppose if it were the tyres I might have smelt the burning too. I will have a sniff for it when I have my oil situation in hand though!

Oh and I had Pilot Sports on the back brand new when picked it up and they were crap!

Matt.

ctrlaltdelboy
05-07-2006, 07:46 PM
interesting Matt (there's no 'e' in pussy by the way ;) )

do you know what your rear alignment settings are?

I have read of owners having the toe raised up to 0 in order to acheive even tyre wear under normal driving conditions - of course this would badly affect handling if a car setup like this were driven in anger :idea:

TheQuietOne
06-07-2006, 11:48 AM
interesting Matt (there's no 'e' in pussy by the way ;) )

do you know what your rear alignment settings are?

I have read of owners having the toe raised up to 0 in order to acheive even tyre wear under normal driving conditions - of course this would badly affect handling if a car setup like this were driven in anger :idea:

I'm more a dog man anyway :wink:

I don't but maybe when it is on the ramp on Monday I'll get the guy to look - is it obvious from below so to speak?

Maybe next time we meet up you can drive mne in anger and see what you think?

DTA-Motorsport
06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Not owning a NSX currently but a tuned 300ZX (dynoed last year at 385bhp at the flywheel), my opinion may not be worth much... However, here goes ...

Tyres on car: 225/50ZR16 (front) and 245/45ZR16 (rear)

Driving style: I don't drive my car excessively hard but I certainly don't hang about either. The car corners as if on rails so I do enjoy hard cornering ...

Previous tyres 1: Bridgestone S-O3 - very good tyre, good grip in both wet and dry - lasted around 15k miles

Previous tyres 2: Toyo Proxes T1-S: better than the Bridgestones in the wet, equal grip in dry conditions - lasted 20k miles (these tyres have been discontinued)

Current tyres: Toyo Proxes T1-R: Equal performance to T1-S - less road noise (although I can't hear much anyway due to pretty loud exhaust) - only been on for 1k miles now.

Tyre ecommendation: Toyo Proxes T1-R. These are high performance tyres, have a rim protector (always useful) and have performed superbly to date.

Shop recommendation: In the past I have used mytyres.com (yes they need to ship most performance tyres from Germany so may take a little longer). Usually cheaper than competition.

However, the Toyo T1-R's I bought from Rochford Tyres in Essex. Superb service, very competitive price and next day delivery!

Matt - in order to find out what your geometry settings are you'll need to get a four wheel alignment done - this should tell you the settings.

I hope the above has been of use to someone.

Regards,

Dan

Ciaran
06-07-2006, 07:59 PM
Sorry I'm a Kumho convert, most recently to the MX, which look good. Due on track in Early August so will know a little more then.

IMO if you have even wear across the rears, your alighment is approaching "0", as I have on mind most of the time. I get it realighened for track days only, and then back again, seems to work for me.

Have to say Kumhos are good in all weather and on pretty poor Irish roads.... :roll: :roll:

Papalazarou
07-07-2006, 10:56 AM
My wheels arrive on Monday (two weeks early!) and I was wondering which size tyres I should choose for the fronts, they are;

9x17's rear
8x17's front.

I was thinking 225/40/17's but I'm not sure.

Cheers,

James.

DTA-Motorsport
07-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Hi James,

Have a look at the following website:

http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_specsheet.cfm?id=2

It shows the range of tyre sizes relative to the rim width.

Looks like you could do the following:

Front (8"): 225 or 235
Rear (9"): 265

HTH

Dan

Papalazarou
07-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks Dan, I'll take a look.

Cheers,

James.

Minch
14-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Right, I NEED new tyres now. I've just got the car back from Plans Motorsport (thanks for doing a great job Graham) and the car feels great but the rears have mega low grip! :shock:

TCS off and on my favorite corner the rear was just losing grip.

Anybody know of a good place to buy Toyo Proxes T1R's?

DTA-Motorsport
14-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Give Rochford Tyres a call: 01702 545689 (option 1, ask for Mike)

I got mine from there in record time and at a very decent price!

Good luck,

Dan

sportyking
14-07-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm glad I picked up my 010s from Guildford tyres this morning :D

NSXGB
29-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Sorry I'm a Kumho convert, most recently to the MX, which look good. Due on track in Early August so will know a little more then.

IMO if you have even wear across the rears, your alighment is approaching "0", as I have on mind most of the time. I get it realighened for track days only, and then back again, seems to work for me.

Have to say Kumhos are good in all weather and on pretty poor Irish roads.... :roll: :roll:

About due for a new set of boots all round, thinking of defecting from OEM Bridgestones, which Khumo's did you go for and what sizes please?

Simon.

Ciaran
02-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Hi Simon,

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been on here for a few days... :(

I ran the cheapest "big" tyre Kumho had, which was the "Ecsta" sport, and ran 225/45/16's and 255/40/17's.

I have to say they ran fine compared to the Yoko's which came (almost new) with the car, (thanks Gary!!). Since then I have had a replacement set of Kumhos and have run 4 (half) track days on them. IMO they are great when you are getting used to the track, and the NSX on track, two completely different learning experiances... 8)

I put new bling wheels on earlier this year, and so have decided to try the Kumho "MX" I have put 215/40/17 and 265/35/18 on, they are said to be very good, I will get a better idea on Friday afternoon, .....first track day with new wheels and tyres 8)

NSXGB
03-08-2006, 07:02 AM
Many thanks Ciaran.

Ayrton
27-08-2006, 03:41 AM
Hello, I did not present myself yet, but I need much concentration to speak in
comprehensible English, I hope that you will understand what I go tried to explain. I will
make in the effective one initially and then in the courtesy. Be not astonished, I am French
and also a person in charge for the club S2000. I will say some to you more in the adequate
section. Concerning the tires, after having done many tests, I can say to you that Falken 452,
is the best compromise and that Pirelli P0 Rosso, is the best tire than I could test, on the
other hand it is expensive and wears very quickly. Falken with a very good grip on dryness
and on wet, it slips gradually, but it is very sensitive to inflation. It with a gum which heats
quickly, after having to on several occasions roll on the circuit of “le Mans”, summons us
several to have made the same conclusion. We had tested of Michelin, Toyo, Goodyear,
Dunlop, Hankook, in a sporting range. Bridgestone are the best on dryness and they are very
rigid but on wet, they are much less although Pirelli. On the other hand, we roll on S2000, but
I think that it is sufficiently a good frame to be able to judge the quality of a tire. I will be
soon a traitor, me it known as step, it there with already 50 people who make me the remark
each day. But the NSX is a dream of child. I am thus here that by interest (the French is not a
diplomat but it with Camembert (it is a typical cheese which feels the feet). So long.

AR
04-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Hello, I did not present myself yet, but I need much concentration to speak in
comprehensible English, I hope that you will understand what I go tried to explain.

I will make in the effective one initially and then in the courtesy. Be not astonished, I am French and also a person in charge for the club S2000. I will say some to you more in the adequate section.

Concerning the tires, after having done many tests, I can say to you that Falken 452, is the best compromise and that Pirelli P0 Rosso, is the best tire than I could test, on the other hand it is expensive and wears very quickly.
Falken with a very good grip on dryness and on wet, it slips gradually, but it is very sensitive to inflation. It with a gum which heats quickly, after having to on several occasions roll on the circuit of “le Mans”, summons us
several to have made the same conclusion.
We had tested of Michelin, Toyo, Goodyear, Dunlop, Hankook, in a sporting range. Bridgestone are the best on dryness and they are very
rigid but on wet, they are much less although Pirelli.
On the other hand, we roll on S2000, but I think that it is sufficiently a good frame to be able to judge the quality of a tire.
I will be soon a traitor, me it known as step, it there with already 50 people who make me the remark each day. But the NSX is a dream of child. I am thus here that by interest (the French is not a
diplomat but it with Camembert (it is a typical cheese which feels the feet). So long.

Just wanted to clear out the post as the info seems quite good.

NSXGB
04-09-2006, 01:53 PM
....can confirm that the P Zero's wear quickly, my rears lasted 3000 miles.

simonprelude
04-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I am down to 4mm on the rears on RE010's after 13000 miles and 2 track days.
New tyres needed soon.

Does that mean I drive like a girl as well then ??

Papalazarou
05-09-2006, 07:55 AM
I am down to 4mm on the rears on RE010's after 13000 miles and 2 track days.
New tyres needed soon.

Does that mean I drive like a girl as well then ??

like a screaming little girl with the new Barbie mechanical horse!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0006JMFMG?v=glance

Cheers,

James

OLDMNSX
16-09-2006, 08:48 AM
I put on a set of Bridgestone RE 010s and are very pleased so far. I have noticed that they are very quiet at all speeds and a smooth ride. I do not have any appreciable wet road feedback to input.

Brad

Steveycaz
12-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Right - time to wake the debate up again :confused:

Several of you were about to purchase Toyo Proxes for your NSX'. Can you share your observations please? I have OEM 15" and 16" rims and these are one of the very few performance tyres still available for this combination of sizes. although I have found one supplier who still has the Yoko A022H1's but they are over £200 each :mad: !

If you know, can you also indicate if your geometry settings are 'factory' or not as this is a major factor in whether specific tyres will perform well or not.

Thanks for help on this continuingly devisive issue!

gsuds
13-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Hi Steve,

My wheels are 16/17 but put on Toyo Proxes a month/1500miles ago. Once pressures adjusted to factory spec (!) they're really very good - no complaints. I was a bit worried that going up a width (225F/255R) would give "too much" grip, but, no, that delicate balance is preserved, and you can still paint black lines on the road in tight corners with TC off....in fact the TC light still flicks a lot even on a straight dry road! The alignment has just been reset to standard by Honda.

HTH

Graham

Steveycaz
16-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Right - been doing a little more research. Looks like Michelin are out, Bridgestone are out and Toyo Proxes are out. Reason is that either they don't do the 15" / 16" combination at all, or they do and the fronts are a lower speed rating than the back (usuall V and W) and this will cause handling problems.

However, Dunlop SP2000 do have a W rated combination as does the Pirelli P7.

Yokohama have several new model of high performance tyres (ADVAN and sDrive ranges) but size information isn't available yet.

However, Toyo have launched a road-legal track day tyre:cool:, in pure Z speed rating that will fit the NA1 wheel sizes. I'm sure it will only last about 2 return trips to work but take a look at this... http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=18
I'll update if I find a stockist and price info...