PDA

View Full Version : NC1 maxed out on the Autobahn 😎

Pride
06-11-2016, 02:15 PM
Autocar mag has maxed out the new NSX and as expected it achieved it's claimed top speed of 191mph.👏

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/11/5/The-Acura-NSX-Just-Hit-192-MPH-On-The-Autobahn-And-Here-s-The-Proof-7736290/

What disapoints me though is that it achieved this while showing only 6300rpm on the tacho and with over 1000rpm left before the red line comes in surely Acura could have made it possible to break the 200mph+ barrier, particularly as all the true supercars that it's targeting in it's market sector achieve this and then some.

Has Acura restricted the top speed for some technical safety reason or is that just too simplistic a thought??? 🤔

NSX 2000
07-11-2016, 10:45 AM
What disapoints me though is that it achieved this while showing only 6300rpm on the tacho and with over 1000rpm left before the red line comes in surely Acura could have made it possible to break the 200mph+ barrier, particularly as all the true supercars that it's targeting in it's market sector achieve this and then some.

Has Acura restricted the top speed for some technical safety reason or is that just too simplistic a thought??? 樂

My understanding is, it's the gearing. when the car changes into 9th or 8th gear that is when it stops accelerating.

What impressed me was how well it kept accelerating all the way upto the 309km/h

Pride
07-11-2016, 12:38 PM
My understanding is, it's the gearing. when the car changes into 9th or 8th gear that is when it stops accelerating.

What impressed me was how well it kept accelerating all the way upto the 309km/h

I too was very impressed with it's rate of acceleration up to its now known gear controlled speed limiter.

So it just baffles me as to why Acura/Honda would not want or even allow their so called halo supercar to be the fastest Japanese production car on the market, particularly with the type of people buying these exotic cars and then it would allow them to at least have their bragging rights to there friends of being able to go over 200mph (323kph). I'm sure a lot of wealthy people would buy one for that reason alone even if they never achieve that speed themselves.

Presumably the gearbox gearing is electronically controlled and if so I'm sure it won't be long before an aftermarket software hack or upgrade will be available, just a shame Acura/Honda don't make it do it from standard.

To tick all the boxes in todays supercar for me would be:

Sub 3 second 0-60
Sub 7 second 0-100
200mph+
1.2+ lateral g force
Carbon brakes as standard.
A fully driver adjustable exhaust note and volume control. (Every Journo so far keeps saying how quiet and even EVO saying boring the exhaust sounds compared to its rivals so this would completely silence them, no pun intended:))

It will be interesting to see if the NC1-R will be allowed to break into the magic 200mph+ club.

NoelWatson
07-11-2016, 01:35 PM
Autocar mag has maxed out the new NSX and as expected it achieved it's claimed top speed of 191mph.��

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/11/5/The-Acura-NSX-Just-Hit-192-MPH-On-The-Autobahn-And-Here-s-The-Proof-7736290/

Has Acura restricted the top speed for some technical safety reason or is that just too simplistic a thought??? ��

Peak power of 507PS is from 6500-7500rpm (electric motors will be unlikely to provide input for too long at that speed), so I'm not sure it would go much quicker. I recall the original Diablo broke 200mph with <500bhp, but not sure how the CdAs compare

greenberet
07-11-2016, 04:41 PM
Looking at that video, my guess is that the top speed is electronically limited. The car pulled to its redline in seventh relatively quickly, indicating that it still had some power to spare. After shifting to eighth, the revs fell to about 6350. At those revs, Honda says the engine can still produce close to peak power (see here (http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8899-en)) but after the shift it looks like the car's speed neither increased nor decreased. In a press release, Honda stated that "stable cornering can be achieved up to and beyond 190 mph (308 kph)" (see here (http://news.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=8898-en)). If the car could go beyond 190 mph, maybe Honda decided to put it on an electronic leash so that Y-rated tires could be used or for some such reason.

I agree it would be interesting what the new NSX's CdA is. When directly asked, the "large project leader" for the car stated, "we don't quote numbers" (go to 11:08 in this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8JwgDAPPqg) video). Nice. If the German magazine "Sport Auto" tests the new NSX, hopefully they'll put it in the wind tunnel they usually use. Then we'll know how the new NSX's drag compares to that of other cars they put in that wind tunnel such as a 1997 NSX and a 2002 NSX-R.

goldnsx
07-11-2016, 05:04 PM
The 'old' NSX was pretty good with 0.30-0.32. Even if Gen2 is lower it will eaten up by the bigger frontal area. If the old one got 280 km/h with 280 hp, the new one is some kind of disappointing with 'only' 309 km/h with double of power.

NZNick
07-11-2016, 06:43 PM
They are saving 200mph+ for the forthcoming Type R.

Pride
07-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Interesting info quote about tyre ratings:

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y
186 mph, 300 km/h

285/35ZR19 (99Y)
in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

Maybe this could be the reason as to why Acura/Honda do not want to go any faster, there are no higher speed ratings on tyres than stated above and Acura/Honda just don't want to run the risk of a multi million pound law suit if the tyre fails.
This creates a "safe" supercar if in the hands of an owner like me I suppose.😎

The Italians and a few others on the other hand, imho, just allow the taps to open on nearly all of their exotics, "if it can exceed 200mph then let's see by how much".....😬

And the extreme of power and speed supercars then get custom made tyres, (P1, Veyron, Koenigsek etc) at a great cost.

I don't suppose we'll ever know the real truth as to why?:(

Pride
07-11-2016, 07:20 PM
The 'old' NSX was pretty good with 0.30-0.32. Even if Gen2 is lower it will eaten up by the bigger frontal area. If the old one got 280 km/h with 280 hp, the new one is some kind of disappointing with 'only' 309 km/h with double of power.

Interesting read here:

It assumes a car weighing 2500 lbs with driver, losses are 15% of the flywheel power.

SPEED (MPH)
FLYWHEEL POWER
REQUIRED

http://www.pugheaven.co.uk/When%20a%20car%20moves%20along%20a%20flat%20road%2 0the%20engine%20has%20to%20work%20to%20overcome%20 two%20main%20resistances.htm

Pride
07-11-2016, 07:22 PM

Should be 200+ now and 225+ for the Type-R.😳😎:)

NZNick
08-11-2016, 12:27 AM
The Type-R will have the "special ZR" tyres.

Senninha
08-11-2016, 07:10 AM

I agree, plus, how many of you have maxed your NSX? It would be so nice to read a thread where Honda owners supported and celebrated everything Honda has achieved with this new NSX, instead we get repetition about what they should or could have done.

Honda changed the game in the 90's with the original. From my understanding it took just as long to develop as the current one but no one really knew as we were not bombarded by social media, so instead the motoring world was delivered a new sports car that changed the way people expected these cars to behave.

Today, the fortunate few will soon take delivery of Honda's new game changer that provides hyper car technology in an "affordable" platform. I suspect (as I don't know but have discussed with Honda representatives) that this time they have a marketing plan. I hope it follows the Audi approach that will see a new variant every couple of years, i.e. Cabriolet, GT3, a lower spec entry model and an NSX-R variant ..... and as they do, so will come the extra performance some need to see on paper.

Im told it takes an awful lot more power to add each 1mph when you are above 180 ... but each one comes higher component stress and wear. Honda is a world leader in reliability and will not risk this reputation for a headline number as brand damage alone would outweigh the benefit. Unleashed the new NSX may well hit 200 but at what price. They will save this headline for the ultimate halo model, equip it with tyres and other components that won't throw someone off the autobahn and then, maybe, the negative 'supporters' will finally be happy.

Plans Performance
08-11-2016, 08:47 AM
I drove the new NSX last wednesday. Really interesting. But the thing is, the best thing about it is not how it does 180mph but how it does 18mph. Quiet mode is really cool, and moves seamlessly onto internal combustion as you squeeze the throttle. I think the jury is still out on what it does differently to many other cars out on the market, but as a cool road car it is really is a great achievement by the design and development team (IMHO, as they say) - More details / photos / video to follow once we get clearance to share.

havoc
08-11-2016, 10:44 PM
how many of you have maxed your NSX?

Hit a GPS'd 155 on the A'bahn...rate of advance was slowing down by that point and a bend was approaching rather rapidly. So not quite, but close.

In general I agree though - raw figures are for top trumps and pub bragging. Far rather a car that's nice-to-drive if slower than the opposition...which actually defines the NA1/NA2 rather well...

Pride
09-11-2016, 05:10 AM
raw figures are for top trump

Acura should now give Donald the next RED NC1 off the production line after tonight.👏👏🇺🇸🇺🇸😂

dcnsx
09-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Id better get myself an NSX sharpish then before Trump blows up the world!

Pride
09-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Id better get myself an NSX sharpish then before Trump blows up the world!

All I can is Brexit X 10, good on ya America 👍

Dragonlady
10-11-2016, 11:39 AM
Sorry to spoil your little party, but after watching the clip............

What a f@@king moron driving at that speed when there are other cars and lorries on the road. After being in Germany two weeks ago on the autobahn doing 100 plus is risky enough. We had numerous cars pull out in front of us only doing 70-80 and we had to brake hard to avoid rear ending them. At a closing speed of 80 mph plus he would not have stood a chance! Killing third parties in the process. And not to mention filming himself whilst doing it!
Yes we all have fun whilst driving, but there is a time and a place for it, not on a busy road.
And I thought people on this forum were a little more sensible than that and not like boy racers on other sites.
If that video showed a kid racing at speed like that and causing a pile up and fatalities, you all be singing a different tune then!
rant over.
Ian

Problem Child
10-11-2016, 12:34 PM

What a f@@king moron driving at that speed when there are other cars and lorries on the road. After being in Germany two weeks ago on the autobahn doing 100 plus is risky enough. We had numerous cars pull out in front of us only doing 70-80 and we had to brake hard to avoid rear ending them. At a closing speed of 80 mph plus he would not have stood a chance! Killing third parties in the process. And not to mention filming himself whilst doing it!
Yes we all have fun whilst driving, but there is a time and a place for it, not on a busy road.
And I thought people on this forum were a little more sensible than that and not like boy racers on other sites.
If that video showed a kid racing at speed like that and causing a pile up and fatalities, you all be singing a different tune then!
rant over.
Ian

Couldn't have said it better myself, Ian. I too was horrified.

Please note only the Red NC1's can top 200

Pride
10-11-2016, 01:40 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself, Ian. I too was horrified.

Please note only the Red NC1's can top 200

Good point well made Geoff.:)

NoelWatson
10-11-2016, 01:43 PM
Peak power of 507PS is from 6500-7500rpm (electric motors will be unlikely to provide input for too long at that speed), so I'm not sure it would go much quicker. I recall the original Diablo broke 200mph with <500bhp, but not sure how the CdAs compare

Just watched video again - if you look on the left hand side of dash you can see what looks like stability control light flashing, so maybe something is causing power to be reined in.

greenberet
10-11-2016, 02:46 PM
Good eye! The "Vehicle Stability Assist" indicator light comes on at an indicated 308-309 km/h.

In my NA1, the traction control cuts in at about 7550 rpm in fifth gear and prevents further acceleration. If the traction control is turned off, the TCS doesn't kick in at that speed but the yellow TCS failure light comes on instead. Maybe Honda did something similar with the NC1.

Edit: That would be easy to test - just turn off the Vehicle Stability Assist system and see how fast an NC1 will go then. I recently read a review of some new car (Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?) whose top speed is limited as long as the stability control is on. The journalist was incredulous but if Honda did that as well, they wouldn't be alone.

Pride
10-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Good eye! The "Vehicle Stability Assist" indicator light comes on at an indicated 308-309 km/h.

In my NA1, the traction control cuts in at about 7550 rpm in fifth gear and prevents further acceleration. If the traction control is turned off, the TCS doesn't kick in at that speed but the yellow TCS failure light comes on instead. Maybe Honda did something similar with the NC1.

Edit: That would be easy to test - just turn off the Vehicle Stability Assist system and see how fast an NC1 will go then. I recently read a review of some new car (Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio?) whose top speed is limited as long as the stability control is on. The journalist was incredulous but if Honda did that as well, they wouldn't be alone.

In that case lets hope soon then that another magazine Journo takes it back up the autobahn for another flat out thrashing with the traction control turned off, because as dragonlady well knows it's the only LEGAL place to top 200mph.
Clarkson's new tv show, Gand Tour, would be the perfect place to test this theory so let's hope he reads this.:)

Dragonlady
10-11-2016, 07:50 PM
You can use my real name, and not the wife's forum name, I won't be offended.
And yes, it is legal to do whatever speed. Most people would use brain matter to deduct wether it is an appropriate time to do so.
You could LEGALY do 70 mph on a uk motorway in thick fog, visibility down to less than 10m, but would you? They don't always put up speed restrictions on the gantry.

Ian

greenberet
10-11-2016, 08:17 PM
The death rate on motorways per million passenger miles driven is about the same in Germany as it is in all the neighboring countries (that have general speed limits). I'd image the speed differentials could be disconcerting if you're not used to them, though.

Pride
13-11-2016, 08:52 PM

rant over.
Ian

Looks like your rant worked Ian, this forum is back to being an empty reference library again, remember those, boring 😴💤

Dragonlady
14-11-2016, 08:07 AM
Sorry Pride, but there is a time and a place, as you know from the pancake run.
Yes do it on the autobahn, but when it's quiet, i.e. Crack of dawn on a stretch that doesn't have traffic.
At the speed he was doing he is travelling about 80m a second. Now if somebody looked in their rear view mirror and saw him 300m away, thought "ok plenty of room" and pulled out without looking again or indicating as they sometimes do, yon are now 120m away with a closing speed of 70, 80mph plus, less than a second to react = accident!
It happened to us as I said earlier whilst in Germany, luckily we were only doing about 110mph, but we still had to brake hard.
I'm all for seeing what these cars are capable of, and you know we have a fun drive in Wales when it's clear to enjoy our cars.
Just saying time and place, safety first.

Ian

britlude
14-11-2016, 04:39 PM
hang on......

hold it right there.....

just sorting the popcorn and getting in a comfy seat :)

Pride
14-11-2016, 06:19 PM
hang on......

hold it right there.....

just sorting the popcorn and getting in a comfy seat :)

Make sure you put your seat belt on then, something I'm always guilty of not doing, and then tearing up the autobahn in this newly announced beauty, surely this will do way over 200mph and out perform everything in and out of it's class.😎🎉

http://www.opptrends.com/2016/11/2017-acura-nsx-type-r-will-have-over-700-hp/

Dragonlady
15-11-2016, 06:55 PM
Drool!
It's a shame they don't ditch the electric motors and batteries to save weight and up the bhp of the motor, which I'm sure is possible with a remap, exhaust etc etc and make it rear wheel drive.
And then keep all the little luxuries.
Ian

Dragonlady
15-11-2016, 06:57 PM
Is the popcorn sweet and salty? Pass some over.

havoc
15-11-2016, 07:55 PM
I hope you've brought enough for everyone Jonathan...can see this being a 3-reeler! ;)

Pride
15-11-2016, 08:33 PM
Drool!
It's a shame they don't ditch the electric motors and batteries to save weight and up the bhp of the motor, which I'm sure is possible with a remap, exhaust etc etc and make it rear wheel drive.
And then keep all the little luxuries.
Ian

Very true Ian, particularly as they've already managed to develop 500bhp out of a 2litre lump for the upcoming new SuperGT series in the GT500 category and boy what a weight saving this monster is without its batteries.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1107063_honda-reveals-new-nsx-gt-super-gt-racer

On that basis, near 1000bhp could be possible I'm sure with the Type-R, so forget the autobahn :) definitely Nardo or better still the salt flats for these insane dreams.:)

britlude
15-11-2016, 10:33 PM
after much research i found this... https://h-tune.co.uk/honda-type-r-750-bhp-upgrade-kit/

i say 'found', it popped up on my faceache feed, from another group.......

.... don't read down the customer comments if you are of a delicate disposition...... :)

...now, if it came with LEDs.....

Pride
15-11-2016, 11:32 PM
after much research i found this... https://h-tune.co.uk/honda-type-r-750-bhp-upgrade-kit/

i say 'found', it popped up on my faceache feed, from another group.......

.... don't read down the customer comments if you are of a delicate disposition...... :)

...now, if it came with LEDs.....

Now that is hilarious 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

But it looks like Sudesh must have beaten us all to try it out, as I saw his comment posted, hope he finds it faster than his Lamborghini::)

"Would recommend this to anyone, so I would.
Car now goes like **** off a shovel now, so it does
Bit disappointed as my vinyl records keep jumping, so I am.
Can beat any car on the road now, so I can.

Best mod I have ever bought, so it is !"

Pride
03-02-2017, 09:16 PM
Sorry Pride, but there is a time and a place, as you know from the pancake run.
Yes do it on the autobahn, but when it's quiet, i.e. Crack of dawn on a stretch that doesn't have traffic.
At the speed he was doing he is travelling about 80m a second. Now if somebody looked in their rear view mirror and saw him 300m away, thought "ok plenty of room" and pulled out without looking again or indicating as they sometimes do, yon are now 120m away with a closing speed of 70, 80mph plus, less than a second to react = accident!
It happened to us as I said earlier whilst in Germany, luckily we were only doing about 110mph, but we still had to brake hard.
I'm all for seeing what these cars are capable of, and you know we have a fun drive in Wales when it's clear to enjoy our cars.
Just saying time and place, safety first.

Ian

I totally agree with you Ian, I spotted this in the daily mail today and as I couldn't stop thinking about your response I thought I would post this link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4176616/Supercar-filmed-speeding-seconds-crashes.html