PDA

View Full Version : CAR COVER

jaytip
30-06-2006, 11:40 PM
After an NSX car cover,a waterproof outdoor one if they are available.
Cheers.

sportyking
01-07-2006, 08:16 AM
Covercraft covers are the best, no question.

Weathershield for lightweight easy to dry out and store cover. 100% waterproof and actually quite entertaining to see in action. Very expensive. About £350 in Uk, cheaper in US due to exchange rates but mine got lost for over 3 months.

Noah is thicker more bulky and does not dry itself as quick as weathershield. Similar price as it is more heavy duty.

I think they are guaranteed for three years.

All Covercraft covers are fitted covers. Not one size fits all types.

jaytip
01-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the info.

98NSX-T
01-07-2006, 07:32 PM
To my knowledge, there are no "waterproof" covers and you DON'T want a waterproof cover as that will create mildew when moisture gets trapped from evaporation from the ground under the car.

For several years now, I have introduced the most compact, UV resistant, water resistant car cover that you can find in the market; both for indoor and outdoor use. It fits the Type R wing as well as the 02+ years. And two customers purchased it for their wide body - though fitment is tight on the fenders. Here is a pic of the 02+

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57969&highlight=car+cover

And we are the only company that offers a lifetime warranty. Hands down it beats any other manufactirer's product You can read about the many happy customers on Prime.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25088&highlight=car+cover

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=233417&postcount=1

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50660&highlight=car+cover

sportyking
01-07-2006, 08:06 PM
WeatherShield®, uses a patented immersion process that uses heat and pressure to permanently encapsulate the fibers of the fabric to shed moisture and block dust, dirt, bird droppings, tree sap and grime. This encapsulation process places an ultra-thin coating around the fabric fibers and at the same time creates a durable, breathable barrier within the woven polyester fabric to complete the high performance finish process. Unlike traditional coatings and laminations that just protect one side of the fabric WeatherShield® places long-lasting protective formulas inside the fabric.

The result is a fabric that provides maximum protection, but isn't bulky and hard to store. Using this immersion encapsulation technology we've created the ultimate car cover...and we named it WeatherShield because no other fabric has every shielded your car or truck from the elements like this one!

This magnified photo gives you an idea how the immersion encapsulation coats the fibers and fills the voids between the threads with a breathable barrier to assure any moisture that does get under the cover (or heat on a hot summer day) can easily escape through the fabric. During evaporation moisture turns into vapor and the vapor is smaller than water droplets so it easily transfers through the fabric. The base, high-strength, polyester fabric is naturally UV resistant, but we've added UV inhibitors to the polymers to help slow-down the degradation that occurs naturally on anything exposed to sun for an extended period of time.

* Weatherproof - Fabric sheds water as soon as it hits the cover.
* Superior Dry Time - Because the fabric sheds moisture it has an absorption factor of only 2%, compared with up to 40% for standard woven and non-woven fabrics. That means, if the cover has been sitting out in the rain you only need to shake it and the residue moisture will easily dry, in the trunk or on the car.
* Breathable - Allows any heat or condensation under the cover to easily escape.
* UV Resistant - Special additives prevent UV degradation and protect the vehicles finish and interior.
* Dust-proof - Patented fiber encapsulation process prevents dust from filtering through the fabric.
* Scratch-less - Polymers provide a silky smooth finish to the fabric and provide superior paint protection. Nextec fabric has been tested at 1,000 cycles on abrasion wheels without scratching (surface must be clean and waxed).
* Durable - The encapsulation process is not affected by heat or cold and the process won't degrade over the life of the fabric.
* Easy Care - Unlike non-woven fabrics you can clean most car-size WeatherShield covers in your HOME washer and dryer.
* Packs Small & Light - All this protection in a lightweight package that packs into 1/4 to 1/2 the volume of multi-layer, non-woven fabrics. That's a cover for a Honda Accord he's holding - minimal storage space, but high-performance protection.

Machine washable in a household machine as well!!!!
This cover is 100% waterproof in normal use and I wouldn't put a cover on aything in extreme weather like gales and hurricanes as it would do more harm than good.
After all the covers I have tried, it is the best by far........IMO.

98NSX-T
02-07-2006, 03:27 AM
I appreciate the post by sportyking to add further details about Weathershield, but I stand firm on my statement that it is NOT waterproof.

I believe the above description for Weathershield car cover, which is a good product, is from this website or a similar one since they all use the same text given by Covercraft:

http://www.carcoverworld.com/weathershield.asp

Please read carefully the description re Sheds Water (other websites refer to this entry using the term Waterproof but then read the descriptor). IT IS NOT WATERPROOF, and it DOES NOT state that it is waterproof but rather that it sheds water as most outdoor car cover fabrics do. Waterproof and water resistant or shedding water are NOT the same - even if referenced in the context of normal use, and it can't be since a waterproof fabric will damage the paint if there is prolonged moisture trapped which is a "normal" occurance if you live in humid areas. [Also check your watches and see how many manufacturers are now using water resistant description instead of waterproof in normal use ....]. Almost all car cover fabrics that are water resistant will eventually leak through the seams if there is high pressure - such as from gusty rain/wind, power wahsers/hoses, or if dirt goes into the seams or even through the fabric itself (as Watershield notes also) causing moisture or damage to seep through. I still have to see a company that claims their's is waterproof. In fact, the host site by Covercraft refers to the following:

http://www.carcoverworld.com/fabrics.asp

Which Cover is Right For You?

At Car Cover World, we offer a wide selection of Covercraft fabrics. This allows you to select the fabric that meets your vehicle's protection needs and your budget. Different fabrics offer different levels of protection performance, and some fabrics focus on protecting from a specific element, like intense sun exposure or dust. Covercraft® Fabrics are based on over 35 years experience in manufacturing covers. Review the info below to help identify which fabric is Best suited for the protection you require.

All Covercraft® Fabrics are "breathable" to allow good air circulation under the cover. That's important because it assures that any moisture or condensation under the cover can easily evaporate. Our covers also reduce heat build-up on hot days. Customers sometime ask whether a cover is waterproof. COVERS ARE NOT 100% WATERPROOF. Our outdoor covers offer varying degrees of "water resistance". If a waterproof solution is your goal, then a car cover may not be your answer. [Blue emphasis added]

Evolution® / Technalon®, NOAH®, and WeatherShield™ provide excellent all-weather protection. For outside extreme sun environment, Sunbrella® may be the Best cover to use. For paint protection from dust and dirt during indoor storage, consider Tan Flannel or Dustop®.

Remember, a cover not only protects BOTH the inside and outside of a vehicle, it also acts as a theft-deterrent by keeping the vehicle out of view to potential thieves.
-------------

There are many good products on the market, and Covercraft offers a good selection, and the OEM is good also - I had used one for years but got tired of picking the lent after every use. Some products will fit the bill for different needs better than others. We DO NOT recommend that you dry the water resistatnt covers in the dryer as the heat will damage the sheen and UV protective coating - when companies say you can use a dryer it is mostly a marketing pitch for convenience, please read the fine print or ask if this will damage the UV or the water shedding properties over time. We recommend that you hang it on a fence or the garage door or cloth hanging wire.

We believe our IntroTech car cover is the best for those who do not want a bulky indoor/outdoor cover, it is cheaper when you add all the other accessories, and we stand 100% behind our marketing text. We don't make sales pitches that we don't back up with support and warranty. And since our cover's introduction to the NSX community in 2003 (followed by the F16 version, and using the same fabric for stacked or individual tire covers), we haven't had a single return or warranty issue.

HTH. YMMV.

sportyking
02-07-2006, 08:45 AM
I would hope that by the time we reach the age of owning an NSX we realise the good companies out there will not advertise using the word waterproof because of the potential litigation. The only waterproof cover out there would obviously be a hermetically sealed bag, which is no longer a cover. Even a garage is not waterproof, if spray a hose at the door jams!

I point towards Covercraft because they do a range of covers to suit all neads. I mentioned the Weathershield as I think this is best for a daily driver. If you have kids/people nearby the Noah may be better.

I stand by the fact that at the point these modern covers become ineffective, the car would already be better off without a cover on.