PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Bridgestone S02 on front & S03 on rear: ???

slieve_croob
30-06-2006, 06:38 PM
My rear Bridgestone S02 are now fully worn, the fronts are lightly worn

I am not readily able to source similar S02s locally for the rear

Car is 1992 NSX 5speed.

Is mixing S03s on the rear with S02 on the front an option, or alternatively can you direct me to a thread that will conclude this debate?

Regards

Slieve_Croob

Greybloke
30-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Had a similar dilemma recently.
Apparently the SO3 are now not made, and are superceeded by .... wait for it.......

SO4's

Iv'e now got S02 front and SO4 at the rear, and they are great.

Hope this helps :D

slieve_croob
30-06-2006, 09:49 PM
Greybloke

Thanks for the response. Very happy to accept your opinion.

Can you or indeed someone advise me if these variations from SO2 /3/ 4 are just a mild tweaking of the same tyre struture /compound/etc.., or is there a fundemental difference between variants.?

Fundementally, is the handling balance affected by different variants on front and back axles as distinct to same tyre variants on all four wheels?

Query more out of curiosity. Perhaps the technical equivalent of the vell versed and resourseful "Oilman" is out there, and may I now call such person the "Tyreman" to provide an equally well resoursed explanation.

Regards

Slieve_Croob.

modarr
01-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Hi,

The benefits of newer tyres will only be noticeable on the edge of the handling envelope. I've had S02 and S03 on track and the differences are too subtle for me to pick up. Others may have more to tell.

If you put the newer tyres on the back, if there is a significant difference you will increase rear end grip and tend to understeer more. This is safer than the opposite.

Can't see any harm in it unless you drive on the edge all of the time.

Mo

NSA
02-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Don't forget any new tyres on the back will feel 'squirmy' until they have bedded in. Dunlop reckons 500 miles for theirs. I've had 8050s on the front and 8080s on the back for a while and they're fine.

Minch
02-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Anybody know where I can get a good deal on a rear set of S03's/S04's? Mine has cra**y Faulkens on it and with the new suspension set-up I'm having installed I think I'm gonna need better rear grip to make the most of it.

Cheers
Nathan

NSXGB
03-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Is 'tyreman' still around on here? He offered some good deals on tyres....

simonprelude
03-07-2006, 07:55 AM
I use event mobile for all tyres now, they come round your house / place of work and fit there and then, prices are very competitve as well.

sportyking
03-07-2006, 02:44 PM
500 miles to bed in :shock:

That's over a quarter of the life of my last set of rear tyres (OEM Yokohama A022Hs) :D

And I have never felt the need to switch off the traction control either!