PDA

View Full Version : Best place to fit new shocks?

Problem Child
21-08-2016, 06:00 PM
My car has its original factory fitted shock absorbers, and being 18 years old I thought it might be time to replace them.

Have been recommended Bilstein B6's (which will also allow it to be lowered slightly) on current springs. Anyone you'd recommend to do the work. Preferably in the South East?

NSXGB
21-08-2016, 06:53 PM
Take it to Norton Way, not too far from you?

havoc
21-08-2016, 08:51 PM
Fitment should be straightforward (my local dealer does all my servicing and did it no issues - fitted B6's on the lower perch last Spring) - geo alignment afterwards is at least as critical.

Thoughts on the B6's:-
- looked a little low at the front vs the back initially, seem better 'balanced' now after a few thou miles, oddly. Ride height looks about right on OE 16/17" wheels - maybe a few mm too low for my aesthetic, but everyone's different.
- They're definitely firmer than OE dampers - compared to 110k NA1 coupe dampers (i.e. tired), they're ~15-20% stiffer at speed, significantly more composed under cornering, but also notably 'firmer' (not quite crashier) at lower speed - that's the main downside - through towns you've lost a chunk of the magic-carpet effect of OE dampers. Still better than all modern hot-hatches though...

Problem Child
22-08-2016, 11:27 AM
Take it to Norton Way, not too far from you?

Thats a good shout, as that's where I usually take the car for servicing, MOT etc

Problem Child
22-08-2016, 11:28 AM
Fitment should be straightforward (my local dealer does all my servicing and did it no issues - fitted B6's on the lower perch last Spring) - geo alignment afterwards is at least as critical.

Thoughts on the B6's:-
- looked a little low at the front vs the back initially, seem better 'balanced' now after a few thou miles, oddly. Ride height looks about right on OE 16/17" wheels - maybe a few mm too low for my aesthetic, but everyone's different.
- They're definitely firmer than OE dampers - compared to 110k NA1 coupe dampers (i.e. tired), they're ~15-20% stiffer at speed, significantly more composed under cornering, but also notably 'firmer' (not quite crashier) at lower speed - that's the main downside - through towns you've lost a chunk of the magic-carpet effect of OE dampers. Still better than all modern hot-hatches though...

Nice write up. I am looking for something a bit firmer as mine tended to "wallow" around the bends on the Pancake run

lotusolly
22-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Hi Geoff,

If your trying to loose the wallowing, I found uprating the anti roll bars (sway bars) was more effective.
I replaced mine with 22mm diameter bars front and rear and it completely lost the wallowing effect but didn't harden the ride.

Olly

Hagasan
22-08-2016, 05:28 PM
I think you need to define what you mean by wallowing? If you mean body roll then as Steve says firmer anti-rollbars will help that. If you mean a sensation of floating then probably the dampers is not sufficient. Remember though that you have a Targa so the springs are softer than the coupe ones..

Pride
22-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Hi Geoff,

If your trying to loose the wallowing, I found uprating the anti roll bars (sway bars) was more effective.
I replaced mine with 22mm diameter bars front and rear and it completely lost the wallowing effect but didn't harden the ride.

Olly

Totally agree with Olly, sway bars will eliminate your wallowing without getting caught up in the technical nightmare of which model coilover kit, what spring rate, then what ride height only to make a big fat hole in your wallet and every possibility of knocking noises from your "high performance" mods for your pleasure.
Sway bars first every time in my opinion too.

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx/spp/suspension-accessories/scienceofspeed-adjustable-anti-sway-bars-for-nsx.html