PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Refurbishment

kowalski
22-06-2006, 12:17 PM
Had quite a bit of curb rash, and a lot of corrosion on my split rims. About a week after Silverstone was cut up by a Chav in a Nova near Epson badly denting one of the rears.

Had difficulty finding a decent Wheel refurbisher who would handle split rims.

Took all four to Wicked Wheels in Crawley who split them down, straightened the rims, welded new metal onto the curb damage before skimming them down with a lathe and repolishing. Corrosion was removed on main part of the wheels and re-powder coated. All work was done in 3 weeks and collected the afternoon of my Le Mans trip. cost £125 per wheel + VAT. As good as new now.

I think they are about £50 per wheel for non split rims but worth trying if you have damaged wheels

leigh

simonprelude
22-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Seems pretty good, these are the guys I use.

http://www.wheelrefurbishing.com/pricelist.htm

Papalazarou
26-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Wow! My faith in British industry is restored. Looks like someone actually did their job properly. Awesome looking wheels.

James.

sportyking
27-06-2006, 10:03 AM
Micheldever tyres have a wheel refurb facility.

DO NOT USE IT!

I had a set of TT alloys done there.
The wheels look like some dosser has done them in the shed at the bottom of his garden.

kowalski
27-06-2006, 11:46 AM
They surprised me with the quality, I thought I was going to have to get a new rim because of the extent of the ding. Fixed as good as new.

Thought they were going to be a bit of a max power place when first heard of them but went to the workshops and was very impressed. They also do a mobile service but this wasnt an option for split rims.

For Info

Wicked Wheels
Unit 7
Fleming way Industrial Estate
Crawley
RH10 9NX

07798 830415

or nationwide

www.wickedwheels.co.uk

leigh

forumadmin
27-06-2006, 06:43 PM
Micheldever tyres have a wheel refurb facility.

DO NOT USE IT!

I had a set of TT alloys done there.
The wheels look like some dosser has done them in the shed at the bottom of his garden.

Completely agree. My old wheels were white when I bought them, I had Micheldever powder coat them silver. There was a bare patch on the inside rim where they were hung up for spraying. Also they coated the hub face and nut 'seats'. At the track the powder melted in these places causing the wheel to become loose and wobble about. I could of broken studs or anything.

Senninha
10-07-2006, 11:20 AM
Hi Leigh,

The refurb work looks to be of great quality.

Having now been to Le Mans and other useage, how is the work holding up? I've read several times of people suffering from paint bubbling/flaking once the wheels have seen some use and had some heat through them.

Appreciate your feedback.

Regards

DAVEMAT
10-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Hi Leigh,

I would also like some feedback.
After having my car in at TDI to have a new HKS exhaust and induction kit fitted, :D I curbed one of my rears entering a service station on my way home, my own fault, trying to answer the phone (tut tut) and not paying attention. :(
:D to :( so quick I didn't want to get out and look.
Anyway I've been drawing a complete blank on where to get it refurbed, until your post.
Looks like a quality job, so Wicked Wheels have recieved my wheel today, and are getting on with the job.
Are your wheel rims bare alloy now, or were they relaquered?

Cheers

Dave

kowalski
11-07-2006, 09:11 PM
Had no problems with paint bubbling or flaking, have done about 1500 miles of "fun" driving so have had a bit of heat through them, especially after getting the car on track at Le Mans.

Only took it up to 140 but no problems with balance or vibration which i thought there might have been considering the work carried out.

Rims are now bare alloy, not laquered but I polish with wd40 which keeps corrosion away.

Hope yours comes out good Dave.

leigh

NSXGB
21-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Giving this place a try too as it's just down the road from me.
I was quoted £55+vat. to refurb a standard blade which had no damage, just flaking paint.
Should take 48hrs to turnaround at the moment. They even took the wheel off for me and put the space saver on.

DAVEMAT
22-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Had to post mine off to them, but it was back within 10 days, tyre fitted and balanced, just can't wait to get home on Thursday to give it a proper examination, but if it's owt like Leighs, I think no worries.

NSXGB
26-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Got it back - 48 hours turnaround (discounting the weekend). Like new, they also got rid of some pitting that the previous refurb company did not bother sorting.
Well worth the money....taking bets on how quickly I'll kerb it...

Senninha
26-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Where's the before and after photo's :?: ......... PLEASE :)

NSXGB
27-07-2006, 06:35 AM
:oops: ....no before photos I'm afraid, but I'll post some closeups of the finished article if you like.

kowalski
27-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Glad they did a good job for you guys, wasn't keen on promoting them if they weren't good!

leigh

NSXGB
29-07-2006, 08:34 PM
...taken some pics, but having trouble uploading them at work.

Incidentally, today I tought I'd check the tyre pressures to make sure they'd put enough in (rear wheel)....50psi :shock: .

DAVEMAT
30-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Finally got back to see my wheel, and yes it's another resounding success by Wicked Wheels, can't fault them, it,s as good as new.
Plus I also got back to some boxes of other goodies.

DAVEMAT
30-07-2006, 09:35 AM
New cover and various bling