PDA

View Full Version : Clutch replacement cost horror 😱

Pride
22-04-2016, 09:02 PM
And there's me thinking the yanks were cheaper on NSX oem parts.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/4/22/Wait-A-Clutch-Job-On-An-Old-Acura-NSX-Costs-How-Much-7733190/

darock
24-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Have seen the video 2 days ago.

Question is, why they replaced the flywheel. Unless its damaged, why would anyone change that? Shouldn't it last multiple clutches?

Beside the flywheel, the price sounds not too unusual.

Bernhard

ozon02
10-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Hi,
what is the average lifespan clutch for NA 1 (I know that this is dependent on several factors )

Pride
10-05-2016, 07:42 PM
There is no such thing as "average lifespan" as you know.

For instance my 1992 clutch is still on the original and it has now done 138,000 miles.

ozon02
10-05-2016, 07:49 PM
as you comment

"There is one primary reason why NSXs have clutch issues, and it is mostly due to the way Honda designed the clutch. All NSX clutches have too little surface area right out of the factory despite being higher-horsepower cars; so when test driving a used NSX, be sure to listen for any undue engine racing when going through gears or when gunning it up an incline, which is a sure sign of a fading clutch. Be prepared to replace that clutch every 40,000 to 50,000 miles (about half the lifespan of typical manual Hondas), and always be sure to engage the clutch quickly and release it in the same fashion to prolong the life of that freshly installed transmission component."

Pride
10-05-2016, 07:56 PM
as you comment

"There is one primary reason why NSXs have clutch issues, and it is mostly due to the way Honda designed the clutch. All NSX clutches have too little surface area right out of the factory despite being higher-horsepower cars; so when test driving a used NSX, be sure to listen for any undue engine racing when going through gears or when gunning it up an incline, which is a sure sign of a fading clutch. Be prepared to replace that clutch every 40,000 to 50,000 miles (about half the lifespan of typical manual Hondas), and always be sure to engage the clutch quickly and release it in the same fashion to prolong the life of that freshly installed transmission component."

Not sure I understand your reasoning on my earlier reply as it totally contradicts what you say here. 🤔

Nie bardzo rozumiem co masz na myśli z mojej wcześniejszej odpowiedzi, gdyż całkowicie sprzeczne co tu powiedzieć. 🤔

ozon02
10-05-2016, 08:17 PM
sorry for my English knowledge
In my Acura NSX 1996 40000 mil damaged clutch -while driving fast not during the switching gear.
searching for the cause - I found:
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/10-tips-on-buying-a-used-acura-nsx-since-you-cant-afford-the-new-one.html/?a=viewall

Pride
10-05-2016, 08:36 PM
Interesting read ozon02 but like almost every car ever made common faults can occur but in this article quite a lot of editorial sensationalism has been exaggerated to attract the reader.

In the 18 pleasurable years of NSX ownership only one of the problems of the 10 listed has happened and that's the ccu fault.

Personally I would take them with a pinch of salt.:)........Famous last words. ;)

Ciekawe odczytu ozon02 ale jak prawie każdy samochód w historii wspólne błędy mogą wystąpić, ale w tym artykule sporo sensacji wydawniczej został wyolbrzymiony, aby przyciągnąć czytelnika.

W ciągu 18 lat przyjemne własności NSX tylko jeden z problemów, z 10 wymienionych działo się i to z winy CCU.

Osobiście chciałbym wziąć je ze szczyptą soli ;)......... Słynne ostatnie słowa.:)

goldnsx
11-05-2016, 07:52 AM
Typical "Hey look! I've got ripped!"-video the guys on the other side of the pond are famous for. We all know that the NA2 clutch IS expensive esp. the flywheel, for whatever reason. What about a "How do I drive a MT-car?" :D

I'm at 70k miles on my clutch (ok, 91), 25k of them even boosted and not showing a single weakness. So it can't be the worst design.

ozon02
11-05-2016, 01:15 PM
I spoke today with Dirk from Germany - on the purchase of a new clutch.As a long-time vendor parts - was not surprised, rapid wear of the clutch. In his car, he exchanged 50 000 km.
Kaaz wrote : living in Japan repaired clutch every 40 000 -50 000 km (moving off with the handbrake)
Living in England 100 000 km
my clutch fault:
inability to shift gear after engine is running
when you release the clutch auto is not going

Pride
11-05-2016, 01:50 PM
This might cheer you up ozon02:

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/original-honda-nsx-ownership-costs-as-explained-by-a-supercar-collector-107361.html#

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Hi,
what is the average lifespan clutch for NA 1 (I know that this is dependent on several factors )
There is no easy way to answer your question…..
As you stated, it’s all depends on the driving environment, etc.

For example, when I used to drive in Japan with speed limit at about 30 – 38mph even on the A-road, has to be really careful driving through the residential area with ready to press on the brake, lots and lots of steep slope requiring parking brake before launch, etc, I used to replace the friction discs (mine is twin discs) every 25K - 30K miles with flywheel every 50K – 60K miles including my NSX.

With the same driving style but in UK, I can cover easily more than 60K miles or even 100K with other owners.

For me, the morning traffic jam on M25 is nothing compared to the ones in Japan. It still moves and it’s free. In Japan, you will stay at the same spot for easily more than 15min and you still have to pay for any motorways.

Speaking of CL with just the surface area size without knowing the material, pressure and friction coefficient, etc…..
Clearly, this person doesn’t know about the CL.
Imagine the size of some of the CL on race engines….. You can place the entire basket on your palm. It’s that tiny.

Friction disc on our NSX uses really high friction coefficient and this is the reason why it chews into the flywheel and thus, eventually, you will be forced to replace it.
On the other hand, on other production cars with similar power output as NSX, you can use the same flywheel for the life of the car…….

For the single disc CL, if you study the design of the flywheel and why Honda decided to use dual mass, you will understand why it’s so expensive. In fact, once you understand the design, to me, it’s very reasonable cost.
Still, I would consider switching to the twin disc CL by using the S-zero Main/input shaft.

Kaz

austrian type-r
12-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Hi guys!

First thing I have to say when I see the invoice from this guy: It is for a single disc LUK Clutch system which all the 6 speed NSX (not NSX-R) are using. This clutch is known for weakness and it is way more expensive then our old 2 disc systems. It is a 2mass flywheel and those are not that bullet prooved like normal flys. Flyweels can be damaged by hotting up the clutch too much, like on brake discs, they can deform when overheating...same with clutch components.

I can say this about the NA1 dual disc clutch, cause I have seen about 30 clutch from parted out NSX or NSX in service at my house:

You can install a complete clutch kit or just order 2 new friction discs. 2nd can be done, when the surface of the middle plate, the flywheel and the pressure plate are streight and smooth. It is like installing new brake pads on good and used discs. You would not install new brake pads on a disc with grooves and worn surface.

Sure, if you want not much down time, it is a risk just to order the 2 friction discs only, cause you will see what you need when the transmission is off from the block. For this reason I have always clutch kits and friction discs in stock and after inspectin the clutch I tell the customer if it is better to change the clutch, or to safe big money and install just 2 friction discs.

BTW: friction discs in EU and USA are not sold by Honda anymore. ...and you always have to order the throw out bearing extra, it is not included in the clutch kit.

When installing a new clutch or even just new discs it is important to initialize the clutch. If this is not done correctly one of the discs will wear quicker then the other. Very important is also the break in time. When you buy a car new you like to drive slower, the clutch, the engine, the tranny, the brakes, etc all is getting breaked in. Many people forget about to brake in the clutch. 1000km normal driving is recommended. The surface area of the friction pads and the matal of press plate, fly and mid plate have to adjust against each other. This is so important. If you overheat the clutch at the begin of its life span, it will last way way way less than it should.

I replaced my clutch at 75000km, it was the first one my car had. I did several 1/4 mile starts and one track day and I drive the NSX that way it was built for, I do not much cruising, I beat the hell out of it. There was some material left on the friction discs, but since the engine was out for big service, I replaced the discs. Now at 95000km with even more starts at 1/4 mile races the clutchdiscs are worn again. I feelt it this time, cause sometimes the 4th gear did not get out quick. I have now a Exedy dual carbon clutch installed with a moded engine.

Mentioned by some people here I have to agree, the oem NSX clutch with normal driving can last 150000km, but I would say thats the exception. 100000km +/- is the average.

thanks
Christian

Nick Graves
13-05-2016, 05:02 PM
I spoke today with Dirk from Germany - on the purchase of a new clutch.As a long-time vendor parts - was not surprised, rapid wear of the clutch. In his car, he exchanged 50 000 km.
Kaaz wrote : living in Japan repaired clutch every 40 000 -50 000 km (moving off with the handbrake)
Living in England 100 000 km
my clutch fault:
inability to shift gear after engine is running
when you release the clutch auto is not going

That sounds more like the hydraulic system than the clutch.

Have you tried bleeding in fresh fluid? Yours is probably black, not honey-coloured.

You may need a new slave and master cylinder - check for leaks.