PDA

View Full Version : Tyres for 16"/17" combo - thoughts on AD08s vs Bridgestone

havoc
18-04-2016, 06:19 PM
I've been running RE040 / RE050A combo on the car for most of the time I've had it, rears now need a change (11k miles and still 3mm+ - not bad).

Very little choice without changing size (reluctant to do either way for different reasons) or changing alloys (£££).

...so for those running AD08's (R or not), how have you found them?

Thanks,

Martin.

NSX 2000
19-04-2016, 09:24 AM
Hi Martin

I would recommend the AD08's had them on my BBS (17/18 inch) wheels and very happy. Will be getting a new set of AD08's for my original 17/17 inch wheels before we go on the Euro trip.

Hagasan
19-04-2016, 01:37 PM
I use the RE050A's on a Megane RS I have and they work quite well but this is a FWD running 19" wheels....

I've got the AD08's on the NSX. Just bought new rears. The Yokohama bod I spoke to said that the R's are just the same as the original 08's. Just re-naming apparently? If you can get them in the size you need then go for it. Stiffer sidewalls so good handling and fine in the wet too even if the tread pattern would suggest otherwise.

Bought both my Bridgestones and Yoko's in the last three months through Formula One Autocentres. Really good prices I thought. The 17" front and rear Yoko's were £142.51 & £172.70 respectively. The downside was that the muppets damaged the wheels for both the Renault & the Honda!! I've had eight wheels refurbed at their expense so I don't think there was in profit in my jobs for them?!?

havoc
19-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks both...looks like I may be changing 4 tyres not 2 then.

Will phone my local (reliable) fitter in the morning, see if they can get Yokos...failing that, a few more 'calls...

nobby
19-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Martin

Running Toyo (Japanese tyre) Proxes on the rear of my car to see how they go as we're recommended by a friend who does a lot of track/sprints etc
They we're doing promotion rates ... so might be worth checking out

So far they seem to be doing a job for me and grip etc is fine

Just an alternate for you to consider

NSXGB
20-04-2016, 05:56 AM
If you go for the AD08Rs, I got a good deal from Ears Motorsport.

Hagasan
20-04-2016, 06:29 AM
Just out of interest, those on the AD08"s on 17" front and rear (facelift wheels). What pressures do you run? I think the book pressure is for 32psi front and 40 psi rear which seems high, for the rear anyway?

Kaz-kzukNA1
20-04-2016, 09:24 AM
The OEM tyre pressure (33/40psi, 2.3/2.8kgf/cm2) is based on OEM chassis setup using the OEM tyre on OEM wheel.
Even after more than 20 years, I still haven’t met any aftermarket tyres on OEM wheels that can exceed the feed back/feeling of the OEM tyres.
You can still get them in Japan and probably in US.

You can achieve similar feeling by using aftermarket tyre with aftermarket wheel but you need to be very careful with the offset especially at the front.

I went through a few set of AD08 and will be replacing the rears again in near future.

I prefer bit lower tyre pressure than OEM setup with AD08 and depending on the condition, I lower it even further.
So, if you are using aftermarket tyre (very likely), wheel, chassis/suspension setup, etc or at the circuit on track day, you need to play a bit with the tyre pressure and find the pressure range that suits your taste/style.

Addition to AD08R, BS released RE-71R last year and some of my friends in Japan who used to run AD08/AD08R are trying it out.
Not sure what size will be available for UK market but that’s another tyre I want to try one day as I'm from the era of legendary RE-71.

Kaz

havoc
20-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Ordered a set of Yoko's today - hopefully with the fitters early next week.

Thanks again for the comments.

Kaz - with OE wheels would you suggest something like 31psi / 38psi then for the AD08R's?

NZNick
20-04-2016, 09:04 PM
In Japan, The RE-71R is available in original 16/17 combination sizes, as well as 02+ 17/17 sizes. I think that they have the 15/16 combo size too.

For 16/17 you want front # PSR07947 and rear # PSR07949

I am probably going to import these to NZ when my current RE-11s need to be replaced, as there is nothing in the correct size available for the fronts here.

It appears from the Bridgestone Japan website that the original spec. tyres can still be obtained for 16/17 & 17/17 - see http://tire.bridgestone.co.jp/search/for-hpc/potenza-turanza/index.html - near the bottom of the page.

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Ordered a set of Yoko's today - hopefully with the fitters early next week.

Thanks again for the comments.

Kaz - with OE wheels would you suggest something like 31psi / 38psi then for the AD08R's?
Hi, havoc.
I’m using Type-S suspension and used to raise the rear rideheight for it as it dropped too far to keep the rake that I prefer.
I don’t like the feeling of thick diameter anti-roll bar at the front like on NSX-R and I don’t have the skill any way to shift enough weight towards the front to benefit in using such thick anti-roll bar.
I don’t like the Type-R front and lower bars for street usage as well so please take these points into consideration as following info may not suit your setup/taste.

It could be misleading using the wording structure and compound like this but I don't know what the best way to explain the feeling I get through steering and the seat but to me, AD08 and AD08R feel as if it's generating the grip more from the structure than the compound alone. Old days BS tyres felt more from the compound alone than the structure.
The OEM tyre is definitely more towards the structure. I used to ask someone or even two person to help me when mounting it on the rim. It's that stiff. I no longer mount it by myself but it's so easy to mount AD08 on OEM wheels so it's no where near the stiffness of OEM BS 010 but still, the characteristic of AD08 and AD08R reminds me of OEM BS tyres.

During the cold winter period, I tend to be using around 31/38psi (F/R).

Around this time of the year, the temperature difference between day and night is quite big so I’m using around 30/37psi.

During the summer period, I’m usually around 30/36psi.

For the test session at the circuit or closed street course, I normally start at 29/29psi from the installation lap and keep adjusting it after each outings.

Kaz

Nick Graves
21-04-2016, 06:45 PM
I'm using AD08 (Rs rear) on the stock suspension & pressures.

I really like them!

You have to watch then when cold (BS S-01s on an S2000 anyone?) but once warm, they are incredible. Even in a downpour; the car just twitches/feels nervous when it's getting annoyed with you so carefully slow down!

Tyre life is short, which is a good sign.

austrian type-r
21-04-2016, 09:39 PM
My father run the Kumho KU36 in oem 16/17 tire size. It grips very good.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/images/tyres/kumho_ku36.JPG

havoc
27-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Just had them fitted.

- Look great
- Definitely sticky - driving out of the fitters, I could hear them picking up the aggregate chips and chucking them at the wheelarches. Spirited drives on UK roads could be accompanied by a rattling sound that will have nothing to do with build-quality!!! ;)
- ...so I believe you when you say "short life"

Full thoughts will need to wait until I've driven the car for more than a couple of miles...