PDA

View Full Version : An investment

marknsx
09-04-2016, 11:57 AM
Here we go on this thorny subject. I want to upgrade my investment by buying a lower mileage example of my wonderful 1991 NSX. Do I buy a low mileage AT (sub 35kmiles) or a higher mileage MT (70k miles). From a driving pov I want the manual. However it means a loan. Interest rates etc could make the MT not the right move. Has anyone an opinion on the likely movement of AT and MT prices. Also will my sub 35k car drive well! Decision time.

havoc
09-04-2016, 01:09 PM
My view is that NA1 prices won't increase much more - the market for "proper" premium classics has reached some silly heights and we're seeing a number of collectors 'rationalising' their collections. If that market dips, then it'll push down on everything below.

So on that basis I'd be sticking with a car I know well rather than an unknown machine with an unknown collection of issues to fix (potentially). I'd also stick with what I enjoy driving the best - NA1s are never going to be cars to make a proper profit out of, so you may as well enjoy the one you've got.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's my 2p...

DaveM
09-04-2016, 02:02 PM
I must agree with Havoc here, to add my own opinion and some facts.

The classic and collectors car market is now considered by many to have peaked. Major auctions houses are reporting sales drops of around 15-20% with only the very best of ultra rare low mileage examples of Ferrari and similar fetching record prices. Many cars especially Porsche and the 911's everyone considerded to be an investment in recent years are not reaching their reserves and asking prices by keen sellers have been lowered.

Onto the NSX and my opinion. There are a lot of cars currently for sale and have been for some time with ott asking prices, there have been many more added to the UK market by recent imports, especially autos. Supply likely outweighs demand in the majority of cases.

I see no further indicator of price increase infact I predict the opposite happening, it's a market that is overdue a price correction in my opinion and the signs of this are definitely showing.

Mark N
09-04-2016, 02:45 PM
When the new NSX eventually arrives on our shores their could be more interest in our cars from those who can not afford the new car , which could have a positive effect although this might only be short term ,especially if motor journalist keep making positive comments about the original having more soul. Just a thought. Personally I am not in it for the money I am more into owning a vehicle that is rare. just my 2p...

Regards
Mark

Crockefeller
09-04-2016, 04:20 PM
My view is that WITHIN the classic/collector market NSXs are still, on the whole, a little undervalued. That's not to say the overall market isn't overvalued though. Hard to tell.

The new model will certainly give some attention to the original cars and the comparison tests will highlight what a great car It still is. A couple of reviews have already done so.

If you want to own a "standard model" NSX with a chance to make some money, or lose as little as possible my view is that the best cars to own are low mileage, uncrashed, unmodified, UK, manual cars. Collectors like provenance and clean history and they also tend to prefer the purity of a manual in a "drivers car". That's not to say they're the best criteria for ownership but it's what investors want.

Looking at the classifieds not many cars fit that bill. Once you take out the imports, the autos and the dogs there's not really that much left.

havoc
09-04-2016, 07:08 PM
I also think that "sympathetic" modifications won't detract from the attractiveness, certainly of an NA1 which will find more driver-investor buyers than pure-investor buyers. These cars are 10-25 years old and OEM parts are in some cases made from unobtainium and in other cases just priced like they are.

C2NSX
09-04-2016, 07:09 PM
What would one say the value of an extermely clean 85k 1992 UK manual red/black NA-1 with full Honda history would fetch? See so many models priced all over the place hard to get a true value.

Pride
09-04-2016, 07:21 PM
What would one say the value of an extermely clean 85k 1992 UK manual red/black NA-1 with full Honda history would fetch?.

£100k upwards!!!😎

C2NSX
09-04-2016, 07:26 PM
£100k upwards!!!

Haha, bit cheap tbh

soddy
09-04-2016, 10:07 PM
it'd be nice to get an early 90's na1 nsx for £15-£20k again, as i'd be interested.
i understand the classic car values have peaked, but i agree the MT would be more appealing.

though i like to see people buy an nsx and drive it like it was meant for, not keep for making money.

Senninha
09-04-2016, 10:48 PM
What would one say the value of an extermely clean 85k 1992 UK manual red/black NA-1 with full Honda history would fetch? See so many models priced all over the place hard to get a true value.

Do you know the car? Do you know the owner? Is it clean coz someone paid for a good detailing or has been a genuine garage queen ... Mileage seems high for the latter (but not high for our NSX) .... What will you get that you done already have apart from different numbers on the dash?

just food for thought, rgds Paul

Crockefeller
10-04-2016, 07:20 AM

42k I'd guess

C2NSX
10-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Do you know the car? Do you know the owner? Is it clean coz someone paid for a good detailing or has been a genuine garage queen ... Mileage seems high for the latter (but not high for our NSX) .... What will you get that you done already have apart from different numbers on the dash?

just food for thought, rgds Paul

Just wondering not selling, but yer past owner had it for 16years friend of a friend, owner before that was a lady in london. Everything always done on it. Only done 500 miles a year in the past 16 years all the earlier miles were done by the lady owner. Its very clean like suprisingly clean no marks/dents and underside is still red and aluminium silver. So been well cared for just see so many ones for sale and prices are just all over the place hard to see where you stand.

C2NSX
10-04-2016, 08:15 PM
42k I'd guess

I was thinking around 38-40k mark

NSX 2000
11-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Just wondering not selling, but yer past owner had it for 16years friend of a friend, owner before that was a lady in london. Everything always done on it. Only done 500 miles a year in the past 16 years all the earlier miles were done by the lady owner. Its very clean like suprisingly clean no marks/dents and underside is still red and aluminium silver. So been well cared for just see so many ones for sale and prices are just all over the place hard to see where you stand.

I hope that lady owner wasn't T-PT

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-fast-women

marknsx
11-04-2016, 10:01 AM
Twitchy car the NSX. Clarkson talks bollocks!

dobbiej
11-04-2016, 07:03 PM
My pet theory is that in 10 / 20 years the early NA1 non-power steering manual will be the most sought after by collectors. Not now but in time. It's the original car, the lightest, the rawest, most simple concept. The E-type is a case in point (and this might not be the best analogy but whatever) - the early flat floor 3.8 was raw, seats not particularly comfortable, gearbox and brakes poor. The 4.2 S1 resolved most of these issues and for most of it's life the 3.8 was not the most desirable, but now I think values are the highest or thereabouts.

My money is on cars from the first year of production - 1991 model cars (a bit like a 1959 mini). And yes I got one. Not because I thought it was the best investment but because my neighbour had it since new. Just my 2p.

Crockefeller
11-04-2016, 07:17 PM
i think you're right they'll be the most desirable but will the production numbers for these early years counteract that?

Nick Graves
12-04-2016, 05:01 PM
it'd be nice to get an early 90's na1 nsx for £15-£20k again, as i'd be interested.
i understand the classic car values have peaked, but i agree the MT would be more appealing.

though i like to see people buy an nsx and drive it like it was meant for, not keep for making money.

When the currency finally collapses and the BoE gives your bank account a severe 'haircut' like they did in Greece, you might be able to do so. Oh, hang on...

soddy
12-04-2016, 07:13 PM
When the currency finally collapses and the BoE gives your bank account a severe 'haircut' like they did in Greece, you might be able to do so. Oh, hang on...

lol, near future then :)

marknsx
12-04-2016, 07:47 PM
interesting views. I'm in the for the long term as an investment. I'm inclined to agree with those who think the early models will prevail. OEM at the top. So my search for a lower mileage MT NSX to replace mine continues. The questions will be; what colour and more importantly will I be able to afford one? If not is an auto a good investment?

Pride
12-04-2016, 08:23 PM
When I first bought my NA1 way back in the nineties I did so without considering whether it would ever be an appreciating asset, I bought it to simply enjoy one of the purist forms of motoring experiences.
Over time I find myself starting to modify/adding kit which, admittedly takes away its origanlity but also gives me great pleasure in tinkering with it.
As and when I decide to part company with it in years to come I decided to keep all the origanol components and like to think that changing it back to oem would not be too expensive nor difficult, so in the mean time I'm just going to enjoy driving it and showing it off rather than wrapping up in cotton wool hoping one day it will be worth a small fortune.
For me life's to short for that, but each to their own I suppose, next exciting outing for me is a good old thrash around the famous Spa Franc-champ circuit on the European meet nest month.:)

soddy
12-04-2016, 10:44 PM
if you are fortunate to own an nsx, then it's best to drive and enjoy it.
enjoy the european meet and spa franc champ circuit. :)

marknsx
13-04-2016, 06:11 AM
It is the best thing I have ever done. As you know I love the car and will never wrap in cotton wool. I want to drive it. So a lower mileage version will have to be driveable. It's a case of its my ISA and needs to be nurtured.

Pride
17-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Would love one of these, just a shame it only comes as a left hooker:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/reviews/classics/second-coming-of-acuras-nsx-owes-much-to-the-original/article29616133/