PDA

View Full Version : website down

ctrlaltdelboy
20-06-2006, 09:16 AM
woo-hoo! we're back!!

so what was the problem then Kevin?

forumadmin
20-06-2006, 09:34 AM
The web site was shut down without warning due to the php processes running. Our little site is getting to busy.

It's not the space or bandwidth, but becuase the whole site is PHP based, it loads the server up too much. Now, this either because;

We are genuinely busy
There is a script error

or

Someone has linked this site to other forums, and we are getting loads of lurkers from other places.

I don't advertise this site. If I told everyone on Pistonheads about it, then it will cause us problems.

The way to fix it, is to upgrade the servers, but that means paying more. The money I get now covers our costs. If it went up to something that is going to cost hundreds possibly thousands a year to keep, then I will be forced to start membership fees.

I will make more annoucements on this matter soon.

ps, What a way to come from LeMans!

simonprelude
20-06-2006, 06:05 PM
In case you were unaware the front page still has the difficulties message on it.

forumadmin
20-06-2006, 06:09 PM
No I am not unaware that I left a message saying the site is unavailable. I'm going to leave it like that to keep the Subdreamer part of the site that does the home page offline, just leaving the forum running, for those that know how to get to it, or are exsting users.

Hopefully that will keep the traffic down, until I sort out a better solution.

simonprelude
20-06-2006, 08:50 PM
Thought it would have been intentional, have let a few regulars know it's back up who must access the forum via the homepage.

No I am not unaware that I left a message saying the site is unavailable. I'm going to leave it like that to keep the Subdreamer part of the site that does the home page offline, just leaving the forum running, for those that know how to get to it, or are exsting users.

Hopefully that will keep the traffic down, until I sort out a better solution.

DamianW
21-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Denial of service attack?

If its just normal traffic causing it then I don't know what to suggest, this site is the public face of NSXs in the UK, its bound to get a few hits.

Shame, it stopped me meeting up with another owner prior to Supercar Sunday, I forgot to write his number down :(

ctrlaltdelboy
21-06-2006, 08:41 PM
in case you are not aware, the club and it's main url (www.nsxcb.co.uk) are listed in July's Classic Cars Magazine (http://www.classiccarsmagazine.co.uk) out now (page 100)

the listing is in the 'Buy a Honda NSX' feature and reads:

NSX Club Britain (www.nsxcb.co.uk) - the UK's only dedicated NSX club. Web-based but holds regular meets including track day events.

also listed is the Honda Revs club

given the above, I think it would be best (if possible) to reinstate the main site asap?

EDIT: just seen that the main site is in fact live again - coolio ;)