PDA

View Full Version : Mtf flush/change

nobby
10-03-2016, 09:21 PM
Hi

just wondering how much fluid (Honda fluid will be purchased) is required to carry this out?

Also do I need to buy any other consumables?

Sudesh replaced the wee cover and bits a few years back and oil has been changed couple of times since that

Kaz-kzukNA1
10-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Hi, nobby.
If it was replaced many times over the last few years, not sure you need to do it again unless you went for the track day or you are preparing for it.
Normal street driving condition won't cook the MTF too much.

You need the MTF3, just about 3L.
Don’t buy the 3 x 1L bottle but instead, either bring your own container or ask your local Honda garage to fill up their empty engine oil container with 3L of MTF3 from their 25L MTF tank or big drum barrel.
Much cheaper than buying 3 x 1L bottle separately.

You will need the filler and drain bolt metal gasket as well.
The one at the drain bolt is the same one as the eng oil pan/sump plug.

If you are replacing the MTF, I always recommend inspecting the MTF strainer as well.
You may find metal powder or particles depending on the state of your Gbox.

You will need to get hold of the medium size o-ring at the starainer.

If this is your first time DIY, then you may want to get hold of spare strainer metal cover because you could easily damage it if the cover was seized inside the strainer hole.

Good luck.

Kaz

nobby
11-03-2016, 08:31 AM
hi Kaz

many thanks for the info.
was hoping to just get the fluids and not need to buy too many bits.
the prices defo add up on these so going to have to suss out relevant part numbers and go Stateside for em as the strainer alone is around 50 quid from HUK :(

andrew

goldnsx
11-03-2016, 09:31 AM
My observation with fluid from the dealer's drum barrel is that you get a lot of visible dirt and abrasive particels that you have to run through an coffee filter before you fill it in your expensive gearbox. I guess it's better from a 25l tank. Never had a problem with the 1 quarts of the US. EUR 10 shipped/taxed from the US to EUR 25-30 from the stealer here. :D

greenberet
11-03-2016, 10:48 AM
A friend of mine had the same experience with the transmission oil from his NSX-authorized Honda dealer's drum. After a transmission oil change, his NSX's differential made strange noises in tight turns and the problem turned out to be contaminated oil. After that experience, he only buys his MTF in 1 liter bottles to make sure it's clean. For reference, a 1 L bottle of MTF 3 currently costs EUR 16,23 including VAT at Austrian Honda dealers.

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-03-2016, 12:44 PM
Hi, Andrew.

No need to replace the strainer.
Unlike the eng oil filter, MTF one is a meshed metal filter so just clean and re-use it.
Big metal debris (I hope not…) will be trapped by the magnet at the bottom of the Gbox.

91307-PR8-005 x 1: O-ring
94109-14000 x 1: drain bolt metal washer, same as the one at oil pan/sump plug. If you do DIY eng oil change regularly, just get 10s of non-OEM one as a set. I order 200 at a time.
94109-20000 x 1: filler bolt metal washer.

These are much cheaper in Japan but from HUK, all three above will be just below GBP8 in total inc.VAT.

Using the meshed filter funnel will prevent any debris when transferring the oil from one container to the other. Always use it after receiving the MTF from my local Honda garage although never found any debris in there.
I don’t even trust the 4L or 5L eng oil container from the oil manufactures so always use filtered funnel for eng oil change as well. Important especially if working on someone's eng/gbox.

Kaz

goldnsx
11-03-2016, 12:45 PM
Some dealers out there act like 'your crash - my cash'. But there are also better ones.

I never had any debris in a 4 or 5l engine oil container. I use a white funnel and must have seen it.

L696ULO
11-03-2016, 12:50 PM
MTF3 3x1 litre bottles on Ebay for £31.00 plus £1.50 postage (assume that covers NI)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Honda-MTF3-Fluid-3x1L-/172059957558?hash=item280f929936:g:MO4AAOSwNSxVWvv o

goldnsx
11-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Not sure how many of these are copies of China...they copy everything. I get them at an official dealer.

nobby
11-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Kaz

thank you very much for clarification ... thats great!

I will get those bits ordered up and just purchase the mtf in 1 litre bottles

Hi, Andrew.

No need to replace the strainer.
Unlike the eng oil filter, MTF one is a meshed metal filter so just clean and re-use it.
Big metal debris (I hope not…) will be trapped by the magnet at the bottom of the Gbox.

91307-PR8-005 x 1: O-ring
94109-14000 x 1: drain bolt metal washer, same as the one at oil pan/sump plug. If you do DIY eng oil change regularly, just get 10s of non-OEM one as a set. I order 200 at a time.
94109-20000 x 1: filler bolt metal washer.

These are much cheaper in Japan but from HUK, all three above will be just below GBP8 in total inc.VAT.

Using the meshed filter funnel will prevent any debris when transferring the oil from one container to the other. Always use it after receiving the MTF from my local Honda garage although never found any debris in there.
I don’t even trust the 4L or 5L eng oil container from the oil manufactures so always use filtered funnel for eng oil change as well. Important especially if working on someone's eng/gbox.

Kaz

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-03-2016, 01:23 PM
By the way, I hate the smell of MTF3. Far better than the assembly lube that I use for eng assembly but still, it stinks.
Never get it even a single drip on your hair…..

Kaz

Nick Graves
11-03-2016, 04:21 PM
Or right up your arm, when the enema tube comes out of your Prelude's gearbox...

Actually, I detest the stink of Diseasel fuel worse. A bit of sulphur additives (I think) doesn't make it too bad. But different people have different sensitivities.