PDA

View Full Version : clueless Honda reps

jaytip
02-06-2004, 08:05 PM
just came back from the motor show and a good day i had. Though i was disappointed that you could not walk arond the HSC and have a look inside.the queue for the exotic stands to have a look up close just took to long to go down so i didn't get up close to many(except the NSX-R)and as for the porshe stand it was like waiting for a ride on the nemesis at alton towers it was so long.
anyway my main reason for posting,god the reps on the Honda stand havn't got a clue.i spoke to one rep and asked her a few questions about the NSX-R and the HSC and she just didn't know anything.i asked if the type-r is coming to the uk for definate and she said she didn't know,yet there are ads running for it in Autocar magazine almost weekly.i asked her what the engine size and output would likely be in the HSC, and she told me that it would be the same size engine as in the NSX.i then walked over to the HSC and read a little bit about it on the placard in front of the car and it stated that it would have a 3.5
BUT what really done my head in was when i was stood next to another rep(by the NSX-R) and i overheard her tell a gentleman that the 3.0l NSX does 0-60 in 7.5---yes thats right 7.5sec, the 3.2 does it in 5.8 sec and that the type-r does it in 4.4.i politely pointed out to her that the 3.0l is way faster than 7.5sec but she was adamant that she was right.i then told her that i own a 3.0l to which she shut up and had a face like thunder.
if Honda are going to put people on the stand next to these cars then they really should make sure that it is people who have intimate knowledge of these cars.if i was told by a Honda sales rep that the 3.0l NSX is only pulling 0-60 in 7.5 sec then i wouldn't have bought the car.i know that it is not all about 0-60,0-100 and so on,but i think we all bought our cars because of the performance that they have.
sorry i had to get that off my chest.

Kevin
02-06-2004, 08:54 PM
A current 3.0 NSX, does do 0-60 in 7.5, I'm sorry to say. That's because a current 3.0 has an auto gearbox.

I would, and I'm sure others would volunteer to man these stands for Honda, for a T-shirt or two!

I've had a similar experience with Honda people at the Goodwood Festival last year.

mcibuk
03-06-2004, 09:38 AM
There is much confusion about the 0-60 times ref 3.0L cars!
Anybody have an official line on what the 3.0L 5 speed manual is?

Kevin
03-06-2004, 04:14 PM
3.0l manual coupe, 0-60 is 5.5 secs. According to the specs, and confirmed by my own tests with Andrews A-22 (or whatever) G-Force meter.

Welshman
03-06-2004, 10:36 PM
Didn't see you there Ifor. I had a quiet day at work yesterday so snuck off to the Show. Apart from the HSC the only cars that caught my eye were some of the kit cars and the Ford GT40 new version.

UltraViolet
05-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I agree at the disappointing lack of knowledge by the Honda rep. I over heard her telling one potential customer the differences between the "Type R" and the standard 3.2 - she started off with "increased the power a little" .... I didn't correct her in front of someone, but later I gave her a few more facts. She looked as though I didn't know what I was on about so I informed her that I own an NSX - she asked whether the 3.2 or 3.0 - I replied the older 3.0 with pop-up lights, at which point she replied "Oh, that one has a lot less power though doesn't it" - I replied that the quoted power on the 3.0/3.2 and NSX-R were all up at or thereabouts the gentlemens agreement level and there was little between them on paper (though in reality the difference is greater) - and she pointed to her book she was clutching - I pointed out to her that the 3.0 was only available in Automatic guise and that the Auto had always been down on power and not to be confused with the 3.0 fixed head coupe manual car.

These are surely the very basics. I wouldn't expect her to be able to explain the exotic material usage, the developement of the engine used etc .......

As for her knowledge of the 'new' NSX - I hope she was wrong at the expected price...... original mutterings were to maintain at the same sort of price as the outgoing NSX (although this sounds optemistic if it reaches showrooms in current spec) but she quoted "About £90k" :shock:

As for the crowds - I thought it was the quietest motorshow I have ever been to - I got to see more cars, sit and twiddle etc than ever in previous years. Though I missed all the live shows :roll: and when I arrived at the CRV for my 4x4 experience - they told me I was too late as they had 3 more rides and then finishing for the day. :(

I thought the little 5 Exi kit car looked rather fun and agreed the GT40 was really nice. HSC - if in 5 years time you can pick up a used one for circa £40k .... I'll be holding a garage sale to raise the readies!!!

AR
07-06-2004, 08:02 PM
The SAD thing is that I find the same thing happening across ecvery industry I come along. Owning our own small firm I tell you that finding staff that can turn up for work and don't skive ( sp? ) too much is hard. Finding staff that actually care about their jobs and are loyal is like getting water out of a rock :evil: