PDA

View Full Version : Wanted:UK spec OEM radio head unit

Kye_P
01-03-2016, 11:21 PM
I am looking for a UK spec radio head unit for my car as it has the Japanese radio, have put one of these frequency converters on the car but it doesn't work well.

Please PM me if you have one for sale.

Thanks,Kye

austrian type-r
03-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Does the UK radio only go up to 89MHZ? If so I have one from an UK NSX AT 1993 first registry date. email me: office@atr-racing.com

Hagasan
03-03-2016, 10:48 AM
Does the UK radio only go up to 89MHZ? If so I have one from an UK NSX AT 1993 first registry date. email me: office@atr-racing.com

Don't have one in front of me but I think the UK is 88-108Mhz. We also have RDS which I don't think was used in Europe?

Kaz-kzukNA1
03-03-2016, 11:18 AM
Hi, Kye.

How did you check that your radio is not working well?
I have JDM NSX with frequency expander and despite the diversity system of the JDM head unit, mine is working fine with just one expander unit.

The key is not to disturb the shield of the aerial RF coax cable.
The head unit manufactured by Alpine on our NSX uses ‘case’ GND.
This means that the outer metal case is shorted to the PG (Power GND) of the internal circuit board and this is where the very end of the shield of coax cable is connected/GNDed to disperse the absorbed noise.

Most of the cheap frequency expander (including the one I use) only has single +12V power line coming out of the expander case and shares the PG through the coax shield.
Depending on the spec of your expander, if it uses metal case and the coax shield is also shorted there, then you could introduce GND loop if the metal case is touching the metal frame of NSX.
This is where the noise can enter the RF signal or simply, your expander is not upto the demanded level.

Bit off topic but another option is to use streaming service from many radio stations over the net.
Obviously, you need some sort of device with data allowance and integrate it into the OEM audio system.
I use USA Spec PA11-HON on the CD changer port so that I can connect my Android phone through AUX port with Bluetooth A2DP receiver.

If you have Apple device (iPhone, iPod, etc but not the iPad), you can connect it directly to the 30pin dongle (if using lightning connector, you will need Apple genuine adaptor and it will depend on the iOS version).

Some mobile phones also have built-in analogue radio feature so you can use it but your earphone cable acts as the aerial so may not ideal from the point of installation.

Good luck with the search but just wanted to share the above, in case there is nothing wrong with your head unit.

Kaz

Nick Graves
03-03-2016, 07:31 PM
I have a DAB converter (hidden in the glove box), which converts to FM and sends it up the Co-Ax. Which preserves the CD. Which would be good if the CD player didn't get all jumpy when it was warm.

Reception is pretty damned good, using a converter on the OEM bumper car pole.

Just another option, since internet radio can get a bit shonky round these parts generally.

Having said that, I'd probably go the PA11-HON route today. I keep thinking about that for the Regendo...

Kye_P
16-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Hi Kaz, thanks. Mine is also JDM with a frequency expander. I will have to check the wiring again to your point maybe something is wrong with the grounding as it only finds a couple of stations and when it does the quality is very poor - my radio worked fine in Japan so seems to be related to the expander.

the USA SPEC device, I used to have that on my NSX-T plugged into the CD cable behind the seat but on Type-R there is no cable so would that device work plugged straight into the back of the head unit ??

marknsx
04-04-2016, 06:35 PM
Kye
Lovely to meet you today. What is the price of the OEM head unit