PDA

View Full Version : EVO 24thFeb 2015 issue. BEWARE OF NSX V-Tec FAILURES 😱

Pride
11-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Sorry I meant to tittle date it 2015.

I never realised that the NSX VTEC system was prone to failure and as for the shock absorbers costing £1,000 each, it really makes me wonder where Jethro Bovingdon gets his information from.:(

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15358/best-cars-to-buy-for-35000-evo-garage

"They say the Honda NSX was the car that forced Ferrari to rethink the supercar. Why? Because it was incredibly reliable. Today, Honda’s well-built supercar has therefore stood the test of time well, but still be wary of cars that have lived hard lives.

Common issues for tracked cars often revolve around suspension wear, with replacement front uprights costing as much as £1000 each. Other things to look out for are failed VTEC variable-valve timing systems; you’ll know if they’ve failed, because the NSX’s strong top-end will feel rather gutless.
Other than that, £35k can buy you a very handsome Honda NSX indeed. And while we’d like to say we’re not concerned with re-sale values, a fast growing book value can’t hurt."

simonprelude
26-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Honda still state there have been no failures of the VTEC system (let alone in an NSX)

Sorry I meant to tittle date it 2015.

I never realised that the NSX VTEC system was prone to failure and as for the shock absorbers costing £1,000 each, it really makes me wonder where Jethro Bovingdon gets his information from.:(

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15358/best-cars-to-buy-for-35000-evo-garage

"They say the Honda NSX was the car that forced Ferrari to rethink the supercar. Why? Because it was incredibly reliable. Today, Honda’s well-built supercar has therefore stood the test of time well, but still be wary of cars that have lived hard lives.

Common issues for tracked cars often revolve around suspension wear, with replacement front uprights costing as much as £1000 each. Other things to look out for are failed VTEC variable-valve timing systems; you’ll know if they’ve failed, because the NSX’s strong top-end will feel rather gutless.
Other than that, £35k can buy you a very handsome Honda NSX indeed. And while we’d like to say we’re not concerned with re-sale values, a fast growing book value can’t hurt."

havoc
26-02-2016, 07:54 PM
And shy of oil-starvation I suspect they're right - it's a clever, robust system. There are other issues to consider, and for the NA1 we're effectively talking about a classic car now, so buyers SHOULD go in expecting to perform non-service maintenance. But VTEC?!?

I actually thought that guide was a crock of sh't...always thought the evo guides were a little better researched...

Nick Graves
27-02-2016, 02:28 PM
It's not a Porsche 911; must be a PoS...

It's not as if Evo could even pick on the NSX's few real weak areas.

I have no time for that rag and its very name insults a pleasant little Mitsubishi car.