PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust info request

exiges1
25-01-2016, 05:59 PM
I'm shortly going to get my new exhaust headers fitted (courtesy of SOS). In preparation I'm going to buy new exhaust header/manifold gaskets and a set of studs and nuts in anticipation of everything turning to cheese once a spanner is put on them. As far as I know the manifolds haven't been touched in 20+ years so expecting the worst (as usual!).

Now our friendly Honda parts peeps want the princely sum of £200 for the gaskets and a set of studs and nuts. Has anyone replaced their headers and if so where did you source the gaskets, studs and nuts from please? If you wouldn't mind including prices that would be very helpful.

I realise that on Prime people have re-used their existing gaskets but I'd rather replace the old stuff with new.

Cheers,
Tony.

Kaz-kzukNA1
25-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Hi, Tony.

If you are getting the header from SoS, why not ask them to supply the OEM gasket, etc as well?
[Edit: just re-read your post and sounded as if you already got the delivery from SoS..... I may be able to add these to my parts order to Japan unless you need them like next week.....]

Please first double check what is included in your aftermarket header.
Quite often, aftermarket header comes with the exh port gasket, etc as well but some of them are nowhere near to the OEM quality.

If going OEM, please use the NA2 spec exh port gasket even on the NA1 engine.
Exactly the same stud bolt position except the oval opening is slightly larger on the NA2 spec gasket that you will get tiny bit of extra flow without being affected by the gasket edge.

Please replace the stud bolt and the nut to NA2 spec as well, as long as your header flange thickness is not too thick. Should be fine for majority of aftermarket headers.
They have better treatment compared to the old early spec and last longer against the heat and rust.

18115-PBY-J02 x 2: exh port gasket, only about US$17 each
90217-657-000 x 14: 8mm nut, about US$2 each, much cheaper in Japan
90026-PV0-000 x 14: stud bolt, 8x33, about US$2 each, cheaper in Japan but not much

You are probably going to have big time removing the heat shield bolts......

Kaz

exiges1
25-01-2016, 07:20 PM
Cheers Kaz, have sent you an email.

duncan
25-01-2016, 09:30 PM
Amazing US price, if you need something now, aftermarket Exhaust Manifold Gaskets are/were available [2012], I bought a pair from Motex in Chelmsford at £19.31+VAT each, ref BGAMG3594.
I don't know whether they are NA1 or NA2.