PDA

View Full Version : Rotors and pads that will hold up for a trackday too

harkes
11-01-2016, 05:16 AM
So I am about to replace my rotors and pads. I want something that ideally will work on the streets and hold up for a full trackday also. Will EBC rotors do the job? For pads, how about Porterfield R4-S/Ferrodo D2500/Hawk HP+/EBC Yellowstuff/Mintex 1144? I posted about this on Facebook also but the discussion got a bit "emotional" and muddy :) - Thanks, Niels (PS: I know my way around a track and will explore the limits of the car the best I can. My car is otherwise stock with normal premium street tires)

rtbm
21-01-2016, 07:37 AM
So I am about to replace my rotors and pads. I want something that ideally will work on the streets and hold up for a full trackday also. Will EBC rotors do the job? For pads, how about Porterfield R4-S/Ferrodo D2500/Hawk HP+/EBC Yellowstuff/Mintex 1144? I posted about this on Facebook also but the discussion got a bit "emotional" and muddy :) - Thanks, Niels (PS: I know my way around a track and will explore the limits of the car the best I can. My car is otherwise stock with normal premium street tires)

Hi Niels

I use Detlef's (pro car) AP brake upgrade on my car (rotas+pads).......i swapped out "hi spec" four pots after the car wrapping disc on more than one track day and have never looked back.
Not cheap to do but.....do it right do it once.....!
rtb

nobby
21-01-2016, 09:23 AM
EBC have a varied reception on here. I have tracked my NSX a couple of times and will NEVER use EBC again in relation to their pads.

since then i have upgraded to grooved slotted rotors by Stoptech and use Carbon Lorraine RC+5 pads and carbotech xp8's on rear. great stopping power but the dust on xp8's are pretty bad. however in terms of stopping performance, the car is in a different league compared to once was.

check with dixel brakes on here, they have a range of stuff that are available for the NSX.

havoc
21-01-2016, 06:53 PM
Dixcel appears to one of the best bets with stock calipers, but they're not cheap.

I've got EBC blanks and red-stuff, and to be honest they're good for fast-road but you need to look after them on-track, certainly on faster tracks. When I buy again it'll probably be with a bigger budget and buy either Dixcel pads/discs, or Stoptech rotors with the least-dusty GOOD pads I can find.

Of your list I've experience on a DC2 (OK, different animal but peak speeds not that different) with
- DS2500 - great fast-road / semi-trackday - feel/bite/progression first rate, and at least as good as RedStuff on-track, but very dusty
- Mintex 1144 - even dustier than DS2500, probably more of a fast-road pad too. Second set I had delaminated from the backing so I've avoided since, but I may just have had a bad set.

Senninha
21-01-2016, 09:47 PM
EBC discs with red stuff pads ... Now running Bilsteins on lower perch but when I tracked the car it was on stock set up and good road tyres not super sticky tyres. In my opinion, the tyres will limit you more than the brakes, especially as you say you "know your way round a track". There's rarely a prize giving on track days so work on technique, smoothness and worry less about the late braking competition and enjoy a consistency many often fail to achieve on track days .. That's my 2 cents worth ... Look after you and the NSX

Taikyu
02-02-2016, 02:26 AM
The DIXCEL ES type are very affordable and will withstand light, track work. A set of front and rear pads is about £110

the Z type will take pretty much all you can throw at them, work from cold and behave in a civilized manner on the road with low noise and reasonably low dust. A set of front and rear is about £330

All pads can be found here - http://www.burnmotorsport.com/products-309/honda/nsx-na1-na2-573/product-type/brakes/brake-component-type/brake-pads.html

Rotors wise I have found that the PD and SD have been very popular for the NSX. The heat treated HD and HS are only taken by people looking to do more track driving.

The PD rotors start from £170 for front and £155 for rears.

All Rotors here http://www.burnmotorsport.com/products-309/honda/nsx-na1-na2-573/product-type/brakes/brake-component-type/discs-/-rotors.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

harkes
02-02-2016, 05:22 AM
Hi Nobby/Senninha. Anything bad to say about the EBC discs? The EBC blanks look like a really good deal if they can take the heat - literally speaking. I am planning on running Carbotech XP8 all around for the track and a stock-like pad for the street.

Senninha
02-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Hi, I've not had any issues but would strongly suggest putting them through a few good heat cycles before using them in anger on track. Rgds Senninha

Taikyu
02-02-2016, 09:16 AM
The xp8's are a good pad for track use. Interesting have a lower fade resistance than the DIXCEL Z types despite the Z types being a true street pad!

harkes
03-02-2016, 02:44 AM
The xp8's are a good pad for track use. Interesting have a lower fade resistance than the DIXCEL Z types despite the Z types being a true street pad!
I had a really good talk with Ian from Carbotech about these pads, and while you can use them on the road he does not recommend it. I will most likely go with Redstuff for daily driving and then only use the Carbotechs for the track. I am testing the Redstuff on my M135i now and have a track day coming up - will see how they handle that :)

harkes
03-02-2016, 02:48 AM
Hi, I've not had any issues but would strongly suggest putting them through a few good heat cycles before using them in anger on track. Rgds Senninha
I found the EBC Ultimax at Demon Tweeks - I trust they are a slight upgrade from the blanks. Pad wear will probably be slightly more but I am only driving ~3000km/year so that's ok.

NSXGB
03-02-2016, 08:57 AM
I found the EBC Ultimax at Demon Tweeks - I trust they are a slight upgrade from the blanks. Pad wear will probably be slightly more but I am only driving ~3000km/year so that's ok.

The EBC Ultimax pads were previously called 'Black Stuff', I used these on my Fiesta ST, you are correct - a slight upgrade to OE. No squeal or excessive brake dust.

nobby
03-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Hi

Just saw you post ...
ebc will be ok for general use but don't use on track ... Ever! However after my experiences with them doubt I would ever buy again for road use. They never got much abuse from me and I was horrified at the state of them ... They effectively disintegrated. Other pads out there do a better job. May cost a bit more but you get what you pay for.

i too spoke to Ian re carbotech and he recommended me the xp8's for my driving and odd track day but said dust was problematic ...that's an understatement they are shocking! However in terms of braking you cannot fault them.

Taikyu
03-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Hi

Just saw you post ...
ebc will be ok for general use but don't use on track ... Ever! However after my experiences with them doubt I would ever buy again for road use. They never got much abuse from me and I was horrified at the state of them ... They effectively disintegrated. Other pads out there do a better job. May cost a bit more but you get what you pay for.

i too spoke to Ian re carbotech and he recommended me the xp8's for my driving and odd track day but said dust was problematic ...that's an understatement they are shocking! However in terms of braking you cannot fault them.

Pretty standard feedback from EBC users.

You wont get these issues with ES or Z type. Both are proper street pads and will work from cold. Have low noise and good durability. The ES has its limits, however they are far beyond red stuff, yellow stuff and DS2500 comparisons. If you are finding the limit of the ES then there are always the Z type that even the Michael Schumacher's amongst you will struggle to exceed!

havoc
03-02-2016, 09:47 PM
The EBC feedback above seems to relate to their old compounds - from research I did they have changed/improved in the last few years, so I'd treat those stories with a pinch of salt now.

I'm running RedStuff with IIRC Brembo blanks, and for road use they're actually pretty good, and genuinely are low-dust, but for track use they leave deposits on the disk fairly quickly, which hampers confidence. They weren't really up to an attack of Spa (OK, heavy braking circuit), certainly not for much more than 1 full lap...found myself lifting/coasting at a couple of points.

For the money they've been fine, but when the time comes to replace them I'll definitely spend more money...probably Dixcel as above.

nobby
04-02-2016, 10:35 AM
Hi Martin
i read the same stuff re old materials but my last set was a reasonably new set and I was really surprised at the outcome.
Ebc are just an OK pad and dead on for casual driving but not a performance pad IMHO.

@Burn will contact you in due course re your recommended 'everyday' pad for the NSX. I would like to remove the xp8's for this season coming in and keep them for any fast driving events if I am lucky to be part off. Also save the hassle of cleaning up after the brutes!