PDA

View Full Version : Winscreen help please

Lankstarr
07-06-2006, 08:45 AM
Autoglass are trying to get a new screen for my '98 but local Honda garage say that the only one they do now is green screen with no top tint. Only other option was blue screen with blue top tint which is what is on there and what I want but they can't find one anywhere.

Does anyone know if this blue screen has been superceded by the green?

The part number Autoglass had for the blue blue just comes up aas a green screen when Honda put it into there system.

Need to get this ordered asap so your help / knowledge would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Luke

TheQuietOne
07-06-2006, 09:15 AM
Try PMing Ritchie / Sportyking as he had one sorted recently....

sportyking
07-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Autoglass are spinning you a line.. At a guess, probably to save money.

National Windscreens sourced mine (with correct top tint) directly from Honda and had it within two days.

There maybe a problem with stock as Honda don't keep a stockpile in the UK but re-order as they are used.
As I understood it, Honda are the only supplier of this screen so it may be worth speaking to them direct to get the full story.

The screen and fitting came to £1100 :shock:, and if I remember correctly the screen was a little over half that and comes with some new trim. Obviously an Insurance job.

Ritchie

Lankstarr
07-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi Ritchie,

Just spoke direct with Honda and they are saying that there is now only one type... rthe green one - I have a guy researching why there were originally a green and a blue one but he seems to think that the 'green' may actually have the correct tint and be more of a blue colour anyway!!

Autoglass have tried getting one direct from Honda and are being told the same story - apparently i has to come from Japan and could take 6 weeks!!!

I don't want it to turn up and look 'wrong' - when you got yours was there a choice of screens or did you just get what your chassis number brought up?

Thanks for your help

Luke

sportyking
07-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Replacement was ordered off my registration plate.

No hint of green in my window (through my eyes anyway), and as it's a blue car I am happy about that.

Lankstarr
07-06-2006, 10:05 AM
Sweet - that's what i wanted to know. Just checked with NW and the screen you had fitted to yours is the one and only screen available ... which just happens to be listed as green on the system.

No hint of green makes me happy - presumable the guys listing the part must be colour blind.

thanks for all your help - I hope this thread puts anyone elses minds to rest when theya re being told they are about to have a green screen fitted!!!

Minch
07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
Do you mind me asking how much they are intending to charge you for the windscreen? I've got quite a few small chips in my screen and I don't think its long before it goes.

Also does anyone know how much the large glass engine cover/rear screen costs?

TheQuietOne
07-06-2006, 10:45 AM
Well finally we have some real 'supercar' drama to worry about with these cars - I'm glad it's not all plain sailing :wink:

Luke you'll need to go part time soon if you keep spending all day on the phone to Honda - either that or get a job there!

TheQuietOne
07-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Do you mind me asking how much they are intending to charge you for the windscreen? I've got quite a few small chips in my screen and I don't think its long before it goes.

Also does anyone know how much the large glass engine cover/rear screen costs?

Will just be the insurance glass excess of about £50 I would think.

There is a rear hatch on Ebay at the moment - it was at £50 yesterday - Luke posted a link to the auction yesterday if you have a look through his recent posts (Lankstarr).

Cheers, M@

Minch
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks Matt

Lankstarr
07-06-2006, 11:22 AM
If you were to bypass ins co (not that you would as it doesn't affect your no claims!) - the screen + seals would cost you £710 plus fitting... bag'a'sand all in.

I will hopefull get one mid June - if it's damaged I wait till mid August when 5 more arrive. If you get a crack and know it will be ins job then order sooner rather than later as they'll prob come from Japan and may take a while if Honda UK / Belgium have no stock.

Minch
07-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Nice one. Might have to thin about that soon then.

Cheers
Nathan

kowalski
08-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Getting my stone chips removed on tuesday by RAC through the insurance.

No excess charge to pay for up to 3 chips done, as long as there less than the size of a pound coin, or less than a 5p piece if in the drivers line of sight.

Good precaution if you have stonechips in the screen, they will go eventually

leigh

TheQuietOne
08-06-2006, 11:16 AM
How big's a 'pond coin'? I've got some pond lillies, but haven't niticed any coins in there? Is this another thing I'm missing out on :cry:

kowalski
08-06-2006, 02:39 PM
Well spotted, pond coins are very rare so dont look too hard!

That'll teach me to reed what i typre four corract spolling! :lol:

leigh