PDA

View Full Version : Dunkerque to Tuscany

marknsx
28-12-2015, 09:43 PM
I aim to travel from Dunkerque to Tuscany in mid June 2016. I need to be in Tuscany for the 17th. My intention is to use my NSX.
Is there anyone with an idea of a good route for this trip. Cost is a factor, so inexpensive overnights will be uppermost. Maybe 4 nights in total (there and back). MPG, is 20 realistic in my NA1?
The advice on the net is a little out of date (2011).

Pride
28-12-2015, 10:21 PM
You should easily achieve 30+mpg and that's on a good spirited drive.

I think you will be very impressed with it's economy.:)

marknsx
28-12-2015, 10:40 PM
excellent news

Senninha
29-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Tuscany ... lovely ...

Fast route (high toll count) south the Lyons then east to Bologna then south to Tuscany - but return via coastal road and drive Monaco

Preferred route - cross country and down through Swiss tunnels popping out for Northern Italy and down into Tuscany

Dont forget to research toll road charges, permit costs and fuel variance for costs .... BnB's generally good value

regards, Paul

marknsx
29-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks Paul
I have a desire to avoid tolls. maybe Brussels, Luxembourg, Metz, Nancy, Dijon, Bourg-en-Bresse, just missing Geneva (Fr), the Mont Blanc Tunnel, Aosta, Alessandria, Genova, just before Livorno cross to Florence, -

Senninha
29-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Thanks Paul
I have a desire to avoid tolls. maybe Brussels, Luxembourg, Metz, Nancy, Dijon, Bourg-en-Bresse, just missing Geneva (Fr), the Mont Blanc Tunnel, Aosta, Alessandria, Genova, just before Livorno cross to Florence, -

Thats a great route!! Watch speed limits in Switzerland

AR
29-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Good luck on your trip, but as Paul mention don't forget to factor in the Swiss Vignette and the speed traps!!!

marknsx
30-12-2015, 03:23 PM
I believe that at 175 mph plus the cameras won't detect me, lol

robho
31-12-2015, 09:37 AM
I believe that at 175 mph plus the cameras won't detect me, lol

Mark, I've made this trip many times if you'd like some options to consider, please PM me your email address, Rob

marknsx
31-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Thanks rob

NSX 2000
31-12-2015, 05:39 PM
We drove to Rome in the Summer this year (in the family motor) and my advice would be avoid the Mont Blanc Tunnel like the plague! I planned our route so we stayed a 30 minute drive from the Tunnel entrance on a Friday night as Saturday and Sundays are supposed to be quiter. On the Friday night the over head signs were saying 2-3 hour wait! So I gave myself a pat on the back, but on Saturday with the Tunnnel 1 Km away we hit the queue, 90 minutes later we started our journey through the tunnel at a 30Kmh max speed! It would of been quicker to drive over the moutain!

Also to note Italy tolls are expensive.

NSX100
05-01-2016, 04:14 PM
We drove to Rome in the Summer this year (in the family motor) and my advice would be avoid the Mont Blanc Tunnel like the plague! I planned our route so we stayed a 30 minute drive from the Tunnel entrance on a Friday night as Saturday and Sundays are supposed to be quiter. On the Friday night the over head signs were saying 2-3 hour wait! So I gave myself a pat on the back, but on Saturday with the Tunnnel 1 Km away we hit the queue, 90 minutes later we started our journey through the tunnel at a 30Kmh max speed! It would of been quicker to drive over the moutain!

Also to note Italy tolls are expensive.

Having lived in France with my NSX for 3 years I fully agree about the Mont Blanc tunnel - and if in an NSX why use it anyway? The French autoroutes are superb for getting from A to B fast but the tolls add up. On the other hand be very wary of the ferocious speed traps on the N roads - fixed cameras are not a problem since they will not come after a UK-registered car but mobiles are another matter. On-the-spot fines and if you do not have the cash you will be lifted. Be especially wary in villages where the local flic are after anyone doing 1kph over the limit. You may know this but if not, the speed limit in villages is 50kph but it is often not marked. Officially it starts at the road sign identifying the village and finishes at the other side where the village name sign has a diagonal red line through it. It is common for the flic to have a trap set for just inside the village namesign to get you as you are slowing down. Also, if you are caught after a "Rappel" sign ie "Reminder", the fine is doubled.

Oh, and one other thing! I've been pulled over several times just so that the flic could admire my car.

Bonne route!

marknsx
05-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Great thread folks.
Lets turn this on its head. Where can I speed?

Pride
05-01-2016, 06:51 PM
Hi marknsx, well done for now being a platinum member but is it correct that you're also a NSXCB vendor as well or is this tittle something new to all of us as I haven't heard of this???

NSXGB
05-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Anyone can become a vendor, I'm guessing Mark has accidentally subscribed to both options. Those that hold the purse strings can probably refund the vendor donation if it was not intensional...