PDA

View Full Version : merry OHLINS guys! nsx with ohlins suspension..

marco1985
26-12-2015, 07:30 PM
HI guys, my name is Marco, i have a workshop in italy, called M2Kengineering.
I and my buisness partner, have founded M2Kengineering some year ago, after many years of experience in honda car.
I'm a nsx owner from 3 years, and after a lot of years of s2000 , i'm decided to buy the honda king, the nsx, to spend a lot of time in reserch, to improve my nsx, and offer a GOOD quality point where nsx owner can bring their nsx with confidence, for manteniance, or mods.

by some months, i'm decided to improve a suspension.
when I have the s2000, I tried ALL the suspension brand, kw, bilstein, koni, d2,bc racing, tein and other , but ONLY one offer to me a real difference , is OHLINS DFV.
OHLINS DFV is a great suspension , perhaps is the only suspension that offer a good safe drive in the street , and a good response in the track.

Starting from this consideration i think in my mind that in the world, there are few good suspension at resonable price for the nsx: KW v3 made exclusive for the nsx, bilstein with a stock spring, or tein. alternatively, stock NA2 TYPE R suspension, offer a great set up ever made by honda for the nsx, but not a good price.

so, i'm decided to made a definitive hi-level suspension for the nsx, starting to a new technology DVF by ohlins, combined with the OEM honda NA2 type r spec, to made a good street/track suspension for the nsx.

probably in other 2 weeks, we will finish the development of the first ohlins dfv kit for the nsx by M2K engineering
the firts kit, will be mounted in my nsx :D
i'm excited for this!
at the right moment, i take some pic for you!

merry christmas guys!

Pride
27-12-2015, 05:19 PM
Hi Marco, as you've gone to such lengths in your research to find what you believe to be the best of both road and track coilovers for the NSX I wondered if you could post some costings of both product and install/setup.

Presumably we would need to drive to Italy to have this work done by you so also how long would you need to complete full install and setup.

Wishing you a prosperous new year.

Best regards,
Clive.

marco1985
27-12-2015, 06:14 PM
of course clive!
I think that the definitive DFV ohlins kit can have the similar price of the KW v3 kit, but i think that this kit has many points in its favor compared to a kw...
OUR ohlins kit certainly have 10kg/mm 8 kg/mm,spring rate, the same spec of NA2 TR oem springs.
still another few weeks and i have in my hand definitive kit/install costs.
I'll keep the post updated!
if someone is curious, can check our FB page M2Kengineering for other honda job ;)

goldnsx
27-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Interesting approach.

The KW raised the bar very high for aftermarket suspensions on the NSX. So just using a well respected brand name won't beat the KWs IMHO. For example Koni is also well respected but kinda suck on the NSX with their valving (too harsh).

Are you going to make a susension for the street or the track?

The KW offers a lot the features but its main advantage is the very harmonic spring/shock combo/valving hard to beat by another suspension. It has some small disadvantages though:
- installation of them sucks being 'too long'
- rattling of the helper spring

What about adjustability? Who does and tests the basic setup? Higher spring rates are not always better. 8 and 6 kg/mm would do also.

If you want higher production no. you might involve the US market.

Good luck!

bbvnsx
27-12-2015, 10:33 PM
It is with please that i see other vendors offering new products for our loved NSX! especially from someone in Europe!

I hope you can offer something really nice! OHLINS is a very respected brand IMHO! So i wish you all the luck with your new product!

Since you have an NSX i Hope you can think out of the box and offer more new products!!!

I have KW V3 installed on my NSX! Love them! but it is very nice to have other options!!!

Thanks, all the best

Bruno

Nick Graves
28-12-2015, 01:14 PM
Interesting approach.

The KW raised the bar very high for aftermarket suspensions on the NSX. So just using a well respected brand name won't beat the KWs IMHO. For example Koni is also well respected but kinda suck on the NSX with their valving (too harsh).

Are you going to make a susension for the street or the track?

The KW offers a lot the features but its main advantage is the very harmonic spring/shock combo/valving hard to beat by another suspension. It has some small disadvantages though:
- installation of them sucks being 'too long'
- rattling of the helper spring

What about adjustability? Who does and tests the basic setup? Higher spring rates are not always better. 8 and 6 kg/mm would do also.

If you want higher production no. you might involve the US market.

Good luck!

Indeed - Type R front springs are judged by some as far too harsh for out terrible UK roads.

goldnsx
28-12-2015, 05:29 PM
8 and 6 kg/mm is from NSX-R Gen. 1, KW goes with 6 and 6 kg/mm, a very good compromise.

As far as I understand the NSX-R suspension is the starting point. I don't know if it's a good starting point for 'normal' NSXs as the NSX-R is lighter. What do the techs at Öhlins say? They could offer very important input. They sell a suspension for the S2000 and CTR but you don't read very much about it in the forums. Too sad, it seems not very widespread.

If DFV is more than a marketing gag and would be a significant improvement in driving comfort while still being stiff enough then it would be superior to a NSX-R suspension. Stiff suspensions are made quite easy, see TEIN: at the softest setting SADO and some clicks harder also MASO. :) I'm pretty sure the Öhlins guys are capable of building a super suspension but I would them let the homework.

Good luck!

marco1985
12-01-2016, 10:22 PM
hello guys! there are some news.
yesterday, we have testing ohlins DFV suspension on the suspension bench, to see a difference between FRONT and REAR coilover.

we have notice that the rear nsx suspension have a loger stroke than the front, exactly the opposite of s2000.
this is a good find, but I don't say you why for now... :P

to aswer @goldnsx

yes, the kw suspension offers an harmonic spring/shock combo/valving , but i assure you that the dfv system by ohlins work GOOD with the high spring rate , and work an harmonic combo as kw without the noise or rattling as kw do..

we are going to make a definitive nsx suspension for the streets, that work fine in the track, but not RACE suspension.
ideally, the same thing that honda do in your NSX-r suspension.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2mesfme.jpg

hey guys, i try to write in english without the google translate help, this is why i need to perfection my english. if there are some error ....ehm sorry :D

goldnsx
12-01-2016, 10:45 PM
Nice to see some progress. Indeed, the S2000 has a stunning setup from the factory. Please take into account that the weights of the two cars are similar BUT the weight distribution is NOT. That makes choosing the spring rate and the valving a little bit more complicated or very critical, esp. on the front. Too bad the Ohlins are not very widespread in the S2000 world.

goldnsx
12-01-2016, 10:51 PM
Also: please reduce the stock stoke or the overall length of the strut by around 25 mm because the OEM ones are a nightmare (long) to install.

marco1985
12-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Nice to see some progress. Indeed, the S2000 has a stunning setup from the factory. Please take into account that the weights of the two cars are similar BUT the weight distribution is NOT. That makes choosing the spring rate and the valving a little bit more complicated or very critical, esp. on the front. Too bad the Ohlins are not very widespread in the S2000 world.

yes gold, exactly!, the point of interest of the entire work is here. the weight distribution on nsx...
the s2000 is 50-50 , the nsx is 40-60. for this reason we tested ohlins coilover to starting a nice valve work.

at the same time, we are creating a CAD draw for a new top mounts(that use a ohlins pillowball) and new lower mounting bracket .

goldnsx
13-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Just wondering: were you also involved in the Ohlins S2000 suspension kit?

marco1985
13-01-2016, 01:02 PM
no goldnsx, but i bought the first dfv kit in italy. after my purchase , i have spent a lot of time in development ... now a lot of peaople in italy have buy DFV kit for the s2000.(i think 20-25 kit) we have installed many other kit @ our customers!

marco1985
18-01-2016, 08:44 PM
news:development continued

lower cnc machined strut mount are ready to be welded...
and the honda oem bushing to place in the hole are on my way...

http://i64.tinypic.com/xbaeyf.jpg

cadrega
25-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Figata! Subrscribing to the thread! :D

marco1985
26-01-2016, 09:53 PM
anodized top mount with ohlins pillowball are ready to install...... and the lower mount are welded. valving set up is ready. i hope to share some pic tomorrow.
i think that this is the most amazing upgrade in my nsx .

marco1985
27-01-2016, 01:09 PM
this is the top mount: on the left the new M2Kengineering custom top mount with ohlins pillow and anti-noise rubber for the springs.
http://i64.tinypic.com/2cwlwme.jpg
http://i68.tinypic.com/rstqhe.jpg

marco1985
29-01-2016, 01:28 PM
lower mount are welved.need to be painted. silent block are here, valving work on ohlins coilover is ok.
i hope to share new pic tomorrow , of the complete kit assembled.
and if all ok... i hope to install the brand new customized M2Kengineering kit on my nsx finally.

marco1985
31-01-2016, 04:36 PM
enjoy for my EYES guys :D

lower strut mount are high heat coating and the bush are in place...

1 front and 1 rear coilover are ready to install!!!

http://i66.tinypic.com/2iuf0c5.jpg

goldnsx
01-02-2016, 12:37 PM
Looks good although I'd hesitate to mount yellow struts on my red car. Öhlins took some time to recognise the wishes of the Harley Davidson motorbike guys and finally released a black edition.
I'm looking forward on your first drive.

marco1985
05-02-2016, 08:36 PM
YEAH!!! tomorrow is a great day for me in my workshop :D :D

marco1985
06-02-2016, 03:10 PM
front and rear wiew:
http://i64.tinypic.com/2ciaedh.jpg

my first drive: i think that this coilover is more confortable than bilstein with oem springs!!!!!!!! i drive for a few kmtrs to my home... and the this coilover works great than i expect.... i need to do some hard drive test now!!!

marco1985
13-02-2016, 05:32 PM
alignment time:
http://i65.tinypic.com/b3x8g0.jpg

marco1985
13-02-2016, 05:39 PM
and now i can do a proper review:

The first test took place on rough roads : I could not ask anything better , the car does not suffer " shots " or " noise " and this thanks to the valving system of ohlins dampers .It maintains a good softness and this is crucial , because the NSX is a car to be preserved , and no one wants their nsx that after years of a shock too " hard " starts making noises everywhere. It maintains a good softness and this is crucial , because the NSX is a car to be preserved , and no one wants their nsx that after years of a shock too " hard " starts making noises everywhere.

the second part of the test was about the hardest driving : the shock absorbers work with a incredible grace ever seen, and the car slides on the rear as it should do , but always keeping a good grip even when during fast corners the car meets the road a little bit bad . the feeling you have , it is quite similar to the one I had with these suspensions on s2000 : it seems that the wheels caress the road .I agree, and I think this is the best sport suspension that now avaiable for use in the street ,and hard drive, such as track , which now exists in the world for nsx.

goldnsx
13-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Interesting. As they are adjustable: what settings did you use, hard or soft? How does it compare to the stock suspension?

marco1985
14-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Oh yes , I have tried the suspension only for road setting and the valving almost completely soft .The great thing is that unlike other adjustable shock absorbers , when ohlins although is set to " soft " does not floated effect on the car! It maintains a composed and precise movement . I was lucky enough to try an original of nsx a our customerthat have only 30k km : seems to be only a little softer in the road compared to this new type of suspension , but remember that he still had the original rims 15 and 16, while I I set up 17-18 on my nsx.

regard of the ride height set up, is completely adjustable, so i decided to mantain a low ride height on my car.

in this days, we are seriously thinking to starts a production of this great suspension kit.

marco1985
14-02-2016, 09:39 AM
front and rear top mount looks great on the car: seems to be stock :D
http://i66.tinypic.com/2rrvx1c.jpg

goldnsx
14-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Take your time, there's no need to hurry. Evaluating a new spring/shock combo needs extensive testing.
It would be more comfortable to adjust the shocks if the screw would be 'hex-like'. Adjusting the front now is PITA.

If you're going to production is there a TüV report or any certificate from Öhlins available?

goldnsx
14-02-2016, 08:30 PM
I saw in an interview at SEMA 2012 with an Öhlins representative (YouTube: around 9:50) that the evaluation of a new suspension takes 6 months at least before they release it with an Öhlins label. So you have still plenty of time to test and track. :)

Apogee
24-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Marco,
Please do keep us informed and updated on this matter!
I am seriously interested in installing these Ohlins on my -91.
If the Ohlin guys need another NSX to use as a guinea pig, please let me know :rolleyes:
I'm just a few hours drive away from their development headquarters...

marco1985
02-03-2016, 09:32 AM
hi apogee! thanks for interesting!this kit was development by us, i have a company, M2Kengineering, and it is here in rome! you don't get this product direct from ohlins ;)

in this week, I tested this new suspension in different roads, and i also tried to go faster in highway to test car response at the high speed... this new coilovers works great and my car is more stable.. 265 km/h for precision.

nobby
12-02-2018, 12:28 PM
any update on this?

NSXGB
12-02-2018, 08:50 PM
any update on this?

I'm pretty sure I saw that he was organising a group buy for them on FB.

goldnsx
13-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Also here: http://www.nsxclubeurope.com/forums/index.php?/topic/765-ohlins-dfv-kit-by-m2kengineering/

nigel
16-02-2018, 04:55 PM
Been trying to join NSXCE and it won't let me.
Any ideas?

Cheers
nigel

goldnsx
16-02-2018, 05:39 PM
That forum is nearly dead I'm afraid to say...

NSXGB
16-02-2018, 09:06 PM
Been trying to join NSXCE and it won't let me.
Any ideas?

Cheers
nigel
PM Dimer on here, he may just need to approve your registration.

goldnsx
21-07-2018, 03:46 PM
Any updates?