PDA

View Full Version : NSX Newbie - quick question re, tyres...

Hunter
13-12-2015, 09:49 AM
Hi all,
Just about to become part of the NSX family by purchasing my first one next week. Pick it up on Wednesday, can't wait... Merry Christmas! :D
I run a BMW M4 as a daily driver, that has run flats. I was wondering if anyone runs run flats on their NSX?
The original space saver is under the hood & I'm not sure I fancy the idea of running 23 year old rubber in the event of picking up a puncture.
Cheers,
Andy

AR
13-12-2015, 10:29 AM
can of fix a flat and roadside assistance membership.

Hunter
13-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Good plan!

Nick Graves
13-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Congratulations and stop being so bloody pessimistic!

The idea of putting heavy, thumpy run flats on a car where unsprung mass is best not added is just wrong. Get a tube of squirty foam if you're that worried. Though last bad puncture was 15 years ago and was a lump of tree, so the tyre was wrecked anyway.

Last month's on the Leg End was a nail, so slow pressure loss. Again, irrepairable...

Hunter
13-12-2015, 11:06 AM
Yeah I kinda figured as much after I'd written the original post.
Run flats on one of the sweetest handling chassis probably not the best move I could make...
Gel it is.

L696ULO
13-12-2015, 02:40 PM
Also if you are worried about the age of the rubber on the spare some NSX owners have adapted a Merc SL or might be SLK spare
i can't find the forum thread right now but if I do I will post.
and welcome to the NSX world

regards Rich

L696ULO
13-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Here you go, scroll through the thread and there are another couple of useful links

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?12377-Spare-wheel-amp-tyre-refurb-New-Owner

Hagasan
13-12-2015, 03:16 PM
I think wheels that accept run-flats have a slightly different lip anyway. I don't think it's as simple as just putting run-flats on any wheel? I wouldn't do it anyway. It's seems that anyone with the remotest interest in "driving" criticises them anyway for lack of feel and performance..

Enjoy your new Xmas present!!

Nick Graves
13-12-2015, 07:51 PM
Don't use too much gel - your hair will stick to the low headlining and make a mess.

Problem Child
13-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Hi all,
Just about to become part of the NSX family by purchasing my first one next week. Pick it up on Wednesday, can't wait... Merry Christmas! :D
I run a BMW M4 as a daily driver, that has run flats. I was wondering if anyone runs run flats on their NSX?
The original space saver is under the hood & I'm not sure I fancy the idea of running 23 year old rubber in the event of picking up a puncture.
Cheers,
Andy

Firstly welcome to the NSX club, and we look forward to some nice pictures.

As for tyres, I haven't heard of run flats on an NSX, but have had them on other cars and find them un-responsive so would think not for the NSX

Hunter
14-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Thanks everyone for the welcome and comments, while run flats work well on the M4 (although it took BMW a while to sort the chassis to work with them) I agree with everyone here. Daft question really...! :rolleyes:

flyingsniffer
14-12-2015, 12:05 PM
On a related subject I was told off by someone for taking my NSX on track without the spare wheel/tyre in place, as it forms part of the crash structure (allegedly).

Needless to say, I thanked them for their advice and proceeded to ignore it.

marknsx
14-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Great question. Enjoy your NSX. Don't forget to drive it!

marknsx
14-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Yur a bad man!
Seriously is that true. I have exchanged my spare for a lunch box carrying my sandwiches.