PDA

View Full Version : Electric Window Regulator

Gary
06-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Has anyone attempted to dissassemble and re-assemble an electric window regulator motor/gearbox/cable spool assembly?

If so how did it go and do you have any hints and tips you may like to depart?

Cheers
Gary

modarr
06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
check the FAQ on Prime re the window regulator fix. Some description of what you are suggesting there.

Mo

Gary
06-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Blimey!

Myself and a friend have just spent the last 5 hours attempting to fix the window regualtor (mostly the motor-cable spool mechanism).

This is after I spent most of the afternoon carefully dissassembly 80% of the door just to get the mechanism out.

Once we had the motor-cable spool mechanism on the bench we carefull removed the spool cover and surveyed the damage. When the cable terminator 'thingy' let go the motor continued to wind the now untensioned cable onto the spool. However because of the unequal tensions or maybe because one of the cables jammed, both cables had jumped thier normal spools and become knotted effectivively siezing the spool(s).

After much delicate unpicking we eventually managed to free the cables (although they have some worrying kinks in them) and rebuild the spool-motor assembly. It tested OK on the bench although I noticed (when I replaced the old plastic 'thingy' for a new Dali alloy 'thingy' that the tabs that locate the 'thingy' had been bent from the distortion of the plastic.

I've still to reinstall the motor-cable spool mechanism in the door and rebuild the door. I'll report back if it all works (if anyone's interested).

BUT the moral of the story is......

Unless you want (or can afford) a massive bill from Honda get your 'thingys' replaced ASAP BEFORE they snap.

Gary

Mr_Spanners
08-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Congrats on the rebuild Gary - Having previously tried to re-spool the regulator I can fully appreciate just what a PITA it is\was!!! :o

... I'd be interested to hear whether the regulator works OK once it's reinstalled back in the car as the number of successful rebuilds I've heard of so far is errrr..... well, none!!! :shock:

Good luck!

~Phil.

ctrlaltdelboy
08-06-2006, 12:00 PM
... I'd be interested to hear whether the regulator works OK once it's reinstalled back in the car as the number of successful rebuilds I've heard of so far is errrr..... well, none!!! :shock:

I was thinking the same thing myself...

Gary
08-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Initial tests look promising.

I was able to reinstall the regulator and wind the window up and down to complete the re-assembly of the rest of the door parts.

However, I have a long journey planned tomorrow so I made sure the window was in the fully up position and will leave any further testing until after my trip.

NSA
26-07-2006, 11:51 AM
Just wondered if this went OK in the end. My window thingies don't need to be replaced but I might get them done to be safe. You say it took about 5hrs to do one door? How long would you say to replace both thingies before they go?

jaytip
26-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Just wondered if this went OK in the end. My window thingies don't need to be replaced but I might get them done to be safe. You say it took about 5hrs to do one door? How long would you say to replace both thingies before they go?
What year is your car? i believe the part was changed after 93(i think)and all cars after that date are ok.

NSA
26-07-2006, 12:26 PM
1997. Joy if it was changed.

jaytip
26-07-2006, 12:42 PM
1997. Joy if it was changed.
Yeah,you have no problems.

mutley
26-07-2006, 09:44 PM
HI Guys,

At the moment, my windows go down ok, but take an age going up, sometimes needing a little assistance. I thought about stripping them down and having a look, but I don't think I'll bother now, seems like a lot of work.
I might get round to it once I have finished more pressing tasks on the car.

Mine is a '92, so have no idea what state my "thingys" are in!!

Minch
26-07-2006, 10:45 PM
Mine is a '92 also. Drivers side is OK but passenger side window is mega slow!!! :cry:

When work gets quiter I might start doing a bit of DIY to investigate but at the moment . . . . NO CHANCE!!!

NSXGB
27-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Mine is a '92 also. Drivers side is OK but passenger side window is mega slow!!!

When work gets quiter I might start doing a bit of DIY to investigate but at the moment . . . . NO CHANCE!!!

....surely it's worth greasing up your runners if your window is slow, it does not mean your regulator is dying?

Minch
27-07-2006, 07:00 AM
True . . . guess I'm just lazy :lol: :oops:

jaytip
27-07-2006, 11:15 AM
....surely it's worth greasing up your runners if your window is slow, it does not mean your regulator is dying?
When i took my 92 up to Two Mills a few years ago to be serviced i asked them to grease the window runners for me because my windows were soooo slow.Didn't make a bit of difference :( They said my window regulators needed replacing.I said i would live with the slow windows :D

NSXGOD
27-07-2006, 07:28 PM
When i took my 92 up to Two Mills a few years ago to be serviced i asked them to grease the window runners for me because my windows were soooo slow.Didn't make a bit of difference :( They said my window regulators needed replacing.I said i would live with the slow windows :D

The reason it didn't make a bit of difference is because that is not where it needed greasing - the windows get to be slow going up because the steel braided wire is cutting into the plastic corner guides it is wrapped around - that is where the grease wanders away from first - the motor is NOT wearing out - the friction it must overcome is increasing - at some point the strength of the motor/wire assembly overcomes the strength of the pot metal fingers holding the plastic thingie in place and they start to bend and finally you have a instance where the window starts to go up and then "bang" - it falls down as the plastic bit breaks. I've never heard of one of these breaking when on the way down already.

it is way cheaper to get a can of the Honda Urea Grease ($10.00) and JUST DO IT than buy a new regulator.

Oh, and all you guys that think that just because you have "the newer design" window regulator assembly that you are off the hook - I've seen two of those break too - it just takes longer for it to happen since the basic design of the regulator assembly was not improved - it was just bandaided. :roll:

good going on fixing the motor! :mrgreen:

kowalski
29-07-2006, 12:11 PM
NSXGod, Do you sell the corner guides?

Will have a go stripping door down to do this, but nice to know if you can get the bits if required.

leigh

NSXGOD
29-07-2006, 02:32 PM
NSXGod, Do you sell the corner guides?
Will have a go stripping door down to do this, but nice to know if you can get the bits if required.
leigh

that part is not availble.

ctrlaltdelboy
29-07-2006, 05:00 PM
that part is not availble.

:cry:

is it on the project list for future custom parts?

NSXGOD
30-07-2006, 01:33 AM
that part is not available.

:cry:

is it on the project list for future custom parts?

no - the regulator assembly would need to be taken apart and rebuilt, I'd rather put what time I have into making an affordable SC and turbo kit.