PDA

View Full Version : Window switch drivers side

marknsx
20-11-2015, 12:51 PM
I cannot get the switch reprogrammed to work automatically up or down. I believe the switch is faulty. . Not sure on the answer for this one, it may be a case replacing the unit?
Any thoughts, anyone?

britlude
20-11-2015, 07:32 PM
reprogrammed???

have you replaced your window switch with another??.... not all nsx markets around the world had auto up/down... fortunately i believe it's just a case of tweaking the switch and adding a wire to the switch if it hasn't got it...

theprime post on the subject seems to have lost its pics....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/145086-DIY-Window-Switch-AUTO-UP-function

marknsx
21-11-2015, 04:31 PM
Thank you. Does this mean that my 1991 car may never have had the auto up and or down switch on drivers window?

duncan
21-11-2015, 09:56 PM
Mark,
In classic forum style, I'll say wait until someone with a '91 car comes along to answer that.
My understanding is that the passengers window is non auto both in the up and down directions, and that for UK cars the drivers side is both auto up and down, whilst for US cars the drivers auto is down only. See the link that Jonathan provided.
If you view one of the available service manuals you will see fully detailed check sequences for whatever is your precise problem and to see what Honda's solution is, before you start assuming a particular item failure.
If that's the good news or the easy bit, bear in mind the available on-line service information relates to US cars only - so - you will need to view it in the context of the observed difference in wiring described on the above link.
As another potential item to check, there is an electronic control module mounted in the innards of the drivers door - given the degradation of circuit boards with dry joints and time served failures of discrete surface mounted components on the likes of the main relay, fan controller, air con controller, it may be beneficial to examine that controller, re-flow the soldering, swap any capacitors out.

coolfunkyd
22-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Sounds like a good reason to visit my car before work on a Sunday morning. My car is a UK registered 1991 and drivers side auto window up and down works fine on my NSX Mark.

L696ULO
22-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Mine is a UK 1993 and as Duncan pointed out only the driver's window is auto up and down. There is auto marked on the top the driver's switch and nothing on the passenger's which sort of gives a good clue!

Rich

NSXGB
22-11-2015, 03:10 PM
As above ^^^^

Pride
22-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Ditto here to

britlude
22-11-2015, 05:39 PM
back to basics... you say 'reprogrammed'.... that implies it's a new/replacement switch??

if so, was it sourced from America? in the US they don't have the auto up function, threats of litigation from severed heads/whatever i think!

has the switch got the 5 'notches' of operation, that is centre off, first notch forward up, second notch forward auto up? and the same for down?

the US switch is different as it doesn't have the 5 notches, if i remember right, the internal layout prevents the front auto up position being reached (guess how i found that one out!) also the american version, not having the auto up, has one less wire than the UK/JDM version....

some of the members on NSXPrime rewire the switch harness connector to move the 'up' wire to the 'auto up' position in the connector so they only have the auto up feature (which can be cancelled by a brief switch down!)

so the main question is has it ever done auto up, and is it a replacement switch?

marknsx
22-11-2015, 08:15 PM
holy crap. my head is spinning. many thanks to all.
the switch, drivers side, reads auto. its a uk registered car. I will look at the available history for previous works. I will also pass the above comments on to Honda who are currently trying to resolve the problem.

As an aside. Having taken KAz's advice I have replaced the main relay. Following this the dash board lighting now works properly and the TCS light no longer remains on after activating the immobiliser before ignition. Thanks to Kaz for that advice.

Hagasan
22-11-2015, 08:31 PM
Just to add to the mix....and a question. Has the switch ever been replaced in the cars history?

The reason I ask is this. I have a 96 car. Amongst many changes I made to my car I fitted the later door cards from a 2004 car. The door cards came with the window switches and boot switch. I fitted the new cards complete with included switches then discovered the windows didn't work correctly. It was quite a few years ago but I think it was either auto in one direction or possibly both that didn't work? I had to put my original window switch into the new cards and all was fine. I think as Jonathan was saying the switches can be wired differently. Perhaps its possible your original switch was once changed with an incorrect replacement? Did they ever work with full auto in your ownership?

britlude
22-11-2015, 08:46 PM
as i understand it, all NSX have the auto up/down facility and the associated controller, but the american market don't utilise the auto up feature. because of this they have a different switch, that has up/off/down/auto down positions.

if the switch has ever needed replacing (like mine did after the actual switch lever broke) quite often America is used as a source of replacement parts as they are cheaper than Honda UK.

then you find you have a problem with the windows auto feature, as the switch hasn't got the auto-up position, and is missing the associated auto-up signal wire.

see post 9... http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/166143-HugaBuga-s-Fast-and-Easy-DIY-auto-up-Window-Mod for the wiring difference

Kaz-kzukNA1
24-11-2015, 12:21 AM
If your NSX is 91 UK model, then your Driver side PW switch, PW controller and ICU would support both the Auto Up and Down.
For later spec UK models, it will only support Auto Down and not the Up.

You can do a quick check with your Driver side PW switch.
For the side supporting the Auto feature, you should have two stages clicking motion.
You press the switch towards one side until it hits the 1st stop and if the switch supports the Auto feature, you can press it in the same direction beyond the 1st stop towards the end stop.
This will activate the Auto Up and/or Down.

For the side that doesn’t support the Auto feature, it will hit the end stop in single action.

As you already mentioned that your PW switch shows 'AUTO' on the switch body, you will need to investigate further if none of the Auto feature works.
You may need to check the female terminal of the PW switch module.
For some reason, Honda used non-WPC spec for several connectors behind the door card where the humidity could get high and because of this, I have seen several failures on the PW switch as well as the Lock/Unlock switch.
Due to the moisture and electrical current, it can corrode the internal structure of the female terminal resulting in intermittent connection.
May not be the case for you and first thing is to confirm the spec of your PW switch.

Kaz

marknsx
25-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Thanks all. Kaz I have asked Honda to investigate again.

nigel
27-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Just in case you don't know, when you ask Kaz, you have in essence asked the fellow who taught Honda the what and how to do it, concerning the NSX and a big bit of
previous F-1 technical info.

Cheers
nigel

marknsx
28-11-2015, 08:28 PM
yup well aware of it and have therefore directed Honda to Kaz's comments and guidance. Im not able to do these things myself. Honda can and won't charge me as it was a fault when I bought the car. I would love to go to Kaz and will someday have the honour of Kaz working on my car