PDA

View Full Version : Drive by wire/cruise bracket rust

philboo
17-08-2015, 09:22 PM
I hope someone can advise me. The bracket under this part which I believe is the cruise control/drive by wire having looked at the online documents is very rusty.

I'd like to replace it and I think this is the correct item but it appear you need to buy both parts (I'll also need some new bolts).

Can anyone advise me the best place to get this, online the UK it's £88.16 but online in the USA $59. Can you confirm it's the correct item and also if I'd be better trying to get it from Japan ?

Many thanks

Phil

exiges1
17-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Before you order the part check you can undo the rusted bolts particularly those that sit in the 'bowl' of the bracket, as in your second picture.

I found on mine that the the bolt was so rusty the edges of the bolt rounded off under very little turning force.

I ended up removing as much rust as possible with a Dremel type tool and painting it in situ with black Hammerite.

NSXGB
18-08-2015, 06:11 AM
If you get from Japan, try isicar.com they seem pretty good, I have just made my first order with them. You can contact them via eBay. Trouble is for such a small item it's not going to save you much if anything. Best bet is to order a few more parts to make it worthwhile or just bite the bullet and buy in the UK.

Kaz-kzukNA1
18-08-2015, 07:38 AM
Presuming that the photo is from your own NSX, it’s RHD DBW model.

If ordering from US, please note that it’s a sided parts so you need to specify the correct parts no. for the RHD model.

There are a few registered NSXCB vendors on here so you may want to contact them first.
As a last resort, if you are not in a hurry, I could be able to include your parts in my next order to Japan but all of the parts have to be delivered to my place first.
Most of the companies just got back working after the long summer holiday season in Japan.

Kaz

philboo
18-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Presuming that the photo is from your own NSX, it’s RHD DBW model.

If ordering from US, please note that it’s a sided parts so you need to specify the correct parts no. for the RHD model.

There are a few registered NSXCB vendors on here so you may want to contact them first.
As a last resort, if you are not in a hurry, I could be able to include your parts in my next order to Japan but all of the parts have to be delivered to my place first.
Most of the companies just got back working after the long summer holiday season in Japan.

Kaz

Hi Kaz

Thank you for the response. It's a RHD model I own yes. I've orders the bolts so I can have a go at cleaning and removing them. If I have success then it would be great if you can add the order for the part to your order. When do you need to know by ?

Thanks

Phil

nigel
18-08-2015, 11:49 PM
In aviation we have a thread soak penetrating fluid called "Aero-Kroil", that works miracles. (Kaz has described it as a Dexron transmission fluid and acetone mix)
It's in an orange aerosal spray can.
First, get a wire brush to clear as much rust as possible and then drown the bolts with a penetrating fluid and let it soak before you have a go at removing the bolts.
Check with Tim Poliniak in the states for a price.

Cheers
nigel

philboo
24-08-2015, 08:39 PM
I have managed to remove the bracket and the new bolts are due tomorrow or Wednesday. I've had a good go at the rust on the bracket and I was surprised that it isn't that bad. I expected a crumbled pile of rust but there's a lot of metal left. I've removed a lot of it and put some of that rust treatment on it overnight. I am now thinking I'll spray it in primer then just some Matt silver paint. Does this sound like the right thing to do and if so, any advise on the a suitable top coat.

On another note, I discovered the drain hole was rusted up while removing the rust from the bracket, hence the condition of it.

Senninha
24-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Hi, when I refreshed all my under bonnet brackets I did some basic cleaning then dropped them off at the local powder coaters who blasted them before powder coating. For your part I went satin black, for the multiple smaller brackets I went with 'white aluminium' as nearest to OEM finish. All parts were treated for less then the UK price of your one bracket.

With careful planning you'll be off road no more than a week.

regards, Paul