PDA

View Full Version : Cosworth engine?

NZNick
16-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Just read that the next NSX will have a Cosworth supplied V6. Wonder what Honda of Japan think about not having an Earth Dreams engine in their flagship halo car? After all, they are the biggest engine maker on the planet!

Thought I had better link to the source:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/08/15/acura-nsx-cosworth-engine-block-details/

Pride
16-08-2015, 08:10 AM
Just read that the next NSX will have a Cosworth supplied V6. Wonder what Honda of Japan think about not having an Earth Dreams engine in their flagship halo car? After all, they are the biggest engine maker on the planet!

If that's the case they're definitely loosing the plot.

Dragonlady
16-08-2015, 06:24 PM
So no VTEC?, not Honda, holy crap! What next, is it a shared platform with Cadilac?

Ian

britlude
16-08-2015, 07:03 PM
don't care, it'll still make a great donor car for Sarah's cube :)

... where's my hacksaw????

flyingsniffer
17-08-2015, 10:16 AM
Actually, I find it encouraging that Honda are looking externally for an engine supplier. The low volumes of the NSX mean that developing an engine just for the new car is commercial suicide - and don't forget that the original NSX was hardly a financial success for Honda.

And Cosworth is a well known and respected name. The only thing that surprises me is that they have gone public with it: normally these things are done below the radar.

What does worry me about the new NSX (and to be fair, all the high tech performance) hybrids is the '47 computers' bit. I shudder to think what the bills will be when the warranty runs out. And let's hope they don't suffer from any GT-R like gearbox circlip issues.

Cosworth are also supplying the engine for the new 2017 TVR, which promises a more 'old school' approach - and Cosworth/TVR have publicly announced their partnership. I've taken a punt and dropped a deposit on one of these (Gordon Murray's involvement also helps!).

Nick Graves
17-08-2015, 08:15 PM
Dafuq?

It's only the castings that appear to be sourced from a low-volume producer of quality parts; the engine is still apparently assembled in Anna and no-one but Honda would design it with such an odd included angle...

The internet does seem to like to get its knickers in a twist over nothing!

Le grand complication does scare me too, I mustard mit.

hazman
17-08-2015, 09:16 PM
From my post to a previous thread in April 2014:

My source is still adamant they're going for 600 BHP from the V6, in conjunction with Cosworth.
Who ever thought the new NSX would be built in the States?
Why are Cosworth building a new factory to 'build power plants with global partners' ?
Honda are famous for using a very high specific output engines; S800,S2000,NSX. OK these powerplants were designed in-house, but the engineers would be retired by now. The current lot have been designing Jizz's for the last 15 years.
Why build a new NSX which is just 'meh' ,relatively speaking, to the competition? It has to stand out.
Here's hoping anyway.
C

Pride
17-08-2015, 09:34 PM
Now that makes perfect sense to me what's going. Well predicted my friend.

As you can read into the future so well Hazman, please can you now try and predict as to when the UK might get this car and how well will it stack up to the rest of the completion.

NZNick
17-08-2015, 09:43 PM
^ I remember reading this and was going to quote it but didn't - sorry.

How many C32B's did Honda make - 1500? 2000? 2500? Was that financially viable? I'm just glad that they did!

hazman
17-08-2015, 10:15 PM
Now that makes perfect sense to me what's going. Well predicted my friend.

As you can read into the future so well Hazman, please can you now try and predict as to when the UK might get this car and how well will it stack up to the rest of the completion.

Don't hold you breath. The performance stats have been thin on the ground because I still think they are being finalised. Various bits and bobs still being designed. Likely to be extremely competitive when it does eventually launch, I'm sticking with 600 bhp + electric, although that may be the 'r' version. Certainly the 550 total quoted looks very conservative to me. By the time it launches you'll be able to get a Golf with that much.
I'm told it's very good.