PDA

View Full Version : M25 speed cameras

lotusolly
11-08-2015, 05:25 PM
Had an email from my office this today to inform that 2 (YES 2!!!!) speeding tickets had arrived for me this morning.
Both for travelling between J8 and J9 on the M25 in the area with variable speed limit on Monday and Tuesday of last week.
One ticket for travelling at 50 when limit at 40 and one for travelling at 71 when limit was 60.
I was previously under the impression that the cameras were on a fixed speed of 80 and activated when a lower limit was in place. I have travelled through this area hundreds of times without issue and never experienced a problem but it would appear the cameras are now active with varying speed controls and not giving much tolerance.
I don't condone speeding in hazardous areas like roadworks etc, but this gets very annoying when they adjust the speed limits to a level that is not appropriate for the road conditions and then fine people!
Just wanted to give other road users a heads up as guessing this camera has generated thousands of tickets over the last week and they may have adjusted cameras in other regions as well.

Olly

britlude
11-08-2015, 07:49 PM
yup, they have gone active with the displayed variable speed limit... but you know that now... :(

i've been told that if there's a red circle round the speed then the cameras are active!

NSX 2000
12-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Had an email from my office this today to inform that 2 (YES 2!!!!) speeding tickets had arrived for me this morning.
Both for travelling between J8 and J9 on the M25 in the area with variable speed limit on Monday and Tuesday of last week.
One ticket for travelling at 50 when limit at 40 and one for travelling at 71 when limit was 60.
I was previously under the impression that the cameras were on a fixed speed of 80 and activated when a lower limit was in place. I have travelled through this area hundreds of times without issue and never experienced a problem but it would appear the cameras are now active with varying speed controls and not giving much tolerance.
I don't condone speeding in hazardous areas like roadworks etc, but this gets very annoying when they adjust the speed limits to a level that is not appropriate for the road conditions and then fine people!
Just wanted to give other road users a heads up as guessing this camera has generated thousands of tickets over the last week and they may have adjusted cameras in other regions as well.

Olly

Olly

Have you been "nicked" by a single camera on a gantry above the lane you were in or by the new single camera that sit on the left hand side of a gantry, or by an average speed system?

Paul

lotusolly
12-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Hi Paul

I haven't been along that bit of road since getting the tickets yet to check.
I have seen the camera's on the side of the gantry between J5 and J6 but have only previously seen the grey boxes above each lane between J8 and J9. I haven't had a chance to see if they have activated these or installed something new that I have missed yet. I will be going that way tomorrow so will have a good check
Annoyingly you can only get a copy of the photo if you contest the ticket and go to court so can't be exactly certain where I got caught as the tickets only stipulate between J8 and J9. I'm guessing both tickets are from the same fixed camera, I'm usually very good at spotting mobile camera's and don't believe I would have got caught 2 days on the trot without noticing it!

Olly

Kaz-kzukNA1
13-08-2015, 10:19 AM
As a side note, you may want to check your speedo against the GPS especially when the cabin temperature is cold.

You may think your speedo is fine (I thought so on my NSX as well) until you actually check it.

A while ago, one owner mentioned that his speedo was showing lower figure than the GPS.
Normally, it’s the other way round. Car manufactures on purposely show higher figure than the actual speed especially at motor way speed.

I spoke with the owner recently and confirmed that it showed the biggest difference just after started leaving his place at moderate speed.
So, on the way to Silverstone Classic, I checked my speedo against GPS and interesting enough, when the cabin was still very cold (it was on that very wet Sunday early morning….), the speedo was showing 65mph when I was doing about 73mph.
The dual carriage way was not long enough that I couldn’t test how long it would take to get the speedo to operate like it does during my every day trip so by the time when I was driving through the 30 - 40mph area, I didn’t notice big difference.

On the way back from Silverstone, by the time I arrived at the same dual carriage way that I experienced the speedo/GPS difference in the morning, the cabin was already warmed up and the speedo was showing the normal tendency (showing about 70mph when you are actually doing about 67mph on the GPS) and no issues were experienced.

I haven’t managed to test the same scenario by setting the CCU at freezing cold temperature as my evaporator is not healthy……

Probably nothing to do with what you experienced but wanted to share the info.
It's very likely to be the sign of capacitor leakage inside the gauge unit.....

Kaz