PDA

View Full Version : Getting it started, am I missing something?

gturner008
02-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Ok, here's my issue. Help needed!

I've not started the car for about 2 months, battery probably lost charge (it's a new Honda battery replaced last November). Put on a good quality trickle charger. Battery back to full strength. Also put battery booster on for good measure.

Press immobiliser, everything good, key in ignition, turn, all lights on dash come on (and then certain lights go out as normal), turn key to start... Nothing. All that happens is I hear a faint click from the glove box area, no big click from the starter motor. Lights do not dim (suggesting not a lot/no current being drawn). Starter motor not making any sound.

I put clutch pedal right the way in, just in case, no difference.

Am am I doing something wrong? Missing some thing? Any ideas? Is there a way to 'reset the system' perhaps by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery? Or other way to reset? I've tried both sets of keys, don't think there's an issue with the key code.

Basically can't take out the car in this lovely weather... Any suggestions great fully received. Thanks in advance. Gary

Hagasan
02-07-2015, 05:41 PM
Possibly a main relay, ignition switch and a club membership ;)

gturner008
02-07-2015, 05:52 PM
Happily join any club to get the beauty started... Seems odd to just stop working. Only 15k miles... Maybe just lack of use?

Silver Surfer
02-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Tap the starter motor in the engine bay with a bar or stick.... Then try again to start the car.
could be a loose connection or sticky solenoid.

SS

Pride
02-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Double check the battery earth connection and also where it bolts onto the chassis.

NSXGB
02-07-2015, 09:09 PM
Does the fuel pump prime before you try to turn her over?

gturner008
02-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Yes, I think I can hear the fuel pump priming. As I said, I can turn the key to try and start it, but there's no cranking at all, and not even a dimming of the lights. There's a faint click with I can hear somewhere inside the glove box. Frustrating!

Pride
02-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Yes, I think I can hear the fuel pump priming. As I said, I can turn the key to try and start it, but there's no cranking at all, and not even a dimming of the lights. There's a faint click with I can hear somewhere inside the glove box. Frustrating!

Having worked with vehicle security systems (alarms and immobilisers) for more years than I care to remember, I reckon it could easily be a fault with the starter kill circuit of your immobiliser.
It sounds like you've checked all the obvious.
If you have home start with either RAC or AA I would give them a call tomorrow, they should be able to at least identify the problem and if they can't fix it then take it to a main dealer or vehicle security centre, you decide, depending on what they find.
Good luck anyway before the heat wave is over.

Silver Surfer
02-07-2015, 11:33 PM
You should be able to hear the fuel pump prime behind you.... Sort of whirring sound when you turn your key before cranking... When you turn your key to crank the engine and nothing happens then it is likely the starter motor is not engaging either internal issue or no power is going to it..... Checking if power is going to the starter motor would be key to finding where the issue is.
If the fuel pump is not priming... Possible the main relay problem.
?? If cranking.. but not able to maintain idling and cuts out... Maybe the main relay as well.

SS

gturner008
03-07-2015, 06:20 AM
I can hear the fuel pump priming. So think that rules out main relay. Doubt it's the battery earth as using jump/booster connected to the engine - but I'll check. Agree need to find out if power going to starter solenoid - as that will determine if that's at fault.

My my best guess is that power is not even trying to get to the starter, as no current is being drawn when I turn the key to start. Feels like immobiliser working when it shouldn't. Don't think I have much choice than to get it picked up by Honda and off to main dealer - unless anyone has a better idea?

Pride
03-07-2015, 06:46 AM
As I said earlier I think it would be wiser to first call out your breakdown organisation to have a look as it might be something more obvious than you think.

exiges1
03-07-2015, 07:04 AM
As already suggested I would start with the battery connections, ensure they are clean and correctly tightened. A high percentage of failures to start are battery related. Despite it being a new battery are you able to remove it yourself and have it checked by Honda/Halfords/whoever to ensure it is functioning correctly? It maybe that it needs replacing.

As for as your concerns about the immobiliser is it possible (or as simple as) temporarily removing its fuse to isolate it?

gturner008
03-07-2015, 07:42 AM
I'm not sure how to remove the fuse to disable the immobiliser. Won't have thought that possible.

As I have a booster plugged directly to the engine I don't think it's because of a lack of juice to the system. I'm still inclined to think it's electronic/immobiliser related. My next step is to disconnect the battery and see if they system reboots?

Mistercorn
03-07-2015, 07:44 AM
I would check the voltage at the starter solenoid. If you have volts when in the start position it is a sticky starter solenoid. If not I would then look at the immobiliser. I doubt you can easily unplug it.

MC

gturner008
03-07-2015, 08:56 AM
Problem sorted!

Not sure if it's a Honda system or not, seemed to remember previous owner James fitted a tracker. There's a credit card like device hidden in the car. It must have gone to sleep, so pressed button, it flashed, car then started!!!!

Delighted to say the least. It'll be taking a spin out tomorrow. Over the moon...