PDA

View Full Version : HID conversion - anyone done it?

gsuds
29-05-2006, 09:16 PM
Hi y'all,

Dan, interesting website and helpful comments on site about HID conversion.

Anyone done this? Seems like first upgrade to do for me - 2 candle power lights fairly increases night driving times!

Also, anyone added a new hi-fi without replacing console? My local car audio guy can do - just adding a tray under glovebox & using a remote. Can't see any slicker way to do it m'self - unless anyone here knows different......

TheQuietOne
29-05-2006, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I have Dan's HID conversion running on my car (have done for a few months now, its a year 2000 3.2 with pop-ups) it is spot on. Looks good, updates the car's looks significantly when the lights are on and really improves the vision at night on dipped beam.

If you do it I would recommend the side light upgrade too just keeps it all matching once you have lost the candlesque look at the front....and perhaps the clear side repeaters too.

I cannot comment on the fitting process though as all I did was provide lunch and Diet Coke while Dan did it himself as it was the first one! He has plenty of pics of the process though and it all looks very professional now it is installed - took him an hour or two to do.

Good luck with your investigations into this!

Best Regards,

Matt.

gsuds
29-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks Matt - would plan to do silver side repeaters too.

Plan to do it myself - website suggests "plug 'n' play" so even a mechanical buffoon such as I ought to be able to do it....famous last words.

Cheers,
Graham

DTA-Motorsport
30-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Hello Graham,

Glad to hear someone else is interested in the HID conversion. Of late I've been doing some conversions to Lambos, Ferrari's and a couple of Maserati's as well. In all cases fitting is "fairly" straight forward although in the case of the NSX and Maserati an additional "conversion" wire needs to be made up inorder for it all to work propperly.

When I did Matt's conversion it was the first one on an NSX and fitting took a bit longer than it takes me now. To date I've done three conversions to NSX's and all of them are (a) still fully operational and (b) a vast improvement over the stock halogen system.

I've not had much time lately but have a half finished installation guide (incl. pics). Hopefully once I've got the website sorted I'll have some time to finish it.

Just to reitterate the basic information about the HID's:

Cost for complete system: £250 (incl. delivery)
Ultra bright LED side light to match HID colour: £18 (incl. delivery)

If you are handy with tools (you'll only need a philips head screwdriver, a socket/ratchet set and a small metal file) then installation of the HID kit should take you about 30-45 minutes per side. Having said that, if you want to do a professional job you'll have to drill a 23mm hole in the plastic covers covering the back of the headlight unit, in which case it'll take some more time - these covers aren't essential by the way). I have thought about offering the covers pre-drilled on an exchange basis but the jury is still out on that because of Honda UK's inability to provide me with a firm price on the items ...

For those people who wish to have their HID kits fitted professionally I can always make arrangements to fit it for you, at an agreed labour cost of £30/hour. It would either have to be at my place (I'll throw in tea/coffee/biscuits/sandwhiches/etc) or I can travel to you if you provide compensation for petrol expenses, etc. Following on from this thought, I have been contemplating organising a "fitting day" where I will organise a work space and various mod cons and get perhaps 5-6 NSX to fit HID kits, clear side repeaters, etc. It could be a mini-meet with the added benefit of getting your HID kits fitted! Don't know what the others think of this so please discuss amongst yourselves!

Anyway, I degress - Graham, if you want to discuss the fitment some more please give me a call on 07044 016586 and I'd be happy to give advise, etc.

All the best,

Dan

gsuds
30-05-2006, 11:41 AM
Thanks, Dan - that's very helpful. Would plan to try to fit myself - I'm quite a long way away from you....

Seriously, the standard lights are not really up to much, and night driving can be very special in its own right!

I'll PM you regarding an order! :)

Graham

Minch
30-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Dan,

I'd be very interested in getting the HID fitted to my car too. Where are you based?

Anyone else interested?

Nathan

DTA-Motorsport
30-05-2006, 04:56 PM
Hi Nathan,

I'm based in the village of Studley (Warwickshire) which is about 20 minutes due South of Birmingham.

In the interest of getting some reduction in the purchase price of the HID kits, if we can get a total of 5 orders confirmed (and paid) then I can reduce the price to £235 (delivered) per kit.

Also, we can then organise a "fitting" day where I can fit them to your cars in a central location.

Have a think about that and see what you think.

ATB

Dan

TheQuietOne
30-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi Nathan,

I'm based in the village of Studley (Warwickshire) which is about 20 minutes due South of Birmingham.

In the interest of getting some reduction in the purchase price of the HID kits, if we can get a total of 5 orders confirmed (and paid) then I can reduce the price to £235 (delivered) per kit.

Also, we can then organise a "fitting" day where I can fit them to your cars in a central location.

Have a think about that and see what you think.

ATB

Dan

I see now you start offering discounts...only kidding :D Sounds like a good deal to me - come on Luke get your name down that will make a possible 3 :wink:

TTFN

Matt

kowalski
31-05-2006, 09:43 AM
I would be interested in a kit with the side lights, would be able to fit it myself. What sort of time frame are you looking at for delivery?

leigh

DTA-Motorsport
31-05-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi Leigh,

Delivery usually takes around 3 working days from the time that I've received the funds (if items are in stock - which they currently are).

Dan

kowalski
31-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Hi Dan,

have sent pm

leigh

DTA-Motorsport
01-06-2006, 02:40 PM
General Notification:

As this is a Technical Forum I have started a new Group Buy thread over in the DTA-Motorsport section. Please have a read and add your name if you'd like to participate in this Group Buy.

Many thanks for your time.

Dan

PS - Leigh: PM'd you back.