PDA

View Full Version : am I the right person for an NSX?

million miles
28-05-2006, 09:47 AM
I have been reading the postings on here for a while now and have noticed what a friendly helpful bunch you all seem to be, therefore could you please give me some advice about purchasing and running an NSX.

Firstly a bit about me, I am in my late 40’s and until recently I have run a succession of company cars, some quite interesting such as Alfa 156 and Golf Gti and VR6. I consider myself an experienced driver having covered a million miles in the UK as well as some fairly out of the way places. I don’t, however, consider myself anything more than having average driving skills. My current car is a Mercedes C270D, time for a yawn but it does have some real go in it -140+, where allowed of course.

So I now have some disposable income and the obvious choice is a Porsche, probably a Boxster. The problem is it’s just too obvious for middle aged men like me and would mean two, and if my wife gets her Mini, three German cars. So I have been looking at alternatives and have always had a soft spot for Hondas - my wife currently runs a Civic 1.6.

My desire for an NSX is purely driven by looks, reputation and the view that if I don’t have one now I never will………..oh and my 15 year old son wants me to get a DB9 which is too expensive, so what can I do?

The other problem is that I don’t open bonnets, the most I do is check oil, water and tyres, I have no interest in what goes on under the bonnet; I do, however, enjoy cars and driving. Does my lack of interest preclude me from ownership of an NSX?

The car would be used for trips to France and general weekend motoring, no more than 5,000 miles per year.

The questions:

• Budget is up to a maximum of 18k and although I am happy to have a 10 to 15 year old high mileage example it can’t be a “dog” as I don’t want to spend more than general running costs and it has to be reasonably reliable. It would be regularly serviced by a main dealer.
• Any ideas on insurance for a car garaged in Suffolk clocking up 5000 miles a year?
• Although the Mercedes is an auto I would prefer a manual, however there seem to be quite a few autos about. I presume the manual is best?
• So far I have yet to sit in one, any ideas where to find a test drive as Honda dealers seem a bit unsure about this car. My local dealer in Bury St Edmunds services two but looks blank when I ask about costs etc
• Red with black roof and interior would be my first choice, there seem to be a few about but any ideas of where best to check for any on sale?
• Could someone please confirm the exact width of the car including wing mirrors.

I have read the buying guide in the general forum, I would have any car I consider fully inspected and checked out.

That’s enough for the time being, thanks in advance and let’s hope we get some decent BH weather.

Simon

Minch
28-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Simon,

I think you've already made the correct decision. The NSX is a fabulous car and one which is often overlooked. For realiability they are second to none. Believe me, unless you want to spend £700-£1000 almost every 1-2 years on a Boxsters gearbox seals then fine (a good friend of mine works for Porsche UK, inside info!).

I'm 26 and pay around £700 for insurance which is probably about right for someone of my age. If you are only planning on 5,000 mile per year then the most you will be paying out is for an annual service.

Both Norton Honda (never been myself) and Chiswich Honda (ask for Ivan) are probably your best bet for well serviced, dealer sourced cars. However don't be too scared to look privately. Most of the cars for sale are known by somebody on this forum so you can get realiable advice here.

I bought a 1992 (non power steering model) earlier this year but had been looking for over a year. If you are looking at around the £18k mark then you might find a red/black model on around 92-94 plate with 60k miles. Believe me, get the manual!!!! This would mean that you want a Coupe of course. The Targas are a bit later with a normally body coloured roof.

Mine is a red and black model with 88k miles on the clock and it still feels as solid as a rock for build quality. My Jaguar X-Type is only 3 years old and it has rattles all over the place :?

Hope this helps.

Nathan

Greybloke
28-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Simon

Yas agree with above. Mine is a 91 red with black roof (the best colour) and with 94,000 miles still runs sweet as a nut. Servicing has been painless (so far) no more expensive than any other Honda, although some of the parts can be dear. I've put 30,000 miles on it in a year as I cant keep out of it :D with no dramas or problem.

My insurance (late 40's with 6 points, but cool postcode risk area) is about £500

It really is a everyday supercar, that will always make you smile. Have a word with Ivan at Chiswick Honda, as he knows most cars available at any one time. I can also recomend Norton Way Honda for servicing, Brian the service manager really knows the NSX well.

Finally just get a drive, that will clinch it for you 8)

banzaicars
29-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Simon,

I too can strongly recommend the NSX over anything else in its price range. I bought my '96 T Manual in Feb and find it nothing short of sensational.

I consider myslef lucky with mine as I bought it from a Honda dealer having just had a full cam belt service and a new clutch - both of these are the most expensive items that 'commonly' arise with the NSX.

I'm 33 and have a Norfolk postcode, garaged with 5000 ltd mileage - my insurance is £480 fully Comp.

Most people don't care but keep in mind that pre '93 models don't have power steering or Traction Control.

I live near Downham Market so if you are close enough I would be more than willing to let you have a look at mine so you can see how they feel/sound.

Regards

Keith

Paul G
29-05-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi Simon,

I have owned my 91 NSX for 5 years now, it's the longest I have ever kept a car, and to be honest if it wasn't such a brillant car, looks , performance, reliabilty and rarity I would have changed it a couple of years ago, but when you take in consideration what your getting for around the £18k budget I think you will find you will be hard pushed to get even close to it. Get yourself a test drive and there will be no looking back. I totally agree with the other comments given by both Minch and Greybloke, they sound so sensible :lol:

On the servicing front, over the last five years (covered around 35k miles in that time) it has cost me on average £350.00 a year! This year it will be due a major service and cam belt change so that will push the average cost up a little, but if you know it's coming it's never quite so bad :!:

Sounds like we attended the same school when it comes to mechanics etc :lol:

On the inspection front, whilst I agree with you 100% the only point I would mention is that make sure the car goes to a honda dealer, preferably an NSX approved dealer, they know what to look for and what not to look for, sometimes Mr job's worth (Sorry if your and RAC man) just doesn't make the grade (past experience for several good friends of mine) probably works out cheaper too...

Hope this helps a little

All the best in your search

PG

Paul G
29-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Hi Keith,

I think the pre 93 do have TCS? well mine does, so did my bropthers! I stand to be corrected is still early in the morning!

Cheers

PG

Mr_Spanners
29-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Yep, ALL NSX's have (switchable) TCS as standard and all manual pre-94 facelift cars have no PAS - which generally speaking seems to be seen as a plus!

Good luck in the hunt for a suitable car Simon!

~Phil.

blue5
29-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Simon,

Yes you are.

I have had mine for over 8.5 yrs now and it has never failed me.

Running costs are low, norton way honda is the best for you if you live in Suffolk.

You will find the car very comfortable and very quick mpg 32-34 once the initial excitement has worn off!

Buy a good one, a neglected example (and there are a few now) will cost you in the short run.

If you want a ride i am sure someone here will oblige, i live in north london, PM me if you are in the area.

Tom

gsuds
29-05-2006, 05:37 PM
Only had mine a week but don't think fuel economy above 20mpg yet! :oops:

Bought a '93 car with 84k, manual FHC, no PAS. Having driven later targa with PAS agree better closed (it's stiffer in corners, yes, even on real roads, but we have these ones in Scotland without much traffic..... :wink: ) and non-PAS gives great steering feel. Insurance only £100 a year more than my MX5. (39yr old rural GP, daily driver, not garaged - it'll work hard for its living!!)

Was starting to look at Boxsters but they're ten-a-penny, ended up trying a 993 for similar money, but didn't raise the pulse as much as NSX! Also, if costs are a consideration, insurance quoted about £2-300 more than NSX (as both cars similar power/same ins group/performance does this say something about the ownership profile??).

Certainly in my neck of the woods mine is the second NSX I've seen in 15 years, and I've driven the other one too! Was in London the other day and 911s as common as Corsas outside Halfords. :roll:

Senninha
29-05-2006, 06:33 PM
HI Simon,

Its difficult to add much to the above ref insurance, where to look, who to talk to and where to service.

However, just to offer a little extra for your consideration. If you're after a good drive but only a short ownership, your choice has to be the manual (as owned by most of us). If you think this could be a car you will cherish for many years, and not looking to sell on quickly, try the auto. Its a good shift, will offer you a later car as they are less sought after, you may even find a Targa, and for those trips into Europe with the cruise control would be a relaxed drive.

If you find one privately, ask the question here as usually someone will know or have seen the car.

Good luck and see you in Honda's finest soon!

regards

banzaicars
30-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Yep, ALL NSX's have (switchable) TCS as standard

Sorry, I stand corrected :oops: