View Full Version : Shipping companies?

exiges1
31-05-2015, 11:58 AM
Can anyone recommend, from experience, a U.S. shipping company who can handle large items like wheels etc?

Milton
31-05-2015, 01:35 PM
I have shipped an end table and a motor scooter frame using the Greyhound Bus Line . They are willing to take large items cheaper than the shipping companies .

drmikey
31-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Shipping from US to UK?

exiges1
31-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Yes, seller in U.S. Has asked if I know of any recommended companies.

Shipping from US to UK?

exiges1
31-05-2015, 07:23 PM
I have shipped an end table and a motor scooter frame using the Greyhound Bus Line . They are willing to take large items cheaper than the shipping companies .

Thanks, I'm assuming they deliver to the UK?

Pride
31-05-2015, 07:36 PM
Thanks, I'm assuming they deliver to the UK?

I've been and checked on their website and it appears they don't ship outside U.S and Canada.

exiges1
31-05-2015, 07:50 PM
I've been and checked on their website and it appears they don't ship outside U.S and Canada.

Thanks for looking.

drmikey
31-05-2015, 08:00 PM
I can organise an import with my account with UPS

I've imported bumpers and wheels in the last month.

mike

nigel
31-05-2015, 08:35 PM
I've done plenty of US shipping to the UK and vice versa and for small to medium packages the United States Postal Service, (USPS) is the cheapest.
They work in conjunction with Parcel Force and I find UPS and Fed Ex are stupid expensive.
Long or oversize packages can get costly but I think they have to exceed 65" in length and I'm not sure of the width.

Cheers
nigel

exiges1
31-05-2015, 09:23 PM
I can organise an import with my account with UPS

I've imported bumpers and wheels in the last month.

mike

Thanks Mike, do you find UPS expensive? To be honest I've no reference point as to what 'expensive' is? I want to bring across 4 wheels which have tyres fitted, although it's possible I could ask for the tyres to be removed to save weight.

exiges1
31-05-2015, 09:24 PM
I've done plenty of US shipping to the UK and vice versa and for small to medium packages the United States Postal Service, (USPS) is the cheapest.
They work in conjunction with Parcel Force and I find UPS and Fed Ex are stupid expensive.
Long or oversize packages can get costly but I think they have to exceed 65" in length and I'm not sure of the width.

Cheers
nigel

Thanks Nigel, I'll ask him to get a quote from USPS as well as UPS.

drmikey
31-05-2015, 10:02 PM
Tyres removed would make a big difference.

I shipped set of NA2 wheels and was approx £275 but you also need to factor in customs. Bumper was nearly £400

I ship a lot of packages so have a good account rate at UPS. Direct to UPS would be VV expensive.

I can quote you using my account if you want. Would need exact measurements and weights. Two packages of 2 wheels each would be best.

Delivery is quick though - 3 days or so

exiges1
31-05-2015, 10:21 PM
Tyres removed would make a big difference.

I shipped set of NA2 wheels and was approx £275 but you also need to factor in customs. Bumper was nearly £400

I ship a lot of packages so have a good account rate at UPS. Direct to UPS would be VV expensive.

I can quote you using my account if you want. Would need exact measurements and weights. Two packages of 2 wheels each would be best.

Delivery is quick though - 3 days or so

Thanks Mike, I'm grateful for your offer. I've emailed the seller to let him know. He would prefer to sell in the U.S. but if he changes his mind I'll give you a ring if that's ok.

drmikey
31-05-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks Mike, I'm grateful for your offer. I've emailed the seller to let him know. He would prefer to sell in the U.S. but if he changes his mind I'll give you a ring if that's ok.

No problem at all :)

nigel
01-06-2015, 08:14 PM
drmikey has an established UPS account so DO get a quote from him to compare with USPS / Parcel Force.
As with him, getting rid of the tyres will save you loads.
The shipping for them, (the tyres) will probably buy a new set in the UK or near by and have money left over for a night at the local pub.

Cheers
nigel

UnhuZ
02-06-2015, 05:46 AM
Hi,

Last summer a friend shipped 18/19 TSW wheels from California to Portugal.

It was 2 packages of 2 wheels each (WITH tyres) ... the total weight was 92kg and it costed $430 through FedEX.

Nuno

ianhb
03-06-2015, 12:39 AM
UPS last year from Oklahoma to UK charged $700 for 4 wheels,no tyres, weight stated 84lbs, then UK additional import duty £33.59 plus import VAT £175.81 plus brokerage charges £11 plus VAT on that of £2.20.
DHL wanted more, Fedex I was advised quote an estimate, but charge 50% more, Post office much cheaper but tracking can be poor or absent.

A minefield indeed.
My friend has an account with them all, but stopped using Fedex because of erratic pricing & quotes, even for his $20,000 a year shipments !!

exiges1
03-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Thanks for all your responses and experiences, very informative and as Ian said, something of a minefield!

Mike (drmikey) is away at the moment so I think I'll wait until he returns and discuss with him.
Cheers,
Tony.