PDA

View Full Version : light clutch pedal

gumball
26-05-2006, 12:54 PM
a couple of times my clutch has gone really light, like a throttle pedal then gradually got back to normal, anyone else had this happen? and why it would?

Mr_Spanners
26-05-2006, 01:31 PM
A change in hydraulic pressure is a possible cause. Check the clutch master cylinder for leaks (and check the fluid level!). My first guess is that the push rod seal in the cylinder is deformed or damaged but you'd have to take it apart to check it!!!

So, first checks are the fluid level and also for fluid leaks up at the top of the clutch pedal (where the push rod goes through the bulkhead)

HTH

~Phil.

gumball
28-05-2006, 04:22 PM
no leaks and its filled right up, its only done it twice in a year and both times the bite point remained the same, I guess i'll keep my fingers crossed as a clutch master cylinder sounds expensive.

Mr_Spanners
29-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Might be worth flushing or at least bleeding the hydraulic clutch fluid - the slave cylinder (for bleeding) is located at the gearbox 'end' (i.e. in the engine bay!) and you should see it if you look down near the coolant reservoir bottle. If you're not a spanner wielder then a local garage should be able to do this for very little money (£5 for fluid and about 20 mins labour max!)

gumball
03-06-2006, 01:27 PM
I bled out the clutch, it looked like it was the old original fluid in there,the pedal feels a little more positive now, I guess only time will tell if its all better,
thanks for the advice.

Papalazarou
11-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Hi Guys, just thought I'd share this one with you just in case anyone else has the same problem.

The clutch went down to the floor the other night, so I pulled it back up with my foot and it worked for a while.
looked at it yesterday and found that the reservoir was low but couldn't find a leak around the master cylinder.
So, I jacked up the nearside rear and took off the wheel. Underneath was a pool of dot 4 from the slave cylinder, so it's new slave cylinder time for me.
Just out of interest has anyone bought a slave cylinder lately?
I'm wondering how much they cost. I'm told that service kits are no longer available.

Cheers,

James.

ctrlaltdelboy
11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
showing as currently in stock at Dali at $79
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1123

small packet postage from there should be with you in 3-4 days in my experience.

Papalazarou
11-06-2006, 12:09 PM
Thanks Darren,

I bet that's a lot cheaper than the Honda UK price.

Cheers,

James.