PDA

View Full Version : Auto or manual ?

philboo
22-04-2015, 07:05 PM
Hello, I'm hitting this forum hard having now I'm a member. I've read plenty post on here about not buying an auto and I can understand why but what I have as a serious question is should I buy an auto I can 'just about' afford now which is in mint condition or risk waiting for a manual in mint (or as close as possible) condition in the next 6 months to find it's just too expensive. I couldn't afford this £50K+ range so need to be very realistic and decide if it's auto now, find someone (I've posted a wanted ad) with a nice manual they want to sell and isn't over my budget or risk waiting and possibly being very sad as they both (auto and manual) end up out of my range.

I want it for good weather and to keep long term, not a short term investment. I'm not after a car for the track and have no aim to drive it hard.

I'm aware no one can predict what's going to happen with car prices but I know I cannot consider paying £5K - £10K more than the current prices for the same car in 6-12 months if I don't make a decision, hence my dilemma.

It's great to be here and be able to share my confusion with you all.

Phil

goldnsx
22-04-2015, 07:32 PM
(Only) as a sunday drivers classic cars I could imagine an AT to fulfill my needs. A MT would be my choice for spirited street driving and more than that. But I'm biased. As you're intending to keep it long-term I'd not compromise. And this is not a decision to be made in front of the keyboard :), drive both of them and decide. Good luck!

Philip
22-04-2015, 07:54 PM
I too was looking for a manual as I loath autos. BUT, a gorgeous NA1 auto model with just 30,000 on the clock came up for sale from a member on here without being advertised and I just had to have it.
i don't regret buying an auto as it is still very spirited to drive and I know I won't have spend a lot dosh on any future clutch replacement. Have a test drive of an auto and see what you think.
good luck,

phil

goldtop
22-04-2015, 08:25 PM
Hi Phil. I think 90% of NSX buyers face the same dilemmas. I know I did. I almost bought the purple targa auto that was in Ireland (I dithered and just missed out).

Never test drove an auto, and bought manual after waiting for ages fot the right car to come along. But I was a passenger in an F-Matic, and it certainly shifted well enough. But for me the satisfaction of a manual is all part of the fun. Of course, the down-shifting, rev-matching cliche is only a tiny part of the overall driving experience, but it's what I wanted in a special car.

Got to say that I'd not worry too much about a super low mileage car. The NSX does wear its miles very well, and if you do wait for a low mileage manual one, you'll have to compete with deep-pocketed collectors.

Good luck. Definitely get to Plans to drive whatever they have at the moment.

Senninha
24-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Hi Phil, you do know PLans have a recently restored manual available .... just dont let Goldtop get there before you as he lovs black!

HTH, Paul

goldtop
24-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Hi Phil, you do know PLans have a recently restored manual available .... just dont let Goldtop get there before you as he lovs black!

HTH, Paul

Ha. That's true. Although I'm finding Charlotte Green hard enough to keep clean, so perhaps it's just as well I never bought a black one. :D

nobby
25-04-2015, 09:17 AM
I've owned black cars and I thought they were hard to keep ... Yellow is worse!

Ha. That's true. Although I'm finding Charlotte Green hard enough to keep clean, so perhaps it's just as well I never bought a black one. :D

philboo
27-04-2015, 09:44 AM
I drove three NSXs on Sunday and I've put my comments about the whole experience in the General Discussion thread.