PDA

View Full Version : Water pump belt tensioner!

Diesse 19
21-03-2015, 03:45 PM
Hi all,
There seems to be a whirring sound coming from the area of the tensioner pulley of the belt that drives

the water pump .Does anyone know the best place to get one from and roughly the cost

Pete

Kaz-kzukNA1
21-03-2015, 04:33 PM
[Diesse 19, I merged the same post that you posted in Wanted forum to the one you posted here in the Technical section.]

Probably you meant the A/C belt tensioner as the WP (Water Pump) is driven directly by the TB (Timing Belt).
Or, if the TB mid front and rear covers are of old spec, they got warped and allowing the TB or cam pulley to hit inside causing the noise. Quite often, you will hear it when the engine was just started from cold. It tends to disappear once engine gets hot.
It can also generate noise if the TB is loose and again, tends to disappear once warmed up.

There is indeed a TB tension adjuster pulley just below the WP.
If you are sure the noise is coming from this tensioner (or the WP itself), I'm afraid the bearing might have gone. I do hope the TB belt tensioner and the WP were replaced during the last TB service.
If you need to replace these, I'm afraid you will need to remove the TB so almost the same amount of task carrying out the TB service with engine inside the bay.

Most of the time, the noise from this area is coming from the A/C belt tensioner. You can replace the whole pulley with new parts from Honda or if you can find local bearing shop, just punch out the bearing from the pulley and replace just the bearing.

NTN 6203LLU.
Make sure to use LLU.

It’s very cheap in Japan but not sure in UK so please compare the price of the pulley from Honda against the price just replacing the bearing.

Kaz

Diesse 19
21-03-2015, 04:54 PM
Thanks very much for that Kaz, yes it must be the ac belt tensioner then. its the one you can see looking down past the alternator with what looks like a vertical long adjusting nut.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is LLU?

Pete

Kaz-kzukNA1
22-03-2015, 10:29 AM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qYECNUVYgGA/VQ3nqKW-OxI/AAAAAAAAYRA/w16W8weiJ1Q/s640/DSC_0314-001.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-MR-kwyTJhFs/VQ3nrOm3ivI/AAAAAAAAYRc/3MzpM-Fe9vc/s640/DSC_0330-001.jpg
When I first read your reply, initially I thought we were talking about different things but as you stated that it’s a vertical adjusting nut, it is indeed the A/C belt tension adjuster.

The NTN bearing is housed inside the A/C idle pulley.
The LLU is the part no. symbol for the spec of the bearing. There are lots and lots of different spec (exposed, concealed, contact, non-contact, etc) even if the external/internal diameter are the same.

If you want to simply replace the whole pulley including the NTN bearing, then it’s 38942-PR7-A00. Same for all models.
For some reason, it's quite expensive even in US. About GBP50 even before leaving US. Better than Honda UK though as you will be looking at about GBP100!!

If you are DIY person, then just replace the NTN bearing with the parts no. 6203LLU.

Kaz

Diesse 19
22-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Fantastic, thanks for that Kaz,

Quite correct it is indeed the A/C idle pulley where the noise seems to come from.

As usual, excellent relevant and easy to understand advice with pics and part numbers!

Many thanks, Pete