PDA

View Full Version : £20,000 to spend, any words of widom????

YGB
25-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Hi
I'm new to this forum, but assume it has its fair share of resident experts. Owing to a fortunate increase in my financial situation, by mid July I will have approximately (including the likely sale price of my current Supra) £20,000 and have decided to indulge myself by using it to get my next car.

My shortlist so far is as follows:

NSX (ie. early 90's)(no.28 in FHM's 50 greatest men cars of all time 'it made the Ferrari 348 look like the poorly made fraud it truly was')Porsche boxster (ie. late 90's)
Porsche 911 (993) (ie. 1994 ish)
Ferrari 348 (left hand drive, ie. 1991-2)
(another, later) Supra (ie. 2000)

However, I don't seem to be able to obtain that much info about the NSX ie. dimensions etc

I do understand that the 0-60 isn't 'mind blowing', but the car is generally considered by 'people who know' to be a worthy supercar.

Can anybody refer me to any links for buyers guides, road tests, reliability/maintenance info etc as right now the NSX seems the most probable (though this does change on a daily basis)... :roll:

BrownBear
26-05-2004, 08:44 AM
Hi - and welcome to the Forum :)

The best source of NSX info on the web is at
http://www.nsxprime.com

If you go to the FAQ section, this has pretty much everything you'd wish to know...

A word of caution, though. If you're careful you could *just* get a bargain NSX for 20K or so, but you need to get fussy - a 14 year old NSX can be just like any 14 year old car (except for rust!) - check for Service History and accident damage - they're expensive when they go wrong :(

Best of luck in your search - once you drive one you begin to understand why everyone raves!

Cheers
Joe

Welshman
26-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Wouldn't waste time with a 348. Not that nice to look at and the NSX is the reason it had such a short shelf life before they brought in the 355.

Porsche Boxster - only worth getting if it's a Boxster S. The 2.5s and 2.7s are nothing to write home about and a lot more money than an S2000 which is a cracking sports car.

911 is a fine car by all accounts although the styling and interior in particular don't do it for me.

Brooklands Books have published "Acura-Honda NSX Performance Portfolio" which contains reprints of just about every road test published.

What about a Nissan 300ZX?

david_f
08-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi
I'm new to this forum, but assume it has its fair share of resident experts. Owing to a fortunate increase in my financial situation, by mid July I will have approximately (including the likely sale price of my current Supra) £20,000 and have decided to indulge myself by using it to get my next car.

My shortlist so far is as follows:

NSX (ie. early 90's)(no.28 in FHM's 50 greatest men cars of all time 'it made the Ferrari 348 look like the poorly made fraud it truly was')Porsche boxster (ie. late 90's)
Porsche 911 (993) (ie. 1994 ish)
Ferrari 348 (left hand drive, ie. 1991-2)
(another, later) Supra (ie. 2000)

However, I don't seem to be able to obtain that much info about the NSX ie. dimensions etc

I do understand that the 0-60 isn't 'mind blowing', but the car is generally considered by 'people who know' to be a worthy supercar.

Can anybody refer me to any links for buyers guides, road tests, reliability/maintenance info etc as right now the NSX seems the most probable (though this does change on a daily basis)... :roll:

Well, for what it's worth, I'll share my experiences with you. I've owned a 944 Turbo, DB7 V12, M3 SMG II ++ and recently bought a late 2000 NSX for track days. I took it to Snetterton with a pro driver and we wiped the floor with everything there (including Elises, Caterhams, EVOs, etc) - and all in showroom spec! The NSX is phenomenal. All you'll need to do is fit harder pads (for track days, e.g. Ferodo DS2500), high quality brake fluid (e.g. dot 5.1) and Mobil 1 engine oil (e.g. 15-50). You won't need big wheels or bigger brakes. The only other thing you’ll want is a louder exhaust to release more of that lovely noise. Believe me, the 911 is just a brand after the NSX. Good luck!

welshdragon
13-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Buy a NSX I am still missing mine :cry:

I drove a 348 around oulton recently was very disappointed
As Welshman said the Boxster needs to be a 3.2S. 911s are a great car but very common.
Supra are great as you know
But as David_F said the NSX will hold it's own on most circuits.
Use Castrol SRF Fluid and better pads I also removed my stone guards to get more cool air to my brakes :)

See my previous posts with video's of some of my trackdays with the NSX 1

Every porsche driver who I have taken out on track were also impressed with the NSX and some of the top drivers drove mine and where never disappointed.

UltraViolet
19-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Used Car Buyer magazine has the buyers guide feature in the next issue.

(Had a V8 Lotus Esprite guide this week - tasty! Shame about reliability)