PDA

View Full Version : NSX bubble!

Silver Surfer
12-03-2015, 12:34 AM
All good for current owners.....
Davemat's ex-car is now for sale at a amazing £45K on PH....bejezus!! ....for a 1995 NA1..that's a minimum of £20K uplift in 2 years!
I will sit and watch to see if it sells.

SS

Mistercorn
12-03-2015, 05:25 AM
I noticed that. I can't help thinking it is is somewhat optimistic. If it had been priced at £40k I would have thought it strong money. Just trying the market I guess.

MC

Crockefeller
12-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Will be interesting to see what happens. The car referred to looks to be decent but the strongest money usually goes for originality.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that the buyers of "classic NSXs" are a little different from the Porsce, Ferrari, Lamborghini crowd. It hasn't got the right name for the investment buyers and tends to be appreciated by people who want a great usable classic. Basically, people who want an NSX get an NSX. People who want a classic as an investment go for one of the default choices and have a number of models to choose from.

Everyone has an opinion on whether a classic car bubble is forming but if it is, and it pops, the worst hit will be the more mainstream cars that were dragged up by the better cars within their marque above them. Honda doesn't have a better car and people haven't bought an NSX because they can no longer afford a Honda XYZ.

One final point to end my essay :)
There is quite a big price gap between early and late cars. There's no real reason (based on the car itself) for this gap. The market obviously says the late cars are worth more because of supply and demand factors but eventually as the car gets a little older, the gap should close.

That's my uneducated opinion anyway!

mjames75
12-03-2015, 09:54 PM
Guys, I know of 3 car collectors who have an Nsx amongst their other cars including carrera gt's, F1's and gt3 rs! alot of Nsx owners seem to not see past the badge themself! Nsx is a great car....

Problem Child
12-03-2015, 10:13 PM
Guys, I know of 3 car collectors who have an Nsx amongst their other cars including carrera gt's, F1's and gt3 rs! alot of Nsx owners seem to not see past the badge themself! Nsx is a great car....

Someone ought to email details to Quentin Wilson...only if it has a forensic service history though!!!

Pride
12-03-2015, 10:17 PM
Someone ought to email details to Quentin Wilson...only if it has a forensic service history though!!!

So that means he probably will never find one then.:)

Crockefeller
17-03-2015, 03:45 PM
It's disappeared from what I can see. Sold or removed?

Silver Surfer
17-03-2015, 10:05 PM
5 NSXs for sale at Plans Motorsport....they are helping to keep the bubble alive.

SS

Rash
29-03-2015, 12:13 PM
I sold my 97 Green manual 3.0 in March 2013. I saw it advertised a couple of months ago for £14k MORE than I sold it for at a garage. It was sold within 2 weeks of being advertised...!

All great news for current owners IMO.

Pride
29-03-2015, 03:03 PM
I sold my 97 Green manual 3.0 in March 2013. I saw it advertised a couple of months ago for £14k MORE than I sold it for at a garage. It was sold within 2 weeks of being advertised...!

All great news for current owners IMO.

The last and worse thing any NSX owner can do is to trade in or sell on to a car dealer or garage if you want to get back your cars true value/worth, unless that is you need to move it on quickly, but what a waste.:(

I know a few car dealers who would be prepared to sell an NSX on an agreed commission basis with the owner, but not normally main dealers, they tend to want BIG profits as run of the mill Honda models never normally give that.:)

soddy
29-03-2015, 11:56 PM
i had a look at that plan's performance site and all their nsx's.
seen a few nice ones, they have a 92 sebring silver with some type r bits, springs etc.

anyone know anything about this car? i quite liked it and not a bad price for a manual, dunno the mileage.
was wondering why it is advertised at £26000?

nobby
30-03-2015, 09:07 AM
discussed before ... no one i believe has issues with it ... only reason of price is the mods done ... not to everyone's taste
worth checking out

AR
30-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Discussed at length and it was Darren's track car( ctrlaltdelboy ). It should be noted, that the car had a replacement engine as the original threw a rod. there was a lot of pictures of it here but they were lost on one of the servers change.

NSXGB
30-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Discussed at length and it was Darren's track car( ctrlaltdelboy ). It should be noted, that the car had a replacement engine as the original threw a rod. there was a lot of pictures of it here but they were lost on one of the servers change.

The pics are still there.

AR
30-03-2015, 05:07 PM
The pics are still there.

The whole lot? There was an built thread but can't seem to find it.

NSXGB
30-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Do an advanced search in his user ID and engine, you only get about 3 hits.

nobby
30-03-2015, 07:22 PM
i stand corrected!

:)

AR
30-03-2015, 07:29 PM
A quick search on nsxprime:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/15897-Engine-wanted

Hi

I have gone for the 47K miler at a cost of £2625 delivered. this is on an exchange basis and the supplier will be collecting the damaged engine once I have completed the swap so no spare bits i'm afraid

should be back on the road by May 10th

soddy
31-03-2015, 02:16 AM
so it got an engine with 47k? well that sounds good does it not?
sorry i know very little about nsx engines and found it a bit strange that the other one went like it did, as vtec engines are always so reliable.

just wondering why a manual was at that price as they have all shot up in price.

NSXGB
31-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Obviously for the prospective buyer to ascertain but I believe that the air con was totally removed, along with the Bose sound system so may be some negative points affecting the price.

manisandher
01-04-2015, 12:51 PM
5 NSXs for sale at Plans Motorsport....they are helping to keep the bubble alive.

Plans seems to advertise cars on PH that are actually long gone. I suppose it must be in order to entice people to phone through with an enquiry.

Mani.

Pride
01-04-2015, 01:19 PM
Plans seems to advertise cars on PH that are actually long gone. I suppose it must be in order to entice people to phone through with an enquiry.

Mani.

That old chestnut.
Good old fashioned car dealer carrot.:)

AR
01-04-2015, 01:20 PM
so it got an engine with 47k? well that sounds good does it not?
sorry i know very little about nsx engines and found it a bit strange that the other one went like it did, as vtec engines are always so reliable.

just wondering why a manual was at that price as they have all shot up in price.

I think that that car falls into the modified category, sadly regardless of amounts of money spent modified cars rarely achieve a return on mods. Hence why so many people break some cars or return them to stock. Too many mods for purist and "investors" shy away from unoriginal cars. Just look at the modified and converted cars prices in Japan. Most people will not mind a few minor mods ( exhaust, headers, intake ) or some cosmetics ( NSX-R wings, etc. ) , but SC, FI, widebody and 02 plus conversions hardly "increase" the value by the amount they cost. After all modified cars are unique and that in itself limits the market.

soddy
01-04-2015, 08:36 PM
mmm i see. i suppose restoring air con is expensive and tricky sourcing parts?
just manuals have gone up so much of late. tough getting something under 30k.

nobby
02-04-2015, 06:57 PM
I had to re do mine and it was a pain sourcing an evap unit. It's an expensive part but based on the price you pay for the car you are saving a few quid in order to purchase. Compressors can be easier to source but pricey as well. Presuming all the pipe works have gone too you can see why car is discounted. I was certainly out a few £££'s sorting my car out after purchase

massive weight saving in the car if kept out though

TheSebringOne
02-04-2015, 09:58 PM
JB's old car, but the price wow !?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/2004-honda-nsx-3-2l-v6-fantastic-condition/3915187

WhyOne?
02-04-2015, 10:19 PM
Far be it for me to talk down NSX prices, but I cant help but feel that is quite ambitious!

Still, if you don't ask!

Hagasan
02-04-2015, 10:33 PM
"With the new NSX expected to arrive in 2016 now is the time to purchase and own the original before prices rise"

Great idea! I'll buy one at this end of the market just in case I can't find a cheap one anymore lol...

We are still on the third planet orbiting the sun aren't we? Did the Eclipse change something?

mjames75
02-04-2015, 11:10 PM
some nsx owners make me laugh. When a 991 gt3 goes up by 50k overnight the owners don't go online and laugh....don't do yourselves any favours

Hagasan
03-04-2015, 06:57 AM
some nsx owners make me laugh. When a 991 gt3 goes up by 50k overnight the owners don't go online and laugh....don't do yourselves any favours

That's just it though, for a laugh. Just as I don't think one random owners quote is going to influence the market in any great way I hardly think my tongue in cheek retort will deflate it either...

I had a 964rs in the past, four Integrale Evo's and a few others that shot up in value. Much as I tried to tell everyone how amazing the prices were they were the buying public so just ignored me and bought anyway.. Again tongue in cheek :)

mjames75
03-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Its just quite funny. Its like some owners don't believe the Nsx is worth anything. I certainly don't feel like a GT3 rs 4.0 is worth 350k but it is..What is the Market? Well....the owners dictate it and dealers often follow? Does it work? yes! cause people buy! If everyone put an Nsx at a higher value there would he no choice. Everyone laughed when Andys silver targa with 7k miles on was up for 65k. It then sold for 88k!
Hagasan, my comment wasn't directed at you, just something I have noticed on the nsx forum over the years.Negativety and sour grapes from ex owners too.

Hagasan
03-04-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't take it seriously at all. Of course it's great if the values go up.. I just thought the guys comment in his ad was amusing trying to nudge the punters.

Pride
03-04-2015, 10:59 AM
Its just quite funny. Its like some owners don't believe the Nsx is worth anything. I certainly don't feel like a GT3 rs 4.0 is worth 350k but it is..What is the Market? Well....the owners dictate it and dealers often follow? Does it work? yes! cause people buy! If everyone put an Nsx at a higher value there would he no choice. Everyone laughed when Andys silver targa with 7k miles on was up for 65k. It then sold for 88k!
Hagasan, my comment wasn't directed at you, just something I have noticed on the nsx forum over the years.Negativety and sour grapes from ex owners too.

Well said mjames, every NSX owner I'm sure highly values their machine, but what is even more refreshing also is most, if not all, love any excuse to put some mileage on the clock because it's the sort of car that makes you feel special both as a driver and in the knowledge of how iconic and rare this car really is.

Actually the GT3rs isn't worth £350k .......but what made it worth £350k is the Porsche forum and owners, they dictated its value through lack of availability over demand and I'm sure we are under selling NSX's, so now as a forum/club we can all change this collectively if we we wished, as you say, if you don't ask you don't get.

havoc
03-04-2015, 11:34 AM
I'm going to sit on the fence and say everyone has a point here...

- Gary's spot-on - these cars AREN'T worth that money...
- ...any more/less than any other car in what is clearly a classic-car bubble. So if the market will pay that right now, then play on if you're so inclined...

To me the two more important questions are:-
- Why is it just facelift NA2s which are going stratospheric - not seen a pop-up NA2 top 50k yet, nor an NA1 35k unless I've missed a mint low-mile early car somewhere. And we all know the changes were evolutionary not revolutionary. If I had the money I'd be looking at a pop-up NA2, ideally targa, because that's probably where the biggest value-increase is going to hit next...if anywhere.
- At what point will the bubble end? Because it will...the NSX and similar cars are being 'dragged up' by the telephone numbers being paid for certain cars and the knock-on effect all down the food chain - it's investors driving this not owner-drivers*. Once the investment market gets cold-feet it'll start unravelling, like it did last time. My guess it'll be a little while yet** and won't be as big a crash as it was before, but I'd be stunned if these prices are 'permanent'...

Ref. Pork - they're at a different level of the market because of the 'brand' heritage and the (European) motorsport success - even with >10x the numbers available, cooking 993's are still more money, like-for-like, than an NSX. (Edit: Which tells me that a cooking, non-investment grade NSX is still a good buy as an ownership proposition...)

* An owner-driver market is a lot more stable (and boring) than an investor-speculator market, let's be honest...

** Unless Russia kicks-off militarily or the Chinese economy comes unstuck.

AR
03-04-2015, 11:35 AM
NSX prices discussed at length by some very respectable members of NSX Prime, if you got the time and popcorn:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/171093-Insane-markups-on-local-Craigslist-ads

nobby
03-04-2015, 11:46 AM
i just love getting out and driving mine ... just back on the road from wednesday there for this season. did not care about the pi$$ weather it was great to get out and drive again.

its great to see people's reactions when they see it ... pedestrians stop and stare, had white van blokes getting their cameras out and video'ing. horn blows from people who actually know about cars. local forums comments include "such a road presence", "wow look how low it is" etc

who cares what its worth get out and drive it like it was built for!!
ENJOY ... your a long time dead and no point being the richest in the grave yard

AR
03-04-2015, 11:57 AM
Well said nobby!

mjames75
03-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Just funny that an Nsx owner cries when prices rise. Surely comments on for sale ads shouldn't be allowed anyway. Any potential buyers will probably visit nsxcb....great way to start ownership

AR
03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
I think that comments on for sale ads are already verboten on this forum.

It is only in recent years when the mere talk of the provenance of any NSX or its price, has been a polarizing issue and reason enough to bullishly shun the offenders.

Hagasan
03-04-2015, 06:09 PM
I think that comments on for sale ads are already verboten on this forum.

It is only in recent years when the mere talk of the provenance of any NSX or its price, has been a polarizing issue and reason enough to bullishly shun the offenders.

Being pedantic, the car in the ad recently commented on is not actually being advertised on the forum by its owner. He's getting free publicity from "our" membership.. He should be grateful ;)

goldtop
03-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Those who (claim to be) annoyed or concerned by a bubble have a very logical option available: sell your NSX. Go on, do it. When enough of you do, you'll deflate the bubble. And then you can buy again when the cars are much cheaper. You'll be quids in.

Of course, if a significant part of the reason that NSXs are going up in price is that their underlying quality and rarity is only now being realised by the market, this technique will not work.

So, are you doubters going to put your money where your mouth is? ;)

nobby
03-04-2015, 07:21 PM
wow the bubble has hit the 100k mark almost!

see ph ... nice car would love it!

Senninha
03-04-2015, 09:35 PM
I enjoy mine, drive it in all weathers, give it a wax occasionally but do pay attention to maintenance, both regular and preventative.

Is the NA2 pop-up the next mover in ££, I dont know, and dont care as no plans to pass the NSX on to anyone else just yet .... besides, I'm on my way to my 10th anniversary and sure there are more to come ...

Ref the PH car ... if he gets the asking price then well done ... but I'd rather have mjames' fully refurbed yellow one with JB's actual autograph and keep £50k+ in the bank!!

nobby
03-04-2015, 11:44 PM
VeRy true Paul ... With you there! :)

AR
03-04-2015, 11:56 PM
So set the wolves free then LOL!

flyingsniffer
04-04-2015, 10:07 AM
I normally steer clear of pricing debates on here as I personally think they are utterly pointless.

The owner is a forumite and clearly chose not to make his decision to sell public on here. I can entirely sympathise! (BTW it's not me and I met the bloke once).

Don't let's confuse price and value. I read that some bloke in Gaza (or somewhere like that ) sold a piece of wall from a broken building for £118. Genius. However because it was covered in graffiti it was allegedly worth a lot more. Says who? The market, apparently.

It's the same with pricing NSXs. If the forum community continually scoff the prices being asked, prices will always stay the same. Now that might be a good thing, but it's up to us to choose, to an extent. But certainly we shouldn't listen to ex-owners.

Crockefeller
04-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Markets are markets, supply and demand sorts the price out.

I can understand that people don't care the value of their car has gone up because they bought it to drive and aren't going to sell. However, saying that NSXs are overpriced and in a bubble is a bit daft IMO.

Whilst some people believe that the classic car market is in a bubble, others just think it's an upward trend that can continue for a good while yet. The point is that WITHIN the classic car market NSX are, if anything, undervalued. There's some absolute cr@p about that's "worth" way more than the NSX.

Whilst the overall market remains as it is NSX prices will continue to rise, and rightly so.

goldnsx
04-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Did the prices raise in general for NSXs or is the perception driven by some very few NSXs? What you see is the asking price and how fast it must have sold. But you don't see the paid prices which can be lower. On continental Europe there's no bubble. A single dreamer doesn't make a bubble. Maybe Japan is driving the UK markt. Huhu, Japanese, we have some nice LHD too! :)

mjames75
04-04-2015, 01:15 PM
Some of the comments really amuse me. This whole thread is a joke considering its on a forum with people that mostly own these cars. Most people are forgetting to add 'in my opinion' before their comments. There are some good points, but seriously,I am on another forum and Nsx owners get laughed at with all the talk of 'the market'

Mistercorn
04-04-2015, 01:20 PM
I am on a 911 and CSL forum as well as here. This place is no worse than the others.

MC

NoelWatson
04-04-2015, 01:21 PM
- Why is it just facelift NA2s which are going stratospheric

I thought it was just 2004 LBBs that are rocketing in value

mjames75
04-04-2015, 01:31 PM
I give up....

Senninha
04-04-2015, 03:44 PM
I give up....

I'm with you ....

soddy
04-04-2015, 06:49 PM
i just love getting out and driving mine ... just back on the road from wednesday there for this season. did not care about the pi$$ weather it was great to get out and drive again.

its great to see people's reactions when they see it ... pedestrians stop and stare, had white van blokes getting their cameras out and video'ing. horn blows from people who actually know about cars. local forums comments include "such a road presence", "wow look how low it is" etc

who cares what its worth get out and drive it like it was built for!!
ENJOY ... your a long time dead and no point being the richest in the grave yard

it is enjoyable that people appreciate the nsx for what it is and genuinely enjoy seeing people keeping such cars on the road.
makes a change seeing something nice, be it an nsx, ferrari, aston martin or rx7/8 in a nice colour out and about.

we all get a thrill seeing a nice car passing us on the road, seen a nice ferrari on the motorway last week.

yes people should be out enjoying their cars rather than the prices. it's only good if the price goes up, if you are selling and you're not
here forever so if you have been fortunate to have got an nsx then why not enjoy it especially if you spend your hard earned cash
buying it and maintaining it to your liking rather than sit in a garage and going nowhere.

it's the price rises that ruin it for those who want to enjoy the car and it's now a case of money vs enjoying the car.

havoc
04-04-2015, 08:01 PM
it's the price rises that ruin it for those who want to enjoy the car and it's now a case of money vs enjoying the car.

e.g. Dickie Meaden and his 964 RS...
...thankfully most of us aren't facing that conundrum...I've got a leggy blonde that'll never be worth £100k, so I'm quite happy enjoying her! ;)

(Also agree with the rest of your post - cars are for driving, regardless of 'price'...)

So I also think the earlier price / value comment is accurate (for the classic car market as a whole right now - look at Mk1/2 RS-spec Escorts, FFS!) As is the comment ref. 911 and CSL fora. I stand by my comment about investors vs owner/drivers - I'll wager a number of the recently-sold facelifts are going into 'collections' and (sadly) won't see regular mileage.

Mike/Paul etc - yes there's a lot of speculation on here, but little actual denigration of the car's place in the market...and besides, we're not going to influence the market much on this forum - a lot of sellers will look at what's gone before and probably push a little bit, sellers with something special will push a lot and see what happens, and sellers who don't realise what they've got will do what they've always done and sell it to the first trader who comes along with a cash offer. Plus ca change...

soddy
04-04-2015, 08:37 PM
e.g. Dickie Meaden and his 964 RS...
...thankfully most of us aren't facing that conundrum...I've got a leggy blonde that'll never be worth £100k, so I'm quite happy enjoying her! ;)

lol made me laugh this.

i sometimes watch chasing classic cars the USA show and in one episode a collector (owner of yankee candle) who had lines of lambos, porsches and astons had a maserati which was not being 'enjoyed' as the owner said and wanted it sold to someone who would. it failed the california emissions so couldn't be sold to anyone there. but even collectors appreciate that some cars should not be forced into 'museum collections' and be left there for the rest of their days.

but if you could buy a na1 for the price of a new family saloon fully loaded, ie £22-£26000 then it would be a very good deal.
the only thing that concerns me is what work you have to then do to get it to what it was. things like no air con wouldn't be a big deal, as have a little classic mazda with air con but it was designed for the older gas and so needs all the seals done up for the newer gas, but i do without.

how many of nsx that dealers buy in and charge alot more actually sell them as quick if they want to make money.

britlude
04-04-2015, 09:59 PM
i'll just put these here, from the Goodwood member meet auction..... the NSX is still a bargain!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/p600x600/10857375_10205363416177915_1057628307150620914_o.j pg
£29,900 plus premium and vat

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/p600x600/10497417_10205363411577800_4530398744430291723_o.j pg
£32,200 hammer price

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/p600x600/10848678_10205363420218016_125626569969594414_o.jp g
£85,500 for a mk2 escort!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/p600x600/11080812_10205363414377870_7590125365110500695_o.j pg

£287,100!!!!!!!!

nobby
04-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Any NSX is worth more than any of those cars on those pics, but the market does not recognise Japanese cars like the European stuff.

IMHO we should all get out in our cars and drive and give the big finger to the market!

Mistercorn
05-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Any NSX is worth more than any of those cars on those pics, but the market does not recognise Japanese cars like the European stuff.

IMHO we should all get out in our cars and drive and give the big finger to the market!

I thought we were.
MC

Senninha
05-04-2015, 03:19 PM
i'll just put these here, from the Goodwood member meet auction..... the NSX is still a bargain!

The Ford Escort market has gone completely nuts IMHO, no longetr are they or Mini's a fun affordable way to a bit of historic UK motoring.

The Audi is a bonkers cars, looks absolutely bizarre when driven in anger, and its one of these that shares a nice warm garage with the NA2-R ...

Maybe if we all drive the NSX more and puts loads of fun miles on them and our faces no one will be interested in them and value discussions will become a thing of the past, and we actually get some dialogue on this forum other than "have you seen how much Jo Bloggs wants for his XYZ version "

:rolleyes: