PDA

View Full Version : What's this worth, then?

keith2874
16-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and have a question for you all!

I MAY have the opportunity to buy a 1991 NSX in red which has been owned by my best friends father in law since it was new. It is pristine throughout, having only done 8000 miles from new. It really is totally unmarked throughout, and looks and smells like a brand new car.

It has never had any accident damage or paint. It is 100% as it left the factory, with all MOT's to support the mileage.

In recent years the only mileage it has done is it's annual visit to the MOT testing station and back, so I imagine if I were to buy it, it would require a major service and belts plus tyres possibly.

What do you think is a sensible price to offer for the car if I can persuade him to sell it?

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Keith

Papalazarou
16-05-2006, 06:33 PM
I'd say a lot, but wouldn't like to put a value on it.

It must be an anomoly having that car with so few miles on it.

I mean, do you use it as was intended thus devaluing it, or do you put it away somewhere and wait for the fossil fuels to run out, which is aparently due within the next 30-40 years!
I say, buy it and use it........unless anyone's found a way of transporting it to the afterlife! and I don't mean Torquay or Bournmouth! :twisted:

James.

Mr_Spanners
16-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Hi Keith - Welcome to the Forum!

The NSX sounds like an amazing find but personally I'd be wary of a car that's done a mere 500 miles a year - cars (as a rule) need to be driven and long periods of storage aren't particularly a good thing.

If you're buying the car I would recommend getting the cambelt changed immediately and the water pump inspected at the same time. Also the solonoid in the ABS pump is likely to be stuck solid and that may need attention? Other issues may include seized suspension components (such as caster\camber adjusters) and also tired\collapsed coolant hoses (a quick squeeze of the larger hoses should prove\disprove this theory!)

Needless to say this car will bring a premium over and above examples of the same age but such a low mileage example may not necessarily be such a good thing! (sorry to be Mr Negative!!!)

~Phil.

keith2874
16-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I was thinking that the car will probably need up to £3k spending on it to fully service and recommision it. I intend to use it rather than look at it and polish it with my old pants occasionally!
I agree that low mileage cars are not always the best bet -the reason why I'm keen on this car is not so much the mileage but because I know its history.

I was thinking along the lines of 15-17k for it. What are your views?

Regards

Keith

blue5
16-05-2006, 09:54 PM
sounds like a bargain.

£3k is a bit high unless there is somthing amiss somewhere.

I wish you luck, a car like that would be snapped up in a flash.

simonprelude
16-05-2006, 09:56 PM
If they will take that price then yes (subject to an inspection by an NSX approved dealer) however if you intend to drive it then I would be tempted to go for an NSX that is already a daily driver.

The main problem with cars that are not driven much is when someone does drive them a lot. They are not used to it, you would really need to look at running the car in from scratch. AND expect to budget for parts either seizing or breaking through the fact that they haven't been used.

Also is you are going to drive it lots then it is almost a shame to do that to a low mileage car.

But at £15k - £17k then that is not much over the price of an average mileage A1 car.

Don't forget to check the car to see if it is in the snap ring range.

Mr_Spanners
16-05-2006, 10:15 PM
I think somewhere between £15-£16 is 'about right' - if the car proves to be reliable and requires little financial outlay then you've bagged a bargain BUT by taking on such a low mileage car you're also taking on a potentially huge risk (I'm sure you know about the cost of NSX parts!!!)

Good luck with the purchase!!!

~Phil.

kevinpsw
17-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I seriously considered a LHD car just like the one you describe. It's details are elsewhere on this site.

This car was in the snap ring range but I was still prepared to go to £15k with the expectation of having to spend at least another £2k on a major service and preventative work on the gearbox. Unfortunately, the owner was unwilling to go much below an asking price of £18k. In addition, my wife made clear that she was not keen on driving a LHD!

Assuming that the car passes an inspection by an NSX mechanic that and everything works ok, including the climate control (note that a 91 car would use the old type of refridgerant and regassing might not necessarily correct a fault), I would have thought that anything less than £20k for a RHD in that condition would be a bargain.