PDA

View Full Version : Honda s2000 test drive

jaytip
23-05-2004, 08:43 PM
i took a s2000 for a test drive today and i must say i was HUGELY disappointed(sorry s2000 owners).
i really thought the car would have more pull in it given that it has nearly 240 bhp.the ride in it was nice, it felt rock solid and the wind buffeting at around 90mph was very little.but i kept waiting for the thump in the back at 5700 rpm and it just wasn't happening.yes it did pick up at those revs but i didn't get the shove in the back that i used to get out of my 2.2 prelude.the car i drove only had 4000 miles on the clock so i dont know if that would make any difference or not.
i was contemplating moving my NSX on and getting a s2000 for some summer fun, but i will definatly be holding on to my NSX now,especially as the Honda dealer i went to offered me a paltry £8000 for my car(i have spent that amount on modifying it!!).
i was very supprised at the difference in acceleration between the two cars yet on paper they are quite close.
oh well i guess i will have to open up a targa fund and start saving.anyone letting a 3.2 targa go in the next year or so (at a good price of course :D) ,let me know.
Ivor

UltraViolet
24-05-2004, 12:07 PM
£8,000 ????? Is that a mis-type????? :shock: :roll:

jaytip
24-05-2004, 12:23 PM
no mis-type.thats the insulting figure that i was offered for this car

Welshman
24-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Ifor

You are right. You don't get a distinct shove when the VTEC kicks in on the S2000, unlike a 3.0l NSX. It's fair to say that the VTEC kick in isn't as marked in a 3.2l NSX. Also as you note, the stats indicate that with the exception of top speed the S2000 is only fractionally behind a 3.0l NSX in terms of power to weight, but the fact is that a 3.0l NSX is a lot quicker car than an S2000 especially at higher speeds. and the 3.2l is a lot lot quicker.

The S2000 has a lot less torque but you need to use the gearbox more, and the gearbox is lovely. Suggest you have another test drive. I loved my S2000 and if I won the lottery I'd buy another tomorrow.

Kevin
24-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Interesting to know how much the dealer would try and sell your car for. Did they look it up in a book?

I still see 92 NSXs going for as much now as I paid for mine 5 years ago. They either don't know NSXs, or don't think they could sell it.

jaytip
24-05-2004, 09:18 PM
they told me that if my car was a 92 with 97000 miles and only three owners with the original colour, then they would have given me £12500.
i told my better half on the way to the dealers that they would offer me peanuts for my car because it has 112000miles on it and i am the 7th owner plus the fact the car has had a respray in a different(non honda)colour.

UltraViolet
25-05-2004, 10:52 AM
£12,500 is still insulting IMO.

Cheapest NSX I have personally seen was £17k but it was rather 'tired'.

I do know someone who is buying one currently for only £12k but it is a left hooker.

Incidentally - aside from the obvious - are there any differences between the LHD and RHD versions? I ask as he has a written off RHD and is planning on swapping bits over to convert into RHD.

Kevin
25-05-2004, 05:10 PM
There are lots of differences. It seems as though Honda made mirror images of lots of parts to make the LHD car.

The ALB system, brake servo, even the fuse boxes under the front are opposites to the RHD. Engine in same place. The left and right sides of the cabin are actually different widths, because of the dash. You won't notice unless you start taking the car apart. If you look at your seats you will find the left and right are different too. So the LHD seats are different to RHD seats.

Simply put, very very expensive to change everything, and do it properly.

Nick Graves
09-07-2004, 04:03 PM
£8K!

:shock:

I know dealers can get scared by non-standard bits, but that's crazy.

At that rate, I might start a collection!

Oh damn - garage too small.

Oh - S2Ks - Don't forget that they are less than 1/2 the price of an NSX and are less than 2/3 the capacity and are made of steel and iron and stuff. The car therefore isn't comparable, really.

They develop roughly the same power (licence taken!) so are a bit more peaky, to say the least. It must be thrashed to the redline to get real performance. The suspension is harder and the handling less than forgiving, so concentration is required at all times.

In conclusion, it is very very addictive!

The NSX is a great, communicative on the limit handler (sorry Damian!) and far more able as a GT/tourer. It is easier to drive in traffic too. And crushingly faster, in spite of the paper.

I hope this makes it clearer why one must ideally have BOTH cars in the garage.

Welshman
09-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Nick a 3.2 Coupe and an S2000 is indeed the way forward :D

DamianW
09-07-2004, 04:30 PM
The NSX is a great, communicative on the limit handler (sorry Damian!) and far more able as a GT/tourer.

Shouldn't worry, its second hand and was sat on a forecourt a few months, so have to assume its seen a few test pilots. The car ought to be able to stand anything road use can throw at it. It was a pretty good deal for a 2 1/2 year old car ...

Nick Graves
09-07-2004, 05:16 PM
The NSX is a great, communicative on the limit handler (sorry Damian!) and far more able as a GT/tourer.

It was a pretty good deal for a 2 1/2 year old car ...

Don't remind me :(