PDA

View Full Version : An insight into the 2015 NSX design...

goldtop
12-01-2015, 11:38 AM
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-0111-hy-nsx-designer-20150111-story.html#page=1

Not much 'meat' to the article. But the good news is that two sets of golf clubs for the boot were a requirement!

L696ULO
12-01-2015, 02:10 PM
It says two carry-on bags or one set of golf clubs. Not exactly going forward I can get two sets of golf clubs in mine!

Hagasan
12-01-2015, 03:42 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-0111-hy-nsx-designer-20150111-story.html#page=1

Not much 'meat' to the article. But the good news is that two sets of golf clubs for the boot were a requirement!

Nope, not much meat but the totty isn't too bad! Is this an advert for the car or Michelle Christensen? I can't afford the new car and she's spoken for already... Oh well...

britlude
12-01-2015, 05:21 PM
live (well was live when it was live) reveal at Detroit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dup2vCGey4

britlude
12-01-2015, 05:57 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/Meeyatch1/NSX%20Press%20Day%201-12-15/7B3ACF94-54C5-4988-B408-C858D7C92B18_zpsbqc82adi.jpg

should please Pride.....

though personally I HATE all black/dark rims!!!

Pride
12-01-2015, 06:11 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/Meeyatch1/NSX%20Press%20Day%201-12-15/7B3ACF94-54C5-4988-B408-C858D7C92B18_zpsbqc82adi.jpg

should please Pride.....

though personally I HATE all black/dark rims!!!

WOW! You're not wrong.
Now that's what I call stopping power Britlude, they've even left a blank canvas for you to spray the wheels and beefy callipers in Charlotte green.:)

Dragonlady
12-01-2015, 06:56 PM
No, his wheels are red.
And where the hell do you fit a front number plate?????, those bl@@dy designers strike again!

Pride
12-01-2015, 07:02 PM
No, his wheels are red.
And where the hell do you fit a front number plate?????, those bl@@dy designers strike again!

I know it's not PC but I blame the lady designer, don't you guys???:D

Dragonlady
12-01-2015, 08:27 PM
After watching the video again and spotting the price across the pond ($150,000 upwards), what price would that make it in the UK with taxes etc, close to 190k?????

nobby
12-01-2015, 08:33 PM
no doubt huk is thinking same thing ... they will mess the pricing up regardless that much is certain

:(

Pride
12-01-2015, 09:07 PM
After watching the video again and spotting the price across the pond ($150,000 upwards), what price would that make it in the UK with taxes etc, close to 190k?????
Well they did say it was to compete head on with the 458 so maybe they meant in price too.:)

Nick Graves
13-01-2015, 12:07 AM
£150,000, if normal PPP is to be observed.

Interior looks a bit underwhelmingly Acura after the NSX-like concept.

Ewan
13-01-2015, 01:27 AM
"Mid $150k" should put it at just under £100k but then the American penchant for forgetting about tax in any sticker price will add another slug on top, and HUK's likely inability to judge the market might well mean £125k+ is the real asking price here. If it's £150k then I can only see it getting slaughtered in the market, unless the hybrid tech delivers 7/10s of the P1 or 918 experience. Time will tell :)

Problem Child
13-01-2015, 07:51 AM
I know it's not PC but I blame the lady designer, don't you guys???:D

She's got my vote....1) she's fit, 2) She has used the best colour for the brand 3) She got rid of those awful carbon wheels

sorepaws
13-01-2015, 09:24 AM
From the Honda/Acura PR Department

Rebirth of an Icon: Next Generation Acura NSX Unveiled

Acura takes the wraps off its highly anticipated next-generation NSX supercar, designed to deliver a groundbreaking "New Sports eXperience"

Jan 12, 2015 - DETROIT

Twenty-five years after the debut of the original, paradigm-shifting NSX supercar, Acura revealed the production version of its highly anticipated successor—the next-generation Acura NSX, developed and produced in the U.S.—to the world's auto media at the 2015 North American International Auto Show today. The production model, in a scintillating NSX Red finish, took the stage with a growl from its twin-turbocharged engine.

The next generation NSX showcases the production styling, design and specifications of Acura's mid-engine sports hybrid supercar, and Acura announced key details of the all-new vehicle's design and performance. The company will begin accepting custom orders for the new NSX starting in the summer, with customer deliveries expected later in the year.

Specifically created to bring a "new sports experience" to the supercar segment, the NSX challenges conventional beliefs about supercars — much as the first generation did a quarter century ago. The approach is realized through an all-new power unit—a twin-turbocharged 75-degree DOHC V6 engine with a 9-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) and three-electric motor Sport Hybrid system—integrated with an ultra-rigid and lightweight multi-material body with world's-first material applications and manufacturing processes. Developed under the concept of a "human-centered supercar,” a car that puts the driver first in every aspect of its design, the next-generation NSX will leverage its state-of-the-art hybrid supercar power unit, body and chassis to deliver exceptionally intuitive and immediate response to driver inputs.

"Our commitment was to create an all-new NSX that is true to the heritage of NSX—a supercar that delivers a new driving experience, one where every part of the vehicle is respectful of the smartest part of the car, the driver," said Mike Accavitti, senior vice president and general manager of the Acura division. "The soul of a car is the emotional connection it makes with the driver. With the NSX, that connection will be intense and immediate."

As the pinnacle representation of Acura performance and prestige, the NSX was introduced at the auto show under the theme of "Precision Crafted Performance." The theme was the original tagline for the Acura brand, a guiding force behind the development of the original NSX and a critical component of its launch.

The development of next-generation NSX, driven by precision crafted performance, has resulted in a clean-sheet design, which involved nearly three years of intensive development effort by a global design and engineering team led by engineers at the company's development center in Raymond, Ohio.

"The NSX reflects Acura's American roots and makes a powerful statement about the strong role being played by our North American operations in envisioning and building the future of Acura," said Erik Berkman, executive vice president of the Acura Business Planning Office.

"Our global team embraced the challenge to create a new sports car experience, leveraging new technology to deliver incredibly vivid performance in a vehicle that responds intuitively and immediately to the will of the driver," said Ted Klaus, chief engineer and global development leader of the new NSX. "The NSX delivers pinnacle supercar performance, with zero-delay acceleration and exhilarating, confidence-inspiring driving dynamics."

Interwoven Dynamic Exterior Design
"The new NSX is a product of what we term 'Interwoven Dynamic' design," said Michelle Christensen, NSX exterior design project leader. "It represents the ideal blending of exotic sports car form and supercar function."

The NSX body features classic low and wide proportions married to modern and alluring surfacing, an aggressive front design, and tail lights that pays homage to the original NSX. The signature side intake and floating C-pillar collects air to feed the mid-mounted engine and directs airflow over the rear deck to increase downforce. To accommodate the new longitudinally mounted twin-turbo V6 and 9-speed DCT, the production vehicle was lengthened (+3 inches) and widened (+1 inch) with a slightly more cab-forward package, compared with the proportions of the NSX Concept shown in 2012.

Every element of the exterior body design has been carefully fashioned for total airflow management for both stability-enhancing downforce and vehicle systems cooling. The NSX has undergone extensive testing at the company's state-of-the-art wind tunnel in Raymond, Ohio, leading to a number of significant changes from concept to final body design, including modified hood vents, new front fender vents, modified side air intakes, and an optimized deck spoiler.

Dimensions:

NEW NSX
2013 NSX Concept
Diff (in.)
2005 NSX
Diff (in.)

Length
176 in.
(4470 mm)
172.8 in. (4390mm)
+3.1
174.2 in.
(4425 mm)
+1.8

Width
76.4 in.
(1940 mm)
75.4 in
(1915 mm)
+1.0
71.3 in.
(1810 mm)
+5.1

Height
47.8 in.
(1215 mm)
47.2 in.
(1200 mm)
+0.6
46.1 in
(1170 mm)
+1.8

Wheelbase
103.5 in. (2630 mm)
102.8 in.
(2610 mm)
+0.8
99.6 in.
(2350 mm)
+11.0

Front track
65.2 in.
(1655 mm)
- -
- -
59.5 in.
(1510 mm)
+5.7

Rear track
63.6 in.
(1615 mm)
- -
- -
60.7 in.
(1540 mm)
+3.0

Human Support Cockpit
"Consistent with the 'human-centered supercar' development concept, the NSX was designed from the inside out with an uncompromising focus on the driver," said Johnathan Norman, NSX interior design project leader. "Like the original NSX, we created a 'Human Support Cockpit' that provides exceptional driver control, visibility and packaging, but further advanced to meet the extreme performance expectations of a modern supercar."

The NSX interior boasts exceptional forward visibility, simple and intuitive controls, and class-leading ergonomics—most notably the seat, which features top-class holding performance with outstanding comfort and easy ingress/egress.

The NSX's instrument cluster features a dynamic TFT display that responds to changes in the driver-selectable Integrated Dynamics System with pertinent graphics and information. The center console holds the Power button that readies the sport hybrid powertrain, nested in the center of the new Integrated Dynamics System dial control. Interwoven under the handcrafted leather dash panel is the exposed midframe—a functioning chassis structural member that reflects the design aesthetic of a naked sport bike. An ultra-thin, yet super strong A-pillar design and low-mounted instrument panel minimize obstructions to the driver's view of the road.

Sport Hybrid Power Unit
In keeping with the foundational philosophy of the original NSX, the next-generation NSX is designed to provide a new sports car experience that maximizes the capabilities of the driver, delivering exceptionally intuitive and confidence-inspiring response "at the will of the driver."

Acura engineers leveraged the company's expertise both with high-performance engine and hybrid electric-drive technologies, as well as its two decades of experience with industry-leading dynamic torque-vectoring technologies, including Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD), to create the most sophisticated, technologically advanced and intelligent powertrain in the supercar universe.

At the heart of the NSX's performance capabilities is an all-new mid-mounted, 75-degree, DOHC V6 engine with twin turbochargers mated to an Acura-developed 9-speed DCT. The V6 engine employs a race-inspired compact valve train and dry sump lubrication system to help lower the center of gravity. The all-new 9-speed DCT delivers synapse-quick gear changes and rev-matching downshifts. The rear direct-drive electric motor, housed between the engine and transmission, supports acceleration, braking and transmission shifting performance. The NSX's front wheels are driven by twin independent high-output electric motors which deliver instantaneous torque response and dynamic left-to-right torque distribution.

The NSX uses its front electric motors for dynamic torque vectoring in addition to enhancing acceleration and braking performance. The result is an instantaneous "zero delay" launch performance and handling response that seems to anticipate the driver's desire. The NSX has undergone extensive testing at some of the world's most challenging race circuits, including the famed Nurburgring.

Advanced Multi-Material Body
Also in keeping with the legacy of NSX—the world’s first all-aluminum supercar—the new NSX features an innovative new multi-material body design with world's-first material applications and construction processes.

The NSX body utilizes a space frame design—an internal frame constructed of aluminum, ultra-high strength steel and other advanced materials. Anchored by a carbon fiber floor, torsional and bending forces are taken up entirely by this ultra-rigid structure which also utilizes advanced joining technologies.

The NSX features world's-first casting technology that combines the design and manufacturing flexibility of a casting process with the strength and elongation properties of a forged material, enabling significant weight reduction. The body panels are composed of a combination of aluminum and sheet molding composite (SMC).

WhyOne?
13-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Pistonheads coverage of Detroit launch:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=31476

I tend to agree with the above, whilst still conjecture, I think a ~£150k price will make significant numbers of sales in UK tricky.

Dragonlady
13-01-2015, 11:08 AM
I'm getting fed up of all the waffle!!!, I want more specs! Displacement, 0 to 100kph, emissions, elec range etc.
I could talk bullsh1t all day, " the human tactile interface control systems " steering wheel and pedals!
Give us some real figures please, I'm a petrol head, this is what matters, not paragraphs of waffle!

gturner008
13-01-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm with you Dragonlady.

I watched he'd the unveiling... Lots of usual nonsense. Human interface milarchy. Ha ha.

I am not sure about the Senna reference and DNA...

Pop it on a track....

g

goldtop
13-01-2015, 12:16 PM
When did we know it had a longitudinal engine? Only now, or had I missed earlier news? Wonder what the reasons were - packaging for low CoG? Easier cooling?

Despite my first thoughts, I'm more interested than I was before the launch. (Not in buying one alas!)

hazman
13-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Yup, think they're going to be struggling re. price. Previous experience says £150k. It's proving a big mistake designing/building/engineering in the US, whose currecny has appreciated c70% vs Yen over the last 2 years...
Having said that, performance-wise, seems to be encouraging, judging by MASSIVE brakes. Can't wait for the stats. Think I read also that acceleration quicker than Tesla and GTR...

Pride
13-01-2015, 12:47 PM
MORE BLAH BLAH BLAH FOR YOU.

ENJOY

Twenty-five years after the debut of the original, paradigm-shifting NSX supercar, Acura revealed the production version of its highly anticipated successor—the next-generation Acura NSX, developed and produced in the U.S.—to the world’s auto media at the 2015 North American International Auto Show today. The production model, in a scintillating NSX Red finish, took the stage with a growl from its twin-turbocharged engine.http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201501/2016-acura-nsx-2_600x0w.jpg (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2016-acura-nsx-ar155562/picture610466.html)
The next generation NSX showcases the production styling, design and specifications of Acura’s mid-engine sports hybrid supercar, and Acura announced key details of the all-new vehicle’s design and performance. The company will begin accepting custom orders for the new NSX starting in the summer, with customer deliveries expected later in the year.Specifically created to bring a "new sports experience" to the supercar segment, the NSX challenges conventional beliefs about supercars — much as the first generation did a quarter century ago. The approach is realized through an all-new power unit—a twin-turbocharged 75-degree DOHC V6 engine with a 9-speed dual clutch transmission (DCT) and three-electric motor Sport Hybrid system—integrated with an ultra-rigid and lightweight multi-material body with world’s-first material applications and manufacturing processes. Developed under the concept of a "human-centered supercar,” a car that puts the driver first in every aspect of its design, the next-generation NSX will leverage its state-of-the-art hybrid supercar power unit, body and chassis to deliver exceptionally intuitive and immediate response to driver inputs."Our commitment was to create an all-new NSX that is true to the heritage of NSX—a supercar that delivers a new driving experience, one where every part of the vehicle is respectful of the smartest part of the car, the driver," said Mike Accavitti, senior vice president and general manager of the Acura division. "The soul of a car is the emotional connection it makes with the driver. With the NSX, that connection will be intense and immediate."As the pinnacle representation of Acura performance and prestige, the NSX was introduced at the auto show under the theme of "Precision Crafted Performance." The theme was the original tagline for the Acura brand, a guiding force behind the development of the original NSX and a critical component of its launch.The development of next-generation NSX, driven by precision crafted performance, has resulted in a clean-sheet design, which involved nearly three years of intensive development effort by a global design and engineering team led by engineers at the company’s development center in Raymond, Ohio.http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201501/2016-acura-nsx-3_600x0w.jpg (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2016-acura-nsx-ar155562/picture610467.html)
"The NSX reflects Acura’s American roots and makes a powerful statement about the strong role being played by our North American operations in envisioning and building the future of Acura," said Erik Berkman, executive vice president of the Acura Business Planning Office."Our global team embraced the challenge to create a new sports car experience, leveraging new technology to deliver incredibly vivid performance in a vehicle that responds intuitively and immediately to the will of the driver," said Ted Klaus, chief engineer and global development leader of the new NSX. "The NSX delivers pinnacle supercar performance, with zero-delay acceleration and exhilarating, confidence-inspiring driving dynamics."Interwoven Dynamic Exterior Design
"The new NSX is a product of what we term ’Interwoven Dynamic’ design," said Michelle Christensen, NSX exterior design project leader. "It represents the ideal blending of exotic sports car form and supercar function."The NSX body features classic low and wide proportions married to modern and alluring surfacing, an aggressive front design, and tail lights that pays homage to the original NSX. The signature side intake and floating C-pillar collects air to feed the mid-mounted engine and directs airflow over the rear deck to increase downforce. To accommodate the new longitudinally mounted twin-turbo V6 and 9-speed DCT, the production vehicle was lengthened (+3 inches) and widened (+1 inch) with a slightly more cab-forward package, compared with the proportions of the NSX Concept shown in 2012.Every element of the exterior body design has been carefully fashioned for total airflow management for both stability-enhancing downforce and vehicle systems cooling. The NSX has undergone extensive testing at the company’s state-of-the-art wind tunnel in Raymond, Ohio, leading to a number of significant changes from concept to final body design, including modified hood vents, new front fender vents, modified side air intakes, and an optimized deck spoiler.Human Support Cockpit
"Consistent with the ’human-centered supercar’ development concept, the NSX was designed from the inside out with an uncompromising focus on the driver," said Johnathan Norman, NSX interior design project leader. "Like the original NSX, we created a ’Human Support Cockpit’ that provides exceptional driver control, visibility and packaging, but further advanced to meet the extreme performance expectations of a modern supercar."http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201501/2016-acura-nsx-4_600x0w.jpg (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2016-acura-nsx-ar155562/picture610468.html)
The NSX interior boasts exceptional forward visibility, simple and intuitive controls, and class-leading ergonomics—most notably the seat, which features top-class holding performance with outstanding comfort and easy ingress/egress.The NSX’s instrument cluster features a dynamic TFT display that responds to changes in the driver-selectable Integrated Dynamics System with pertinent graphics and information. The center console holds the Power button that readies the sport hybrid powertrain, nested in the center of the new Integrated Dynamics System dial control. Interwoven under the handcrafted leather dash panel is the exposed midframe—a functioning chassis structural member that reflects the design aesthetic of a naked sport bike. An ultra-thin, yet super strong A-pillar design and low-mounted instrument panel minimize obstructions to the driver’s view of the road.Sport Hybrid Power Unit
In keeping with the foundational philosophy of the original NSX, the next-generation NSX is designed to provide a new sports car experience that maximizes the capabilities of the driver, delivering exceptionally intuitive and confidence-inspiring response "at the will of the driver."Acura engineers leveraged the company’s expertise both with high-performance engine and hybrid electric-drive technologies, as well as its two decades of experience with industry-leading dynamic torque-vectoring technologies, including Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD), to create the most sophisticated, technologically advanced and intelligent powertrain in the supercar universe.At the heart of the NSX’s performance capabilities is an all-new mid-mounted, 75-degree, DOHC V6 engine with twin turbochargers mated to an Acura-developed 9-speed DCT. The V6 engine employs a race-inspired compact valve train and dry sump lubrication system to help lower the center of gravity. The all-new 9-speed DCT delivers synapse-quick gear changes and rev-matching downshifts. The rear direct-drive electric motor, housed between the engine and transmission, supports acceleration, braking and transmission shifting performance. The NSX’s front wheels are driven by twin independent high-output electric motors which deliver instantaneous torque response and dynamic left-to-right torque distribution.The NSX uses its front electric motors for dynamic torque vectoring in addition to enhancing acceleration and braking performance. The result is an instantaneous "zero delay" launch performance and handling response that seems to anticipate the driver’s desire. The NSX has undergone extensive testing at some of the world’s most challenging race circuits, including the famed Nurburgring.Advanced Multi-Material Body
Also in keeping with the legacy of NSX—the world’s first all-aluminum supercar—the new NSX features an innovative new multi-material body design with world’s-first material applications and construction processes.http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201501/2016-acura-nsx-5_600x0w.jpg (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2016-acura-nsx-ar155562/picture610469.html)

Pride
13-01-2015, 12:49 PM
The NSX body utilizes a space frame design—an internal frame constructed of aluminum, ultra-high strength steel and other advanced materials. Anchored by a carbon fiber floor, torsional and bending forces are taken up entirely by this ultra-rigid structure which also utilizes advanced joining technologies.The NSX features world’s-first casting technology that combines the design and manufacturing flexibility of a casting process with the strength and elongation properties of a forged material, enabling significant weight reduction. The body panels are composed of a combination of aluminum and sheet molding composite (SMC).Advanced Sport Package
The NSX features an "Advanced Sports Package" with placement of key powertrain components –the mid-mounted engine, twin front motors and Sport Hybrid battery pack and power control unit – optimized to concentrate vehicle mass low and toward the center of the vehicle, to further enhance dynamic response. The combination of this packaging concept and the lightweight body give the NSX the lowest center of gravity in its class.The NSX utilizes a fully independent, all-aluminum front and rear suspension and puts its considerable power down through ContiSportContact™ high-performance tires—245/35Z R19 front and 295/30Z R20 rear—mounted on 19x8.5 inch front and 20x11 inch rear aluminum alloy wheels. Powerful, natural and confident braking performance is provided by 6-piston front and 4-piston rear monoblock calipers squeezing ultra-high performance carbon-ceramic brake discs.http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201501/2016-acura-nsx-7_600x0w.jpg (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2016-acura-nsx-ar155562/picture610471.html)
Handling is greatly enhanced by Sport Hybrid Super-Handling All Wheel Drive (Sport Hybrid SH-AWD), enabling lightning-quick response to all driver inputs—steering, braking and throttle—along with the stability, control and launch performance of all-wheel drive. Agile Handling Assist (AHA) uses the subtle application of brake torque to further enhance yaw response and dynamic stability.The NSX’s dial-operated Integrated Dynamic System features Quiet, Sport, Sport+ and Track modes. The system adjusts engine, motor, transmission and chassis response, as well as the engine sound level, based on the needs of the driver and driving environment. Quiet mode enables electric-only driving at lower speeds for short durations. Dynamic vehicle responses become increasingly sharp as the driver moves from Sport to Sport+ mode and, finally, to Track mode, where the NSX reveals the full spectrum of its performance capabilities.The NSX also features a "launch" function to achieve the ultimate in "zero delay" launch performance, aided by both the engine and three electric motors.New Production Facility
The NSX will be manufactured exclusively at the Performance Manufacturing Center (PMC) in Marysville, Ohio, where approximately 100 highly-skilled associates will conduct full body construction, paint, and final assembly using domestic and globally-sourced parts.The PMC and its processes have been developed to perfectly blend associate craftsmanship and technology in a new approach to manufacturing. By in-housing the body construction, Acura maintains complete control over total body quality, including critical strength, suspension accuracy, and fit and finish—from initial construction all the way to final assembly.http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201501/2016-acura-nsx-8_600x0w.jpg (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2016-acura-nsx-ar155562/picture610472.html)
Associates will utilize innovative techniques to deliver next-generation craftsmanship and world-class quality in the realm of specialized, supercar vehicle production.

Pride
13-01-2015, 01:03 PM
I must admit that it's very very odd that still no performance figures have been quoted or even claimed as is the norm with any car manufacturer and particularly at a prestigious motor show launch.

So come on Honda get Acura to pull their big yank tank finger out before we all die of boredom.:)

Ewan
13-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Looking at the specs posted above by sorepaws; width _1940mm_, a full 13cm wider than the 2005 car. That's even 38mm wider than a GT-R so this is going to be no B-road barnstormer. Remember this?

That makes is wider than the Ferrari 458 (just - 2mm), the Huracan (by 16mm), v8 R8 (36mm), 911 turbo (60mm), McLaren F1 (120mm).

Note that the specs above are missing one crucial measure... weight...

Nick Graves
13-01-2015, 05:02 PM
Mass is currently being guessed @ 3,600 lbs; it's a problem they're still apparently trying to fix.

That's one of the reasons the actual output isn't finalised. Not that it makes much sense, with three e-motors and one dino juice one, since peak is at different rotational velocities for each.

Ewan
13-01-2015, 05:33 PM
... so that works out about 1650kg. Not too lardy by modern standards (ie lighted than GT-R and only just heavier than the 911 turbo), but still giving away the best part of 200kgs to the 458.

Still, I'm starting to form the view that it looks the dog's danglies, especially from the side view - something which was hard to ever say about the original NSX...

tapav
13-01-2015, 06:56 PM
... Still, I'm starting to form the view that it looks the dog's danglies, especially from the side view - something which was hard to ever say about the original NSX...

?! I wouldn't slate the original NSX on here.. I have to say that my original thoughts about the aesthetics of the new NSX (being too American) has now changed. They seemed to have sorted out some of the lines and it is now looking pretty awesome! Definitely more Japanese styling now.. Perhaps this American lass designed the original concept as the article states she started on it 3 yrs ago... could explain why it looked sh!te up till now.

Mistercorn
13-01-2015, 07:05 PM
I think the old one looked pretty good from the side.

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w627/eaxmjhi/NSX/_L4A9429_zpscab76012.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/eaxmjhi/media/NSX/_L4A9429_zpscab76012.jpg.html)

MC

Nick Graves
13-01-2015, 07:32 PM
?! I wouldn't slate the original NSX on here.. I have to say that my original thoughts about the aesthetics of the new NSX (being too American) has now changed. They seemed to have sorted out some of the lines and it is now looking pretty awesome! Definitely more Japanese styling now.. Perhaps this American lass designed the original concept as the article states she started on it 3 yrs ago... could explain why it looked sh!te up till now.

I admit it looks far better when photographed by anyone other than Acura's professional photographers - they make everything look utter sh!te. Always have done.

Pride
13-01-2015, 07:47 PM
U
I think the old one looked pretty good from the side.

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w627/eaxmjhi/NSX/_L4A9429_zpscab76012.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/eaxmjhi/media/NSX/_L4A9429_zpscab76012.jpg.html)

MC

It looks absolutely stunning MC and would look even better with a short drive to allow the suspension to re-settle.:)

tapav
13-01-2015, 08:55 PM
I admit it looks far better when photographed by anyone other than Acura's professional photographers - they make everything look utter sh!te. Always have done.

I also saw it in the flesh at Zurich car show and rather let down.. I guess that was just a shell then and some refinement has been made since. Actually quite excited now.. may tail off with the long wait!

Pride
13-01-2015, 09:14 PM
A much neater and easier to read overview from nsxprime of what we know so far about the new NSX.

Here is a quick summary of what we learned today (13/01/15) during the official launch of the new NSX at the NAIAS today.
Project

This version of the new NSX project was launched three years ago.
The new NSX signals a renewed focus on Honda’s core DNA of being a “challenger brand.”
The project was centered around the original NSX heritage of supercar performance using new technologies and new materials.
All new NSXs for sale around the world will be manufactured at the new Performance Manufacturing Center (PMC) in Ohio. This is a purpose-built plant for new NSX production.

Powertrain

3-motor Sport Hybrid SH-AWD
In the middle of development they decided to change to an all new power unit: 75-degree longitudinal twin-turbocharged V6
Dry-sump oil system for the engine
9-speed dual clutch transmission with a direct-drive electric motor for the rear wheels
Twin electric motors up front, one driving each wheel
Total system output “north” of 550 HP
Electric motors allow for instantaneous acceleration
Integrated Dynamic System (IDS) to control power delivery with four modes: Quiet (all electric), Sport, Sport +, and Track
System will respond to all driver inputs: Acceleration, braking, and turning

Construction and Design

Multi-material chassis: Aluminum-intensive space frame with strategic use of ultra-high-strength steel and carbon fiber
All-aluminum suspension
Best in class center of gravity (CG) thanks to the new l0w-mounted powertrain layout. They call this layout the “Advanced Sports Package.”
Tires shown were Continental Sport Contact sized 245/35-19 front and 295/30-20 rear
The car was shown with composite two-piece rotors

AeroTed Klaus has previously made it clear that air management has been one of the key challenges in the design of the new NSX. Here is what he had to say about the car today.

Air flows in through the front to cool the two electric motors up there as well as front brakes, and exits out the vents on either side of the hood as well as the fender vents immediately behind the top of the front wheels, providing front downforce.
Air exiting from the front fender vents is aerodynamically managed so it stays attached to the side of the car and then flows into the large rear air inlets to feed the twin turbo V6.
Air exiting the rear is managed to increase rear downforce in combination with the integrated trunk lid spoiler and rear diffuser

Interior

Design goal was a Human Support Cockpit, designed from the driver out
Thin A-pillars contribute to a clear view out the front, similar to the original NSX
Form-fitting seats and a cockpit that wraps around the driver

Pricing, Production, and Delivery

There will be multiple versions available. Whether this just means different trim packages or something more radical like a Type-R or convertible was not clear.
Customers will be able to customize their NSX online and submit their order starting in summer 2015. Media test drives will also begin at this time.
Production begins fall 2015
First customer delivers will occur at the end of 2015
Pricing is expected to start around mid $150,000 USD

soddy
13-01-2015, 09:21 PM
looks great, though what is that rear window like? very thick black surround around the heated rear window, special reason?
taking in the exchange rate and usual taxes it will be interesting to see the UK price, as too high and it'll be going no where.

how many in total are planned for UK market?

Pride
13-01-2015, 09:27 PM
World News scoop.
First picture of the inline V6 twin turbo engine Acura are afraid to show.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/webkit-fake-url://fb74980a-f299-4aab-9aa6-00ffe57ab512/imagejpeg

You had better look over your shoulder 911, 458, ccx and any other so called contender, because here it comes.:)

Pride
13-01-2015, 09:53 PM
I just read this post from another forum, which, if true sounds absolutely amazing:

"There is also a launch function that gives the NSX ‘zero delay' performance from rest. This is said to be bordering on frightening, according to one spokesperson. The benchmarks were the Tesla Model S and the Nissan GT-R. The new NSX beats both of those comfortably, they say."

I don't know what "beats comfortably" equates to, but given that the GTR is 3.0s, and the P85D is 3.2s, we're potentially looking at a 911Turbo type 0-60?? DAMN!

Pride
13-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Now this is what I call a super hyper-car. And it only took less than one year to design and build!!!!

http://www.classybro.com/2014/08/ferrari-f80-supercar-concept-blows-us-away-hq/?utm_source=crowdignite.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=crowdignite.com

Senninha
13-01-2015, 10:57 PM
looks great, though what is that rear window like? very thick black surround around the heated rear window, special reason?
taking in the exchange rate and usual taxes it will be interesting to see the UK price, as too high and it'll be going no where.

how many in total are planned for UK market?

they closed the UK order books a few weeks ago with 100 £5k deposits placed ....

soddy
14-01-2015, 12:13 AM
they closed the UK order books a few weeks ago with 100 £5k deposits placed ....

yes but is that all that will come into the UK for 2015? i only ask as was trying to remember if honda set a limit on the number of cars produced in total, not produced each year.

Ewan
14-01-2015, 07:31 AM
I'm not slating the original: I liked mine a great deal, and appreciated it from every angle. One criticism that was laid at the shape from the outset, though, was that the rear was overly long, a sop to the need for practicality when compared to the shape of its competition. Looking "pretty good from the side" is fine, and I agree (MC's looks lovely), but I just don't think it's the car's strongest angle. The new NSX looks great from a side profile, and the reprofiling of the intakes (see the strake that's deep into the door) and buttresses makes it look a lot more dramatic. The front end might need to be seen in the metal, and who knows what kind of mess it'll look by the time a great big registration plinth has been nailed across it... but all in, I think the new one looks really good.

Senninha
14-01-2015, 07:33 AM
IIRC they had similar UK volumes in mind as the orignal acheived in its lifetime, however, US press is stating today that Honda\Acura are not confirming total production volumes until it better understands the markets demand na dsize of the order book .... read - the price is somewhat higher so we expect to sell less ... personnally, this is now going to be all about the drice and performance.

IF it does deliver semi-P1 (hyper-car) performance for 15% of that cars price it will be a major success story. Reports yesterday were suggesting sub 3-second 0-60 acceleration, 550+ hp and more. If it does all that, here, on UK roads it will have a long delivery time as many will want it. If it only just beats GT-R \ 911 \ Vette then I suspect not the sales success some migh tbe wishing for.

Senninha
14-01-2015, 07:39 AM
The refinement of the design is welcome however if I was a potential owner I would be concerned about the front end vulnerability to stone chips ... all low cars are at extra risk, but with so many 'edges' to the intracate vents and aero aids I suspect a regularly driven NSX will look tatty within a few thousand miles unless owners (or maybe Honda UK) invest in the clear stone guard wrap for that front end ....

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201501/2016-acura-nsx-2_600x0w.jpg (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/2016-acura-nsx-ar155562/picture610466.html)

Senninha
14-01-2015, 07:46 AM
http://cdn.hondanews.com/acura-automobiles/photos/61b0/1411/61b01411-5b85-4953-bbf9-65f1663fe1d4-720x480.jpg

Interior changes ... prototype below vs production above ... I'm guessing in line with other brands the 'carbon pack' becomes a default ££ option as if comon Honda plastics are anything to go by this standard silver trim will not wear particularly well ... looks less special IMO

http://static.ibsrv.net/cdcx/images/2013autos/updates/2015%20Acura%20NSX%20-%20Interior%20View.jpg

Nick Graves
14-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Did you not read the launch material?

The ally lower dash is structural, as in an Elise.

The only possibly dubious bits are the door handles (hopefully real tin) and steering wheel they got from a Honda Bagpuss. Or an Austin Allegro.

Dragonlady
14-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Did you not read the launch material?

The ally lower dash is structural, as in an Elise.

The only possibly dubious bits are the door handles (hopefully real tin) and steering wheel they got from a Honda Bagpuss. Or an Austin Allegro.

did you not know, square is the new round, ala LaFezza

Pride
14-01-2015, 11:44 AM
did you not know, square is the new round, ala LaFezza

Did you not know that NO performance specs are the new way to exaggerate a cars true performance figures.:)

I personally have never known any other car to have an official launch at a motor show without showing at least claimed performance figures.

Talk about a taster it's more like a waster to me.

Why have non of the worlds press questioned this.

Even concept cars have performance specification figures showing.

This is not the finished article imho it's just a mechanically last minute rushed together shell that revs up on a stage.:(

Signed
V Frustrated

Rob_Fenn
14-01-2015, 01:06 PM
But haven't they said deliveries start this year?! Surely that means R&D is basically finished?

If its $150k, i can't see it being much less than £150k. We never pay like for like and, in fairness, that would still be a lot of car for your money. On paper it makes a 911 Turbo look archaic and you're looking at £140k for a standard Turbo S (although you can get discounts).

Pride
14-01-2015, 01:20 PM
But haven't they said deliveries start this year?! Surely that means R&D is basically finished?

So where are the manufacturers "claimed" performance figures then????

Senninha
14-01-2015, 02:06 PM
So where are the manufacturers "claimed" performance figures then????

Have you ordered one? If not, why the 'frustration' with no stats and as long time Honda owner you will know that Honda are rarely quick to issue such details.

From the writings Ive seen, they are yet to release finished weight and as this is directly related to performance it makes perfect sense for this info to be withheld at this time.

What I've also read is that they are suggesting minimal launch delay so you can expect it to beat the GT-R with a sub 3 second 0-60 time (my reading of the message)

Pride
14-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Firstly I don't have to order one to get frustrated about this car.
Secondly Frustration is born out of reading everything about the car except the all important supercar performance figures

Any sales guy can waffle on about the technical delivery in beating this and that but to me the whole point of having a final launch is to be able to importantly show performance figures and they can't, because for some unknown reason it really isn't finished yet.
Yet again very frustrating.

Nick Graves
14-01-2015, 03:41 PM
Have you ordered one? If not, why the 'frustration' with no stats and as long time Honda owner you will know that Honda are rarely quick to issue such details.

From the writings Ive seen, they are yet to release finished weight and as this is directly related to performance it makes perfect sense for this info to be withheld at this time.

What I've also read is that they are suggesting minimal launch delay so you can expect it to beat the GT-R with a sub 3 second 0-60 time (my reading of the message)

I understand they may be waiting to see what the figures are for the TT 458 about to be launched, before they risk cranking the ECUs up to 11 from day one.

Honda (finally) understands the importance of this car to rescue their sad brand image.

NSX 2000
14-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Honda (finally) understands the importance of this car to rescue their sad brand image.

This "brand image" you mention is only poor within the "petrol head" community of Europe. Honda is in fact in the top 20 of world brands, (Ford are only 39th while Porsche is 60th). In the US they have 3 models which are the best selling in there sector.

A few years back I spent some time with various Honda UK top brass, and for what ever reason in Europe no matter what they did they could not get Honda "cars" to be seen in anything like the same high esteem as other Honda products are (such as bikes, lawnmowers, outboard engines etc).

This is why in Europe (at the moment) we have such a small line up of cars from Honda.

goldtop
14-01-2015, 06:32 PM
My, don't we have some impatient people here! :D Honda may be keeping schtum about performance stats for good reason. Given that it's still almost a year away from delivery, there's no point in letting the competition know what to aim at.

Nick Graves
14-01-2015, 07:41 PM
This "brand image" you mention is only poor within the "petrol head" community of Europe. Honda is in fact in the top 20 of world brands, (Ford are only 39th while Porsche is 60th). In the US they have 3 models which are the best selling in there sector.

A few years back I spent some time with various Honda UK top brass, and for what ever reason in Europe no matter what they did they could not get Honda "cars" to be seen in anything like the same high esteem as other Honda products are (such as bikes, lawnmowers, outboard engines etc).

This is why in Europe (at the moment) we have such a small line up of cars from Honda.

Well, that doesn't fully explain their descent from the 'Japanese BMW' into making very average, middle-of-the-road cars and their (Honda JP's) general complacency over the decade. EU Civic-onwards, it seemed as if there was an attempt to align Honda in EU with their mass-market appeal in the USA/RoW as if they were leaving room for Acura above. And replacing the stylish FK with something that looks like Bagpuss was a smart move...

That bit never happened and following their cancellation of the Acura RWD planks, Acura descended into something of a fiasco.

I'd argue that petrol heads still remember Honda for what they were and are anxious for their return, whilst a lot of the ordinary buyers appreciate the quality but value brands such as Hyundai & Skoda have eaten Honda's lunch, drank their cognac and shagged their missus.

Hence the halving of the market share in the last half-dozen or so years.

Honda used to lead in innovation; now they are perceived as trailing. The first HR-V was a decade ahead of the market; the new one is playing catch-up. Clever systems like iMMD are nowhere to be seen. The loyal Accord buyers (all 13 of them) are up in arms that they've been abandoned, whilst Russia gets the TLX.

That such masterpieces as the NSX and Legend were criminally ignored by badge snobs is a travesty. Honda will have to find out how the Germans frig their lease rates, in order to play catch-up. AND hire some decent marketing gurus, to find out why the Germans created such a prestigious image for cars of such comparatively poor reliability. And get Honda EU come out with some designs again that will appeal to the public. You know, like other unloved brands like Skoda, Hyundai et al have done.

At least the likes of Berkman at Acura seem to have (at last) got the brass monkeys in 2-1-1 Minami Towers to see sense over the Acura brand, at last. Maybe HUK needs to have the bravery to so the same?

Other than that, it's the petrol heads.

Ewan
14-01-2015, 09:59 PM

Well said, Nick. Honda (for petrol heads) is in the same ballpark as Alfa - everybody wishes they'd get back to their best. The thing with Alfa is, they keep promising and failing - whereas Honda hasn't been promising much other than the long gestation of new NSX and CTR.

Here's what I'd like to see Honda do - after launching the NSX to critical acclaim, they may have to accept that they won't sell many over here cos it'll be 150 grand for the base model - but instead of wringing hands and wishing it was different, get a replacement for the S2000 out there, make it look like a mini-NSX and carry over some of the technology if possible, so that it could at least be sold for more like £40k. Compete with the Boxster... maybe even spawn a GT coupe and a convertible variant...

sorepaws
15-01-2015, 06:52 AM
Oh dear I looked at the launch cars at Detroit - yes the NSX looks good, but then I looked at the new Ford GT it looks very nice. I think Honda/Acura are in for a battle with the non badge snobs. From a personal perspective I think the front of the NSX looks too much like the new Type R (or visa versa) the Ford GT looks nothing like a Fiesta.

sorepaws
15-01-2015, 07:14 AM
Maybe the difference between say Honda and BMW is obvious from their respective websites. Honda opens the world to you with Cars, ATV's, Lawn Mowers, Marine, Energy. BMW on the other hand there are only Cars

Look at the missions of each company
BMW - to become the World leading premium brand for luxury cars.
Honda - to Power the world - the Power of Dreams - Earth Dreams

Honda added the Acura brand in the US to create a luxury division, one that would create an aspirational move for people who could afford an entry level Honda to something more up-market. Europeans are different (apparently) less brand centric (this is obviously why we have Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc !) From a simple lay perspective Honda should introduce Acura to the UK the Luxury brand that matches or exceeds BMW.

The other challenge for Honda is to secure their identity I have a feeling that their re-introduction to the F1 arena may well be the start of that, Honda make Dreams and Power, BMW make driving machines !

WhyOne?
15-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Oh dear I looked at the launch cars at Detroit - yes the NSX looks good, but then I looked at the new Ford GT......

Funny you should mention that Mike - I was looking at pictures from Detroit last night and thought exactly the same.

OK the Ford is a back to basics super car, whereas the new NSX is no doubt full of techno-trickery and exotic materials, but styling wise (and Ford cobbled their car together in about 12 months) the GT takes it by a country mile for me.

WhyOne?
15-01-2015, 08:19 AM
Well, that doesn't fully explain their descent from the 'Japanese BMW' into making very average, middle-of-the-road cars and their (Honda JP's) general complacency over the decade. EU Civic-onwards, it seemed as if there was an attempt to align Honda in EU with their mass-market appeal in the USA/RoW as if they were leaving room for Acura above. And replacing the stylish FK with something that looks like Bagpuss was a smart move...

That bit never happened and following their cancellation of the Acura RWD planks, Acura descended into something of a fiasco.

I'd argue that petrol heads still remember Honda for what they were and are anxious for their return, whilst a lot of the ordinary buyers appreciate the quality but value brands such as Hyundai & Skoda have eaten Honda's lunch, drank their cognac and shagged their missus.

Hence the halving of the market share in the last half-dozen or so years.

Honda used to lead in innovation; now they are perceived as trailing. The first HR-V was a decade ahead of the market; the new one is playing catch-up. Clever systems like iMMD are nowhere to be seen. The loyal Accord buyers (all 13 of them) are up in arms that they've been abandoned, whilst Russia gets the TLX.

That such masterpieces as the NSX and Legend were criminally ignored by badge snobs is a travesty. Honda will have to find out how the Germans frig their lease rates, in order to play catch-up. AND hire some decent marketing gurus, to find out why the Germans created such a prestigious image for cars of such comparatively poor reliability. And get Honda EU come out with some designs again that will appeal to the public. You know, like other unloved brands like Skoda, Hyundai et al have done.

At least the likes of Berkman at Acura seem to have (at last) got the brass monkeys in 2-1-1 Minami Towers to see sense over the Acura brand, at last. Maybe HUK needs to have the bravery to so the same?

That's a tremendous post Nick!

Honda had respect in the petrolhead community....NSX, S2000, Civic, Integra Type-R's, CRX, not to mention their various F1 programs (this is what got me interested in Honda in the 1980's and ultimately let to me buying 11 of their cars over the ensuing years). They didn't have the balls to stick with it and descended into the beige mediocrity we see now.

Once agin however, there is a glimmer of hope. A new F1 engine program (the right way for honda to demonstrate their skills to the world IMHO) and some interesting cars waiting in the wings, but the painfully long gestation of these, and the way the company has handled this (don't get me started on the travesty that was the Honda stand at the Goodwood FoS last year) beggars belief. That Honda UK 'top brass' are mystified about the poor brand perception of the road cars in the UK probably says everything you need to know.

WhyOne?
15-01-2015, 09:53 AM
Its not just us...many of the same questions / comparisons / doubts / expectations are expressed in this article:
http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=31484

Nick Graves
15-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Another point I forgot was that Honda's brightest engineers, sick of the incompetent management and traditionally poor working conditions, are leaving in droves. No graduate engineers want to work for Honda because of the foregoing.

This is why they are struggling to get the VTEC Turbo engines to work and the DCT Hybrid trannies in the Fit and RLX to work smoothly and reliably. They've instigated an external quality control audit in Jp after the four Fit recalls and the delays to the HR-V.

Made up brands like Acura are gonna struggle with the beautiful new aluminium RWD Jaguars and Alfas, because of their heritages and strong fan bases.

Honda should have foreseen the hollowing out of the middle-market for premium brands - when did you last see a Renault Laguna - and used their biking victories and a consistent design language (instead of the cars from different mfr.s look we now have) to promote their premium credentials.

It was all laid out for Honda in Premium Power: The Secret of Success of Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche and Audi back in Oct 2005, but they were obviously too arrogantly self-believing to read it.

So I should be grateful if you would please refer this to HUK, HEU and 2-1-1 Ivory Towers...blaming the customer is like thrashing an ADO16 with a branch because it broke down due to lack of maintenance.

sorepaws
15-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Honda (Worldwide) still sell more than twice the number of cars that BMW do, and are the 9th largest in the Auto market. They can't be doing too much wrong overall. I think though the issue is in the EU where they only have about 1% market share.

Nick Graves
15-01-2015, 05:26 PM
Very different market segments though; there are the very successful N-models in Japan, the Brio in S-E Asia, etc etc. And they've had a good head start in China. Apart from some SUVs, there's virtually zero overlap between BMW & Honda ranges, any more. Apart from the few unsold Accords & the more modern 3er...and the 1er which seems to thrash Bagpuss, though an ILX might be a better comparison. If we got it.

NA they are doing very well too - with some reservations over Acura.

The NA Accord has bombed in China and also Australia, where it struggles to outsell the ageing Euro-Accord.

EU is a very unique market, but they don't seem remotely to be interested in fixing it so far. Partly, that was because they were having problems with dated tech & poor models in more important markets.

But to blame petrol heads when they've sold no petrol head models here for years (not even an Accord Type-S or somesuch) is quite ridiculously funny. In fact, the halving of market share more or less coincided with the withdrawal of the CTR and S2000. Partly the halo-effect, partly the lacklustre new models they did introduce here. For example; the CR-V is a top-selling mass-market vehicle in the US, yet has performed averagely here, where it's pitched against a plethora of premium vehicles with better lease deals. Maybe a version of the RDX might be closer to what the market requires, or were the prices just too high for the CR-V's perception? The late arrival of the 1.6D certainly hurt it, too.

havoc
16-01-2015, 09:50 PM
EU is a very unique market, but they don't seem remotely to be interested in fixing it so far. Partly, that was because they were having problems with dated tech & poor models in more important markets.

But to blame petrol heads when they've sold no petrol head models here for years (not even an Accord Type-S or somesuch) is quite ridiculously funny. In fact, the halving of market share more or less coincided with the withdrawal of the CTR and S2000. Partly the halo-effect, partly the lacklustre new models they did introduce here. For example; the CR-V is a top-selling mass-market vehicle in the US, yet has performed averagely here, where it's pitched against a plethora of premium vehicles with better lease deals. Maybe a version of the RDX might be closer to what the market requires, or were the prices just too high for the CR-V's perception? The late arrival of the 1.6D certainly hurt it, too.

In the UK (& Eur to some degree) it's as much badge/design/image as it is actual product* - the cars are worthy but uninspiring, design-wise, and the badge doesn't cut it vs the aspirational / de-rigeur for the middle classes Audi/BMW/Merc, or even apparently VW for some bizarre reason, probably internal trim quality, as if that's an important metric for a car! NA is a much more egalitarian market where Honda/Toyota have established themselves far better, and the NA design language translates better into their market.

* The current Civic is a thoroughly decent mainstream car to drive with good control weights and ride/handling balance, hampered by an ergonomic nightmare of a dashboard/controls layout and a thick bar right across the rear vision due to the silly rear-window design - complete contrast to the ergonomically-inspired and visibility-focused 1990s designs. The last-gen CR-V was ugly but very capable, if you ignore the weird/worrying pulsing steering thing going on in >50% of vehicles on the market - we nearly bought one but that steering is a joke. And the Jazz, as mentioned, is perfectly fit-for-purpose but about as exciting as beige slippers.

nobby
17-01-2015, 06:12 PM
i have the last gen CR-V and i have not noticed the issue with the steering ... can you please elaborate?
i agree very capable and a really decent drive. looks wise not the best but needless to say appear to have been a good seller for HUK as there are plenty on the roads.
the ex model is finished very well, lot of kit.

agree with the latest civic too; had one for a few days and i was impressed with the drive and very capable 1.6 i-dtec engine. I really liked the interior and it was well kitted out not sure what spec level but most impressive.

was speaking to a friend today who bought honda before me and has an 06 civic diesel, he loves it but cant warm to the new shape and is in the market for a potential change this year. he does not want to leave the brand but feels there is nothing on offer for him and is considering the focus. if that is the case HUK has made a mess of this design as it appears to have alienated a lot of people. i did read some time ago that a face lift was planned this year for the car.

* The current Civic is a thoroughly decent mainstream car to drive with good control weights and ride/handling balance ... The last-gen CR-V was ugly but very capable, if you ignore the weird/worrying pulsing steering thing going on in >50% of vehicles on the market - we nearly bought one but that steering is a joke. And the Jazz, as mentioned, is perfectly fit-for-purpose but about as exciting as beige slippers.

havoc
17-01-2015, 06:24 PM
i have the last gen CR-V and i have not noticed the issue with the steering ... can you please elaborate?

was speaking to a friend today who bought honda before me and has an 06 civic diesel, he loves it but cant warm to the new shape and is in the market for a potential change this year. he does not want to leave the brand but feels there is nothing on offer for him and is considering the focus. if that is the case HUK has made a mess of this design as it appears to have alienated a lot of people. i did read some time ago that a face lift was planned this year for the car.
Steering - not all, and to varying degrees, but on constant lock and constant (positive) throttle (when turning right at a roundabout, for example), you get a pulsing kick-back through the steering - it actually rocks back-and-forth in your hands. Very disconcerting.

Friend's father's previous-gen (2005?) also does it. Only other car I've heard of with the problem is the 407. Best guess is something to do with the PAS system - harmonic in the fluid when more assistance is applied?!?

As for your mate, has he seen the Civic Tourer? Rather better-looking...and doesn't seem to have the rear-viz ****-up...

Mistercorn
21-01-2015, 09:20 PM
All they had to do was not call it the NSX and we wouldn't be talking about it. Is there a forum for the Mk1 NSX? I couldn't care less about the new one. I bought the car for the history, the heritage, not for the name.

MC

Pride
21-01-2015, 10:35 PM
All they had to do was not call it the NSX and we wouldn't be talking about it. Is there a forum for the Mk1 NSX? I couldn't care less about the new one. I bought the car for the history, the heritage, not for the name.

MC

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/image.php?u=3344&dateline=1350815262 (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/member.php?3344-goldtop)goldtop (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/member.php?3344-goldtop)
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/images/statusicon/user-online.pngPlatinum Memberhttp://www.nsxcb.co.uk/images/reputation/reputation_pos.png

Join DateOct 2012LocationCambridgePosts382

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/images/icons/icon1.png An insight into the 2015 NSX design...
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...ry.html#page=1 (http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-0111-hy-nsx-designer-20150111-story.html#page=1)

Remedy:

Easiest thing to do then Mistercorn is just ignore this thread.

mjames75
22-01-2015, 01:33 AM
I think the new nsx will be okay...despite people not liking certain areas etc etc etc...all the same things were said about the original when it came out....

Pride
22-01-2015, 09:44 PM
I wonder what the reaction of this image provokes in you???

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skgt3rs/7093852839/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I personally think it looks absolutely fantastic, maybe Acura should use the great A.Senna's name to market it once again.
What do you think???:rolleyes:

Dragonlady
22-01-2015, 10:29 PM
I like the look of that. Nicer front end without the chrome strip to the top, stripes look good to.

Pride
24-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Here you go ...

What the GRRC reported in their news letter Jan 16th.

https://grrc.goodwood.com/road/news/honda-nsx-detroit

Pulling away from the marketing strategies for a minute, I've only just read that Acura don't intend having a manual transmission option and the 9 speed dual clutch transmission you get as standard you CANNOT shift yourself.http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/images/smilies/upset.png

Surely this can't be right????

That's according anyway to newspress usa editorial.

http://www.wired.com/2015/01/detroit-auto-show-naias-best-cars/#slide-id-1705475

nobby and havoc all the questions and info you need for everything Honda including the new NSX on here, fill your boots guys.

http://hondakarma.com/community/

The sheer number of man hours gone into the development and new manufacturing process when revealed to the public will make everyone genuinely appreciate this car.The level of attention Honda has devoted to this project to purse perfection is humbling.

Absolutely stunning http://hondakarma.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/original.gif
I am so happy for Honda right now. Its a real shame us normal folks probably will never drive it but it is still a testament to what Honda can do

http://hondakarma.com/threads/rebirth-of-an-icon-next-generation-honda-nsx-unveiled.14727/#post-111444

Even Top Gear are getting impressed, now that's a first.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/production-honda-nsx-revealed-at-detroit-2015-1-12

Another interesting show write up and some show public pictures and gues what, it still looks stunning.

http://thesupercarkids.com/new-acura-nsx-revealed-at-naias-2015/

All the video links available for the new NSX supercar on one web page.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/115011287182/acura-nsx-finally-revealed-in-production-form-was-it-worth

The Reported so called "lows" of the Detroit show by an American car magazine were:

Low:Acura’s NSX unveiling. We’ve waited a long time to see the production dress of Acura’s technology-stuffed, high-performance stunner. So what made the company think that long, blathering monologues from executives was a good idea? The two stars we’d rather have been allowed to focus on were the sports car itself and its telegenic and talented exterior designer, Michelle Christensen.

Alongside:

Low:Porsche 911 Targa 4GTS. However, the arrival of the Targa 4 GTS marks the 20th, yes 20th, 911 model in the current lineup. Can there be too much of a great thing?

So at least the new NSX is already on a par with the 911 then.

And one of the sad but true highs are:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/21/acura-nsx-supercar-press-kits-275-ebay

Here is the real question everyone is asking though:

http://jalopnik.com/what-exactly-will-the-2016-acura-nsx-compete-against-1680461067

Targa top anyone.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/acura-nsx-targa-rendering/

I wonder what the reaction of this image provokes in you???

https://www.flickr.com/photos/skgt3rs/7093852839/sizes/l/in/photostream/

I personally think it looks absolutely fantastic, maybe Acura should use the great A.Senna's name to market it once again.
What do you think???

Looks like Alonso could soon be the man behind the new NSX supercar. Check this out:

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/fernando-alonso-tweets-about-new-nsx.html
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Pride http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?p=112709#post112709)
I'm surprised Alcantara wasn't used throughout in the NSX, particularly the dash top where it would help stop the annoying reflection in the screen.

Taken from a specification note from the Alcantara company:

"For the debut of its hybrid NSX high-performance sports car, Acura selected grey Alcantara with contrast stitching for the car's door panels, control panel, headliner and the central section of its seats."

Sorry, correction and good news, Alcantara is used on dash panel top

Pride
28-01-2015, 03:32 AM
I think you will find this article about the design and aesthetics of the 2nd generation NSX very interesting.
There is some good and a lot of bad news as you will read.:(

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/by_design/1504-by-design-2016-acura-nsx/#__federated=1

Now compare that to what the same magazine thinks about our origanol 1st generation NSX.
Its all good.;)

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/collectible_classic/1404-1991-2005-acura-nsx/

It would be interesting to know your thoughts about both editorials.

Pride
28-01-2015, 04:55 AM
By far the best video yet explaining the benefits and design features which will make this NSX 2 a world beater.

http://youtu.be/b-q4uLMvfVA

Pride
03-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Latest news and its just been announced that it will be at the Chicago motor show Feb 14th-20th where more information is promised, great idea in having a drip feed of info each month don't you think????

Cant wait until June/July for its first promised test drives. Look out all sub half million pound supercars and hyper-cars :)

http://www.chicagonow.com/drive-she-said/2015/02/chicago-auto-show-its-official-ford-gt-and-acura-nsx-on-display/#image/1

britlude
03-02-2015, 06:19 PM
they might even get their bums into gear for Goodwood FOS....

WhyOne?
04-02-2015, 09:43 AM
they might even get their bums into gear for Goodwood FOS....

Huge 'own goal' if they don't...last years no-show of the promised running car was bad enough.

Pride
05-02-2015, 07:16 PM
How about this statement made yesterday from a motoring magazine in the states.
My controversial conspiracy theory is this:
All main Acura/Honda dealers world wide will be forced to buy the new NSX for their showrooms to pull in the punters for the other Honda models, which is why the Loughborough Honda dealer recently asked us if we could spare one for their promotion so they don't need to order the new one.
Maybe they know something we don't know.
Now there's a thought.:rolleyes:

Read this:

"While some brands are solely in the exotic-car market – like Ferrari and Lamborghini – a few mainstream manufacturers delve into this high-stakes game to help draw attention to the rest of their lineup.
That is what Acura is hoping to achieve with their 2016 NSX. It has been 10 years since the last NSX was in the showrooms, and according to American Honda Executive Vice President John Mendel, interviewed by the automotive publication WardsAuto, the brand was probably hurt by that.
Many people visit brands that have high-end sports cars in their showrooms, if only to daydream. However, once at the showroom, they can look at the brand's more affordable models and perhaps be tempted to buy one of those.
Acura's General Manager, Mike Accavitti, agrees with Mendel that the brand lost out on potential clients. At the recent Automotive News World Congress, he stated that “We just became vanilla... our styling became a little bland and polarizing.”
In addition, Mendel added that Acura is looking at the possibility of adding a small crossover vehicle to the line-up, based on the newly introduced 2016 Honda HR-V. Such a vehicle would compete with the Audi Q3, the BMW X1 and the Mercedes-Benz GLA.
The new Acura NSX will make its national debut at the 2015 Canadian International Auto Show in Toronto next week."

markc
05-02-2015, 09:31 PM
Is the engine still a 3.5Ltr unit? All the recent articles seem to deliberately avoid mentioning the engine capacity.

Maybe Honda have come to their senses and downsized it to 1.6Ltrs to make the F1 connection ;)

The wheels on the latest show car/s are much nicer than the hideous carbon things the afflicted earlier versions.

Cheers

Mark

Pride
05-02-2015, 10:08 PM
Is the engine still a 3.5Ltr unit? All the recent articles seem to deliberately avoid mentioning the engine capacity.

Maybe Honda have come to their senses and downsized it to 1.6Ltrs to make the F1 connection ;)

The wheels on the latest show car/s are much nicer than the hideous carbon things the afflicted earlier versions.

Cheers

Mark

I'm with you Mark, it's all very dodgy, there's still far too little technical detail even though it's had an official launch.
Very strange.:rolleyes:

Mistercorn
06-02-2015, 03:06 AM
It is odd. Great to think that they have the flexibility to change parameters at this stage though.
MC

Kaz-kzukNA1
06-02-2015, 12:04 PM
Nothing new for someone worked at Honda R&D.
Until the actual production starts, it's quite normal for Honda not to disclose the detail.

When our NSX was first officially announced at Chicago Auto show in Feb/89 as NS-X (not NSX), it was still SOHC engine and not DOHC or VTEC.
The chassis design had to be modified as well and extended the wheelbase about 30mm.
The actual sale of NSX started in Jul-Sep/90 (depending on the country) so you can easily imagine how much efforts were made to make such huge changes. Remember each NSX was hand built so considering the production plan, there was less than 1 year to make such big changes on the drawing board.

Personally, until the actual production starts, not much point in discussing too much detail but I know people loves speculation.
I prefer drive, feel and then comment.

Just my personal opinion. :)

Kaz

flyingsniffer
06-02-2015, 12:22 PM
Ah but Kaz, the original NSX was designed before the internet turned everyone into a conspiracy theorist!

I work for another Japanese manufacturer and my company does a lot of work demonstrating prototype models to an internal audience (for the manufacturer) around 6 months before they go on sale. Sometimes it's amazing how much they change dynamically between when we see them and they go on sale - although the fundamentals like engines are fixed WAY before we see them.

Pride
21-02-2015, 08:10 AM
NSX 2 in new advertising

http://youtu.be/U8VlX4Ekk80

Pride
25-02-2015, 09:02 PM
The truth comes out about the rushed Ford GT40 launch.

THEY'RE RUNNING SCARED!!!:)

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/ford-may-have-rushed-the-gt-s-unveiling-to-cool-the-nsx-s-debut-ar167084.html

Pride
04-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Latest video from the Geneva motor show, I personally can't stand the colour of this car, unless it's the lighting having an affect. Looks more like pink nail varnish and as for the exposed reversing sensors.

Surely Acura have heard of stealth, hidden behind composite bumper reversing sensors ( they've been out years) that many supercars have fitted. I know it's a minor point but it's all in the attention to detail at this price range imho, after all it's not a Civic is it?:(

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eo_8wO_28DY

Nick Graves
04-03-2015, 06:16 PM
Well, since you'll be able to order them in any colourway you like and with as much carbon as you like, their Pink Panthermobile for the show really oughtn't be a problem.

Actually, there's something about it (doors particularly) that somehow reminds me of an FK (pre-Bagpuss) Civic!

Pride
05-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Well gents you will be please to know that the new NSX2 has already been nominated as the 8th best sports car of all time according to CNBC America who ever they are???

That's one place ahead of the Ferrari 250GTO, two places ahead of that ugly duckling the Lamborghini Muira :) and an incredible three places ahead of the crap looking E-type(not), I think the judges must have been either drunk, drugged or bribed, maybe all three. :)

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101222096/page/4

duncan
06-03-2015, 09:21 PM
250GTO? Maybe, however, I think the pic is of a 250TdF.
The CNBC America appear to be as sound as the alleged judges.

Pride
11-04-2015, 07:51 PM
About time we knew a bit more about the new NSX again don't you think guys.

There's also some great references about the original.

Enjoy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MU8C_bxR2Ow

Pride
11-04-2015, 10:03 PM
I just spotted this, when you compare these two back to back imo there's only one winner and sad to say it's not the NSX:(

What do you think???

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/2/13/What-Would-You-Buy-Acura-NSX-Or-Ferrari-488-GTB-7725360/

Nick Graves
12-04-2015, 12:26 PM
God, the internet is full of such utter spam, isn't it? People opining on what is at the moment essentially mere vapourware.

I think I'll go out now & test-drive the forthcoming Borgward CUV. I can go to the online shops in it...

Pride
12-04-2015, 07:17 PM
God, the internet is full of such utter spam, isn't it? People opining on what is at the moment essentially mere vapourware.

I think I'll go out now & test-drive the forthcoming Borgward CUV. I can go to the online shops in it...

Calm down mate you don't have to read it, you'll end up throwing a rod if you're not careful.

Nick Graves
13-04-2015, 11:59 AM
Funnily enough, I was pretty calm when the S2000 threw a rod...

It's just that there are some interesting presentations due from Honda on the feliciations of the new design (they have to release it in small doses, there are so many) and there's be far more to be gained by an analysis of those instead.

I hope they don't get lost in the noise, since it looks like there will be a lot to admire.

Pride
14-08-2015, 07:48 PM
A motoring journalists editorial opinion of the new, now old, NSX 2 :)

I still remember when I first heard that Acura would be coming out with a replacement for the famed NSX sports car. It was 1987; I was still in the womb, and the original NSX hadn't even come out yet.
Yes, folks, it's true: that's how long Acura has been talking about the all-new, second-generation NSX, which finally made its debut in production form earlier this week at the Detroit Auto Show, with approximately the same level of fanfare as Bounty rolling out a new line of ultra-absorbent paper towels.
OK, fine, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. But the Acura NSX launch has been bungled so badly that I think it deserves a special look back in time to highlight all the key points, using real dates, and real facts, and only the occasional hyperbolic statement, such as: "When Acura originally announced the second-generation NSX, Jerry Seinfeld was just a Long Island high school student with a mullet and a Karmann Ghia."
So let's go back to the beginning. To do that, we must return to 1991, when the original NSX came out. As I recall, the situation was this: at first, everyone was really excited about the NSX, because it combined Ferrari performance and Ferrari styling with the virtual certainty that, upon leaving your home, you would eventually reach your destination. Ferrari was not able to offer this certainty for another ten years, and even then, they couldn't promise you'd be able to get back home again.
But then what happened was, Acura let the NSX languish. Ferrari came out with another model, then another model, then another model, eventually with 500 horsepower, and yet the NSX was still basically the same old car, fifteen years later, using the same old V6, which was now only slightly more powerful than an Altima. If the NSX were a child, its parents would've been scouring the newspaper classifieds by now, trying to buy it a used Civic.
So Acura cancelled the NSX in 2005, and the entire automotive community let out a collective gasp, because we had no idea it was still in production.
Fast-forward two years, and enthusiasts were already clamoring for another one. Mind you, this was during the time of the Carrera GT, and the Enzo, and the Ford GT, and the Mercedes SLR, and everyone was really performance hungry. So Acura jumped on the bandwagon, and Honda's American chief executive announced in 2007 that a mid-engine, V10-powered NSX successor would reach the market by 2010.
Just to be clear: this was 2007, when he said this. Eight years ago. Back when "twilight" was the thing that happened each night around 6 p.m., and not some movie where Kristen Stewart sucks your blood. Back when Michael Jackson was still alive and well, hanging out with all his llamas at Neverland Ranch. Back when all you needed to qualify for a mortgage was a pulse and the proceeds from a couple vending machine robberies.
So anyway, in 2007, Acura came out with this concept sports car, called the ASCC, and everyone got all excited, because it looked like the NSX was making a return. I don't have access to the archives from the Honda forums, but I bet if you went back and looked at the 2007 posts, people would be saying things like: "HOLY CRAP THE NEXT NSX!" and "OH MY GOD THE NSX IS COMING BACK!" and "Thinking about a used car for my 17-year-old son – maybe a Civic?"
But then we plunged into the recession, and Acura sort of forgot about the NSX. The whole project wasn't mentioned again until a couple years later, when it turned out that Honda was still developing a V10-powered sports car, this time for racing purposes. Naturally, everyone assumed this would turn into the next NSX: a V10-powered Honda! Race car DNA! It's finally happening! And if you go back and look at the Honda forums, I bet you'll find some very excited people, saying some very excited things, such as: "WOOO THE NSX IS RETURNING!" and "BRING ON THE NEW NSX!" and "My 16-year-old was arrested last week for arson. Thinking about getting him a Civic."
But it was not to be. Although Honda did develop a V10-powered race car, and they did race this car in actual races, it never turned into an NSX. Instead, it only led to more speculation. Motor Trend reported that the new NSX was right around the corner. Robert Downey, Jr., drove a concept version in The Avengers. The world was again getting psyched, and the Honda forums were again abuzz with anticipation, posting things like: "NEW NSX IS GONNA BE HERE SOON" and "I CAN FEEL IT THIS TIME. THIS NSX IS HAPPENING!" and "My 16-year-old son keeps stealing prescription medication from my wife, but I'm going to buy him a Civic anyway. What should I look for?"
Unfortunately, this speculation didn't turn into a new NSX right away, either. Instead, Honda decided to release the NSX as a concept car – and they did so at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, to considerable fanfare. A month later, there was a Super Bowl commercial with Jay Leno and Jerry Seinfeld. Finally, we were ready. The Honda forums were beside themselves. People were wildly excited, posting titles like "IT'S FINALLY HERE!!! HOLY CRAP THE NSX!!!" and "MY GOD NSX CONCEPT OMGLOL!" and "My 18-year-old son keeps harming small animals. Is there a program for him? Also, I'm getting him a Civic."
Well folks, THREE YEARS LATER, here we are. It's been eight years since the original promise of a new NSX. Six years since the development of a V10-powered race car that we all thought would turn into an NSX. Five years since further speculation about the production-ready NSX. Four years since the NSX showed up in The Avengers. Three years since the concept car, and that Super Bowl commercial with Jerry Seinfeld.
And after all this fanfare, and all this speculation, and all this excitement, and all this waiting, what happened on the day of the final unveiling?
Ford. Ford happened.
You see, after literally years of pomp and circumstance surrounding the NSX, Ford managed to upstage Acura on the very day of the NSX reveal with a far more exciting car that nobody knew anything about. Instead of talking about the new Ford GT for the last decade, and showing people drawings of the Ford GT, and sticking the Ford GT in movies, and hiring celebrities to do commercials with the Ford GT, and telling Motor Trend that the Ford GT was coming, and creating a Ford GT race car that never became a road car, Ford just a) developed the GT, and b) showed it to people. That was it. No bull****, no speculation, no promises. Here's our awesome car, Ford said. Don't you love it?
And the truth is, we do love the Ford GT. And frankly, we love the NSX, too. But the public reaction to both vehicles was laughably different. After years of high expectations, the collective feeling when the cover finally came off the NSX was: "About freakin' time." Whereas we went into the Ford press conference with almost no expectations, and we came out with stains on our pants.
For proof, check the view counts on Jalopnik's own articles: while the NSX story (http://jalopnik.com/acura-nsx-this-is-finally-it-1678991549) managed only 91,000 clicks, the Ford GT piece (http://jalopnik.com/ford-gt-this-is-it-1678893649) pulled in 673,000 interested readers. This is a highly scientific, tremendously professional measure that proves the new Ford GT is approximately 7.4 times cooler than the new Acura NSX.
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--iW_D9_zf--/c_fill,fl_progressive,g_center,h_77,q_80,w_137/dqgicywofrhpmnrxzfsn.jpg (http://jalopnik.com/acura-nsx-this-is-finally-it-1678991549)
Acura NSX: This Is (Finally) It (http://jalopnik.com/acura-nsx-this-is-finally-it-1678991549)After what seems like years upon years, and concepts upon concepts, we finally have a new, real,…Read more (http://jalopnik.com/acura-nsx-this-is-finally-it-1678991549)

So let this be a lesson to automakers everywhere: when you want to reveal something cool, show, don't tell. Because after years of speculation, and multiple concept cars, and dozens of promises, we all get a little sick of it. Even the Honda forums.
Now, if you'll excuse me, Acura is holding a press conference about the next NSX, which is due out in 2028. I am told it has wings.

Pride
27-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Interesting video account from one of the designers perspective.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=amrDulTlwE4

goldtop
27-11-2015, 04:39 PM
Interesting video account from one of the designers perspective.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=amrDulTlwE4

I tried sooooo hard to watch that, but...

Pride
06-01-2016, 09:04 AM
It seems that even in a "small" supercar cabin area Acura & Panasonic have managed to shoe horn a 9!!! speaker high quality audio system inside the new Nsx.

Full details have been released and shown off at the CES in Vegas.

http://prnw.cbe.thejakartapost.com/news/2016/panasonic-automotive-premiers-world-class-els-studio-premium-audio-system-in-next-generation-acura-nsx-supercar.html

Pride
07-01-2016, 09:10 PM
And here's a more detailed low down on the sound system :

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/panasonic-automotive-premiers-world-class-els-studio-premium-audio-system-in-next-generation-acura-nsx-supercar-300199334.html

Pride
18-05-2016, 05:23 PM
The technical reasons why the new nsx has Unprecedented vision for a supercar through the front screen:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2016/05/honda-nsx-acura-3dq/