PDA

View Full Version : OBX Headers for 1992 NSX

cadrega
07-01-2015, 09:02 PM
I did it!

Last night I received my OBX Headers for the NSX. The package contained the 2 headers and the 4 gaskets.

Background:
My idea was to either install CT headers or the cheapest option available. Since this is my weekend car and I just wanted to replace the boat anchors / OEM headers , the OBX at $300 was a no brainer. I also have to replace the oil pan so the headers would have to come out anyways, why not replace them then? So here we are.

First impressions (not installed):
I purchased the items on ebay. Packaging is poor, to the point that one hanger was slightly sticking out the package when I received it. There was no damage to this part though.
The stainless used is very thin, and the headers are very light. The quality of the welding on the 3 pipes is horrible: there's a gap between the runners and the flange. I took out my dremel and smoothed the parts a bit and I was able to soften the "step".
These headers were manufactured or quality checked in November 2012 according to the sticker on them, and since I cannot find a single review online I have fond belief that I am the only one who has ever bought them! :)
I wrapped one of the runners as I read on this forum it is close to the AC compressor and may heat this part too much.

I am waiting for my baffles to come in then I will move forward with the installation.

My car dynoed 243hp at the wheels on a dynojet dyno about 2 month ago in full stock mode. Since then I have installed a Taitec GTLW

Installation:
TBD

Sound:
TBD

Performance:
TBD w/ dyno.

I will keep you posted on the TBDs. I am still evaluating whether keep the cats or install some resonated test pipes.

Cheers

darock
07-01-2015, 10:38 PM
great post!
I read a lot about those OBX headers. There seems to be a more expensive version of the OBX named "Top Speed" but still the same header.

If the welds are really bad I would try to find a metal shop that checks them and possibly improves them as well. Nothing more annoying than a broken weld and another removal of the header. should be pretty cheap to have the welds checked and fixed.

I am curious if you also have to grind a little on the subframe to make the front header fit. That's the case with some of the Top Speed headers which seem to be quite popular on Prime.

Bernhard

cadrega
01-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Next week it will be header week and I will put them on (not me personally). Since I am at it I am also doing the oil pan baffles in a brand new (used) oil pan.

I wrapped one of the headers as I read on NSXCB.

The welds of the OBX are actually not bad - I guess it is a matter of perception as paranoid "driver / owner" as the cosmetic issues should not influence power. We will see.

cadrega
30-03-2015, 09:13 PM
We will never know!
I found a deal on a pair of DC headers and installed those. I still have my OBX up for grabs if anybody wants to take the leap! :)