PDA

View Full Version : Acura NSX announced

sorepaws
17-12-2014, 04:50 PM
WORLD DEBUT AT 2015 NORTH AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

17/12/14

TORRANCE, Calif., Dec. 17, 2014 – The production version of the highly anticipated Acura NSX supercar, successor to the legendary original NSX, will make its world debut at the 2015 North American International Auto Show on Jan. 12, 2015. The model will reflect the production design and specifications of the mid-engine Acura supercar that is slated to launch in 2015. To celebrate the impending debut of NSX, Acura released a 30-second teaser video that gives an early glimpse of the production car and the sound of its three-motor, twin-turbocharged Sport Hybrid power unit. View the video on Acura’s YouTube channel at youtube.com/Acura. https://www.youtube.com/user/Acura

“The next-generation NSX will deliver a ‘new sports experience’ true to its heritage and to the supercar concept that originally gave rise to the name NSX,” said Mike Accavitti, Acura division senior vice president and general manager. “The NSX will serve as the ultimate expression of Acura performance that is fueling a reenergised brand.”

An Acura NSX concept model made its debut at the 2012 North American International Auto Show, where Honda Motor Co., Ltd. President & CEO Takanobu Ito announced that development of a next-generation NSX would launch in three years, led by an American R&D team and produced at a state-of-the-art new plant in Ohio.

“After three years of intensive development work we are excited to reveal this next-generation supercar — the Acura NSX — to the world,” said Ted Klaus, chief engineer and global project leader over NSX development. “We’ve developed a human-centered supercar that responds to the will of the driver and that builds upon the NSX heritage.”

The next milestone in the launch of the NSX will be the reveal of the production version at the Acura press conference at the North American International Auto Show on Jan. 12 at 11:50 a.m. ET. Watch the press conference live at youtube.com/Acura. https://www.youtube.com/user/Acura

The NSX is being developed by a global team of engineers led by the company’s North American R&D operations in Raymond, Ohio, with design led by the Acura Design Studio in Torrance, CA. The Acura NSX will be produced exclusively at the new Performance Manufacturing Center in Marysville, Ohio, using domestic and globally sourced parts.

ENDS

britlude
17-12-2014, 05:15 PM
a sneaky peek... or should that be a very small teaser.. from acura

http://blog.caranddriver.com/heres-your-first-look-at-the-production-acura-nsx-w-video/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0RJsqrS0NY

not giving away an awful lot!

Pride
17-12-2014, 06:04 PM
[QUOTE=britlude;

not giving away an awful lot![/QUOTE]

Call me sceptical or not, but maybe it's because it's not finished yet.:rolleyes:

Pride
17-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Sorry, but if this IS a glimpse of the finished article it amazes me that the front discs look to be standard smooth cast, NON drilled, NON slotted models.

Or maybe you only get high performance discs on the "hard core" model later on in the year.:)

I don't know about you but with such garishly fancy designed open spoked wheels you would totally expect there to be a fantastic looking high performance disc backing them up as all eyes from every petrolhead will be looking down at these and laughing.

Come on Honda/Acura at least get the aesthetics correct please.:eek:

qureshia
17-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Sorry, but if this IS a glimpse of the finished article it amazes me that the front discs look to be standard smooth cast, NON drilled, NON slotted models.

Come on Honda/Acura at least get the aesthetics correct please.:eek:

No idea, but perhaps regenerative braking puts less demands on the disks

Pride
17-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Even a sub 40k current Audi A5 have discs fitted as standard that make you look in awe NOT snigger and laugh in disbelief

http://allcars-world.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/2014-audi-rs5-cabriolet.html#.VJHWO4HfWrU

Seee what I mean??

Mistercorn
17-12-2014, 10:17 PM
I know what you mean. But I am all about engineering and fitting what is right for the job. If plain disks do the job then fit them. If you have a bloated car with no energy recovery you WILL need big disks. That is not a sign of engineering success.
I look forward to the day when there is no need for brake discs because all the energy is recovered.

MC

mjames75
17-12-2014, 10:28 PM
I know what you mean. But I am all about engineering and fitting what is right for the job. If plain disks do the job then fit them. If you have a bloated car with no energy recovery you WILL need big disks. That is not a sign of engineering success.
I look forward to the day when there is no need for brake discs because all the energy is recovered.

MC
That may take a while!

Pride
17-12-2014, 10:48 PM
And when the day finally arrives that we don't need kinetic energy to stop then I'm sure we won't be driving around in desirable performance cars either so in the mean time come on Honda please make you bloody wheels sexy to the eye as well as super effient technically, as I'm sure it can be done and at the right cost.

britlude
17-12-2014, 11:06 PM
each front wheel has got an electric motor bolted to it, so plenty of retardation potential there already without a BBK!

what do you think stops your battery hand drill when you release the trigger quickly, its certainly not a brake disc and caliper????

Pride
17-12-2014, 11:30 PM
Point taken but I still think it could be more aesthetically pleasing when looking down into the wheel area, come on Honda we're not still in the nineties.:(

havoc
17-12-2014, 11:57 PM
I'm with the 'function over form' crowd - Honda have always been about fitness for purpose, not fashionable aesthetics, so why should it matter?

And Jonathan's spot-on about brake regen - between that and standard slotted disks it should still stop pretty smartly...

Pride
18-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Although function over form is ok, at £125k it also should make a statement and not leave anyone in doubt as to where it sets its targets, and I'm sorry but it just doesn't do this with flat steel discs.
The competitition its going to be up up against all realise this which is why function over form isn't the only consideration, it's probably more like profit over cost if the truth be known with Honda.
You can argue that if this is all it requires then why change, when you look at the image below you realise why.
http://www.eurocarnews.com/media/pictorials/1399/6553.jpg

WhyOne?
18-12-2014, 07:33 AM
I know what you mean. But I am all about engineering and fitting what is right for the job. If plain disks do the job then fit them. If you have a bloated car with no energy recovery you WILL need big disks. That is not a sign of engineering success.....

MC

This.

There is a reason the A5 has ridiculously large disks and enormous calipers. The thing is massively heavy. The braking system is a response to manage this problem, rather than doing the sensible, intelligent thing which is to deal with the problem.

Pride
18-12-2014, 08:26 AM
This.

There is a reason the A5 has ridiculously large disks and enormous calipers. The thing is massively heavy. The braking system is a response to manage this problem, rather than doing the sensible, intelligent thing which is to deal with the problem.

Im really NOT talking about installing over large brakes for the sake of it as that would be pointless.
What does frustrate me though is with all the latest forms of hi-tec brakes that you now see on both the aftermarket and factory fit supercars, Honda appears to go ahead and instal stoppers that don't look out of place on a Civic!!!!

The whole car has been designed as a head turning, show stopping, technology breaking, world beating and yes believe it or not an aestheticly stunning design both inside and out, and yet the brakes look ordinary (although I know they're not) but if like me one of the first things you look at when looking at these type of cars are the brake discs. The brakes outwardly portray an image of power and performance unlike any other area on a car and imho should reflect that and plain old solid cast discs just don't.:(

sorepaws
18-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Having seen an A5 driving slowly round the paddock to cool the massive exciting looking brakes because it had brake fade after 9 laps of the "Top Gear" track, if Honda can do something that eliminates this issue with smaller more esthetic discs then why not. Come to think of it I don't think I have seen the brakes on an F1 car.

goldtop
18-12-2014, 09:14 AM
Im really NOT talking about installing over large brakes for the sake of it as that would be pointless.
What does frustrate me though is with all the latest forms of hi-tec brakes that you now see on both the aftermarket and factory fit supercars, Honda appears to go ahead and instal stoppers that don't look out of place on a Civic!!!!

The whole car has been designed as a head turning, show stopping, technology breaking, world beating and yes believe it or not an aestheticly stunning design both inside and out, and yet the brakes look ordinary (although I know they're not) but if like me one of the first things you look at when looking at these type of cars are the brake discs. The brakes outwardly portray an image of power and performance unlike any other area on a car and imho should reflect that and plain old solid cast discs just don't.:(

When I look at any photos or video of the new NSX, I wish it was just the brake disks that disappointed me. :(

britlude
18-12-2014, 09:29 AM

obviously they feel it doesn't need it then! there will be a reason why they haven't fitted huge blingy carbon ceramic stoppers in there

...maybe it needs smaller discs to allow improved cooling for the front wheel motors....

Pride
18-12-2014, 09:47 AM
obviously they feel it doesn't need it then! there will be a reason why they haven't fitted huge blingy carbon ceramic stoppers in there

...maybe it needs smaller discs to allow improved cooling for the front wheel motors....

The market and price point they are targeting, will I think, totally expect to see hi-tec jaw dropping stoppers and not necessarily BIG. They certainly don't need to be blingy, (although the previous wheel design certainly was) they just need to look stunning, which they don't at the moment, as every visual detail is vitally important to this market sector.

Adamantium
18-12-2014, 01:04 PM
The video looks computer generated to me. Maybe it's still not a correct representation?

In answer to other people's points, even in wheel electric motors, which this car does not use, would not require cooling levels that would affect brake disc size.

Also, for regenerative braking to replace friction braking, the power (energy converted over time) that would need to be recoverable by the electronics would be enormous and far larger than the system can cope with. The motors are what 30bhp each?

Consider that all cars stop faster than they go, then consider the power taken to make the fastest cars go. To do 60-0 in under two seconds using just the regen braking system, you'd need a system that could deliver 0-60 in about the same time through just those two wheels. We'll ignore wind resistance for now.

in short, it's way off.

mjames75
18-12-2014, 01:05 PM
When I look at any photos or video of the new NSX, I wish it was just the brake disks that disappointed me. :(
Hits 'like button'

Dragonlady
18-12-2014, 03:34 PM
It's a very big assumption that they are cast iron brakes, they may be made of unobtanium and don't need all that show off fancy slot and holes!

b1gbrad
18-12-2014, 03:45 PM
I really don't think it's worth building any strong opinions of the new NSX based on a clip of what looks like an in-game sequence from Gran Turismo, or similar. Once the pictures, specs, prices etc. have been confirmed then yes, let's moan about the teenie-weenie brake discs then! :)

Pride
18-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Don't worry guys and dolls, as you all know the whole point of this forum is to have lively opinions and discussions on all matters NSX, both old and now new.
I can't wait to see it in the flesh:)

Senninha
18-12-2014, 11:23 PM
Unbelievable .... as owners in the main of the original why cant you guys be pleased that Honda is making the investment and looking to again raise the bar for the low to mid-range supercar.

Instead, you would rather trash the new car based on its brake discs?? Anyone checked out the standard fitment to an MP4 recently? that will be steel discs. why? because, say Maclaren, they are lighter than oversized ceramic eye catching optional brakes ... they make Maclaren a tonne of cash because the 'bling' buyers tick the options list in 7/10 purchases.

Ever given it any thought that maybe Honda might just bring this car to market with a 'standard' spec and then an options list?

One thing is for sure ... the first One Hundred owners havent been put off by small brakes!

regards Paul

NZNick
19-12-2014, 01:05 AM
I am pleased that Honda is going there again, at last. I'm intrigued as to what the actual spec(s) will be. This teaser-video is just that - a tease. Not something to base a purchasing decision on......

Pride
19-12-2014, 08:46 AM
Unbelievable .... as owners in the main of the original why cant you guys be pleased that Honda is making the investment and looking to again raise the bar for the low to mid-range supercar.

Instead, you would rather trash the new car based on its brake discs?? Anyone checked out the standard fitment to an MP4 recently? that will be steel discs. why? because, say Maclaren, they are lighter than oversized ceramic eye catching optional brakes ... they make Maclaren a tonne of cash because the 'bling' buyers tick the options list in 7/10 purchases

Calm down Senninha, nobody is slagging the car off, in fact I for one think it's a great "tour de force" of cutting edge technology and can't wait to see it and read reviews on its performance and where it stacks up against the other exotics.

But that certainly doesn't mean we can't give opinions or make judgements on what we see so far, after all if Honda/Acura decide to launch a "teaser" 3 weeks before it's official launch date then what do they expect the world to do after being "teased" for the last 3 years or more.
We, as a forum, should embrace the fact that we can make comments or form opinions on all things NSX as it creates good talking and thinking points and without those where would we be on here?

Merry Christmas, Pride

NSX 2000
19-12-2014, 09:39 AM
I really don't think it's worth building any strong opinions of the new NSX based on a clip of what looks like an in-game sequence from Gran Turismo, or similar. Once the pictures, specs, prices etc. have been confirmed then yes, let's moan about the teenie-weenie brake discs then! :)

Agreed!!!!