08-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi all,

And so it begins. I have begun on the interior, starting with the seats :
Drivers side, looking a bit tired.

Old leather stripped

new leather started

mutley
08-12-2014, 09:10 PM
New headrest with NSX logo (I was very impressed with the quality of the work)

Heated seat kit fitted (the kit includes 2 heating elements per seat)

mutley
08-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Comparison between old and new

And both complete

mutley
08-12-2014, 09:16 PM
This was done a while ago, but I thought I'd add it into my build thread:

brakes were looking a bit past it

New discs and pads on all 4 corners, and a bit of new paint on the calipers

mutley
08-12-2014, 09:22 PM
Exhaust change. OEM off, De-catted one on:

old and new

And fitted (wasn't as easy as it sounds, old bolts had to be ground off as there was nothing left of them, but got there in the end)

mutley
08-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Again, this was a few yrs ago, but the radiator required replacement, OEM off, Mishimoto fitted

just a little difference!

A few minor mods to the fan cowling to get to fit

And in it's place

Senninha
08-12-2014, 11:03 PM
Comparison between old and new

And both complete

I feel a door insert retrim to match seat centres will be on your refresh list ... seats look great Jim!

nobby
09-12-2014, 08:44 AM
the seats look very well indeed Jim. Was going to put the logo into my headrests as well but was shot down by Sudesh! :)
As Paul says you will likley need to get the other trims sorted as well to match
good job!

mutley
09-12-2014, 09:54 AM
Hi All,

I forgot to mention that I also bought extra grey leather so that I can retrim the door inserts to match. I also have bought new leather gear gaiter, handbrake cover, armrest cover and A-piller covers, but I haven't fitted tehm yet, but more photos will follow once that has been done.
Jim

mutley
20-03-2015, 03:15 PM
Hi All,

this one had been a long time coming, so long in fact that I didn't take pics of the whole process, just the finished , as I have been doing a little bit here and there when I can.

Pride
20-03-2015, 03:33 PM
Fantastic work Mutley, looks very up to date and a big improvement on origanol.

How difficult was it to do and who told you how it could be done????

And if you don't mind me asking how much for parts and or labour.

Again, well done very impressed.

darock
20-03-2015, 04:28 PM
That instrument cluster fits nicely, impressive work. Is there special electronics needed to alter the signals?

Bernhard

Silver Surfer
20-03-2015, 04:54 PM
How do you know if your door or bootlid isn't shut properly...?��

SS

Senninha
20-03-2015, 06:17 PM
How do you know if your door or bootlid isn't shut properly...?😉

SS

err, wind noise for the door, poor visibility from the bootlid ;0)

mutley
21-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Fantastic work Mutley, looks very up to date and a big improvement on origanol.

How difficult was it to do and who told you how it could be done????

And if you don't mind me asking how much for parts and or labour.

Again, well done very impressed.

Pride: it wasn't too difficult, but quite fiddly at times and there was a little extra,wiring to do (had to tap into a wire at the ECU and the rear of the wiring loom).

I initially purchased the dash and then the wiring kit from a guy on NSXPrime. I can't remember how much I paid as it was a while ago. Labour cost me nothing as I done all the work myself, including the CF surround part.

That instrument cluster fits nicely, impressive work. Is there special electronics needed to alter the signals?

Bernhard

Bernhard, the guy on Prime that I bought the wiring loom from made it "plug and play" but there was a little bit of structural work that needed doing behind the dash to allow enough room for the extra wiring, that and the wire from the ECU that had to be done.

How do you know if your door or bootlid isn't shut properly...?��

SS

Kare, quite simple really ........ I'm not a complete biff, and can see if my door is shut! Your right though, there are no extra warning lights , but I could probably make something to indicate boot / bonnet/ door open warning, but I really don't think it's necessary.

mutley
24-01-2016, 10:42 PM
OK, so it has been a while, but all going well I should be back on track. Latest from this weekend, I dyed the interior carpets black, using autoglym black dye (spray can).

The photos don't do it any justice, but I can assure you all, that they have gone from grubby grey carpets to black looking brand new.

unclebob
25-01-2016, 05:58 PM
now that is spectacular, did you use the nsx prime pages as your guide for this?

PeterW
25-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Looks good. I recall Sudesh did this to a car he was refreshing ... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6702-NSX-Refresh/page71 post no. 28. Although that was possibly a more challenging colour change, from tan to black.
The car Sudesh refreshed might be this car for sale at Plans at the moment. http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-targa-manual/4942444?v=b,

Peter

mutley
25-01-2016, 10:53 PM
now that is spectacular, did you use the nsx prime pages as your guide for this?

Uncle bob - I'm guessing you mean the dash and not the carpets? I bought all the bits from a member on Prime and used his install guide.

Looks good. I recall Sudesh did this to a car he was refreshing ... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?6702-NSX-Refresh/page71 post no. 28. Although that was possibly a more challenging colour change, from tan to black.
The car Sudesh refreshed might be this car for sale at Plans at the moment. http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/nsx/honda-nsx-targa-manual/4942444?v=b,

Peter

Peter, yeah I think so, if it was the same dye, it pretty much covers any colour. I only really needed 1 coat, but i guess lighter colours would take about 2-3 coats. Dries really quick too.

Cheers

Jim

unclebob
26-01-2016, 04:40 PM
does everything work? odometer? guages etc? did u splice your loom? what was the final cost to you?

Hagasan
26-01-2016, 06:52 PM
There's a guy making ready made kits on nsxprime if you're interested. They're from a Scandanavian guy and look very well made...Plug & Play more or less I believe..

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/193599-NSX2S2K-S2000-Instrument-Cluster-Conversion-Kit

mutley
26-01-2016, 07:40 PM
does everything work? odometer? guages etc? did u splice your loom? what was the final cost to you?

Yes it all works fine, it was almost a plug and play kit, but maybe not quite as easy as the complete kits for sale on prime now. The loom i received was complete, but i did have to splice 1 wire into the loom of the ECU to get the temp gauge to work, and there were a few mods behind the dash to do but nothing too difficult.

If I remember correctly, for some reason the Cruise control on the cluster stayed on, but i cured this by simply removing the bulb! I rarely use the cruise control, and when i do, I don't really need a light to tell me its on.

I'm hoping to get the car out for a decent drive this weekend to double check everything.

As for the final costs, i really can't remember as it was so long ago. The wiring loom I came from a guy on Prime and although I bought a AP1 dash (the early S2000 one) I was convinced to sell it and buy the AP2 version, which looks a little more modern and the red line is in the same place as the NSX. Hagasan might be the best person to ask about the costs, I really can't remember.

Hope that helps.

Jim

mutley
02-12-2020, 09:42 PM
Well, had to get a "slight" alteration to the exhaust, 2 times sport cats a a little new pipe work.

nobby
09-12-2020, 04:09 PM
tidy enough job there alright

:)

Senninha
10-01-2021, 09:19 PM
Well, had to get a "slight" alteration to the exhaust, 2 times sport cats a a little new pipe work.

With the amount of weight removed by this upgrade the back end must be flying high now Jim ... lol

HNY Buddy, and lets hope we can all look forward to summer of meets and drives!

mutley
12-01-2021, 01:11 PM
With the amount of weight removed by this upgrade the back end must be flying high now Jim ... lol

HNY Buddy, and lets hope we can all look forward to summer of meets and drives!

HA! yeah it's all about the weight saving! HNY to you, and lets hope the COVID situation doesn't spoil another season.

mutley
18-02-2021, 08:41 PM
Wow, what a hassle that was to try and find a NA1 NSX-R style bonnet for the car, (well I mean for a “reasonable” price). Ordered from Seibon , what they are calling a VSII style, but seems that I have to wait 10-12 weeks.

Anyway that will be the last part of the jigsaw, then it’s off to get the front panels sorted (they haven’t been right for years) and a nice new paint job.

I’ll do some before and after photos ........... I think this will be worth it .......... well I hope so!

mutley
20-02-2021, 05:41 PM
Hi all, No major updates really, but new front badge has arrived (in the new colour that I need) a few items from Science of Speed have arrived in U.K. and expected to be with me on Tuesday and a new front bonnet ordered via Seibon U.K. that’tt take up to 12 weeks. I’ve spoken to the body shop about the respray once all the bits are here. I think end of May/ June will see my Phoenix rise though the ashes and my car won’t be the scruffy cousin at the next NSX get together .

Alway has this space !!!

mutley
19-03-2021, 09:15 PM
Finally got around to fitting the JDM rear light clusters, and I have to say I love it. Why Honda had a different set up for U.K. I’ll ever understand as the jdm version (imho) looks far better, now I just need to work on the centre fog light conversion.

mutley
22-03-2021, 11:51 AM
ABS delete. It has never worked on my car so I won’t miss it, and if need be I can retro fit at a later date (if I get the unit repaired /overhauled /upgraded).

mutley
07-09-2021, 10:50 AM
And so it begins! Yesterday I dropped the car off at the body shop ( ML Motorsport) to get the paintwork done. It has been a very long time coming, but will post some before/ after photos when I get the car back.

goldtop
02-10-2021, 02:55 PM
Couple of Qs:

1 - does an ABS-delete complicate your insurance?

2 - colour change on the respray? (And can you give an idea of the extent and the likely final cost - by PM if you don't want to say publicly.)

Pride
02-10-2021, 03:42 PM
I asked my Classic

Pride
02-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Couple of Qs:

1 - does an ABS-delete complicate your insurance?

I asked my Classic car insurance company that exact same question two years ago and they said it wouldn’t compromise my insurance if I removed it.

2 - colour change on the respray? (And can you give an idea of the extent and the likely final cost - by PM if you don't want to say publicly.)

I asked my Classic car insurance company that exact same question two years ago and they said it wouldn’t compromise my insurance if I removed it.

Senninha
03-10-2021, 12:51 PM
Hey Jim,

What was the decision for the front bay and engine bay areas? Are you making and colour matching or have gone satin black like OEM-R variants.

Your car is going to look stunning and refinished to a stunning colour option …

Looking forward to before/after photos

regards, Paul

goldtop
03-10-2021, 07:10 PM

Which is a bit bizarre!

mutley
05-10-2021, 02:07 PM
Hi,

Er, first question, I am not really sure, never thought about it!! (i guess I better speak to my insurance!)

and 2. As my V5 ( Logbook) states the colour only as "Silver" then going from Sebring Silver to Kaiser Silver to me it's still Silver!) Now as to the cost, I am going for the full restoration respray, which means pretty much ripping the car apart, painting all the bits, and putting back together again, but not only that, I need a bit of work done as some of the panels didn't quite fit properly, so at a conservative estimate, could be anywhere between 6- 8 K .

I'll just have to wait and see if there are any issues discovered when they take it apart, so fingers crossed........

Cheers
Jim

goldtop
05-10-2021, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info Jim. Hope you have good news at the insurer.

I'd have thought at that going to a darker silver would mean that you could avoid the time/cost of internal cavity paintwork (except, perhaps, door jambs). In effect, Sebring Silver just looks like bare metal, so I don't think it would look odd when frunk or engine cover are lifted. It's an option I am considering, after remembering that I really, REALLY wanted a black NSX when I first started looking. But I'm undecided, especially if a wrap would achieve the same effect.

mutley
13-10-2021, 08:55 PM
All, here are the last photos of my car as I dropped it off at the bodyshop.

mutley
13-10-2021, 08:57 PM
And work has commenced!

Wish me luck!!!!

britlude
13-10-2021, 10:10 PM
And work has commenced!

Wish me luck!!!!
A quick lacquer and you have a unique woodgrain camo paint job :)

goldtop
13-10-2021, 10:47 PM
:) I was thinking that it looked pretty cool, too. Like one of those BMW Art paintjobs.

mutley
19-10-2021, 02:40 PM
Quick update, (no more images as yet) but the body shop has finally got my car down to bare metal. Apparently there were about 8 layers of paint on it , hence the pretty wood-look effect when sanding!

I'll update with photos when I get them.

Cheers,

Jim

goldtop
19-10-2021, 03:13 PM
Wow. Was there an option to dip-strip the panels? As they all come off, I wonder if it would save time+money?

mutley
19-10-2021, 03:29 PM
Wow. Was there an option to dip-strip the panels? As they all come off, I wonder if it would save time+money?

Either way it's done now, and waiting on further updates of prep / prime/ paint.

goldtop
20-10-2021, 03:06 PM
Cool - looking forward to seeing the results. :)

mutley
20-10-2021, 11:33 PM
Some progress so far:

Heineken
21-10-2021, 01:42 PM
.. and now polish it to high gloss :D

britlude
21-10-2021, 02:35 PM
They are being thorough then!!! Any unplanned issues or is it all good under the paint?

mutley
22-10-2021, 08:30 AM
They are being thorough then!!! Any unplanned issues or is it all good under the paint?

Apart from the front wings which were in a bit of a state (apparently full of filler and done badly in the past and really beyond economical repair), so far no real issues- the odd bent bracket that can be straightened out. It's had little dings (rear quarter, drivers door etc) over the years but nothing that can't be sorted.

Cheers,
Jim

mutley
28-10-2021, 11:02 AM
No photo updates as yet, but all the repairs to the bodywork have been completed and the panels are now ready for priming and painting.

hopefully will have some photo updates in a week or so.

mutley
16-11-2021, 04:03 PM
Nothing really to report yet, other that a few issues that were discovered. I had the slow window problem, so purchased the window fix kit and it was on the "to-do" list. As it happens, the Passenger side regulator has given up the ghost completely (even with direct power), so new one ordered from Japan........................and I thought may as well replace both while I'm at it.

Currently the car is in about a million bits, bumpers, boot, bonnet, front wings, rear quarters/wings, spoiler doors all off the car, door glass and rear hatch out.

New front wings should be arriving this week, and then will be primed to match the rest.

While the car is in its current state, I thought it was probably the best time to strip out the however many year old alarm system and get a nice new Thatcham cat 1 alarm fitted. All going well, paint will be going on potentially next week then rebuild.

Cheers
Jim

goldtop
16-11-2021, 04:53 PM
Be interested to hear how easily the new wings. From Kaz's info, the alignment of these panels can be tricky. Will you (or your body shop) have to shim or fettle them some other way?

mutley
17-11-2021, 12:55 PM
Be interested to hear how easily the new wings. From Kaz's info, the alignment of these panels can be tricky. Will you (or your body shop) have to shim or fettle them some other way?

Yes, I'd imagine that there will be a few adjustments made, but I have full faith in company doing all the work. The new bonnet had a test fit today and is looking good.

The crash bars behind the bumpers were a bit rusty so that will be coming off the car for a bit of blasting and then powder coat.

mutley
18-11-2021, 05:19 PM
Car basically stripped as far as it can be ! and the roof is now painted in very shiny new black paint.

mutley
24-11-2021, 03:37 PM
Mentioned on another thread, today's little win was finding a tyre fitter that was able to remove the cracked/split old space-saver tyre, and replace it with the folding spare of a Merc (C-class/SLK) wheel I bought on ebay.

I'm disappearing for a few weeks ( as per my job) hopefully will have some more photo updates on my return.

Cheers,

Jim

mutley
26-11-2021, 05:56 PM
New wings have arrived and test fitted, and slowly the car starts looking like a car again:

Heineken
26-11-2021, 07:57 PM
Nice progress!

mutley
26-11-2021, 09:13 PM
And test fit of the Seibon bonnet (although now not sure if the spare wheel fits in with the scoop):

Senninha
26-11-2021, 11:08 PM
I’m sure I was told that the design of the Seibon is such that the OEM spare will fit … however …

Why fit a lightweight carbon bonnet then shove a heavyweight spare you’ll never use underneath it? ;)

mutley
27-11-2021, 08:59 AM
I’m sure I was told that the design of the Seibon is such that the OEM spare will fit … however …

Why fit a lightweight carbon bonnet then shove a heavyweight spare you’ll never use underneath it? ;)

Hi Paul, Yeah i know what you mean, but just out of curiosity really. As I have the new tyre on the spare wheel, and IF/When the day comes that i part with the car it's an option to have it in.

Also, as i have lost a fair bit of weight from the front of the car, might need to create a wee bit of balance.

But its all coming on nicely.

Cheers
Jim

mutley
09-12-2021, 07:41 PM
The new colour is looking amazing, and it's starting to look like an NSX again:

Papalazarou
11-12-2021, 08:06 AM
Great effort and awesome colour. Can’t wait to see the finished car.

Cheers.

goldtop
11-12-2021, 10:28 AM
Agree on the new colour.

There was an early NA1 Kaiser Silver NSX in Ireland when I was first looking (JDM presumably). It looked the mutt's nuts. Sudesh gave me some advice on it, but I missed out.

Looking forward to seeing the finished car...

NSXGB
11-12-2021, 05:51 PM
Will look great with a set of 02+ alloys on it...

Senninha
11-12-2021, 10:38 PM
Really pleased for you Jim …

mutley
12-12-2021, 01:50 PM
Will look great with a set of 02+ alloys on it...

I know what you mean, but the ones I have on at the moment look similar and will do (for now). This is already costing me a small fortune!

mutley
19-01-2022, 10:54 AM
and a little update, front end now done and almost fitted back on the car:

mutley
19-01-2022, 11:08 AM
And I finally got around to re-trimming the door cards with the extra leather that I bought when i re-covered the seats.

NSXGB
21-01-2022, 09:33 AM
Great colour Jim. Are you painting the bonnet?

mutley
21-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the bonnet will be getting pained too, it was just put in place to check fitment and align the new front wings. Last week they were working on the rear bumper and spoiler, after that just need to secure all the parts back onto the car ........................ then onto the next phase !!

nigel
29-01-2022, 12:53 AM
Nice job so far and it’s certainly will look the business when you get it done.
Cheers
nigel

mutley
14-02-2022, 11:11 AM
Hi All,

That's the last of the bits and pieces painted and ready to go back on the car.

mutley
14-02-2022, 11:12 AM
New coil-over suspension fitted and new brake lines installed.

mutley
28-02-2022, 10:35 PM
HI All,

Not really much to update on, waiting on a few little bits coming from Japan, but in the meantime, the crash bars have been blasted and painted as they were in a bit of a state.

Senninha
09-03-2022, 07:29 PM
I’m so looking forward to seeing this beauty out in the wild … take care Jim, and maybe see you in the Autumn

mutley
16-03-2022, 07:54 PM
update:

Car body all back together, and engine out.

britlude
18-03-2022, 05:20 PM
no, will there be no end to these disasters, first all the paint falls off and you get that sorted, now the engine has fallen out!?!?

seriously, epic rebuild going on!!!!

mutley
23-03-2022, 07:14 PM
no, will there be no end to these disasters, first all the paint falls off and you get that sorted, now the engine has fallen out!?!?

seriously, epic rebuild going on!!!!

The main problem is that for every little job done, it uncovers more that needs done, now we have discovered missing bolts to replace!

All in the right direction though.

mutley
31-03-2022, 09:55 AM
Latest updates, not a lot really, still waiting on a few little parts to arrive, although the new driveshafts are here.

So this week, new rear brake lines in and bonnet prepped fro painting (the last body panel to paint and just the engine bay to get a lick of satin black).

mutley
30-04-2022, 09:30 PM
Evening All,

This week's updates, Bonet painted and engine bay has a nice lick of satin black.

Senninha
01-05-2022, 04:27 PM
I do like the engine bay in black … did a couple of conversions for owners many years ago .. time to put her back together Jim …

mutley
01-05-2022, 08:45 PM
I do like the engine bay in black … did a couple of conversions for owners many years ago .. time to put her back together Jim …

Yes it looks fantastic if I do say so myself. We are at the final stages now though, just need to get the engine in and wired up, test all the lights etc and I think we are good to go

exiges1
02-05-2022, 09:06 AM
Is the Seibon VS2 style bonnet you bought effectively a straight swap for an OEM one or did your body shop have to make fixings? I’ve never seen the underside of one of these and am interested how well they fit and utilise the factory fixings. The Downforce version did use the original hinges and latch etc. Thanks.

mutley
07-05-2022, 10:14 AM
Is the Seibon VS2 style bonnet you bought effectively a straight swap for an OEM one or did your body shop have to make fixings? I’ve never seen the underside of one of these and am interested how well they fit and utilise the factory fixings. The Downforce version did use the original hinges and latch etc. Thanks.

Hi,
Yes it fitted straight on, and the body shop even commented to me on how well it fits. At the moment they are fiddling around with the brackets to get the best alignment but other than that all the original brackets etc bolted straight on .
Hope that helps .
Cheers
Jim

exiges1
12-05-2022, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the info.

mutley
23-05-2022, 09:30 PM
Another slow week, but the Engine covers have been blasted ready for re-coating

Senninha
23-05-2022, 09:32 PM

Where are you getting these done Jim?

mutley
23-05-2022, 09:38 PM
Hi Paul,

All the work to my car is getting done at ML motorsport in Rosewell (near Edinburgh) they are on facebook and instagram etc, they do all sorts of Race prep / Repairs and Classic Restoration work. I chose them not only for the location but I've seen the cars they have worked on (last time I was in to see my car they had a 1923 BMW values at 850K !! so I thought that's just about good enough to work on my NSX)

Cheers,
Jim

goldtop
24-05-2022, 08:34 AM

Out of interest, is that vapour blasting? Looks super-clean, and I think, it's used on alu (but not ferrous).

mutley
24-05-2022, 09:14 AM
Out of interest, is that vapour blasting? Looks super-clean, and I think, it's used on alu (but not ferrous).

Honestly I have no idea what system they used, I can ask next time I am there.

Cheers,
Jim

mutley
26-05-2022, 08:15 PM
and now Red.

Heineken
28-05-2022, 06:50 PM
Nice, is it going to be wrinkled?

mutley
28-05-2022, 08:08 PM
Nice, is it going to be wrinkled?

I thought about it, but will probably leave it the way it is, easier to clean.

Cheers
Jim

mutley
05-07-2022, 08:50 PM
slight issue with a rear wheel bearing, but getting there!!

Heineken
06-07-2022, 05:43 PM
That looks .. ehmm .. impressive :D

mutley
10-07-2022, 06:48 PM
Test fit of the new manifolds / headers being made

mutley
11-08-2022, 05:11 PM
A couple more of the new manifolds and now sump has been removed cleaned up and re-fitted (with new gasket) and new clutch & flywheel kit fitted. Still feels like slow progress, but hopefully will have a bit better photos to come in the next week!

(Note for the eagle eyed - this was still part of the test fit, and the manifolds joints are now welded up correctly)

mutley
30-08-2022, 09:46 PM
Car not quite ready, we hit a slight snag with the new manifolds. The test fit was perfect BUT that was with the gearbox off, seems that with the box on, there is a bit of a snag, so its off to get the "middle" pipe modified.

The end is in sight though (and about time too)

mutley
31-08-2022, 08:12 PM
Little manifold snag rectified, not long to go now!

mutley
17-11-2022, 10:50 PM
Hi All,

It's been a while since I last updated, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, new manifolds on and engine back in.

sorepaws
19-11-2022, 11:07 AM
looking really good Jim

mutley
29-11-2022, 06:43 PM
Hi all, engine in all connected up and back on it's wheels, not long now.

goldtop
04-12-2022, 09:36 AM
Looking good. :)

(but I missed the front wing info!)

mutley
04-12-2022, 07:45 PM
Looking good. :)

(but I missed the front wing info!)

OK, long story short - When the paint was stripped off the car, my original wings were in a really bad way,getting a set of OEM wings was expensive, Tegiwa had this set available and it worked out a bit cheaper (and looks a bit different) so I went for it.

Cheers,
Jim

mart155
07-12-2022, 04:04 PM
Looks fantastic Jim, superb job.

mutley
09-01-2023, 03:44 PM
Hi All,

no real updates as such, needed to get 2 x lambda sensors. they have now arrived, so hopefully a meaning full update soon.

mutley
01-02-2023, 12:03 PM
Hi All,

I know there has been a lot of people watching this thread with eager anticipation to see the finished product of my car, well, in a typical "sod's Law" turn, Yes, the car is up and running just waiting on MoT, HOWEVER, the RAF are deploying me overseas from Feb until August, so the car will be going straight into storage until I get back!!! talk about bad timing.

If I get more photos, I will post them up, but until then it's all on hold (again).

Cheers,
Jim

Senninha
02-02-2023, 08:48 AM
Stay well, stay safe Jim, and as you know, the offer still stands if you’d like to save storage costs and have her sympathetically bedded in so you can jump in and enjoy in August, just say the word ;)

Genuinely pleased for you, its been a long journey, health to enjoy for many years and miles

All the best, Paul

Hi All,

I know there has been a lot of people watching this thread with eager anticipation to see the finished product of my car, well, in a typical "sod's Law" turn, Yes, the car is up and running just waiting on MoT, HOWEVER, the RAF are deploying me overseas from Feb until August, so the car will be going straight into storage until I get back!!! talk about bad timing.

If I get more photos, I will post them up, but until then it's all on hold (again).

Cheers,
Jim

paulc
03-02-2023, 03:45 PM
Stay safe Jim, I was in the army for 23 years so understand your frustration

mutley
14-06-2023, 06:28 PM
Evening All,

Apologies, still no update images yet as I am still away, but I have been in touch with the garage, and all the car is waiting on is the new alarm system fitted and MoT, which should be in the next few weeks but until then it's safely stored away. All going well I will be collecting the car sometime in early August, and then I will update again.

Cheers
Jim

mutley
11-08-2023, 10:49 AM
Morning All,

Just a quick update, car is now back on the road - MoT passed, taxed, then I go to collect it and notice a crack in the windscreen about 15 cm in the from the top corner on the drivers side!! hurumph!

Papalazarou
11-08-2023, 12:44 PM
Morning All,

Just a quick update, car is now back on the road - MoT passed, taxed, then I go to collect it and notice a crack in the windscreen about 15 cm in the from the top corner on the drivers side!! hurumph!

That sucks. Assuming you are going through your insurance company. They normally then tell you to go direct through their accredited windscreen company. I did this last year and it was a massive pain. If I were to do it again, I would speak to them and find out whether they are going to order all the extra parts required for the repair. Otherwise they will send the windscreen guy out with the new screen which he cannot fit!
TBH you only need three components anyway; 1. The yellow fixings that sit underneath the lower moulding (these are hard to remove without breakage), 2. The top channel strip that fits in the channel between the glass and the roof, and 3. The upper moulding strip that fits into the channel strip and needs trimming at each end. I guarantee you they will only order the windscreen and then everything else will be on back-order.
However, the top strip and moulding strips are available through Amayama for £22.00 each, Or £75.00 from HUK, the robbing bastards!

mutley
11-08-2023, 04:00 PM
Ironically I just had the new upper strip fitted .

Oh and the price via auto glass (the approved company for my insurance) price through insurance £115, price paying private £3383.80 !

Guess I’ll use the insurance

Papalazarou
11-08-2023, 05:41 PM
Ironically I just had the new upper strip fitted .

Oh and the price via auto glass (the approved company for my insurance) price through insurance £115, price paying private £3383.80 !

Guess I’ll use the insurance

There’s a chance you might be able to save the upper moulding.
With mine, they turned up with the glass after three weeks. But nothing else. They had to order the other parts.
Two months later they arrive. The guy came back, but didn’t have the bottom clips, so I had to glue the broken old ones back together and use them.
A few later the guy delivered the new clips which I fitted. I think the total time frame was just over three months. When I asked why the delay, I was told that they weren’t an emergency service! I thought that was hilarious.
Good luck Jim.

Cheers.

Senninha
14-08-2023, 10:50 AM
“When I asked why the delay, I was told that they weren’t an emergency service! I thought that was hilarious” … excellent, maybe not an emergency but isnt there a question about the legality driving with a cracked screen as well as integrity of the unit in the event of a further incident?

mutley
22-08-2023, 04:18 PM
Here we go folks, what we have been waiting for, the finished article (more photos to come when I collect).

Papalazarou
22-08-2023, 06:07 PM
Here we go folks, what we have been waiting for, the finished article (more photos to come when I collect).

That looks fantastic! You should be really happy with it. I look forward to seeing it next year at the NSX mega meet!

Just need to get that front plate off :P

Cheers.

mutley
22-08-2023, 06:58 PM
That looks fantastic! You should be really happy with it. I look forward to seeing it next year at the NSX mega meet!

Just need to get that front plate off :P

Cheers.

On the front number plate issue, I went for the SoS front mount bracket, now (again) with hindsight I should have went for the "stealth" bracket that folds away underneath. If I need more parts from SoS I might have to add that on.

Cheers
Jim

mutley
29-08-2023, 03:00 PM
I'm having a little trouble uploading new photos, anyway car made it to Silverstone and back, although was only 99% ready, but I was determined to get it there.

Senninha
31-08-2023, 08:01 AM

Stunning Jim … you should be very pleased … like many rare beasts, it’s had a long gestation period but looks to have been worth the wait … very pleased for you and see you and the beast at an NSX meet soon! Best, Paul

Kaz-kzukNA1
31-08-2023, 11:19 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AIL4fc91DdxGn8cyXfaybsYyyBA7-NsCwmQtXaw9RwKINuujT6avzwvZ1sQ3r9zdkO3COKgaqPE-IFzEeAg0sqeHfGnMruIgm5HTjojuqFVoCq9Rk2hvv1YQwoMbdU w-tZjbmmVcGDpD60q3xenPzksa3vLmIA=w1080-h810-s-no?authuser=0

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AIL4fc9tToCGRj2QS1PCCdWwMYp5k2UnJnfgjb1lfEBkieY_zk w0mvF0_co7731zGtSJWaRT1oSIVMLM8rphtvxnW2_J1sTvOdGg tdiCGo_QsWYrmxOGKcHlJPkgjBe1EOuXZnvbeuISyDnCRMXhvz _ClM_-bw=w1080-h810-s-no?authuser=0

Jim, so good to see you at Silverstone Festival last Sunday.
More than 10 years since last time we met.

Always this colour is a special one.
Few photos for you.

Kaz

mutley
04-09-2023, 02:34 PM
Thanks Kaz I couldn't get any uploaded, (maybe the fie size as too big).

mutley
12-12-2023, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

Still no real "updates" as such, but after my August outing to Silverstone that got my car back into the wild, I wasn't 100% happy with the handling. It just didn't feel right. My first worry was about the suspension change to coil-overs leaving me to think "Oh what have I done", but after a little bit of investigation, it turned out to be the rear wheel alignment was out a little. So, back to the garage and after several soakings in WD40, the rear toe arms just wouldn't budge, so new ones ordered and that's getting done now.

Not the best time of year for big garage bills, so the work has eased off a little, and even though I have a couple if things still to do (couple of electrical issues to fix) it's still a work in progress.
Cheers,
Jim

mutley
04-03-2024, 08:57 AM
Morning All,

Well story so far, I'm still having the odd little electrical "niggles" but another plan has been formulated, and I'll report back with updates as soon as I can get them.

Cheers,
Jim