PDA

View Full Version : Rear oxygen sensor question

Martin
08-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Hello

Although my car is currently driving fine, I have a suspicion that the rear oxygen sensor on my car is going to need replacing.

Does anyone know..
1 - How much for an original Honda part?
2 - How much effort/time/money to install? (Honda or non-Honda to do the install)

Cheers
Martin

Papalazarou
08-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Hi Martin,

I replaced one a few months ago on my 96 car when the ECL and traction lights came on at the same time.
You can source them from good motor factors but it's worth shopping around for the best price.
I ended up with a 'fuel parts' sensor which cost me around £70 which may have been a bit on the steep side. They're not too hard to fit although it's probably welded itself in a bit. From what I've read, the rear one is easier to fit than the front one. All you need is a sturdy ratchet with a long extension.
If you go to a franchise they will charge around £330.00!

Just out of interest, what symptoms do you have?

Here's my original thread with some helpful leads from Darren;

http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=990&highlight=oxygen+sensor

Cheers,

James.

Martin
09-05-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi James

Symptoms were same as your NSX, ie ECL & TCS light. I suspected the rear sensor, as the front sensor went some time ago, and apparently if one goes it makes the other more likely to go. Otherwise the car has been A1 reliable since I bought it nearly 2 years ago, so I shouldnt complain.

Unfortunately I've already gone the franchise route, but if the sensor goes in a few years time again, hopefully I will then save money from your advice :)

Cheers
Martin

NSA
10-05-2006, 10:04 PM
I've had an oxygen sensor and two ABS sensors go on my NSX. I let the dealer do the first two but sourced the parts for the second ABS sensor and fitted it myself. It's a doddle and total cost was less than a third of the dealer quote.

An ABS sensor in the UK costs something like £200 inc VAT, plus c£100 fitting. Dali will sell you an OEM part for £85 all-in. It's not about the money, it's just common sense.

Gary
24-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Hi

I've changed both Oxygen sensors on my 92. I sourced them from Partco for approx. £70 each.

Fitting was awkward (with ramps) but not overly complicated, there are some helpful postings on NSXPrime. Make sure you've got the right size spanner (22mm I seem to remember) as you will need to swing on it to remove the old sensors. Don't be afraid to remove heat shields and/or subframe braces to get better access to sensors.

The fiddliest part of the job was the connectors and cable clips!

Changing my sensors made the world of difference to the performance and economy of the car. I think they degrade over time and you don't necesarily notice the effect until the new ones are fitted.

If you need any more info, feel free to contact me.

Cheers
Gary

teppy
17-10-2009, 02:16 AM
Hello
Although my car is currently driving fine, I have a suspicion that the rear oxygen sensor (http://www.car-stuff.com/oxygensensor.htm) on my car is going to need replacing.
Does anyone know..
1 - How much for an original Honda part?
2 - How much effort/time/money to install? (Honda or non-Honda to do the install)

Some honda cars has two sensors that read oxygen levels in the exhaust when the engine is running. It won't be as hard as long as you know the basic steps of replacing the o2 sensor.