PDA

View Full Version : Replacement seals / Weather strips / trim for for full car respray

Jivaldinho
05-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Hi guys,

I was wondering what body seals, trims and weather strips would need replacing if I were to have my car resprayed. A full car respray is unavoidable as I want the body work to look as best as it can be.
I have also noticed that when the car is getting washed and the jet wash goes over top of the windows I get water dripping into the cabin. Although this only seems to happen with great water pressure it isn't something I want happening.
Finally the black rubber seal across the top of the windscreen is looking extremely dated and has shrunk as well so that needs replacing too. I have a list of parts that i think i would need but it would be a major help if anyone else who has undertaken such a task be able to fill in the gaps.

I noticed underneath the centre pillar is some sort of rubber strip, mine has been painted over (cowboy job) but i cannot find the part number for that rubber seal / strip

What i think i need

73151-SL0-023 Molding, FR, Windshield (upper)

73151-SL0-013 Fastener, FR, Windshield (upper)

72335-SL0-J11 Weaatherstrip, R. Door (inner)

72375-SL0-J11 Weaatherstrip, L. Door (inner)

72310-SL0-023 Weatherstrip, R. Door (Lower)

72350-SL0-023 Weatherstrip, L. Door (Lower)

72381-SL0-013 Weatherstrip, R. Door (upper)

72391-SL0-013 Weatherstrip, L. Door (upper)

74200-SL0-A01 Cowl Top assembly (mine is damaged in one corner)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

britlude
05-12-2014, 10:40 PM
As far as I know the rubber strip at the bottom of the b pillar cover comes with the cover... The same with the rubber edging on the trims that go over the top of the doors and down the screen. However, there was mention that sos in usa can supply the overdoor rubber trim strip so may do the b pillar cover edge seal too.... Worth an ask!!!

Kaz-kzukNA1
06-12-2014, 04:15 PM
For the windshield upper molding and fastener, please refer to the following post that includes the link to the blog as well as the TSB.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?11372-Windscreen-Upper-Molding&p=104004#post104004

You must follow the procedure in the TSB.
Please double check your parts no.. Honda parts system uses different main parts no. (the first 5 digits) for different parts and one of them should be 73152-SL0-013.

If you need to replace the windshield, do it first or at the same time when replacing the fastener and the molding. Make sure to wipe off the excess sealant before it sets otherwise you are going to have big time removing the fastener next time. No need to say how difficult it is to clean the remaining sticky butyl tape if it gets in contact with the excess sealant.

Before making the decision going for the respraying, you may want to partially 'test wrap' the car to see the effect of the colour and investigate the possibility of wrapping rather than spraying unless you have bad oxidation on the panel.

For the door weatherstrip, before buying any parts, I strongly recommend investigating exactly from where it's leaking.
Also, as your NSX seems to have parts from different year models or country specs, please double check the alignment of the door panel and the door window glass.
If they are off too far, new parts won't fix the issue.

On many occasions, the upper weatherstrip was not installed properly causing water leakage and wind noise so that's another factor.

Before replacing the upper weatherstrip, please check the spec of your triangle front sash.

http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/entry.php?870-Final-Touch

If you have the earlier spec front sash, you must first replace it to the later spec before replacing the weahterstrip. Otherwise, it will make the new weatherstrip to take set at wrong place resulting in even worce water leakage.
The early spec front sash is not compatible with the later spec weatherstrip and if you place the order now, you will be receving only the later spec weatherstrip reagardless of the parts no. you use.

The parts manufacture of the front sash didn't tell this design change to Honda so the Honda parts system still shows just one parts no. for the front sash when there are actually two different types so you must visually inspect it and not by the parts no..

Regarding some of the parts included in the OP, I don't think they will cause water leakage and thus, may not required but again, without knowing from where the water is leaking, it's only a guess.

Kaz

Jivaldinho
07-12-2014, 04:55 AM
Hi Kaz,

I was considering a wrap but I love the Imola Orange Pearl paint too much and I haven't been able to find a wrap to match. I was thinking of the Lamborghini Diablo SE30 Jota Purple as an alternative but it would then clash with the planned orange / black / alcantara Interior. The problem with the current paint job is that the black seals around the side mirrors, door locks and those behind the panels have been painted or in some cases half painted so takes away from the look of the car hence looking at a paint job. I will look at more wrap colours and options and see if there is anything that comes close to IOP.

I do have a problem with my windows ie when they go up, they don't go over the weather strip. Instead they get caught underneath. I have to put the window up while pushing against the window for it to close properly. This is a problem on both sides of the car. to me it seems that the windows are not going up in the original alignment and are being forced inwards almost.

I will try to get a video clip of where the water is leaking from next time I get the car washed so I can get a better idea of what needs to be done.

Sol

Jivaldinho
06-01-2015, 07:29 AM
I left the car parked for a week as I was waiting for a new battery (Lings charged me £75 where as Swansway Honda wanted £240!!!!)

I came back to the car to find the passenger seat had drops of water on the seat but the footwell was dry. The driver side footwell is soaking wet. It has been raining everyday but I didn't expect the leak to be so bad.

From the links provided by Kaz above I checked and it seems like I have the newer style of sash so i should be ok to order the weather-strip along with the door opening trim as the installed one has seen better days. Lets see if this fixes my problem unless someone has other ideas as to what it could be???

britlude
06-01-2015, 09:24 AM
After lots of hunting on mine I found the problem...the water gets in behind the rubber seals. I discovered this AFTER buying shiny new rubbers!!!! If the trims over the doors and down the pillars have been off, usually during a respray, chances are the sponge used between the body and trim to stop water ingress isn't doing its job. This lets the water get behind the rubber and run down the pillar. Is the cloth pillar trim wet at the bottom front or back? And is the sill wet between where the 2 door rubbers sit??

You have to remove the door pillar trim and run a bead of gutter seal, NOT silicone, to reseal the join. I've got to do this on the drivers side of mine as its returned after having the new screen fitted.

The same applies to some extent begin the b-post cover trims. Basically check BEHIND the rubbers, see if there is wet there....

Hope that helps

mutley
06-01-2015, 10:18 AM
This is also something on my list of jobs to do, although is very last on the (very long) list. I have seen a car wrapper (Paul's) and it looked fantastic, however I'll be going for a full respray due to the fact that my paint can only be described as propper F***ed!.

I also need a new upper windscreen moulding as it's currently being held in by tape! and my door rubbers are pretty compressed and a bit past it.

Cheers
Jim

mjames75
06-01-2015, 12:06 PM
Are you guys sure the paint is beyond repair, usually a painter will always tell you a respray is in need as more money for them, but I have seen many cars fixed will a simple wet sand and machine polish, aslong as its not faded or the lacquer is not peeling. I recently did my yellow car, although the plastics seems to absorb the paint different on the nsx compared to other cars-although i think its a honda thing as bumpers are sprayed in a separate factory i think...Anyway, the paint came up a treat considering its 150k miles of use and original paint! Needs another going over with finer compounds..
http://s23.postimg.org/499dxh92j/20141108_003515.jpg

mutley
06-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Yes I'm afraid so, my paint is way beyond repair, and there are stone chips, scratches, faded, laquer peeling. It wil be far easier to respray, oh and I'm going for a slight colour change too

Jim