PDA

View Full Version : NSX 1 = Senna; NSX 2 =Alonso!?

goldtop
10-11-2014, 10:32 AM
Wondering if Honda will want to repeat the F1 driver relationship for marketing of the new NSX? As they are about to re-enter F1 with McLaren, the obvious candidate would be Alonso (if the paddock rumours at the time of writing are true). Got to admit that I feel no warmth for him. It would surely have a current driver and a WDC winner, too.

Or... assuming that the new McLaren (P13, Black Swan or whatever it's called this week) will be an NSX competitor, there's zilch chance of a McLaren F1 driver doing PR for Honda's road cars.

Wild card: it's built in the USA and so perhaps there's an Indy Car driver lined up?

NSX 2000
10-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Well I would be more than happy if they turned to Dario Franchitti. Indy Car Champ 4 times, all with Honda engines.

L696ULO
10-11-2014, 11:36 AM
If McLaren kept Button then Honda would have a driver that had a first gen NSX to promote the new one

Pride
10-11-2014, 12:15 PM
And JB is someone who is totally respected and trusted in Japan, Britain and USA, it's a no brainer to me.:rolleyes:

goldtop
10-11-2014, 07:25 PM
I guess that Franchitti's post-accident condition means that he can't do any purposeful driving for development input? But it makes sense for him to play some role in the USA.

Button would seem a natural, but all the signs are that his star is waning somewhat.

Hmmm...

TheSebringOne
10-11-2014, 07:35 PM
I really hope Mclaren retain JB but I think they will keep youth for long term planning & to off set the cost of Alonso.

Pride
10-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Button would seem a natural, but all the signs are that his star is waning somewhat.

Hmmm...[/QUOTE]

Waning??? No way!
Check out last Sunday, most people realise that if JB was given the right car he could well be King again, he has an affinity with the origanol NSX, he speaks Japanese, and on top of all that he's well liked and respected where ever he goes.
I still reckon Honda will have a major say as to whether maclaren get rid of him for next year or not and if he does eventually go I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went to the states and did a Mansell, as he's still got it in him.
Only time will tell.

goldtop
10-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I still reckon Honda will have a major say as to whether maclaren get rid of him for next year

Yes, but the fact that JB's so downbeat at the moment is telling. Seems Honda has not pressured McLaren on JB at all.

Pride
10-11-2014, 09:09 PM
I think you will be surprised what might be said behind closed doors with Honda and Maclaren.
After all why has nothing been announced officially yet and as regards "downbeat" after last weekends result I can't remember seeing him so relaxed and smiling, got a feeling he really does know something we don't and it could well be in Japanese :)

goldtop
10-11-2014, 10:38 PM
Well, it's a case of 'musical chairs'. If Alonso isn't going to McLaren (seems to be some brinkmanship on this), then just maybe JB's seat will be safe when the music stops. Side issue: if the smaller teams fold, and 3-car teams are on for next year, JB'll probably be OK, but his options are wider than just staying at McLaren.

sorepaws
11-11-2014, 09:11 AM
Its always interesting that the link between Senna and the NSX is the one that comes to mind, Senna was without doubt the best racing driver of his era (maybe all time), but it seems to be forgotten that Bobby Rahal was one of the test drivers who put "drivability" into the NSX. Rahal was 3 times winner of the Indy Car series. So maybe a US driver would be first choice for the new NSX ?

L696ULO
11-12-2014, 06:59 AM
McLaren have retained JB for the 2015 season

NSXGB
11-12-2014, 08:19 AM
McLaren have retained JB for the 2015 season

I think that is a sensible decision.

havoc
11-12-2014, 09:13 AM
About time. Wonder whether it was some hard negotiating by someone or big Ron playing politics that delayed it?

Pride
11-12-2014, 11:22 AM
Waning??? No way!
Check out last Sunday, most people realise that if JB was given the right car he could well be King again, he has an affinity with the origanol NSX, he speaks Japanese, and on top of all that he's well liked and respected where ever he goes.
I still reckon Honda will have a major say as to whether maclaren get rid of him for next year or not and if he does eventually go I wouldn't be at all surprised if he went to the states and did a Mansell, as he's still got it in him.
Only time will tell.

Fantastic news for Britain, maclaren, Honda, F1 and of course JB himself.

Pride
11-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I think you will be surprised what might be said behind closed doors with Honda and Maclaren.
After all why has nothing been announced officially yet and as regards "downbeat" after last weekends result I can't remember seeing him so relaxed and smiling, got a feeling he really does know something we don't and it could well be in Japanese :)

Always expect the unexpected when Honda are involved with their favourite (and mine) JB. :)

L696ULO
11-12-2014, 12:34 PM
I understand JB was chosen for monetary reasons as Magnussen's Danish backers hadn't stumped up some cash.

Pride
11-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Hopefully with the right car and now the "better" engine JB should show his true potential again.
Imho I reckon he could still be the face for the new NSX, Honda is probably discussing that very subject as we speak, watch this space.:)

goldtop
11-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Well, that's interesting. Back to the original reason for starting the thread: JB to help market the new NSX? As a past owner of the original NSX (now owned by a forumite?), and also seen hustling the little S600 around Monaco, JB could provide some meaningful advertising for Honda.

NSXGB
11-12-2014, 02:18 PM
I like JB but have to say that unfortunately Alonso will show him who's the daddy driving the same car.

WhyOne?
11-12-2014, 04:32 PM
I think JB will do a very good job of keeping Fred honest.

What the two of them need now is a good engine in a decent car. They had one of these elements last season, and that has now been ditched......

Pride
11-12-2014, 06:30 PM
I like JB but have to say that unfortunately Alonso will show him who's the daddy driving the same car.

You're on NSXGB, Ģ20 says JB will finish above the prima doņa, golden balls,"I'm the best" Spaniard.
I could have said worse but thought it best not to, I don't want to upset the moderators too much.:)

TheSebringOne
11-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Made my day to hear JB is still in F1.

NSXGB
11-12-2014, 10:25 PM
You're on NSXGB, Ģ20 says JB will finish above the prima doņa, golden balls,"I'm the best" Spaniard.
I could have said worse but thought it best not to, I don't want to upset the moderators too much.:)

Easy money. ;)

But I'd love to be proved wrong.

Problem Child
14-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Easy money. ;)

But I'd love to be proved wrong.

Fernando (aka Andrea Faustini) is now free to concentrate his efforts on F1 now his stint in X factor is over. Similarity is amazing!!!

Pride
14-12-2014, 02:36 PM
Fernando (aka Andrea Faustini) is now free to concentrate his efforts on F1 now his stint in X factor is over. Similarity is amazing!!!
Lol, that's true except JB is not just a better driver he's also a better singer.

In fact this is the song he hopefully will be singing again soon, if not next year then the following.:)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tBtOt6RlmzQ